The Voice Recap: Rock Out With Your Knockout

The Voice Knockout Rounds Sarah SimmonsFor a show that’s all about good vibrations and international warm fuzzies, The Voice can sometimes be a frustrating mistress.

Take, for example, the Season 4 Knockout Rounds, where Adam Levine and Shakira all too often pitted their best singers against each other in sudden-death faceoffs, while allowing lesser vocalists to slip into the live voting rounds like mold on the underside of a package of blackberries. (Yeah, I know, that metaphor didn’t quite work, but at three bucks a container, you’d think those juicy little treats would last more than 24 hours in the fridge. Sheesh!)

But if you’ll allow me a crack at another food metaphor, tonight’s two-hour telecast was like having a waiter say “For your first course, you can choose between a divine flourless chocolate cake and a rich caramel bread pudding! And for your second course, you can either have a handful of dried-up raisins or a raggedy slice of dried mango.” As the philosopher Q-Tip once put it, “Now why you wanna go and do that, love, huh? Now why you wanna go and do that and do that?” (And by “that,” I mean eliminate Shawna P and Warren Stone from the competition.)

PHOTOS | The Voice: Top 20 Contenders Headed to the Season 4 Knockout Rounds

Still, what’s done is done. The coaches have their reasons, and even if their reasons include knocking out the toughest competitors for their pre-ordained chosen ones prior to giving the power to the people, I’ve got no choice but to cut to the chase. So without further ado, let me get to the business of listing the Knockout Rounds champs from best- to least-least- to most-impressive winner.

Team Shakira: Kris Thomas (Louis Armstrong’s “What a Wonderful World”) defeats Mary Miranda (The Police’s “Every Breath You Take”) | If “What a Wonderful World” was a gorgeous spring salad (I know…my mind is really stuck in the refrigerator right now) then Kris’ approach was to drench it in an entire bottle of dressing (aka unnecessary runs and trills and general gaudiness). A total catastrophe! (And this after Shakira told the dude to dial it back). At least he managed to stay on pitch, though, unlike Mary, who seemed tentative about the melody right from the start, was consistently sharp through the bridge and the final chorus, and gave the song all the energy of a leaky battery. I’m still hoping if I play this one back on my DVR, that Shakira will say, “And the winner of this Knockout Round is…Shawna P!”

Team Shakira: Garrett Gardner (Alex Clare’s “Too Close”) defeats Tawnya Reynolds (Pistol Annies’ “Hell on Heels”) | Shakira’s like a month-old honeycrisp apple when it comes to Garrett: Her soft spot is deep and unmistakable. So even though the quirky rocker boy fell behind the beat and seemed to run out of air on a song that Melanie Martinez covered much more intriguingly in Season 3, you knew he was (pre)destined for the win. That’s a shame, really, considering Tawnya’s robust, conversational spin on “Hell on Heels” was actually really good.

Team Adam: Caroline Glaser (Of Monsters and Men’s “Little Talks”) defeats Amy Whitcomb (The Animals’ “House of the Rising Sun”) | Amy had a sizeable fan base from her time on The Sing-Off, but her “HOTR” was a let-down, peppered with flat notes on the verse and veering into screamy, barely musical territory for the latter third. Caroline’s may have had some pitch issues, too, and her pronunciations might be too affected by half, but Amy essentially handed her the key to the live rounds. (Alas, though, imagine if Warren had beaten Caroline, and Sarah had beaten Amy? Much more satisfying outcome, no?)

Team Shakira: Sasha Allen (Etta James’ “At Last”) defeats Shawna P. (Paul McCartney’s “Maybe I’m Amazed”) | Sasha’s been heavily hyped since Moment One, but like a crossing guard during rush hour, her rendition of “At Last” kept me at arm’s length. There was, dare I say, a hint of smug satisfaction on Sasha’s face as she delivered the number — a certain sense of “See what I’m doing here?” — that felt at odds with the roiling rapture of the lyrics. Shawna P, on the other hand, brought an almost religious fervor to “Maybe I’m Amazed” that unearthed a bluesy, world-weary side of the song I never knew existed. The Voice, though, seems more risk averse to “performers of a certain age” than i did back in the innocent days of Season 1, and thus the younger, more glamorous Sasha advanced. Not that she’s not super-talented in her own right, it’s just that Shawna was better. How’d Shakira pair these two up again? Because “Shawna” and “Sasha” sound kinda similar? Phooey.

