Ratings: Scandal Tops Grey's Anatomy, American Idol Falls to Series Low

Get More: Ratings

Scandal Beats Grey's AnatomyRatings were down across the board on Thursday, the first full night of May Sweeps.

CBS won the night despite all of its shows flirting with season/series lows (The Big Bang Theory plunged 19 percent, but remained Thursday’s top draw.)

On Fox, American Idol and Glee were down sharply (the former notching a series low in the demo), and NBC’s Hannibal sank to a fresh low of 2.4 million viewers and a 1.0 in the demo. (Competition from the NFL draft and NBA playoffs no doubt contributed to the erosion.)

RELATED | Season Finale Scoopapalooza: More Than 100 Spoilers on Your Fave Series’ Endgames, Including ArrowThe Vampire DiariesThe Good Wife, Glee and More!

On The CW, The Vampire Diaries‘ highly publicized backdoor Originals spin-off pilot drew 2.2 million viewers and a 0.9 among adults 18-49, on par with last week’s prom episode but down from the show’s season average.

ABC’s red-hot Scandal bucked the downward trend, equaling a series high and even edging Grey’s Anatomy in the demo (2.8 vs. 2.7), although the Seattle Grace docs topped the Gladiators in overall audience (8.1 million vs. 7.8 million).

Comments (56)

• I’m sorry, but TVD’s ratings do nothing for BATB. I hope BATB rises, but I hope this just goes to show that regardless of whether or not TVD is a lead-in, it doesn’t do any shows well. Either way, I hope both shows go up for the networks sake – not because they deserve to.

Comment by Jarrod Mitchell – April 26, 2013 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t see BATB ratings in this article. What am I missing?

Comment by wrstlgirl – April 26, 2013 09:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I have to agree! Where is BATB! I really want a 2nd season for the BEAST! The show is so good. It’s only probably is the time slot it is put in. :( TVD and SPN would really be down if they were there. Move BATB to a better time slot where people will get the time to watch it and its ratings will improve.

Comment by Maddie – April 26, 2013 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • You got your second season.

Comment by Ben – April 26, 2013 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ouch for tvd, hopefully they go back up next week. yea for poi even though it doesnt show their #s. quessing tvd were down bc it was pilot not a regular ep.

Comment by ollie – April 26, 2013 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • POI had 12.99 million viewers with a 2.4 18-49 demo.

Comment by lll – April 26, 2013 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually, TVD didn’t do all that great last week either.

Comment by Lena – April 26, 2013 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually liked The Originals pilot, but I will say that it was weirdly placed. It felt like everything was put on pause from the last episode of TVD. Maybe if it doesn’t go to full series it could be used like the OUAT spinoff to pull the holes between the fall and spring.

Comment by Jake – April 26, 2013 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That pregnancy story just caused the whole episode to come to a screeching halt. I can’t even remember what happened after that, it was just too jarring.

Comment by Lala – April 26, 2013 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. If this show goes to series, Hayley needs to go back to TVD and erase the whole pregnancy storyline. That story alone is going to kill the series before it gets started.

Comment by lll – April 26, 2013 09:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will this week change Parks’ expectation of renewal at all? I am shocked by the season low.

Comment by Jaclyn – April 26, 2013 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think the pulled episode from Hannibal made bad publicity to the show and affected the ratings.

Comment by Douglas from Brazil – April 26, 2013 09:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like Hannibal but maybe some of the fault lies with its overly gruesome nature. Last night’s episode was particularly disturbing. Nothing I’ve seen on Walking Dead compares to this. One thing is pushing the envelope and another thing is to completely obliterate it. We’ve become pretty much immune to bloody scenes because of an over abundance of them on tv, but Hannibal is just a whole different level of crazy. Anywho, we’ll see what happens before season ends.

Comment by Babygate – April 26, 2013 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Really? You don’t think stopping on and squishing a zombies head in with your foot, and I won’t describe any further, is more gruesome?

