Ratings: The Following and Polarizing Bones Rise With Finales, Voice, Revolution and Castle Dip

Get More: Finales, News, Ratings

Ratings Bones Following FinalesFox’s Monday dramas each went out on an upswing last night, while NBC’s The Voice lowered.

Bones wrapped Season 8 with a controversial twist, 7.4 million total viewers and a 2.1 rating (per finals), rising a tenth in the demo week-to-week and up 11 percent from its previous finale.

RELATED | Bones Finale Post Mortem: Show Boss Talks Booth and Brennan’s New Obstacle, Season 9 Time Jump and the Death of [Spoiler]

The Following‘s freshman finale led out of that with 7.8 mil and a 2.7, up 11 and 13 percent.

RELATED | The Following Season Finale Recap: Boom Goes the Denouement

With 12.7 million viewers and a 4.3 rating (adjusted up per finals), The Voice dropped 12 percent week-to-week, while Revolution slipped two tenths to 5.4 mil/1.8, placing second behind time slot rival Castle (10.5 mil/2.0, down 10 and 13 percent) in the demo.

Teeing up the aforementioned Castle, ABC’s Dancing With the Stars (13.5 mil/2.1) was flat, per finals.

RELATED | Castle Recap: Beckett Says Those Four Little Words

Over on CBS, How I Met Your Mother (6.9 mil/2.7) was flat in the demo versus its last fresh outing, yet led all of Monday’s scripted fare in the measure. With an original lead-in, Rules of Engagement (6 mil/2.1) surged 25 percent. 2 Broke Girls (7.7 mil/2.6) and Mike & Molly (7.9 mil/2.4) each added two tenths, while Hawaii Five-0 (7.8 mil/1.7) dipped a tenth, trailing both of its 10 o’clock rivals.

RELATED | Save the Dates: Our Calendar of More Than 100 Season and Series Finales!

The CW’s Oh Sit! (730K/0.3) and 90210 (550K/0.3) were both flat.

Comments (52)

• Great ratings for Castle considering episode didn’t air in Boston area.

Comment by Joy – April 30, 2013 08:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Those Castle ratings do consider the Boston area. It’ll adjust down later in the day.

Comment by martina – April 30, 2013 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Unlikely… The ratings in Boston were negligible to begin with so the impact in the Nationals will be negligible as well. Castle will stay at 2.0 and around 10.4M. The loss in viewers will be due to the 1 minute over run from DWTS, but the DWTS will have no impact on the demo since both scored a 2.1 in the 9:30/10:00 half hours.

Comment by eridapo – April 30, 2013 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Finals are in.. No adjustments for Castle but there was an adjustment for Revolution

The Voice 4.3
        DWTS 2.1
        HIMYM 2.7
        Bones 2.1
        ROE 2.1
        The Following 2.7
        2BG 2.6
        M&M 2.4
        Castle 2.0
        Revolution 1.8
        H50 1.7

Comment by eridapo – April 30, 2013 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ouch at H50. The episode was good at first but it became annoying and unbearable so I switched channels.

Comment by King – April 30, 2013 08:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ve only ever seen that “followed by a tv show” shtick work once, and that was when COPS followed Mulder and Scully on THE X-FILES. That was classic. This was boring. WAY WAY too much exposition done by the talk show host in the context of her show.

Comment by meme – April 30, 2013 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Castle’s dip doesn’t surprise me. You can’t promote a ‘clips’ show and expect it to perform as well as an original episode.

Comment by Jaime Cieszynski – April 30, 2013 08:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Castle did not air in the Boston area. That explains the dip.

Comment by Squintern – April 30, 2013 08:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No…. it’s one of the reasons for the dip but not the main one. I don’t live anywhere near the Boston area and I was put off by the idea of having to watch a bunch of clips from the show. I did end up watching the episode and I kept changing the channel when they ran clips.

Comment by Alex – April 30, 2013 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Sad, because then you kind of missed the point of the episode and everything that made Castle and Caskett “them”!