Team Adam: Judith Hill (Willie Nelson’s “Always on My Mind”) defeats Orlando Dixon (K-Ci and JoJo’s “All My Life”) | Judith definitely dominated Orlando in terms of power and pitch perfection, but it wasn’t all good news. I can’t be the only one who felt like Season 4’s early front-runner transformed Willie Nelson’s gorgeously simple melody into something so complicated that it bordered on tortured. Yes, Judith looks the part of a pop star, but if she doesn’t adopt a “less is more” philosophy for the live rounds, she could be an early surprise evictee.

Team Shakira: Karina Iglesias (Lenny Kravitz’s “Are You Gonna Go My Way”) defeats Monique Abbidie (Celine Dion’s “The Power of Love”) | I don’t care that Karina didn’t pick a song that served as a massive vocal showcase: “AYGGMW” was exactly the jolt of rum that the Knockout Rounds punch bowl needed — especially with that choice twist of stank she gave to “one by one-uh-uh” and the fearsome low-note treatment she gave to that one repetition of the chorus. Monique, so fiesty and fun in the Blind Auditions on “Loca,” turned into a completely different performer tonight. Her grasp on pitch was as tenuous as trying to climb a flagpole covered in Crisco, and her choice of a dreary old ballad brought her inner “former child star” — and not in a good way.

Team Adam: Amber Carrington (Avril Lavigne’s “I’m With You”) defeats Midas Whale (Stevie Wonder’s “Higher Ground”) | I went into this bout rooting for Midas Whale (and Idol alum Jon Peter Lewis), but their somewhat jarring harmonies and off-putting final note opened the door for Amber, and she walked right through with a powerful vocal that stretched her upper register in surprisingly nifty ways. Yeah, picking one of Season 3 winner Cassadee Pope’s signature covers wasn’t smart strategy, but with careful mentoring, she could be a contender.

Team Adam: Sarah Simmons (The Rolling Stones’ “Wild Horses”) defeats Warren Stone (Cutting Crew’s “(I Just) Died in Your Arms Tonight” | I’m still reeling that two of my very favorite performances tonight wound up in a head-to-head, duelt-to-the-death battle. URGH! Warren had me at his choice of Cutting Crew, but turned me into a serious fan with a performance so committed that I spied at least three of his vital organs on stage when he’d finished singing. Sarah, meanwhile, brought to the stage her ethereal (and very distinctive) combination of angelic upper register and crackling banshee wail on “Wild Horses,” making me believe every word coming out of her mouth in the process. I didn’t even mind that she dressed like a hippie bride! Warren’s ouster, though, just proves that The Voice needs to install a single “Steal” in the Knockouts in Season 5. Who’s with me on that? Holla in the comments!

And with that, it’s your turn. What did you think about Night 1 of The Voice‘s Season 4 Knockout Rounds? Was anyone robbed? Who lucked out with their pairings? Take our poll below to vote for your faves, then hit the comments and expand on your thoughts. And for all my reality TV news, recaps and interviews, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. Jacob P. says:

Season 3 is by far the superior season so far, at least to me.

• kavyn says:

I was pretty much thinking about season 3’s knockouts the entire round.

• Joline says:

Did anyone else notice Usher’s jacket changed during the last performance? They obviously taped these on different nights. Funny how they pull the wool over our eyes with production.

• Liz says:

very perceptive! i heard that they actually taped Shakira and Usher’s teams on the same night, with Blake and Adam’s teams taped on a different night :)

• ES says:

Adam’s and Shakira’s knockouts were taped on the same day at different times. Usher’s and Blake’s were taped the following day, also at different times.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

They did seem a lot better S3 yeah. I was thinking of them at times.
      Sasha brought it though, Sarah and Judith too.
      But there did seem to be a lot who didn’t stand out as much as S3 it seemed.

• Tom22 says:

I’ll be open minded for sure because talent so often evolves over the season. I really did like 3 artists from last season that peformed covers on the show that I’ve listened to all year. I listen to 5 of Melanie Rodriguez covers, 4 of Casadee Popes, and occasionally 3 of Nicholas David’s. Amanda and Terry were strong rock singers but none of their cover’s compell me to listen to them. In my ear and taste, Melanies covers are my favorite versions of the songs she sang and when I hear other performers sing them, including the original artists, they’re less interesting to me.

