Vampire Diaries Recap: The Original King

Get More: Recaps

Vampire Diaries Season 4 Recap Hayley PregnantThe Vampire Diaries travelled to New Orleans this week to lay the groundwork for a potential spin-off — and dropped a Hayley-related bombshell on Klaus in the process.

RELATED | Season Finale Scoopapalooza: More Than 100 Spoilers on Your Fave Series’ Endgames, Including The Vampire Diaries, Castle, The Good Wife, Glee and More!

Turns out their one-night stand resulted in the impossible: A baby! While vampires can’t procreate, werewolves can — and through some freaky loophole, the Original has knocked up the wolf girl.

So how did the episode get to that revelation and what does it mean for Klaus?

Well, the hybrid first heads to the Big Easy to track down the witchy threat Katherine warned him about, but he runs into a few challenges. First, no one will give up the location of spellcaster Jane-Anne because they don’t want to break Marcel’s rules. The man in charge is Klaus’ former protege (played by the charismatic Charles Michael Davis having loads of fun), who now controls New Orleans and has a tight leash on everyone. He’s gotten the human locals to look the other way while vampires feast on tourists, and he’s even “got the witches here wrapped around my finger,” he tells Klaus. This comes as a big surprise to the Original since Marcel was basically a wimp when he left him behind. (Fittingly, when we first see Marcel, he’s singing “How Do You Like Me Now” like a boss.)

Marcel ends up witch-blocking his maker when he kills Jane-Anne in the middle of the street among a big crowd of vampires. (Everything really is out in the open here, which is just one of the things this potential spin-off has going for it.) Thankfully, Elijah, who can always be counted on for a fantastic kill, saves her sister Sophie (Daniella Pineda) from some of Marcel’s chumps with a swift heart removal. He then brings Klaus to the witch, who drops the big baby surprise on him and announces that if he doesn’t help her stop the out-of-control Marcel, she’ll off Hayley and his kid.

Vampire Diaries Season 4 Recap Hayley PregnantKlaus listens in on his child’s heartbeat before replying, “Kill her and the baby. What do I care?”

PHOTO | Vampire Diaries Season 4 Spoilers — Caroline and Klaus’ Heated Confrontation

Elijah, however, is not ready to give up on the hope that the very unplanned pregnancy might be just the thing to redeem his brother and bring their family together. “It’s a gift,” he says. “It’s our chance to start over.”

But Klaus is too hung up on the fact that the witches are trying to manipulate him. Elijah tries to convince him to move past that. If he kills them, then what? He just goes back to Mystic Falls and continues to be The Hated One? Is the power of fear the be all and end all?

Family is power,” Elijah pleads. “This is us, the Original family. We remain together always and forever.”

Klaus is having none of it until a fateful, antagonistic confrontation with Marcel. “I’m the king! Show me some respect!” the latter yells as the two argue. So what does Klaus do? He bites one of Marcel’s vamp buddies.

“I’ve broken one of your rules and yet, I cannot be killed,” declares Klaus. “I am immortal. Who has the power now, friend?”

Seeing the family and loyalty that his former siree has built for himself, Klaus decides that’s what he wants too. And with Hayley knocked up, he finally has the chance to make it happen. “Every king needs a heir,” he tells his brother.

So Klaus makes peace with Marcel and reveals that he plans to stick around. Meanwhile, Elijah says his goodbyes to Katherine. It’ll take some convincing to get Rebekah on board – she makes it clear that she has no intention of leaving Mystic Falls for the brother who’s made her life hell – but it looks like we’re poised for an Original family reunion next fall. There’s no way the CW isn’t going to pick up this ready-made, lived-in spin-off, right? Between the love-it-or-hate-it Hayley twist, a dynamic new character in Marcel, the vampires vs. witches war, and the drink-blood-and-party-all-day-and-night hedonistic vibe, The Originals has a lot of promise.

The episode was scarce on Mystic Falls happenings/characters, and, frankly, I didn’t even notice. But there is one thing I’d like to see: Caroline in New Orleans, which would open up the character in a fresh way. Klaus did call her to say he’s looking around at all the culture and “all I can think about is how much I want to show it to you. Maybe one day you’ll let me.” Until then, psych student/bartender/human Camille (Leah Pipes) will have to be The Originals‘ blonde, I guess.

Vampire Diaries fans, based off tonight’s preview, will you bite into The Originals if it lands on The CW’s fall schedule? Vote in our poll and then hit the comments to back up your pick!

Comments (193)

• Is it possible for a show to jump the shark before it has even technically begun? Hayley is pregnant and my interest in The ORiginals went from about a 100 to a 2. She’s a useless character who should have just been let go quietly into the night.

Comment by Ari – April 25, 2013 06:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Any reason for Phoebe Tonkin to grace my screen every week is a welcome reason. Also, this all depends on how they execute this twist. It can turn out amazing or be a total disaster.

