General Hospital Casts ATWT Vet Maura West -- As a Member of the Jerome Crime Family?

General Hospital Cast Maura West Ava JeromeTwo-time Daytime Emmy winner/As the World Turns vet Maura West is heading to ABC’s General Hospital — perhaps to start a new branch of the long-dormant Jerome crime family tree.

RELATED | Prospect Park Sues ABC Over AMC and OLTL Licensing, Alleges Sabotage

As first reported by Soap Opera Digest, West has been cast in the new role of Ava Jerome, with no further details being offered.

As longtime GH fans know, Victor Jerome was a onetime crime boss there in Port Charles, one who had quite the fixation on Lucy Coe. Similarly, the old man’s daughter Olivia (played by Tonja Walker, inset) created all kinds of headaches for object-of-her-obsession Duke Lavery and his wife Anna.

Will GH play a bit loose with the math and make Ava a long-lost daughter of the deceased Olivia? Or is she a never-before-seen Jerome empire heir?

RELATED | All My Children Bombshell Chrishell Stause Joins Days of Our Lives

In addition to her nearly 15-year run as ATWT‘s Carly — during which she amassed seven Daytime Emmy nods, converting in 2007 and ’10 — West played The Young and the Restless‘ Diane from October 2010 to August 2011.

1. Rebecca says:

Yes!!!!! I have missed seeing her on my tv daily. She was the only reason I watched ATWT. Now, I trust GH to write better for her than Y&R did…don’t let me down.

2. lori says:

She’s fabulous.

3. LLA says:

She is amazing actress. Maybe I will have to tune in to GH.

4. Al says:

Or maybe Ava is nickname for a recast Olivia Jerome? As they already have one Olivia (Falconeri) on the show, obviously doesn’t want to confuse audience. Either way it’ll be exciting to see the amazing actress on another show! She totally got shafted on Young and the Restless.

5. Gillian says:

Great news! Looking forward to her upcoming storyline. Y&R definitely dropped the ball with her. Their loss is GH’s gain- same with Emme Rylan and Genie Francis.

6. Chicago Dan says:

West is an outstanding actress, who was a) recast in the wrong role at Y&R; and b) given horrible material. I may have to check out GH. Hope this works out for her.

7. Daniela says:

Maria Arena Bell bullied her through her stint on Y&R. After she was finished with West she moved on to Sharon Case. I’m so glad to have Maura West back on-screen. Lets hope that GH knows better to use this unbelievable talent that West is.

8. L says:

Yay! i only know her from Y&R but Im excited to see her on my GH! She seemed quite capable on Y&R just put in the wrong role, but she is in capable hands and i know Frank and Ron have something good up their sleeves for her on GH.

9. L says:

Also, hopefully she is not a recast Olivia Jerome and we will get her and Tonja Walker on GH at some point!

10. Jesse says:

She never should have been cast as Diane in the first place!! I am new to GH, so I hope it works out in her favor! I hope she gets another epic CarJack romance!!

11. Stella says:

Just as the show was getting away fromt he stupid mob stories, they are going back to it. When will they learn that no one wants this junk? The ratings are the best in years due to less Sonny and more Q’s. UGH!

12. dude says:

Ugh. She is the worst. Why does she have to crap on my favourite soap?

13. DavidSask says:

Kill the mob stories permanently no one wants them back, if they do so I like many who came back to the show will revolt!!!

14. amichelle says:

I’m super excited! If they’re bringing back the Jerome family they can bring back Bobbie’s son Lucas since his bio dad was a Jerome. Oh the possibilities. And gh has close of 40 years of history with mobsters (the Jerome’s first popped up in the late 70s) it makes every sense to bring on a long forgotten mob family that has no connection to Sonny. Anyway congrats to maura west and welcome to the gh family!

• Kim Reed says:

There was kind of a hint that Lucas may be heading Pt Charles way when Bobbie returned earlier earlier this year. I think he will arrive and start up something with Felix.

15. Kira says:

I don’t think GH will ever completely drop the mob storylines. It has been a part of the show for 20+ years. I think they main focus should be the hospital but if they do a mob storyline every once in a while I’ll be fine. Especially since the writing has improved in the last few months.

16. Pennagirl says:

Oh great, trying to get back to the General Mobster soap. GH was finally starting to show signs of longevity…but going back to the mob storylines….well I think that the 40 year run is coming to an end…IF TPTB go with this. I love Maura West, but resurrecting the Jerome family…fricking stupid.

• Italyanboy says:

Actually Pennagirl, it’s been a 50 year run, not 40. I assume you were a fan of GH at one point, what was your favorite time on GH?

17. Magically Suspicious says:

If they sign up Michael Park for a CarJack 2.0, I’ll start watching soaps again! I haven’t watched since ATWT went off the air.

18. Todd says:

Love Maura!! She’ll be a great addition. I cannot believe how much GH history that Ron knows; I had totally forgotten about the Jerome Family. Frank and Ron are known for giving character’s nicknames, so no one knows who is coming. Can’t wait!

19. Shay says:

Not excited by this development at all…btw, it’s been a really boring week on GH! Need to bring back Frisco asap…and Rick Springfield, too. Also, pleeeeeeze get rid of Sabrina…her contrived romance with Patrick is just plain silly. The physical makeover has made no difference for that character…she’s still just a boring little simp with no personality whatsoever, and Patrick is becoming mighty dull in her company, as well. Their so-called “chemistry” is non-existent, and this instant relationship is just plain stupid. Still hoping for Britt to put an end to the farce….will be interesting to see what happens today with her scheme. Also….what is the deal with exposing Emma to all these adult themes? (The baby/abortion stuff and “Felix likes boys!”) She’s already too precocious for her own good and obnoxious enough with playing matchmaker with Sabrina and her father….we don’t need to make her part of Felix’s “fabulous” posse. Again, I request. could we please just dispense with these annoying and unnecessary peeps???? Lastly, not enjoying the NuLuLu…she reminds me of one of those kids from “Whoville” with her bug-eyed expressions!!!!!

• nia says:

I like the Sabrina/Patrick storyline. I think the writers are leading up to something. And it was not instant they have building up their relationship. It wasn’t like poof all of sudden they notice each other. If you from the time they met up until now they have bonded. They were friends first .As for emma, that is so robin when she was younger. Headstrong.

20. Vicki says:

Thank goodness for Maura! I wish all the ATWT cast could get back

21. Vicki says:

Thank goodness for Maura! I wish all the ATWT cast could get back on daytime. They are really missed. Y & R sure missed their mark with her. And now a new Abbie and a new Kyle? Why does Y & R mess with their cast like that?

22. Hey nice Blog!! keep posting!! If you need any lab instruments, visit my site (click on my name)

23. mel says:

How come everyone is so down on the mob storylines. It adds flare to the show. Who needs only romance all time? Boring. Yes bring back the mob please. time to see Sonny in his element again.