I guess I feel its important to say, not to contradict your own opinion which you’re certainly entitled to, but just so other readers know that some people found last year pretty special. I definitely listen to those artists more than the fewer number of Idol downloads from the year before (PP Moving Out, Elise Viena, the only ones that have stayed in my personal “playlists”.. although I prefer listening to 3 or 4 songs in a row by the same artist.. which hurts their play time)

2. Willow says:

No matter how you slice it, I think Team Adam would have benefitted from having Midas Whale in the live rounds. I like his girls, but he could use some diversity. And Caroline didnt earn her spot in my book.

• CRC says:

Agree. I really liked the diversity Midas Whale brought to the whole thing. I’m feeling a bit apathetic about those who remain.

• Joy says:

This, exactly. Watching them get knocked out at the very beginning of the show kind of killed my enthusiasm for a while…which probably means I’m not giving the other singers their due, but right now nobody really moves me to care about what they’ll do next. Midas Whale certainly weren’t the best singers in the competition, but they had a niche all to themselves style-wise, and they were an absolute hoot to watch — without them, the whole field feels just a little more bland.

• allie says:

Totally agree. Midas Whale would have been great in the live rounds but Amber is awesome – that was a tough call. Although I am not a fan of Amy -I don’t watch Sing Off – I REALLY don’t understand why Caroline is still there. She needs training and experience – I just don’t get her at all.

• Charles Douglas says:

See, I really get Caroline. I think you’re correct- she needs a little more training and much more confidence. I think in past peformances she did much better and I just love her voice. Some won’t get, and some will. I definitely see why she is still there.

• Beth says:

I don’t get the love towards Caroline. She’s very pretty and I’d vote for her as a model but as a singer? I don’t think I’d even go to the local coffee house to hear her. Her voice is tiny (ironic that her songs always include words like tiny and little) and she sounds off key to me. Maybe Adam is swayed by her looks.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

I don’t know since Amy is even hotter.
        I was all the indie sorta thing, like how he was hot like mad for Melanie’s indie thing. I knew she’d win before they even sang.
        Amy didn’t do it as well as Haley but Caroline seemed shakier so I think Amy actually won for sure. I can see some potential in Caroline though if he can get her fully together maybe she could be amazing at her tone thing while Amy might never quite match a Sasha/Judith or Haley type perhaps?? But that is a risk and Amy did do better.

• Danny says:

@ Beth- I think the love towards Caroline is because she has a really unique voice. I don’t think she’s as good a singer as some of the others, but her voice is very unique. In a sense she reminds me of DiDi from a few years ago over at AI. I’m guessing she’ll finish in about 7th place.

• Tina says:

What kills me is how singers like Caroline can pronounce there words with I’s and O’s that don’t belong and people call it “unique”. No it’s not, it’s becoming more and more common and is annoying,

• allie says:

I agree – it was unique a few years ago but there are quite a few singers out there now with that sound and she isn’t as good as they are.

• ES says:

I agree with this so much.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

I guess where Burnell went wrong is he went with “M’s” instead of “I’s'” and “O’s” (this will only make sense if you also watched A.I.)

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

I was glad Amber made it over Midas Whale.

• The Beach says:

Me too. Midas Whale is fun and the first part of their song was good but I thought it fell apart when they slowed it down in the second half. Amber was very good all the way through.

• ES says:

My thoughts exactly.

• Mike Kelly says:

Caroline was ten times better and it is evident why glaser won,( her & levine (ahem). I won’t watch this show again!! I’ heard of Kelly Clarkson, Phil Philips even the fat girl that does the diet commercials but NEVER heard again any winner from the voice. What’s 1st prize, a weekend to San Diego?

• Catherine says:

You’re telling me, you’ve haven’t heard Carrie Underwood since idol?

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

Actually in my market barely at all. It’s hard to recall. But I’ve seen her all over TV promos and stuff and hear she has done super well.

• Charles Douglas says:

I think the judges look at more than just a single performance. I agree Caroline was weak in this performance but Amy wasn’t that great either and past performances of Caroline’s have been delightful. I think Caroline lacks the confidence others have. I love listening to her recordings on Youtube.

3. Danny says:

Another good show. Yeesh, Team Adam alone has a ton of talent. I really enjoyed Karina too. I’m partial to rocker chicks. Unfortunately they never seem to make it very far in these types of shows.
    I also like how good singers are heading home. Not that I want them to leave, but it’s nice that it’s 2 quality singers up there in a lot of cases rather than someone who’s not any good just waiting for the ax to fall. I thought both Monique and Midas Whale did real nice jobs. There simply weren’t enough spots.
    My top performances of the night were Sarah, Karina, Judith, and Sasha. I love Caroline’s voice even though I don’t think she’s quite as good a singer as some of the others. Kris impressed me a lot too.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

rocker chicks did make it to the finale the first two seasons of the voice, hard to recall a rocker chick ever making the finale on Idol or xfactor though, true, and Amanda who could be that didn’t make it last season grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

• The Beach says:

I guess Alison came the closest on AI..how did she end up? 3rd? Amanda Browne was the best of all the first three seasons.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

yeah I think Allison was third. Haley could do some rock, although she wasn’t any sort of pure rocker chick, she also came in third (woulda been second in a breeze with even a hint of support from the show) and the others I think all went out pre-top three.