Comment by wrstlgirl – April 26, 2013 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • The thing that you know zombies are fictitious. The suspects in Hannibal, particularly Dr. Lecter himself, are sick, perverted, evil humans and thus still within the realm of plausibility which psychologically and emotionally speaking makes it harder to digest. IMO…

Comment by Babygate – April 26, 2013 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Well okay, I can somewhat agree with that. I guess I just don’t spend time thinking in those terms. No wonder it bothers you, that’s depressing.

Comment by wrstlgirl – April 26, 2013 03:06 PM PDT
    • Agreed. Plus everyone knows NBC sucks at life right now so they don’t have a lot of audience goodwill/faith coming their way. Even quality offerings will experience a poor reception because their reputation is in the dirt. And it’s such a shame; if Hannibal was on HBO/Showtime/AMC etc it would probably be doing a lot better.

Comment by Saint Alicia – April 26, 2013 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep in mind the NFL draft was airing so Broadcast TV had stiff competition, likely why everything was down.

Comment by Steve – April 26, 2013 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Here’s hoping those TVD spin-off ratings mean The CW rethinks “The Originals”. What a completely disappointment.
    (And before people assume, I DGAF about Klaroline. Caroline/Tyler should have never been ruined for that BS)

Comment by Julie – April 26, 2013 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The pilot was great, hope they go ahead and pick it up

Comment by mac – April 26, 2013 09:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please, let it be a signal to forget about that horrible pregnancy storyline and bring back Klaus where he belongs. There is no TVD without The Originals anymore and there is no The Originals without at least Caroline and Stefan. I couldn’t care less about the werewolf or about the other new characters.

Comment by rty123 – April 26, 2013 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want the TVD spinoff to move ahead so that I can finally be free of Klaus. He sucks all enjoyment out of the show for me.

Comment by Chasity – April 26, 2013 09:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TVD wasn’t that great this week. This episode was a bit boring, the only highlight being Hayley’s pregnancy. The scenes with Stefan & Damon at the beginning and end were a bit random and pointless.

Comment by Chloe – April 26, 2013 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Please tell me you’re trolling. The pregnancy twist was easily the most ridiculous part of the episode.

Comment by sherry – April 26, 2013 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Don’t get me wrong I don’t care for it really but out of the whole episode that was the only kind of interesting thing lol

Comment by Chloe – April 26, 2013 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved the Originals and will probably watch it more than the Vampire Diaries because I am tired of Elena. I think all of the new characters and the New Orleans settings are fantastic! I also don’t mind the pregnancy, though I do like the idea of Klaus and the bartender…

Comment by Penn – April 26, 2013 09:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved that the spin off was dark and that they skipped the whole teendrama. And I would love to get to see more of that family bonding and how it’s all about the action, HOPE TO SE A SPIN OFF! :)

Comment by Kresh – April 26, 2013 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “skipped the teen drama?”. Please explain how teen pregnancy is not teen drama? and for that matter the set up to the new love triangle? The episode was the definition of teen drama.

They should be establishing his birth family and not his one night stand. And they need to skip any type of love interest on the show all together – at least for the first season. Apart from that though, the episode still made not sense. He is immortal which means he doesn’t need an heir. Silas is still out there with the cure, which means all his dead in New Orleans are going to come back with a vengeance ( not concerned at all about Caroline still in danger with Silas out there – totally OOC). PLEASE DON’T SEND THIS TO SERIES – RETOOL IT AND LAUNCH IT MID SEASON. Get rid of the Hayley and the baby plot and add Caroline.

Comment by Amber – April 26, 2013 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Did we get to see a prom? Did we get to hear anything about a dress? Pregnacy yeah that might be concidered teen drama but creating a family and having set a goal to become king is non of that tvd teendrama that I don’t like.

And it’s KLAUS he is a dark character that seems to not care about Hailey and that could turn into something really interesting and that’s an whole new prespective if Caroline would be to join The Og’s haha. So stfu and go and watch tvd and leave it to Beiber to make you happy.