Comment by iMember – April 25, 2013 06:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think the twist was the total disaster.

Comment by Tyler – April 26, 2013 03:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think it was a disaster already. There’s no room or time for a baby in a supernatural tv show. This is not twilight.

Comment by Grrrrp – April 26, 2013 05:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I liked Phoebe Tonkin in The Secret Circle but not at all in TVD and (I suspect) The Originals.

Comment by Claire – April 27, 2013 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree 100%!

Comment by Nicole – April 25, 2013 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree….. It was useless to include Hailey

Comment by Trisha – April 25, 2013 06:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree. They took what good have been a great show and turned it into a Twilight sized joke. This is so depressing.

Comment by Lala – April 25, 2013 06:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You all read my mind!! Hailey is just a bore!!

Comment by Trisha – April 26, 2013 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • totally agree..nobody in tvd fandom like her charachter..she is in the originals only because wc like her..

Comment by SILVIA – April 25, 2013 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I like Haley shes done bad things but so has everyone on this show l mean almost everybody

Comment by Bo – April 26, 2013 12:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • So when did they make you spokesperson for TV Fandom.???

Comment by Dmac – April 26, 2013 08:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Completely agree!! My interest in The Originals just crashed!

Comment by Jau – April 25, 2013 11:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, I agree. This pregnancy thing is REALLY stupid.

Comment by Ruby – April 26, 2013 07:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you. Haley is one of the worst characters ever created.

Comment by chitta – April 26, 2013 07:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You have seen 40 minutes if a new show and you already are claiming it is awful… I have a feeling most of the reviewers in this thread made up their minds before the show started and based on the hate of one character?? Way to have an open mind. Most if not all if the reviews by people who get paid to write them loved it and thought the twist was brilliant. You have no idea how the will incorporate this storyline so before you decide you hate it maybe you should actually watch it next fall and than make up your mind. Because it will be

Comment by Dmac – April 26, 2013 08:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i absolutely agree! i cant believe all of these “true TVD fans” are dogging on the test run for the potential new show! i think its going to be great! i just hope that Caroline and Klaus get together and its not Twilight-like that the baby is in the picture…i curious to find out if its gunna be a monster or an actual baby..

Comment by Tiffany Peebles – May 6, 2013 05:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree. And though I think Hayley is annoying and boring, the baby thing (and that horrible sex scene with Klaus that I had to look away from – and at the time thought of as useless waste) is what really PISSED me off.
      Are we actually going down the Twilight road? I think I’ve had enough of that by now. And Elijah!
      Jesus, I really wish Klaus had let them kill that slug slut and her stupid baby. God, I wanted to yank my hair out.
      I don’t think they could have made the spin-off worse if they tried.

Comment by Diana – July 12, 2013 10:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shark jumping??? Or genius???? I don’t even know.

Comment by Winston – April 25, 2013 06:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I screamed WHAT at the revel. countdown to the angel/ twillight compressin. dont know what to make of it ( I fogot klaus was born a werewolf) but did not see.that.coming at all and would 100 precent watch oringinals.

Comment by ollie – April 25, 2013 06:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m sorry in no way should angel and twilight uttered in the same sentence. Twilight garbage.

Comment by Bender – April 25, 2013 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Amen. The thought of them being included in the same sentence makes my heart hurt.

Comment by Caitlin – April 25, 2013 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The only reason vampire diaries is a hit, is because Twilight started it all. Don’t get me wrong twilight was horrible but they did create this vampire phenomenon. I know the vampire diaries was publish first but twilight has more following.

Comment by My opinion – April 25, 2013 09:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Twilight started it all? Sorry, but Bram Stoker’s Dracula has a 108 year head start on Twilight.

Comment by EatMorePez – April 25, 2013 11:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Agreed. Vampires have been around in literature and movies for so long. It’s sad that so many younger people think that Twilight is the end all be all where vampires are concerned.

Comment by sls – April 25, 2013 11:24 PM PDT
        • The only people who think Twilight ‘started it all’ are the twi-hards who are too young to remember Buffy, Angel, and every other vampire phenomenon that came before it. Name one original concept from Twilight, and we’ll send you a medal

Comment by VampFan – April 25, 2013 11:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Agreed. And what about Anne Rice’s Interview with a Vampire (the books not the movie)…While vampire literature has been around for a very long time, Anne Rice made vampires brooding and sexy. I can’t think of any really popular books prior to Anne Rice’s Vampires series that turned the vampire into a romantic hero, someone we route for as opposed to a villain. So if anyone started it all it was Anne Rice.
            Interview with a Vampire was published in the mid 1970′s. Stephanie Meyer was only a couple years old. lol

Comment by sls – April 25, 2013 11:39 PM PDT
          • Sparkly skin? BAHAHAHAHAHA. I still can’t believe that’s an actual thing.