• Danny says:

@ Beach- I think Allison came in 4th. If I recall it right the top 3 were Kris, Adam, & Danny. Allison had 2 things going for her. IMO she was the best Idol of all time up til that point in the show. She was also the only kid, male or female, who was extremely good for a long period of time. All the other kids I’ve seen had moments, but never any consistancy.

• Danny says:

@ Hit- Thanks for the heads up. I missed em though because I didn’t pick up on the Voice until season 3.

4. David says:

1) Garrett Gardner is a dud. Tawnya was way better in my opinion. 2) I like Amber and Karina, but Judith and Sasha were at least as good or better than Sarah tonight. 3) What is people’s problem with Kris? I thought he was better than Caroline and just as good as Amber.

5. ABC says:

Shakira should have made these matchups:

Monique vs Mary
    Sasha vs Tawnya
    Karina vs Shawna
    Garrett vs Kris

Sasha over Mary
      Shawna over Monique
      Tawnya over Garrett
      Karina over Kris
      then i guess you need to save on guy perhaps, replace Tawya or Shawma with one of the guys

6. Jake says:

TEAM ADAM
    Amber and Caroline are two of my favorites of the whole competition. Amber completely nailed it and deserved to win (Midas Whale is engaging and talented, but they kind of come off like a novelty act at times.) I swear I thought Caroline was going to lose after that knockout faceoff, because I didn’t think that song suited her at all, but I’m thrilled she got another chance.
    Sarah is obviously talented, but I personally am not as completely enthralled by her as the judges are.
    Judith is an incredible talent, but they never show any clips of her that exhibit her personality, which makes me worried for her longevity on the show.

TEAM SHAKIRA
    Sasha was absolutely amazing tonight, but I feel like she always seems to look a bit uncomfortable and comes off as a bit snotty.
    Still not digging Garrett or really seeing the appeal there.
    Karina and Monique were both great, though I’m not a huge fan of either.
    Kris has my favorite voice on Team Shakira, and I hope he can pick songs that will impress during the live shows.

BTW: Did you mean to say you listed the winners from least to most impressive? I ask because the order seems a bit backwards and because that’s usually how you do it.

• jw says:

I totally with you on Sarah. I wouldn’t want to listen to a whole album of that. And by this time, “Wild Horses” is feeling really worn down. I would have taken Warren.

• For me this is a relatively easy pick as the favs:

TEAM ADAM: Judith and Sarah (Best of the Best). Amber (Best of Worst).

TEAM SHAKIRA: Sasha Allen (Best of the Best), Karina (Best of Worst), Kris and Garret aren’t getting my votes (no sexist), but the person I would see sacked in the live playoffs is Kris.

7. Jake says:

I thought Amy was so drastically better than Caroline that I felt confident for her safety despite the cannon fodder edit she’s gotten all season. What a ridiculous choice from Adam.

• kavyn says:

I was watching the episode thinking she actually had a chance at making it through despite being montage’d twice. That battle pretty much confirmed that these decisions are made before the performance.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

yeah she really did outdo Caroline there
      I knew she was a goner though since Adam was wanting some sort of indie chick and he had his Judith so he was gonna dump Amy. But then after seeing that I thought maybe? especially when most judges picked Amy too. but nope.

8. Jo says:

I love Caroline and I think she’s soooo amazing and unique… But Amy was just too good to let go and I’m depressed that we didnt get to see her other performances

9. Pat says:

Warren needs to be reinstated. He was better than 3/4’s of the ones that got through tonight.

10. BVLC says:

Really sad that Midas Whale didn’t make it to the live rounds (I hope they get signed anyway), but I will be rooting for Judith Hill all the way to the finale!

11. Hpl says:

Oh my, the crime committed against,”What a wonderful world”!

Yikes.

12. Cagney says:

Amber has really grown on me.I was worried when she went against Midas Whsle. but she was clearly better IMO. It was the weakest performance from MW in my opinion. Sarah’s voice does not appeal to me for some reason. Sasha gave me goosebumps. Still, I do not think she would be as marketable as Amber. Favorites of the night: Amber, Sasha, and Judith.