Comment by CastleFanForLife – April 30, 2013 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Well the clips were great! That was your loss, this episode is probably one of the best of the season and it won a spot on my top 10… Also another reason it dipped is that someone uploaded the episode like 5 days before it air, so that affects the ratings

Comment by luli – April 30, 2013 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • do you know that this episode was on youtube before and it was not aired in Boston??

Comment by gabr923 – April 30, 2013 08:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • did the promote the show anywhere?

Comment by JAA – April 30, 2013 08:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Two things. It was pre-empted in Boston and secondly the episode was posted on the Internet so many would have seen it that way instead of the live version both affecting the ratings.

Comment by Barb – April 30, 2013 09:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Keep in mind that Castle got leaked online already the week before due to iTunes Germany and France accidentally releasing the wrong episode! Also, it did not air in Boston last night out of respect to the Boston bombings.
      Also, this WAS an original episode, tho there were a lot of clips those clips while being an amazing history of flashbacks (a true love letter to the fans) helped move the plot of the episode forward!
      Last night’s episode of Castle was OUTSTANDING and a true gift to the fans! For me, it’s right up there with ‘Always’ and ‘The Lives of Others’ (100th ep) – truly EPIC!

So given the factors mentioned above a 2.0 rating and 10,63 million viewers are great ratings for last night! Thank you US Castle fans for watching live! You guys are amazing! :)

Comment by CastleFanForLife – April 30, 2013 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 90210 with a 0.2 and total of 540,000 viewers. I’m honestly so proud of this shows ratings and the fact it’s lasted so long. Only episodes 113 and 114 to go!

Comment by JJC (@GizmoAries93) – April 30, 2013 08:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great for the Following and Castle last night. Keep in mind that Castle was pre-empted in Boston where the ABC affiliate ran a season 2 episode starting Tom Bergeron. As it stands now Castle has taken over the 10PM slot. The Following has risen in its last two outings and maybe this is a sign of stability.

Comment by eridapo – April 30, 2013 08:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whatever aired in Boston IS included in the Castle rating. It will be excluded in the actual national rating released this afternoon but is included in the fast national.

Comment by MM – April 30, 2013 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • a repeat of Castle aired in Boston

Comment by JAA – April 30, 2013 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think switching Nikita to Monday night, while pushing 90210 to Friday would have been the best. I mean, burn the canceled series off there and push the one show that could at least benefit from the Monday night slot. Yeah, it’s a little late now, but it could have easily been done after both shows when on a small break in mid-March.

Comment by JJC (@GizmoAries93) – April 30, 2013 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree no reason to keep 90210 on Monday especially since most knew that this season was its last for sure.

Comment by Amy – April 30, 2013 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched Castle on YouTube earlier yesterday to my surprise and again last night..so great! <3<3

Comment by tahina – April 30, 2013 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ok because castle got pre empted in boston do u think that the final ratings will be adjusted down?

Comment by Kd – April 30, 2013 09:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No… The repeat in Boston probably did a 4/10 in the demo and less than 50K viewers in Boston, so its impact on the Nationals would be insignificant.

Comment by eridapo – April 30, 2013 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does this mean we’re near the end of Dancing with the Stars? When your 8 and 9 p.m. show has the same demo as your 10 pm show, isn’t that generally considered pretty bad, since 10 pm has lower demo ratings in general? One more season maybe?

Comment by Lola – April 30, 2013 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Perfect example of ratings “problems” and demos. Castle has nearly twice as many viewers but the same demo as Revolution. The Voice has 20% more viewers and twice the demo (which I find hard to believe) and it seems like Castle is picked on for ratings. It is basically the same for Body of Proof. I guess networks haven’t figured out that people over 49 actually get to the store and buy things. Plus the population in general is aging. Cutting a demo at age 49 is absolutely absurd!!

Comment by Boiler – April 30, 2013 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “The CW’s Oh Sit! (800K/0.3) was flat, while 90210 (515K/0.2) slipped a tenth.”

