Pitch Perfect-Like Unscripted Series In the Works from Idol Producers and 'The NCAA of A Cappella'

Get More: News, Pilots, Reality TV

VarsityVocalsAmerican Idol producer 19 Entertainment and their parent company Core Media have inked a deal with Varsity Vocals to develop an unscripted series that chronicles the nation’s premiere, Pitch Perfect-inspiring a cappella tournament.

Amanda Newman, the executive director for Varsity Vocals — which she likens to “the NCAA for a cappella” — tells TVLine the series “will follow the ICCA, which is the International Championship of Collegiate A Cappella, through the whole tournament series,” including local, regional and final rounds.

(Newman announced the partnership on Saturday night at the ICCA International finals in NYC, our sister site Deadline first reported.)

RELATED | American Idol: What Should the Top 4 Sing for One-Hit Wonders/Contestant’s Choice?

“The idea is to show what you saw in Pitch Perfect,” the crowd-pleasing 2012 movie starring Anna Camp, Brittany Snow and Rebel Wilson and “based on a true story about our tournament,” Newman says. “It’d show the groups going through all the rounds of the tournament leading up to the finals, and also show a bit of the students’ backgrounds.”

RELATED | NBC Renews The Sing-Off for Season 4

Newman stresses that the project is not scripted and “not at all” a soundstage-based singing competition à la NBC’s The Sing-Off, which was recently renewed for Season 4 in the wake of Pitch Perfect‘s big buzz. Instead, “It will follow the real tournaments that already exist,” she says.

No further details are available at this time; Core Media/19 Entertainment did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Comments (21)

• Oh yeah. What the world needs is yet another singing competition show. Ugh. Nope.

Comment by kirads09 – April 21, 2013 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Read the second-to-last paragraph again.

Comment by thewb – April 21, 2013 07:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Right. Another singing competition where nothing will come out of any of the contestants. They’ll be singing in a subway station as soon as the show is over. These talent shows are simply about ratings. When the show’s over, so are you.

Comment by Laquisha – April 21, 2013 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Pentatonix does quite well for themselves.So do a few other groups.

Comment by Shaun – April 21, 2013 04:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Read the second-to-last paragraph again. (I feel like a broken record on this board!)

Comment by thewb – April 21, 2013 07:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If you read the article you can see it’s not trying to be AI. It’s more like a documentary. The vast majority of college a Capella singers just enjoy singing as a hobby and aren’t trying to “make it big.”

Comment by Tracie – April 21, 2013 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You and I may be the only people who actually read the story lol

Comment by Lauren – April 21, 2013 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • add me to the list! I read the article and never once did I assume it’s a singing competition show.

Comment by Elyse – April 21, 2013 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • me, too… how can people read this article and not realize that it is exactly not a singing competition, marketing some winner for a short time, but like Tracie said “more life a documentary” …. I guess they didn’t read it..

Comment by Jules – April 22, 2013 01:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly. They’re just doing what they would normally be doing, the only difference is that there will be cameras following them. This is a well-known, respected competition that isn’t going to let producer interference or audience reaction affect the outcome of the competition.

Comment by BGM – April 21, 2013 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like the idea of this, sounds a bit like CW’s Breaking Pointe.

Comment by Lauren – April 21, 2013 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Smash is going to be cancelled, Nashville could survive another season, Glee was renewed for 2 more seasons and now a sort of Pitch Perfect the series? please no more musical shows. I rather see with my kids teenage comedy musical silly shows on nick or disney

Comment by Fernanda – April 21, 2013 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh sounds awesome. I love a Capella music. Sign me up :) just no singing baby got back.

Comment by Mark – April 21, 2013 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t often get into unscripted shows, but I did mostly enjoy Breaking Pointe. I wish they focused a little less on that Rex/Allison drama. My favorite part really was the rehearsals. I’d probably watch this if they didn’t go overboard with the personal drama, especially if it’s just annoying and repetitive.

Comment by Tee – April 21, 2013 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The thing is,The Sing Off is coming back,so this is basically the same premise but with more background on the people in it.

Comment by Shaun – April 21, 2013 04:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m in, as long as it’s more about the singing and not the behind-the-scenes “drama.”

Comment by lariet50 – April 21, 2013 06:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s a little strange that you named the three supporting stars of Pitch Perfect but not the actual star – Anna Kendrick.

Comment by sadie – April 22, 2013 06:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I read the story, and I’m really excited about it–sounds awesome! I love The Sing-Off, but the idea of following this competition sound like a lot of fun. I’m a “Glee” type singer from way back–I remember the butterflies and competition!

Comment by Kim – April 22, 2013 08:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I work with a variety of singers and will enjoy a non-manipulated competition of this nature.

Comment by Guitar Blue – April 22, 2013 04:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “The Sing-Off” is coming back? YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by darcy's evil twin – April 23, 2013 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post