13. Alice says:

Not sure if this is a good or bad thing, but Sarah looked exactly like my mom at her wedding in 1972,

14. kavyn says:

I don’t really care for anyone from Team Adam except for Caroline. Super pissed Amy was sent home despite being a lot better than Caroline (but honestly, I blame it on the song choices, Caroline did not sing that song well). If It were my call I would have had Caroline, Amy, Sarah and Warren make it through.

Shakira has the better team IMO, but Adam’s team has more of the popular contestants. I was surprised Shakira saved Karina (who was a lot better than Monique) considering how popular Monique was. Sasha and Kris were obvious winners, and Garrett was and alright decision considering I really don’t see how Shakira can help a country singer. She picked the same people I would have picked out of those pairings based on the songs performed.

15. jackee says:

I DO NOT see the appeal in goat woman aka Sarah. Her voice is not interesting at all. Biggest talents here are Amber and Kris.

• A says:

that remark is just uncalled for. you can just say you don’t like her!

• alex sheffield says:

GOAT WOMAN? Seriously? She’s -Sarah- is number one on the tope rock song chart!

• Rain says:

I actually agree with goat woman – she adds this weird goat like bray to her songs that’s so unappealing! Talk about Wild Horses, she sounded like one that was dying last night!

• ES says:

I suppose if you think that destroying “What a Wonderful World” is a true talent, then yes, Kris is mighty talented.

16. dani n. says:

Sarah’s the one with the most unique voice.

17. Maggie says:

Amy got completely screwed over, she sounded really good tonight. It’s a shame that the Voice viewers who haven’t watched The Sing Off missed out on hearing how awesome Amy really is.

• kavyn says:

Season 3 of the Sing Off is the only season I saw (because of Sara Bareilles), and she was absolutely phenomenal with her a cappella group.

• Maggie says:

Grenade? Ridiculous. So good. I wasn’t a huge fan of that super group Delilah as a whole but Amy’s a star.

• kavyn says:

They did an amazing job with Adam Lambert’s “Whataya Want From Me”, The Band Perry’s “If I Die Young”, and Lil Wayne’s “How To Love”. I was a big fan of Amy and Ingrid, as well as Geena (the beatboxer). They messed up when they kept changing the lead singer IMO.

But Grenade was easily their best performance on the show. So well done and Amy is clearly a star.

• ES says:

I’m so glad to see other Sing Off fans on this board. I second the notion that Grenade was Delilah’s best performance and really showed off Amy’s talent. Anyone who’s curious enough should check it out on YouTube. The girl can sing!

18. HitTheGroundRunning says:

Sasha! Sasha Sasha! Sarah! Sarah! Judith! Judith!
    huge shame Warren had to end up going, he did with that pairing, but he could won so many other pairings
    I wasn’t quite sold on how Shakira’s two guys did. Mary was a little shaky but in the end she pulled me in a little more. And even though I don’t like country country she did more than Garrett did this time IMO. I did like Garrett last time more than many here but not sure he grabbed me as much this time. Sasha on her team is insane though and Karina may be solid.

• Tom22 says:

I liked Warren a lot too. My son’s comment was that Adam couldn’t deal with anyone cooler than him up there. (I’ll need to give Sarah another listen to try to understand…. or it could have been one of those “haley did it so much better” things.. or the less accomplished guitar players or whatever on Wild horses (hard to compete with singing along with Slash on the guitar and harmony with Miles Kennedy)

• Danny says:

@Hit- What did ya think of Karina? I figured she’d be high on your list too. I don’t think she’s as good as Amanda, but she’s still got it going on.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

I wasn’t quite so up on her this week, although it wasn’t bad at all, maybe the song. I was very glad she got saved the previous week. She is easily #2 on Shakira’s team IMO. She an Sasha seem like her best bets (although guys do often go far, both of her guys seemed weaker this week to me though).

19. Hanna Mae says:

I was upset Shakira paired Karina and Monique. both of them deserves to be in the playoffs! It should have been Monique vs Mary & Karina vs Shawna P… hopefully Karina will do well, shes kinda growing on me..

20. Mellie says:

I don’t understand the whole Caroline thing. She doesn’t take full breaths, runs out of it on several phrases, has pitch issues aaaaaaaaaalllllll over the place and girl does NOT know how to pick songs for herself. The other girl wasn’t great either, but she was still better than Caroline.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

She was way behind all the time too. I mean I see potential but it might be too much work and Amy did easily win the battle.