Comment by Ruby – April 26, 2013 07:12 AM PDT
          • I think its more like Twilight revitalized all of this interest in vampires again. Yes Dracula was first, and was preceded by Anne Rice’s Vampires, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, the poorly written Vampire Diaries (Yea…I said it…its chock full of grammatical errors and just bad writing in some parts), and dont forget Charlaine Harris’ Sookie Stackhouse novels, which are about to end their run. Meyer’s Twilight series was her interpretation of vampires and its like a cycle…in another 10 years or so someone will come out with something to make it a pop-culture frenzy again. It seems like now Zombies are the new vampires…and i feel like a zombie after watching last nite’s episode…where. are. they. GOING with this??!

Comment by Natalie – April 26, 2013 07:21 AM PDT
        • Sigh. The Vampire Diaries was written yearssssssssssssss before Twilight. Twilight didn’t start anything. It’s as much a bandwagoner as any other vampire show. You should educate yourself before spouting things you don’t know anything about.

Comment by Ruby – April 26, 2013 07:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Ann Rice might want to argue that one.

Comment by Dmac – April 26, 2013 08:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Actually The Vampire Diaries the book came out long before Twlight, 1991 I think, were the Twlight books started around 2005.

Comment by A – April 26, 2013 09:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Boo I’d never compare Angel to this show! That’s blasphemy!

Comment by Josh – April 25, 2013 09:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I meant people would compare the other 2 bc og.the baby twist. I cant stand twillight either.

Comment by ollie – April 26, 2013 06:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Ahh, yes, the Angel baby twist- both of them-I’d almost forgotten. That’s pretty much what killed Angel for me. If I couldn’t sit though that horrid plot device WITH Whedon funny dialogue, there’s pretty much no chance I’d sit through it when it’s being handled by JP. Unless Caroline comes to NO, because that would just be…really funny.

Comment by Alice – April 26, 2013 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My only problem with The Originals is that Caroline is not there and Hayley is, who’s probably the most boring, lame character I’ve seen in TVD. But I adore Klaus, so I still haven0t decidec what I’m going to do.

Comment by Luz – April 25, 2013 06:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hayley hasn’t even been given a good chance to get some good character development in as of yet, and I think once The Originals can establish and flesh out her character, people will begin to love her. I remember when people could barely stand Caroline in Season 1.

Comment by iMember – April 25, 2013 06:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree with you. As it stands right now, I dislike her character when she’s been on TVD but they haven’t really given her much to work with yet. She could become more interesting.

Comment by Fran – April 25, 2013 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If Caroline is there, I’m in!

Comment by katrina – April 25, 2013 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah I hope there is major crossover with her character next season, even if it’s just during sweeps. I’d almost rather have Caroline on the Originals and Rebekkah on TVD.

Comment by Drewer – April 25, 2013 08:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • This! I love Rebekkah, but if they put her on the Originals, I’ll watch just for her.

Comment by dan – April 25, 2013 10:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Oh, I’d totally go for this!!

Comment by Regal – April 26, 2013 07:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yup, the CW is definitely giving this a series order. I liked it a lot! Didn’t even miss the gang in Mystic Falls. Next season should be fun with double the dose.

Comment by iMember – April 25, 2013 06:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I liked this more then TVD nowadays. No Elena drama in this new series to contend with. I LOVED last nights episode. It had such a great vibe with the hedonistic culture… it was definitely more vampy. TVD is awesome but sometimes it just kind of feels like “o here we have people and o btw they are vampires on the side”… these vamps were full in your face vamps, like Klaus himself. This series will have oodles of potential. I just wish I liked Phoebe more in her role. Please have Caroline cross over. Everyone apparently wants that.
      Side note: SO over emotionless Elena. Come on writers, move on. It’s making the show boring. I love TVD, but it’s turning very one note with Elena. They need to punch it back up.. too many storylines are getting recycled.

Comment by Danielle H. – April 26, 2013 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Using the term “jump the shark” for a PILOT (albeit, a planted on) is just trolling…

Comment by George – April 25, 2013 06:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have been a BIG champion of The Originals. I am highly disappointed in this true epitome of a jumping the shark moment. How do you do that to your show in the FIRST episode? How? The Originals should be so much better than this! It can be! The parts without Hayley (who is generally awful, I’m sure Phoebe Tonkin is lovely but Christ that character is terrible) were good if not great. So I’ll give this a try and we’ll see if they can overcome the inherent awfulness of this convoluted pregnancy.

Comment by Ari – April 25, 2013 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you! I bet half the people who reviewed haven’t even watched it yet.

Comment by Dmac – April 26, 2013 08:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t see the pregnancy coming at all. Honestly it just wasn’t all that great imo and took all I had to watch the whole episode. Elijah was the best part of it for me besides seeing the main 3 and Katherine of course.