Comment by Kresh – April 26, 2013 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • need to give Hannibal a chance such great writing and acting. It is completely on the wrong night trying to use comedies (and floundering ones at that) as a lead in? Who in the world came up with that scheduling

Comment by ROn – April 26, 2013 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The same people who decided to move the solid-on-Fridays Grimm to a new night and leave Hannibal in the lurch.

Comment by DL – April 26, 2013 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That episode of TVD was rather enjoyable until they pulled the baby plot. Such a bad idea.

Comment by Toni – April 26, 2013 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Idol should be set on fire and pushed out to sea. It was a once great, now dead entity.

Comment by lyn – April 26, 2013 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would like to see the Originals picked up. It certainly has potential.

Comment by Cathy O. – April 26, 2013 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have no doubt people will watch, look at how many people love the Twilight series. This Hayley baby plot is just a redo of Bella (a human) and Edward (a vampire) having a baby (Nessie). But hey, maybe Tyler can imprint on the baby? Poor Joseph Morgan, Claire Holt, and Daniel Gillies, they deserve MUCH better.

Comment by Sam – April 27, 2013 03:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Too much importance are placed on the ratings. Ratings are not and have never been an indicator of quality. Honey boo boo is proof of that. If we let the ratings dictate whats on tv, we will all be watching duck calling housewives with pageant kids. Enough of the neilsons agenda.

Comment by chitta – April 26, 2013 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sadly ratings are not just important but ultimately they are the only thing that counts when the networks decide which shows to renew or cancel. The networks are corporations and their bottom line is profit. Ad revenue is driven by ratings and no CEO is going to renew a show that makes their network less money just because it is quality programming.

Comment by Matt – April 26, 2013 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Except nobody said that ratings are an indicator of quality…. But ratings DO matter. That is what they look at when deciding what to renew and cancel. I’m not even going to go into why because I think that is pretty obvious.

Comment by Eric – April 26, 2013 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How did Elementary do?

Comment by Michelle – April 26, 2013 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • 2.0 in the demo, and 10.07 million viewers according to ‘TV by the numbers’.

Comment by Sara – April 27, 2013 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While I love both Greys and Scandal, the problem with these announcements is that they are made before final ratings are released. Greys is almost always adjusted up because it overruns into the 10pm hour. Last night ratings were abysmal over all. Some say its because of the draft last night that took the male viewers… Oh, and ouch for Glee. If Fox is smart they will move it back to Tuesdays. Putting it up against Greys was a bone-headed move. Imo.

Comment by Babygate – April 26, 2013 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The pulled episode totally turned me against Hannibal. There was an obvious gap in the story, and it was frustrating. The show is about a cannibal and they’re worried about offending people… which just tells me that maybe the show shouldn’t have been made at all. I’m not sure I should invest more of my time in it at this point.

In terms of writing, there were gaps and holes, as usual. The show’s quality has gone down since the pilot. The last couple of episodes have been full of weaknesses. Now, I can’t even enjoy the show on a superficial basis, because of their pulling the episode that should have aired. If they wanted publicity for the show, they got it. But it had the wrong effect on me.

Comment by Drew – April 26, 2013 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree about Glee. I watched when it was on Tuesday b/c nothing else is on but Thursday at 9 my DVR is recording Beauty and the Beast while I watch Grey’s. Glee is too over the map to win over either.

Comment by GS – April 26, 2013 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There’s plenty of access to the pulled episode but honestly, I don’t see how my seeing it made any difference, at least not yet anyway.

Comment by wrstlgirl – April 26, 2013 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hannibal is excellent, particulary the acting and cinematography;
    but I must agree with others reviewers: pulling an episode off was a bad move, especially for a character driven show.
    Still watching it, I hope tptb will consider carefully their next move; I don’t want to see that show cancelled.

Comment by numerosix – April 26, 2013 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GREAT news for Scandal. Gladiators keep on winning!