• ES says:

I’m not big on Caroline either. Her voice is not unique, though a lot of people seem to think it is, and her sound is so affected.

21. Jaysfan says:

I was shocked that Adam picked Amber over Midas Whale – not because MW outperformed Amber (she totally won that battle, fair and square), but because he usually lets ‘bromances’ dictate at least one of his selections, and I thought he was totally enamored with the folksy duo. I thought MW vs. Caroline would have been a better matchup (Battle of the Coffeehouse), and if they had squared off, I think MW would have squeaked through. Maybe I’m just not big on Caroline…I found she sounded exactly like the original tonight (except for when she was pitchy) and I preferred her the first time she came out, when her name was Colbie Caillet.

I will give Judith credit – tonight was the first time I believed she connected with the song on an emotional level and wasn’t just impressing with exquisite technical ability.

With all the buzz about Sasha’s cover of ‘At Last’, I was expecting her to blow it out of the water – I’ll say it’s the best she’s sang on the show, but I’m betting if Judith or Sarah sang ‘At Last’, they would blow Sasha’s version out of the water. I feel bad for Shawna P – she sang well, and I think if she would have been up against Garrett or Karina, she would have been put through.

• The Beach says:

I enjoy listening to Shawna P sing much more than watching her.

• Kat says:

THIS!!! I can’t believe no one else has mentioned how over the top Shawna is when she sings. I can’t watch her! Her over dramatic facial contortions make me cringe every time she is singing on screen.

• waterbug says:

I agree…I lover her voice, but I was put off by the moo moo she wore last week. I think that left a lasting impression.

22. ALIYAH says:

i’m sorry i just can’t see the appeal in Garrett, I prefer Monique than him!! As usual Adam built a really strong team not sure about Caroline yet but maybe i’ll end up liking like I did with Melanie Martinez last season. Sarah was good in her blinds since then i’m just bored with her. Judith has this i’m-too-good-for-this-show vibe that i just don’t like. Amber is good, i just can’t see her making it pass the playoffs..

23. Juan says:

I agree with most of the comments that I thought Amy won the battle and should have gone through. Caroline actually had my fav voice before cause I love the indie intimate pop folk sound she had but her song choice and delivery were not great. I think she needed to mature her voice before this. Amy should have gone through.

Sasha was def my fav performance, I thought she was increadible and was thinking she should do the song from dreamgirls that Jennifer Hudson sings. Amber was also increadible and seems like a dark horse to me. Don’t really like the two guys, not impressed at all

24. Beth says:

Shocked that Garrett and Caroline won their rounds.
    Favorites tonight– and each time they’ve performed– SARAH, SASHA, JUDITH, KRIS.

• Timmah says:

Caroline was a slam dunk IMO. She’s go the most distinctive voice in this competition.

• kavyn says:

Caroline’s got an amazing voice, but that song choice did NOT do her any justice. The song was also performed last season during one of the group performances, and it was also completely butchered.

25. Steve F. says:

A little bummed that Monique went tonight… but she went out on a high note. Her version of “The Power of Love” was way better than Amber Holcomb’s on AI! (But what was up with Monique’s outfit?)

Felt a little bad for Orlando – I think he knew he was a goner once he saw he was up against Judith.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

yeah you could see the faces drop when contestants heard they were paired with Judith (or Sasha or Sarah) but yeah the guy kinda knew before he even started

26. Jane says:

I think Shakira made all the right decisions, besides Garrett. I don’t know what she’s so drawn to? Tawyna easily won that battle. Maybe it’s his personal story that impacted her choice to keep him.

I love Monique, but I knew she was in trouble when she chose Celine Dion. Like really girl? She completely changed her entire image/fun Latin side she had during the auditions.

• Timmah says:

Actually, I like Garrett, and I don’t usually go for the WGWGs. I think it was Blake who said he has a certain star quality, and I agree.

27. Beth says:

Have to say, my new favorite is Shakira. Love her attitude, her sincere caring for her team members, sweet enthusiastic face while she watches all the performances, always encouraging words…. and that super cute twisty hand and body shake she does. Great addition to the show.

28. Aside from Sasha, Team Shakira seems pretty weak to me. I’m still not on the Garrett bandwagon, Karina is good but doubt she’d win it and i’m actually surprised Kris is still in this. Sarah Simmons has been my favorite since her audition and if she doesn’t win, Judith will. Also where did Amber come from?!! I hadn’t really noticed her until tonight, but I was impressed. Team Adam definitely the team to beat.