Comment by S – April 25, 2013 06:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Elijah’s always the best part about anything involving the Original family.

Comment by ChrisGa – April 26, 2013 06:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That was lame. Klaus is having a kid *gag* and basically walke through NO the whole episode just whining like a little baby. Why would I want to see a show like that? If the CE had any sense they’d skip this crap feat and stick with TVD. Talk about pandering to small but vocal group of people who can actually stand Klaus

Comment by Rrrrrr – April 25, 2013 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved it!! More Elijah is fine with me. Marcel is an interesting character.

Comment by JAO – April 25, 2013 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • AGREED! If it bring Daniel Gilles to my TV every week, I’m in!! As a person who loves New Orleans, they got the vibe right. This could be a lot of fun, especially if THD and TO crossover!

Comment by tjj50 – April 25, 2013 08:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I just hope that the set they’ll likely build will be a sufficient enough stand-in for New Orleans, as it would likely be too difficult to film the entire series there.

Comment by Miranda – April 30, 2013 01:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t expect to like it, but I did. The Haley twist made my jaw drop. I hope they name the baby Connor, so Plec’s aping of the BtVS/Angel-verse will continue.

Comment by I Heart Damon Salvatore – April 25, 2013 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Literally yelled WTF at the pregnancy reveal; totally took me by surprise. Not sure how I feel about that plot point but loved all the other colorful characters. Definitely willing to give it a shot.

Comment by Cc – April 25, 2013 06:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can it. Upgrade elijah to a tvd regular. Pregger hayley was a shocker. Still do not like her.

Comment by lorna – April 25, 2013 06:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I

Comment by KT – April 25, 2013 06:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YEah plec even used an exact in tvd that buffy said in s2 or 3.

Comment by lorna – April 25, 2013 06:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t have any opinion on hayley, perhaps it’s because I am not a Klaroline shipper. I am wondering if people just dislike it because of shipping. Ugh. It’s just a pilot.

Comment by alexia – April 25, 2013 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nah, I can’t stand Caroline and Klaus together, but I also cannot stand the Hayley character. She’s just awful, and I guess it doesn’t help that I find the actress who plays her to be wooden and bland. Not a successful character in my opinion, and the fact that she is a main character (with a magical super baby no less) on the new show honestly makes the Originals as a show incredibly unappealing for me.

Comment by Lola – April 25, 2013 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Phoebe Tonkin is definitely not wooden nor bland. Her work on The Secret Circle was some great acting. Her character needs more Fleshing out though so we can actually get to know her more.

Comment by iMember – April 25, 2013 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I respectfully disagree. I watched the Secret Circle and didn’t like her there either. For me, she’s just not an actress that I find interesting or watchable, but to each their own! :)

Comment by Lola – April 25, 2013 10:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Agreed. She’s one step up from terrible. Her character and Marcel annoy the hell out of me and there wasn’t much else to make me really want to get invested in this spin off. Oh well, The Vampire Diaries is barely watchable these days so guess I can’t expect much from a spin off.

Comment by tripoli – April 26, 2013 01:01 AM PDT
        • I saw her on Secret Circle- she wasn’t very good. She’s very pretty, but that doesn’t make her interesting. I think the lack of interesting female characters that I want to root for in the pilot made this show unappealing, despite the colorful setting. The bartender was a little forced. If they focused on the dynamics of the witches, that might be interesting. But Klaus and Marcel in a pissing match and Phoebe Tonkin looking bored week after week? No. Bringing in Rebecca would be a start.

Comment by Alice – April 26, 2013 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Watched with this a friend who is not a Klaroline shipper and even she thought it was stupid. Hayley is an epic fail of a character and this episode did her no favors. Sorry but I think I want Klaus to stay on TVD, and this is coming from someone who wanted the spinoff.

Comment by Lala – April 25, 2013 06:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d love for Joseph Morgan to have a starring vehicle, but I prefer Klaus’s interactions with the TVD cast.

Comment by Nicole – April 25, 2013 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can I just say how hot Elijah was when he made his entrance in New Orleans and introduced himself! I could definitely do with more of the originals

Comment by Emery – April 25, 2013 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really dislike the Haley pregnancy reveal. Completely turned me off to the spin-off. I actually really liked the new characters, plus more Elijah is aways a good thing but the pregnancy thing is a disaster in my opinion. Maybe if it was Caroline I would feel differently.

Comment by KT – April 25, 2013 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If there’s no Elena I’ll give it a shot. She shows up on my screen, I’m gone :-) Call me a hater if you want, I just can’t take it anymore.

Comment by Wrstlgirl – April 25, 2013 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How i know it this originals thing would be a crap, i can take Julie writing seriously!! A pregnancy lmao, i don’t like twilight so..BTW, i hope now Caroline can have her own story when Klaus is totally gone, I am sorry but Klaus is one of the worst characters, or at least Julie ruin him, he should have stayed a villain, but know the fan service it was too strong!

