Once Upon a Time First Look: Regina's Evil Undercover Mission, Hook's Captive Return

Next Sunday on ABC’s Once Upon a Time, evil is everywhere you turn — male, female, past and present. And we’ve got a first look at fresh photos from Season 2′s antepenultimate hour.

RELATED | Season Finale Scoopapalooza: More Than 100 Spoilers on Your Fave Series’ Endgames, Including Once Upon a Time, Supernatural, Bones, Revenge and More!

In “The Evil Queen,” Lana Parrilla’s titular sorceress — newly aware of the magic bean crop — sets in motion a plan that will transport her and Henry back to Fairytale Land. To heck with everyone else! Elsewhere in Storybrooke, Emma’s suspicions about Tamara grow, while in FTL flashbacks we see the Evil Queen ask Rumplestiltskin to shapeshift her into an unrecognizable peasant in order to kill an unsuspecting Snow White. But by the looks of things, Regina’s malicious masquerade turns out to be anything but a party.

Jane Espenson, who co-wrote the episode with Christine Boylan, told TVLine at Saturday’s GLAAD Media Awards, “Oh my goodness. If you thought you liked seeing our ladies together, wait until you see Regina and Snow have an adventure together.”

Check out the gallery below, then hit the comments with your thoughts.

Comments (27)

• I so hope we get more of the principal characters and less chatter from new ones.

Comment by lyn – April 22, 2013 04:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Regina and Snow are *not* the two OUAT “ladies” which many fans are interested in seeing “together” and Espenson knows it.

Comment by Leigh – April 22, 2013 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They would be my second choice though. Espensons episodes are usually the best, so I’m looking forward to this one.

Comment by Mike – April 22, 2013 04:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I want more Emma and Snoww :) I know we got that in the first half of the season, but I want more of the mother/daughter relationship!!

Comment by luli – April 22, 2013 08:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Me Too! I also want more Emma and her Dad. I know they are both adults, but it would be cool to see David spend sometime and mentor his little girl.

Comment by EL – April 23, 2013 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m not sure what you’re getting at? It’s not like Jane Espenson can just pick and choose which characters she gets to write together. And I, for one, am always looking forward to more Regina and Snow White. Lana and Ginnifer are amazing together and their characters deserve to have more of their backstory revealed and their dynamic explored.

Comment by Louise – April 23, 2013 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on Welcome To My World (My Life My Way ツ. My Destiny).

Comment by LissaCaldina – April 22, 2013 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well from the season finale photos the cast posted on twitter- Regina, David, Snow, Emma, and I think Hook are on the ship-possible Rumple too. But no Henry or Neal :( I REALLY REALLY want Neal back next season.

Comment by Elly – April 22, 2013 05:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • From the location photos, it appears that Neal ends up in the Enchanted Forest, separated from the rest of the “family”, which I’m guessing may have something to do with Regina, the beans, and getting revenge on Rumple. And it sounds like MRJ has singed on (if unofficially) for season 3. When a fan tweeted him about the movie he’s now filming “what does that mean you wont be on ouat anymore??” he replied “No, it won’t effect #OUAT”. Fingers crossed the family will be reunited quickly, even if it’s not in Storybrooke. And here’s hoping Regina doesn’t nuke the town between Henry’s kidapping and the end of episode 22. I like Storybrooke/Steveston. Way more spoiler photos than when they’re filming in the woods!

Comment by ej – April 22, 2013 10:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i actually think having Henry and his Dad on an adventure for while, separated from the pull & push of his two “mom’s” might let be a great storyline!

Comment by EL – April 23, 2013 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Gross. But no. Henry is with Tamara and Greg.

Comment by sara – April 23, 2013 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I did not mean to make a “gross” statement, truly. I was just stating that Henry spent every year, up until last year, with Regina and then within this past year, he has been dealing with sorting out his feeling regarding the different adults within his life. Learning that his “mother” was/is an evil queen, meeting his “birth mother”, meeting his “maternal grandparents” and finding out that his “mother” and his “maternal grandparents” have been at war for years. Then if that isn’t enough, he learns his “birth father” is alive and well, not dead as he was previously told, and that his “paternal grandfather” is the “Dark One/Mr. Gold”; someone who his “mother”, “birth mother”, “maternal grandparents”, “birth father” and even “paternal grandmother” have complex if not negative relationships with. Not to mention, his “adoptive maternal grandmother” (who did he even really meet?), had a love-affare & love-hate relationship with his “paternal grandfather”.