29. Tom22 says:

The backup singers were stepping all over half of the contestants. They also need to ditch the uninspired heavy handed drummer and get one with some touch and a bass player with a bit of roll instead of a paint by the numbers style

• Amy says:

Glad I wasn’t the only one who thought this. Even though Orlando was doomed when he got paired against Judith, I thought he would have sounded so much better without those back up singers.

• Tom22 says:

Yeah, Orlando was the most glaring exammple. There was no excuse at all for the singers to be on top of his best rise which was clearly a solo moment and he was doing quite well. Like you said it was a hard match against Judith but I think I could have listened to his cover at least a few times and maybe even a week or two later with a better accompanyment and without the back up singers ruining the best moments

• Rain says:

So happy to see someone else thought this about the backup singers, they were so distracting and the music all seemed to be overshadowing the contestants!

30. Kevin C. says:

Idol producers take note: See how easy it is to quietly eliminate the best guys from contention before the voting rounds? Subtlety is key here!

31. Tom22 says:

Ill need to go back and listen to sarsh. My first take on it was that she turned it into a whine instead of a contemplatively wistful memory. Ikind of dug Warren too. Had a cool Chris isaakish sound. I could have been impatient at the time

32. twnkltoze says:

Sasha slayed her song. Best of the night for me. Sorry to see Warren go home. Holla!! I prefer his singing to Sarah’s barely audible squeaks. I’m just not a fan of that type of singing voice, I guess. She’s one of the better ones but often it seems they have very little control over their vocals with those spasmic vibratos.

33. syb says:

They pick interesting songs on this show, and then oversing them to death. I really don’t like the artifice of these random head to head match ups with the judges choosing after they set it up. It kind of takes the fun out of the show for me.

34. Jan1 says:

I loved Amy on the Sing-Off. I felt like the round was hers to lose and she lost it. What a disappointment, but she didn’t deliver.

• kavyn says:

In all honesty both Caroline and Amy did less than they usually do, but Amy at least nailed some parts of the song really well where as Caroline just sounded bad the entire time. I blame it on the song choices though – Amy clearly couldn’t get into the song at the start, and Caroline’s song was sung last season and it was also performed absolutely horribly (it was sung by Terry and Cass during performances, check it out on youtube and you’ll see).

35. ES says:

While I like Amber, I’m bummed that Midas Whale didn’t make it to the live shows, and I think they suffered from a poor song choice. They’ve done better with more fun, upbeat songs (“Folsom Prison Blues,” “Burning Love”) and really could’ve made a case for themselves by singing a folk rock song instead (maybe a song by Mumford & Sons or The Lumineers, something that would’ve demonstrated the popularity and demand for folk rock music in today’s industry). Oh, well.

I do not understand how Caroline won the knockout over Amy; I thought it was pretty clear that Amy outsang her. I felt that Caroline sounded too much like Nanna (from Of Monsters and Men) and revealed a lot of the limitations to her voice. I was not impressed. A lot of people seem to think that Caroline has a really unique voice, but to me, she sounds like some of the indie/folk singers already out there (Ingrid Michaelson, Missy Higgins, etc.). Plus, her pronunciations are so affected. Ugh. Sorry, I’m just not big on Caroline.

I thought Warren was great tonight! But it was just too little, too late.

Other notes: Adam looks so good in glasses! And Shakira is truly a great coach. Her critiques have been specific and technical and are really helping her contestants to become better artists. I’m quite impressed.

36. Venus says:

I agree about Warren but you might get a surprise on Wednesday. Knockout Rounds are over Tuesday, but there’s a show on Wednesday and live shows don’t start until next week.

• tnsmoke says:

Isn’t the Wednesday show just a recap of what’s happened from the Blind’s to the end of the Knock Out rounds? Last year that’s what the 3rd show of the Knock Out week was.

37. A says:

I feel like Judith Hill has the ability to be the first true star this show will have. And i just feel bad for any contestant against her. Hope she wins this!!
    Faves: Judith, Sarah, Warren, Shawna, Caroline
    I don’t really like Garrett.

38. john says:

i think caroline can go all the way, i love her charismatic voice!

39. Fall says:

I really wanted Shakira to win this season ’cause I love her so much and the show is making me love her even more, but I just can’t. Having Kris Thomas still around while Monique and Shawna were sent home was downright terrible. I like the other three, but I don’t see any potential winner there.