Comment by liliana – April 25, 2013 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will still watch the spin-off even with the absolutely ridiculous Hayley/baby part of the story (I hate it, so cliche and stupid), but the rest of the episode I thought was really interesting.

Comment by Anna – April 25, 2013 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love it! Can’t wait see more. NOLA is a timeless city. What’s a better setting for a timeless family. I’m hooked.

Comment by cj – April 25, 2013 06:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m on-board this series if they manage to snag Zach Roerig as well. I like Matt with Rebekah. He’s her moral compass. And while they’re not exactly the best of friends yet, I’m very curious as to how their dynamic will play out which sadly might not be given the chance now since Claire Holt is off to the Originals.

Comment by Rose – April 25, 2013 06:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Originals will have, Klaus, Elijah, Rebekah and Hayley from TVD. It will also have a handful of new characters. They cannot take everyone off of TVD to put on The Originals. It needs to be its own show not all about characters from TVD. They can’t do that to TVD either and have it suffer just cause they want a spin off

Comment by S – April 25, 2013 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And here I thought that Hayley was just a one trick pony…
    Love JM’s work and wish him all the best.
    There is not enough money in the world that could make me watch The Originals.

Comment by Skadi – April 25, 2013 06:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Caroline and Klaus, and would be so much more invested in this spin-off if it centered around them, and not the awful snoozefest that is Hayley. How sad that my interest is declining before this story has even begun :’-(

Comment by Sar – April 25, 2013 06:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. New Orleans is freaky and lovely etc. and can use the money, but Klaus and Caroline are fun, more fun than much of the VD. This is not to say that Caroline and Klaus should hook up as he is a bad man and she has too much self-respect, but the banter and the tease of being better than you have been, or maybe letting out your naughty side more etc. Plus, Tyler is sooo boring! Hayley pregnant?! Good God what screaming anti-female tripe! A 20 year old should be more than a mom these days. Yeurrghhh!

Comment by charissa29 – April 25, 2013 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was so excited about this spinoff, and I loved the first part. Then the words “Hayley” and “pregnant” were uttered and my excitement hit the floor like a ton of bricks. This was supposed to be edgier, darker, more vampire .. Not a freaking episode of Werewolf Teen Mom. I don’t want to see Klaus as a father, he’s supposed to be a bada$$! If the Originals get picked up, they need to drop this storyline. There is a reason why Twilight is mocked.

Comment by Lala – April 25, 2013 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My thought exactly.

Comment by Ari – April 25, 2013 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • my thoughts exactly

Comment by B – April 25, 2013 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • agree 100%

Comment by gabby – April 25, 2013 07:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought Twilight was mocked because of glitter ball vampires? I was kinda into the idea until that happened. Also i’m a guy so can’t really read the books but the casting for the movies was pretty rubbish as well. TVD is decent but not incredible. The supernatural baby storyline is over used but maybe both Hayley and the baby will die and Klaus will go mega bad ass? Guaranteed Marcel kidnaps it or something. I like Elijah and Klaus so i’ll keep an eye on it and see where it goes. Elena is starting to really bug me. Catherine is much cooler :)

Comment by JohnG – May 16, 2013 04:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just wish caroline was going to be on the Originals. Sigh.

Comment by charissa29 – April 25, 2013 06:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wa s against the spin off when they first announced it. This episode just made it clear that it shouldn’t happen. I love the originals and there character but I love there chemistry with the rest of th tvd cast its one of the reasons there such loved characters. This haley pregnancy story line is just stupid, they need to nip that in the bud right now!

Comment by Emily – April 25, 2013 06:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I enjoyed the show and will watch it if it’s picked up.
    Could do without Hayley. The pregnancy story is lame and came out of left field. But if Elijah is there weekly I’m in.

Comment by Cathy O – April 25, 2013 06:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am willing to see how the storyline plays out. I do not hate Hayley; she hasn’t been given a lot storywise, so they need to flesh out her character more. The Originals will take heat for this though, basically copying Twilight and Angel.

Comment by Fabe – April 25, 2013 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was really enjoying the episode… until they revealed the Haley baby story. I was literally hitting my pillow and screaming “No, no, why WHY??”. BUT: I really liked the setting, i liked the new characters, i think this could be a good series (even with the baby story…) and I will be watching, if its picked up. And Elijah was just awesome.

Comment by Viv – April 25, 2013 07:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hayley is going to be on much more episodes they are just trying to twist it up. It may look like the twilight angel storyline but it is very different she is a werewolf and klaus is part werewolf/vampire so it is possible to get pregnant. It is more like the underworld storyline where Michael gets selena preggers and Michael is a hybrid. I like this show one cuz it is interesting and two it has my second favorite vampire on it which is Elijah my first vampire is Damon :) so I am still sticking with vampire diaries I am not gonna give it up just becuz of this show vampire diaries is #1 vampire show in my book along with true blood. This is my opinion though so everyone has there own opini

Comment by Elijahgirl26 – April 25, 2013 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was kinda of fine with the originals until the whole baby thing and my sisters and I were like “soo not going to watch another twilight.” Plus, Klaus was just whining and Elijah was giving lectures.