Comment by rachelle – April 26, 2013 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i’m not sure why so many people have such an issue with the originals…i was pretty skeptical until i watched tvd last night…i hate klaus, i loth the trouble he causes in mystic falls…watching him last night, i found myself smirking at the tv over how much i loved him…watching him take back new orleans is going to be fun…i can’t wait…as for the baby drama…i didn’t see it coming and quite frankly i think it’ll be an interesting little mix…why not? she is a werewolf, she’s not undead…he’s half werewolf so apparently he’s still…”got it”…so it’s not like it’s completely far fetched…and he’s right, every king does need an heir…

Comment by ali – April 26, 2013 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If by “got it” you mean the ability to produce sperm and create a baby, then I have to ask how he has not impregnated anyone else that he has been getting right with before this? I mean, technically if he still produces sperm he could’ve slept with a human woman and gotten her pregnant, right? And I think we’d all be remiss to think Klaus has never compelled a woman like Damon did Caroline in the first season, so I think it’s safe to say we know he’s slept with other women who are alive, probably MANY times. NONE of them became pregnant, if they had I suspect there would be many, many heirs for Klaus to choose from. Besides, don’t you think Klaus would know by now if he produced sperm and could get someone pregnant? Not to mention that he (and all his Hybrid glory) have been dead for over a thousand years and dead people cannot get live people pregnant. I mean, if Klaus can get someone pregnant, then that means so can Tyler. Also, I’d like to mention that ALL of Klaus is dead as a doornail, his werewolf side is NOT alive and attached to his vampire side in some kind of supernatural version of Frankenstein’s monster. His werewolf side is not just bringing to life his sexual reproductive organs and leaving everything else alone. No heartbeat equals death. So, love, I’m afraid this is extremely far fetched, maybe even more than that, due to the fact that it shows complete disregard for all vampire mythology (except Twilight) since Vlad started bathing in human blood back in the hood aka Transylvania. By the way Vlad the Impaler is the real “Dracula”, feel free to look that up.

Comment by Sara – April 27, 2013 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Come on, Amer Idol, Stefano and Lee? Are you kidding me. We already knew there would not be anyone sent home so, bored to death. Bring Adam L on with his promo for AT&T for Trevor Project, then let him sing something……. ANYTHING. So, he can open new show, Chinese Idol, can do the finale of The Voice China for 200million or more, he can win China’s International Star award, but because he doesn’t have a new song out, not on Idol after all the pimping he does for you around the world? Pathetic. A fun Adam, Kris, and Allison thing would be fun too, just fun, the 3 amigos goofing off. Limitless ;possibilities but none that Nigel the Know Nothing would think of. Buh-bye Idol.

Comment by Pattygale – April 26, 2013 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is an EXTREMELY bad sign for Hannibal… I really hope NBC randomly decides to try the show in a different timeslot, maybe the show could do better. It’s excellent, and deserves better ratings than it’s getting.

Comment by Eric – April 26, 2013 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • just watch freaking Hannibal! If they will cancel another good show I will probably start eating human meat myself

Comment by Sincy – April 26, 2013 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sorry to say it Michael, but when it comes to ratings you are no Matt Webb Mitovich.

Comment by Ben – April 26, 2013 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You know Community was on last night right? Thanks for half the ratings I guess.

Comment by Joe – April 26, 2013 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Definite yes for the Originals. I’ll definitely watch it. Love Nik Klaus and I’m glad that the Originals will have their own show. They are much too strong characters to be stuck in a show that is already overcrowded. Also, I have always wanted to see more of the Originals background story, which I hope will be shown in the Originals.

Comment by lol – April 26, 2013 04:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • After seeing the Originals episode, I’m sad to say that I’m finished with TVD and sadly (I love Daniel, Joesph, and Claire) I will not be watching the spin-off. I hated Twilight, I have no wish to relive it and that’s basically what Julie Plec is doing with this baby storyline. I wonder how Stephanie Meyer feels about this blatant ripoff of her work?

Also…so glad that Scandal is still going strong, the same with Elementary and POI. All three shows are excellent and deserve all the attention and ratings they recieve.

Comment by Sam – April 27, 2013 04:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nice post, i will share with my friends.

Comment by michael kors handbags – April 28, 2013 03:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post