And they stopped showing the already produced episodes of The Cult for this?! I know the show didn’t have a lot of fans, but it really would be nice to see how such a serialized piece ended. It was certainly doing as well as 90210! And it was replaced by Oh Sit! which has to have production costs. I would hope that the CW would follow the lead of other networks and show the remaining episodes in a burn off slot over the summer, but, uh, the CW doesn’t do Saturdays. Couldn’t we at least have access to the remaining six episodes on line?

Comment by MaryAnn – April 30, 2013 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Do you have data on how OLTL and AMC performed on hulu? I’m not sure how those “ratings” work since it’s online, but I’m curious how day 1 performed.

Comment by Jen – April 30, 2013 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • TVLINE will not be covering the AMC/OLTL reboots’ performance.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – April 30, 2013 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Matt, do you have any information about who would be covering the AMC/OLTL reboots performance? Thanks!

Comment by Eric – April 30, 2013 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Maybe our very good friends at SoapsInDepth.com? Not sure.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – April 30, 2013 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thanks. Though that’s a bummer. TVLINE has given it all sorts of press leading up to the launch, I hoped to be able to find that info here. Thanks anyway! :)

Comment by Jen – April 30, 2013 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That’s a bummer its kinda interesting since this is the first of its kind.

Comment by Amy – April 30, 2013 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HIMYM Was a great episode. Loved the ending and the guest stars. Robin knows how to take care of her man. Glad it still has ratings in the demo even if people aren’t talking about it in the Reply section of TVLine.

Comment by Gerald – April 30, 2013 10:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree – a very good HIMYM episode last night. I like that Becki [Quinn] returned – the guest cast is always great about coming back – adds a lot of value to the storyline and continuity each time they return. Becki is wonderful and a good sport.

I guess just a couple of episodes left for S8. I’m still wondering how/when Robin will find out about how/why Ted and Victoria’s wedding plans ended. It would be great to have Ashley make a return visit to the show [I really like her and the character Victoria]. I’d like to have Robin discover that secret directly from Victoria – maybe at a bridal shop where the two run into each other trying on gowns. I think that would have high impact, a good storyline and perhaps show how Victoria has also had to ‘move on’.

Comment by Nero theTVFiddler – April 30, 2013 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • …in a sense, I’d really like to see this Robin-Victoria interaction just once because they are really the two ‘alpha-women’ in Ted’s life. The others cannot compete – it’s Robin and Victoria. These two need to have a scene alone together to have at it – to clear the air and allow both to move on. In Victoria’s mind, Ted and Robin will be getting together. In Robin’s mind, Victoria and Ted could not make a go of it. Both assumptions by both women are incorrect, and the two deserve a chance to know why – to have this settled between them and an understanding of what went wrong prior to Ted meeting ‘the mother’.
        Once that happens, they’ll be plenty for Robin to work on as ‘the mother’ is introduced to the gang-of-five (now six). But for now, this one/final Robin/Victoria interaction needs to take place – if would be a terrific episode, storytelling at its best.

Comment by Nero theTVFiddler – April 30, 2013 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Speaking strictly for myself, I watched about 3 battles on The Voice and then gave myself permission to go to bed. The battles, at least the few I saw, just weren’t that good. I googled Sarah Simmons’ when I got to work this morning. Hers was the only one I was genuinely interested in seeing. Looks like, from the ratings, I made the right choice.

Comment by Magically Suspicious – April 30, 2013 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rules of Engagement was really funny, loved it! :)

Comment by Kresh – April 30, 2013 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All i can say is BONES BONES BONES BONES and stop making excuses for castle it sucks either way

Comment by Monique – April 30, 2013 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Castle won its time slot by 0.2 and almost had as many viewers than the other 2 shows combined; and that’s after it was preempted in the Boston area and had already been seen by thousands online last week. What excuses does it need? :)

Comment by badpenny – April 30, 2013 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The show still sucks

Comment by Monique – April 30, 2013 04:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • So? I have 221 cable channels. Every single night on every single half-hour there is at least 200 shows being broadcast that I think suck. That doesn’t mean there aren’t millions of other people who love those shows. If we all only liked the same things then we’d only need 1 channel. :)

Comment by badpenny – April 30, 2013 04:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Comment by Monique – April 30, 2013 04:51 PM PDT
  • The Following is Awesome!!! I hope it’s on for many years! However, James Purefoy must come back!!!!!! He’s as important as Kevin Bacon. Those two are fantastic!