Comment by Hodan – April 25, 2013 07:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • *^everyone has there own opinions sorry touched wrong button and it cut me off.

Comment by Elijahgirl26 – April 25, 2013 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please don’t pick this up. It’s TERRIBLE. And I was a huge Originals stan. The only way to salvage it is to bring Caroline…and even possibly Tyler to the spin-off.

Comment by Amanda – April 25, 2013 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved Marcel — he is the epic badass that Klaus hasn’t been for two seasons. Elijah was incredible, but the entire thing was one super hot mess. The baby thing is totally stupid, and made me say, “Oh, Breaking Dawn Part 2.” Meh.

Comment by Charity – April 25, 2013 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Originals is just going to be a rehash of TVD. Stick to 1 vampire show, CW.

Comment by ABC – April 25, 2013 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked it. Most of the characters seem really interesting and Camille feels like a promising character, one who might have real empathy unlike all the psychopaths in Mystic Falls. Marcel is very charismatic and a good match for Klaus. Plus, Elijah walking around all suave definitely works as well. Overall, I felt like this premise really suited Klaus as a Byronic Hero. The baby plot while seemingly annoying (hated the baby plot in Angel with a passion) might be okay if they play it right. So far, I’m all right with it because of Klaus’ line about every King needing an heir. Very fitting if they do it like a kind of royalty. I really enjoyed a full episode that was barely about Elena. Looking forward to the show.

Comment by Autumn – April 25, 2013 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • As someone very wisely said on Twitter, Klaus is going to live forever….he doesn’t need an heir.

Comment by Lala – April 25, 2013 07:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wtf is this crap, calling Klaus a ‘byronic hero’? He is no hero, he’s a god damn psychopath. Pull your heads out of your ass people. Yes, Klaus is fun to watch and JM is abso-freakin’-lutely fantastic but I won’t fool myself into thinking he’s some hero.

As for this spin-off, I’m not entirely sold on it but I will give it a try. I was so impressed with the Marcel character, the actor is so charismatic. He drew me in right away, I look forward to this guy.

Hayley is beyond obnoxious, I cannot watch this woman. I don’t want to hate on the actress as I think that’s in poor taste but I’m sorry, she is bad. Why is she being forced on us? Whatever happened to letting characters and stories evolve organically? I guess that’s too much to ask from these writers but one of these days, I’d love to see the writing match the genius acting.

Comment by Elisa – April 25, 2013 10:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • ROTFL!!!! I take it you have you no idea what a Byronic Hero is? In fact, many Byronics are villains. Look up Heathcliff for instance or read The Vampyre. Just because I said hero, does not mean heroic. Why don’t you look it up? You might learn something. Klaus’ blatant disregard for society’s rules and arrogance in last night’s episode just reiterated how clear and consistent Klaus is as a character. I will leave you with Lord Byron’s “Corsair” to ponder over: “That man of loneliness and mystery,/ Scarce seen to smile, and seldom heard to sigh and/ He knew himself a villain—but he deem’d/ The rest no better than the thing he seem’d;/ And scorn’d the best as hypocrites who hid/ Those deeds the bolder spirit plainly did. / He knew himself detested, but he knew/ The hearts that loath’d him, crouch’d and dreaded too. / Lone, wild, and strange, he stood alike exempt./ From all affection and from all contempt.” Oh, and by the way, sometimes hero just means protagonist…

Comment by Autumn – April 26, 2013 05:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Don’t patronize me, I know what it means, I’m fairly certain its you that is unsure of its true meaning. Byronic heroes aren’t villians in the sense that they are inheritenly evil, or that their mission is one of evil. Klaus is most certainly evil. Maybe you should look it up before you harp on me. Calm down lady lmao!

Comment by Elisa – April 26, 2013 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • You were the one that was patronizing me to begin with. I’ve actually done tons of research on Byronic heroes on a graduate level. I know exactly what I am talking about. And Klaus is not entirely evil. THAT is the premise of this new show really. I’m assuming you don’t think Spike is a Byronic Hero either because he actually was evil before he got his soul back. But I’m not even sure why I am even bothering. To even try and say that Klaus is not Byronic seems absurd to me at best. That’s my opinion because Klaus has pretty much every Byronic trait there is. But I get that most don’t realize that there are different kinds of Byronics in literature and film. If it makes you feel better, you can call him a Byronic villain even though Byronic Heroes can be villains as I was trying to point out with the poem.