On the other hand, I just love entirely team Adam. Amber grew on me, Sarah is unique and I’ve always been a fan of both Judith and Caroline. Glad the latter made through to the live rounds, she reminds me of Lindsay Pavao from season 2 and that is a good reference as she’s still one of my favorites alumni from this program.

40. ABC says:

I think they shouldn’t have matchups for this round. Have them all perform and let the coach choose at the end.

• kavyn says:

I think they do that in the next round, but I’m not sure if the coaches are going to stick with 4 players or drop down to 3 like last season. What I was thinking was that the other three judges should vote for who goes through based solely on performance, but I honestly don’t trust production to allow them to genuinely vote (it’s pretty obvious everything was decided before the battles).

41. Jo says:

I don’t get why everyone is so sad about Warren. I mean , he had a great performance tonight, but I found him to be quite boring and there are so many singers like him already out there. I feel like Caroline did deserve to move on because although she has pitch problems every now and then, she’s just so unique and special.

42. Magically Suspicious says:

Sarah Simmons is my pick for the whole thing, but YEESH!!!! it was tough to see Warren go, especially after that performance.

43. Suzi says:

Warren Stone deserves to be in the live rounds period!! I don’t get the Sarah appeal..she is a great singer but not my personal taste!! Judith is great too but again not my personal taste:(….but she’ll probably win!! I bet Blake puts Danielle and Savannah together and I bet Grace Askew makes it through!! I am prayimg for Justin Rivers since Warren is gone!!

• Tom22 says:

I’m kind of with you on Judith. I can’t say anything bad about her incredible voice but I haven’t found her songs fun or particularly touching my own emotions even if they were true to her own emotions. The songs could have moved me to teary eyes but some how they didn’t .. That is a very personal thing and i’m sure others felt the opposite.

The ultimate test of how good a performance is to me, is that you want to listen to the performance again days or weeks or months later and as much as any other cover of the song.

• scootermcgavin says:

I thought the preview showed Danielle going up against Taylor. It was quick so I could be wrong.

44. Tammy says:

I really liked Warren and didn’t think it was fair to put him up against Sarah. His version of Colder Weather is fantastic. i do think his song choice was a little off putting, sticking with country would have been smarter. Save cross over music for when America votes.

I enjoyed Midas Whale too. I do think they are a fun change of pace from ballad singers. After this season of Idol, I’m sick of ballad singers.

45. Lucy27Lucy says:

I really like Shakira on the show, but completely agree she paired her best together and unfortunately knocked out her better singers. I think she offers good direction, but certainly not this week – and self-admittedly. Shawna P dialed it back too far and never reached that big, rocker vibe Shakira was worried she might overuse. It cost her.
    Same for Adam, who I am not sure really believed in Warren Stone who IMO was the best of the entire night. I love Sarah’s voice and ability, but really did not care for her Wild Horses.
    Love the uniqueness of Caroline’s voice, but she won by default – Amy is a great singer but made a total mess of her attempt, the whole front half was all over the place. Caroline was weak and needs to have Adam up her game.
    Agree with Michael on Judith, she has to connect and learn when less is more with such a fine voice to work with.

46. CF says:

“There was, dare I say, a hint of smug satisfaction on Sasha’s face as she delivered the number — a certain sense of “See what I’m doing here?” — that felt at odds with the roiling rapture of the lyrics.”

This. I’m very picky about that song, because no one can touch Etta James. Sasha bungled the phrasing on the very first two words, and it didn’t get any better from there as she buried the melody and garbled the lyrics in a barrage of look-at-me runs. Meh. She may have a powerful instrument, but I enjoyed Shawna P’s performance so much more.

47. dmelamed says:

at first, i wasn’t too pleased that Sasha won over Shawna. i thought Shawna had a really cool voice. But I just remembered i saw Sasha in the broadway production of Hair back in 2009 a few times, and she was unbelievable. If she shows the Voice what i saw on stage back then she can go really far in this competition!

48. Scott says:

I actually thought until they announced that steals were done that they were going to have a single steal in the knockouts to bring the teams up to five like last year. If they weren’t going to do that, then Shawna/Warren really shouldn’t have been paired up with Sasha/Sarah. I guess Adam and Shakira want fodder for the next round too, because Kris and Caroline don’t have much chance to make it through.

49. waterbug says:

I think Haley or her mother haunts these forums.

50. trimaran12 says:

When were these episodes taped? I wonder if Adam now regrets letting Warren and Midas Whale go now that we see how the Only Girls Allowed season is playing out on Idol?