Comment by Mary – April 30, 2013 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Interesting flow of viewers across the night for CBS comedies -

HIMYM 6.9m [2.7 demo] -> Rules 6m [2.1] -> Broke 7.7m [2.6] -> MMolly 7.9m [2.4]

Viewership increases [w/ 8:30 exception] throughout night, demo falls second half hours.

I’ve always wondered if these four shows are a good match – a good flow. If CBS expands their comedy block on Thursday nights, would any of these shows be a good fit for Thursday, say 9pm hour, particularly Broke Girls or Mike Molly? I wouldn’t surprise me to see one of these two move to Thursday if CBS expands comedies into the 9pm hour, perhaps as the 9pm anchor show, or as a 9:30 lead-out from 2.5 Men.

Comment by Nero theTVFiddler – April 30, 2013 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Additional thought – I know there is a push [from CBS brass?] to ‘bundle’ all their SC/single camera comedies together, and their MC/multiple camera comedies together, perhaps SC’s on Monday night, MC’s on Thursday nights. I’m not of that thinking.
      I like both SC and MC formats, and I really notice more of the ‘type’ of comedy flow throughout a night, and not what camera set-up or laugh-tracks are used/not used. I look more at ‘work-place’ comedy versus ‘family comedy’, young single adult comedy (HIMYM, TBBT, 2Broke) versus more ‘mature’ family/home-based type comedy (2.5 Men, Mike Molly).
      I’m still not convinced Mike & Molly is being well served in the 9:30 Monday slot. The show was star power, has been around a couple of years, and is more ‘family-friendly’ than say 2Broke Girls. I don’t think the two shows are well matched in that 9pm block. If CBS is ever going to move Mike & Molly, this is probably the time to do it – over to Thursday nights this fall – 9pm or 9:30pm. TBBT -> new series -> 2.5 Men -> MMolly, or TBBT->2.5 Men ->MMolly -> new series. I think this is the time to make this move, while HIMYM and 2.5 Men are still around to anchor these two nights. Next year at this time, it will be harder for CBS to make moves, particularly if (perhaps unlikely?) their new 2013 comedies fail.

Comment by Nero theTVFiddler – April 30, 2013 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hawaii Five-0 keeps sinking. This show was not going to last the moment they put wooden Alex O’Loughlin there….He sucked as a Vampire and he still sucks as a cop. CBS should had gone with talent instead of eye candy, and he is not even pretty anymore, he has aged badly. He is even wearing a wig , he looks creepy.

Comment by Suzie – May 1, 2013 04:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I completely agree – we’ll know how CBS feels about Five-0 in two weeks at Upfronts. I’d move the show elsewhere for next fall and put a new series with some life in it into this important Monday 10pm slot. We’ll see what Nina decides to do.

I would have liked this show better if they had not used the ‘Hawaii Five-0′ name and title. The original series was one of the best. If anyone ever gets a chance to catch the old Hawaii Five-0 series and the ‘real’ Steve Mcgarrett [the great Jack Lord], please take a moment to watch it. You won’t regret it, but it will make you sad at what TV has become. You said it best – “eye candy.”

Comment by Nero theTVFiddler – May 1, 2013 10:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He’s wearing a wig?

Comment by tp – May 1, 2013 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched The Following for the first time the other night and LOVED it!!!Great show and Kevin Bacon is just the best.He is great.I had to turn my head away from the tv a couple of times(the show is very graphic)but great show I hope it stays on tv for years to come.

Comment by Reney – May 3, 2013 08:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post