Comment by Autumn – April 26, 2013 01:18 PM PDT
          • Just had to add Anne Rice’s own quote as she purposely made Lestat Byronic: “I’ve always been fascinated by the vampire, the elegant yet evil Byronic figure. It’s easy to say it’s a metaphor for the outsider, the predator, anyone who feels freakish or monstrous or out of step but appears normal.” Or just my favorite saying: “Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to Know.” Yes, Byronic Heroes can be evil. Although the television and tropes page seems to have a hollow understanding of it.

Comment by Autumn – April 26, 2013 01:23 PM PDT
          • Elisa, I hate to break it to you but Autumn is right about this. You did respond rather rudely to her in the first place which may have caused her to lose her temper and in turn respond to you in a slightly patronizing way. But all her points are valid. I’m sorry, but I’m also well versed in Byronic Heroes and Byronics can be villainous. Many in fact are. Just because there is the word “hero” involved does not necessarily mean heroic (although a Byronic certainly can be). Perhaps there is some misinformation online about what a Byronic Hero actually is, but certainly Klaus is a Byronic almost to the extreme. There isn’t actually a lot of well-researched Byronic Hero pages online so to understand them better, further academic research may be required. Atara Stein or Harold Bloom would be a good place to start if you’re interested in them! You may also want to read up on the history of the Byronic Hero. And you may already know some of the basics, but from your comments I can see your knowledge is misinformed. I can’t really beat around that bush, sorry. Again, Byronic Heroes can be evil. In fact there are many different types of Byronic Heroes who can be classified into different subtypes. An example of a villainous Byronic Hero is Heathcliff from Wuthering Heights. Sure, he has redeemable qualities (such as his love for Cathy), but he is downright abusive, cruel, vindictive, controlling, vengeful, etc…and is a villain. Anyway, sorry but I just wanted to point out (and I really have no intent to also be patronizing, but rather truthful) that your understanding of Byronic Heroes is incorrect. And if you actually do want to know about them there’s lots of research out there if you look in the right places from sources who in turn also use reliable sources.

Comment by AT – April 26, 2013 06:34 PM PDT
  • wow, reading everything and I think 3 comments were positives…I must admit I was really excited for it. And for the first 20 minutes I was fangirling hard because it was so awesome. Marcel, Sophie, Elijah, Klaus hell, I even liked Camille. Then the Haley/pregnancy happened, I felt almost let down, and the rest of the episode just felt off from that point on. I don’t understand why they introduced such an awful plot line, lazy writing and no common sense in a back door pilot which generally is aimed at hooking the audience not alienating half of it’s fan base. I don’t even hate Haley but it was so contrived. I don’t know what to think anymore because after 4×19, I was pretty much done with TVD but I felt that the originals was going to be it’s replacement and now I’m sad almost because I don’t feel like watching either show.

Comment by daniele – April 25, 2013 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What the hell,,, it was 40 minutes and your mind us made up??? Why don’t you actually watch it next fall before you decide if you do or don’t like it. I swear TVD viewers are the most closed minded group of people: Stefan is boring, Damon is the second coming and can do no wrong, Damon and Elena are epic, Hayley is awful….You may not like all the plots but there usually is a reason for them, so why don’t you try and give it a chance.

Comment by Dmac – April 26, 2013 08:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • IM DONE WITH TVD AND THE ORIGINALS..

u cant have all this potential and amazing actors an RUIN EVERYTHING writing this big plot twist that has not sense..

its LIKE A SOAP OPERA!

i cant believe that they really write about this pregnancy!!

THE ORIGINALS IS THE NEW BEAUTIFUL??
    IM SORRY BECAUSE I LOVE JOMO, but he deserve so much better than this!

Comment by SILVIA – April 25, 2013 07:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Perhaps they will kill Hayley after the baby comes… I really liked Phoebe Tonkin on Secret Circle, just not digging the Hayley character at all. Joseph Morgan was wonderful, as always.

Comment by Krista – April 25, 2013 07:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Doubt it. Julie Plec had told Phoebe Tonkin about putting her in the spin-off since JULY last year. Before Season 4 even premiered. The writers love the actress (I do too!) and there is no way they are going to have gone through all that trouble to kill her off in the end.

Comment by iMember – April 25, 2013 08:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was so unbelievably excited to see Klaus in his own show, although I love him interacting with the Mystic Falls cast it could be a great new concept. The setting was awesome and Elijah has been severely underused, and I loved the whole concept of King Marcel.

……and then comes the baby.

Are you SERIOUS? Why the hell would they even do that at ALL in the series let alone Episode 1. I definitely do not want Daddy Klaus and I was looking forward to seeing where they would take Hayley’s character in New Orleans WITHOUT a +1.

SO disappointed with the decision of that bombshell. I can only hope they scrap that idea quick-smart and continue on with New Orleans in all it’s greatness.