Henry has alway loved the Fairy Tale characters and has wanted to see the land from where his family come, so what I meant when I said I thought it might be good for Henry to get away with his Dad and have some kind of adventure, was just that. The two of them do not know each other well and Neal seems like a good enough guy. Plus he is familiar with FT land & he could show his son from where they come, while Henry takes a break from the interwoven family tree. A break from Regina’s mind games and a break from Henry feeling the weight of the town on his shoulders.

How do you know Henry is with Tamara & Greg.

Comment by EL – April 23, 2013 10:32 PM PDT
      • I don’t think that Regina returning to FTL at ANY point is a good idea for her because she will return to the very problem that convinced her to use the Dark Curse in the first place!
        I’m sure the “protection curse” that Rumple put on the Charmings so that Regina could not harm them in ANY way, while in FTL, is still in affect upon their return. How is this a good idea? The Charmings can simply walk right up to Regina, take Henry, and simply walk away!….. She would not be able to do ANYTHING!…….. Unless the writers are going to change their own rules again….. *whispers* like they did in LOST (noooooo) :(

Comment by Doc – April 24, 2013 12:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Are those first few photos supposed to be of Snow and Regina as the unrecognizable peasant? Because if so, Regina is not at all unrecognizable.

Comment by Andy – April 22, 2013 05:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Dollars to donuts the spell wore off by then, dontcha think?

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – April 22, 2013 05:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I hope so, I hope so.

Comment by Andy – April 22, 2013 05:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Is probably being done similar to how other shows and movies have done it… You will see flashes of the “peasant” appearance of Regina, but for the most part it will be Lana that the audience sees… basically Snow will see the peasant, the audience will see Regina…

Charmed did this when the Halliwell sisters assumed new identities in the 8th and final season… in mirrors, photos, etc… different actresses were seen, but for most of each show they looked the same to the “audience”…

Comment by Cory Myers – April 22, 2013 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well, didn’t they already do this in “Hat Trick” where Regina was the old hag who Jefferson wanted to buy a stuffed animal “White Rabbit” for Paige/Grace, and he didn’t have enough money, so she turned him away….. and then passed in front of a mirror where they revealed it was Regina while she spoke to Sidney/Genie in the mirror…”?”

Comment by Doc – April 24, 2013 12:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m still rooting for redemption for Regina. And I’m down with more Emma+Regina stuff; those two are just fantastic together.

Comment by mia – April 22, 2013 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show and I will keep watching but seriously enough with the Regina vs Snow fight. FTL must be full of possibilites and wonderful stories but we get another Regina/Snow battle that we know doomed to fail. We know why, we know what, we know there won’t be any consequence…so please stop. It is the same with Regina in Storybrooke: at the beginning of the season she was ready to make so efforts for Henry and now she is a the exact same point that in season 1. As much as I appreciate the actor, Neal did’nt bring anything really exiciting, Rumple is back in the “I will kill everyone I dislike” game, approuved by a Dark Belle/Lacey (at least that’s new), Emma is still clueless…I don’t know how I feel about the beans storyline (always good to see Jorge Garcia on the screen but that doesn’t make it all) but it seems it’s one step forward, two steps backward with this show. I hope the couple of episodes coming will be game changers because the characters clearly need to evolve.

Comment by Azerty – April 22, 2013 11:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I could not agree more!
      it would be nice to have the Charming’s / Regina fights finished. lets have a new “bad guy” or some other conflict for everyone to take on, either together or to add to the dynamic. but the constant back & forth is becoming dull.

The only part of your statement where I disagree, is regarding Neal. I think the writers are deliberately “slowly” introducing him into the dynamic & withholding much of his true character, for some big reveal soon. I’ve found it curious that random characters that we see once or twice, get entire episodes devoted to their back-story, yet besides what we’ve seen through Rumple’s back-story, we have yet to learn much about Neal. Obviously, the writers have done that on purpose.

Comment by EL – April 24, 2013 07:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Regina’s a very unrecognizable peasant indeed… good magic Rumple! :P

Comment by Carda – April 23, 2013 02:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want Emma and Ruby to team up again soon!!

Comment by Shaun – April 23, 2013 08:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I really miss Emma and Ruby scenes too. *sigh*

Comment by Louise – April 23, 2013 09:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • me too! i just miss Ruby. The writers really under use a great actress.

Comment by EL – April 24, 2013 07:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like the idea of Henry and Neal in FTL.
    Once Regina discovered the beans, it’s guaranteed she is getting to foil the plan to get back to FTL.

Comment by Name That Tune – April 23, 2013 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If you think about it, to go back to FTL would not exactly be smart though because isn’t that where the wraith is?

Comment by Louise – April 23, 2013 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post