Comment by Abbey – April 25, 2013 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Everyone saying they should not pick up the show, you do realize that all that means is that eventually Klaus and the other Originals will come back to Mystic Falls and Klaus WILL STILL BE A FATHER-TO-BE? That plot won’t just go away even if the spin-off isn’t picked up.

Comment by iMember – April 25, 2013 08:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • In that case, I really liked the originals. A….great first episode. I really hope it gets a full season order. So, Klaus can have his baby drama in his own show.

Comment by Hodan – April 25, 2013 08:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG YOU PEOPLE ARE SO WACK.! u guys watch a show and once they start to open up and do different things it’s like OMG no like the show aint gunna be on forever it got like wat 2 more seasons or prob even 1. I LOVED LOVED LOVED the ORIGINALS ep. I didnt miss no tvd characters. i did want caroline to be w klaus but honestly that gurl is such a whore that if she ended up w tyler klaus or stephan i could care less. W klaus gone she could be w tyler now. I mean i like her w stephan more.! Tyler is useless. But i love haley. Loved Phoebe ever since H2O & then when she was on the secreat circle. Thats my girl. She’s new so yeaa she dont got a story line yet. But she will now w the baby. I want them to become close friends and atleast try dating but if it don’t work then just remain really close. I love this show & i hope and pray that it gets picked up for a season and once the TVD finishes their final season. . . which it will be done in like a year i hope to watch the Originals. Its interesting to see klaus & his siblings go beyond TVD. The show needs a new atmosphere and new beginnings and they found one.!!! I hope it comes out with a season then another one then another one.!!!!!!! :-D YA SUCK I LOVED IT.!

Comment by Angel – April 25, 2013 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree with you! I am really looking forward to what will happen next! :D

Comment by Lisette – April 25, 2013 08:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Are yoy joking!!!!!! Hayley Preganat!!!!!! Why?!?! Worst plot twist EVER!!! I hate Hayley and it just seemed so forced! What is this Twilight! At least with twilight it kind of fit with the style of thr books, but this? Has The Originals become a soap opera!!! And just because the producers like and actress doesn’t mean that the fans should have to suffer such a horrendous chracter! The actress is good but Hayley as a character is horrible! The should kill her and the baby, that would be a good plot twist!

Comment by Jas – April 25, 2013 08:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay honestly I think they shouldn’t have rushed into making Hayley pregnant. They should’ve took their time with the show when it came to something like that. But I’m not going to lie, I think this episode was really interesting considering how evil and heartless Klaus is. The best part of this episode to me was when Klaus used his hybrid senses to hear the baby’s heartbeat.

Comment by Lisette – April 25, 2013 08:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s not like twilight at all it is more like underworld Bella was not werewolf she was 100% human it is gonna be a totally different pregnancy hayley is a werewolf she wont die like bella did .If they didn’t have this storyline then what possible storyline could they have done they had to make it surprising and different and a twist. It may not be the best storyline to go with but it gives them something to start with. Give it a chance even if its not the best storyline it may turn out to be ok it is just a innocent little baby. Give the storyline a chance. It will never be like twilight there maybe vampires and werewolfs but its a werewolf that is pregnant and the baby is going to be a vampire werewolf hybrid those are common on this show and in a movie called underworld which is way more amazing than twilight. So you don’t even know what’s going to happen the baby storyline isn’t gonna be the only storyline there will be others. All I’m saying is give this show a chance it has only been the first episode.

Comment by Elijahgirl26 – April 25, 2013 08:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t like it at all. Once they started in on the baby crap I turned off the tv. It’s just too big of a leap for me that after all these years if it were possible Klaus wouldn’t have knocked up someone already but now he suddenly gets this annoying little twit preggo…doubtful. Lost one viewer before the show even begun.

Comment by Jessica – April 25, 2013 08:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Either no one was around to tell Julie Plec this was a horrid idea, or she didn’t listen.

Comment by Kayla – April 25, 2013 09:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Original is really good is so different than TVD is much darker in tone, and Klaus ( Elijah and Rebeka) are looking for redemption, and the dinamic between Klaus and Marcel are good and the witches are more interesting than Bonnie. But the pregnancy storyline turn me off, is a stupid plot. not matter if Klaus is an hybrid he is still an Vampire who means he is dead he cant have a babys.

I hope that the writers not change Marcel, he can be a great villain a dark one so different than Klaus. Im not a fan of Hayle but she has potential to be a good character the same with the witch who I not remember her name, The only one who doesnt have that kind of energy is that Camille girl, in the first scene she appears she reminds me to Kate Lockley the detective from Angel series (season 1&2). I could see Camille become the Matt from The Original.

and dont freak out for Klaroline, if the show end it with Klaus calling Caroline it means something.

Comment by xxx – April 25, 2013 09:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought of Kate too but differently because I absolutely LOVED her character.

Comment by Autumn – April 26, 2013 07:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post