Pitch Perfect-Like Unscripted Series In the Works from Idol Producers and 'The NCAA of A Cappella'

VarsityVocalsAmerican Idol producer 19 Entertainment and their parent company Core Media have inked a deal with Varsity Vocals to develop an unscripted series that chronicles the nation’s premiere, Pitch Perfect-inspiring a cappella tournament.

Amanda Newman, the executive director for Varsity Vocals — which she likens to “the NCAA for a cappella” — tells TVLine the series “will follow the ICCA, which is the International Championship of Collegiate A Cappella, through the whole tournament series,” including local, regional and final rounds.

(Newman announced the partnership on Saturday night at the ICCA International finals in NYC, our sister site Deadline first reported.)

RELATED | American Idol: What Should the Top 4 Sing for One-Hit Wonders/Contestant’s Choice?

“The idea is to show what you saw in Pitch Perfect,” the crowd-pleasing 2012 movie starring Anna Camp, Brittany Snow and Rebel Wilson and “based on a true story about our tournament,” Newman says. “It’d show the groups going through all the rounds of the tournament leading up to the finals, and also show a bit of the students’ backgrounds.”

RELATED | NBC Renews The Sing-Off for Season 4

Newman stresses that the project is not scripted and “not at all” a soundstage-based singing competition à la NBC’s The Sing-Off, which was recently renewed for Season 4 in the wake of Pitch Perfect‘s big buzz. Instead, “It will follow the real tournaments that already exist,” she says.

No further details are available at this time; Core Media/19 Entertainment did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

1. kirads09 says:

Oh yeah. What the world needs is yet another singing competition show. Ugh. Nope.

2. Laquisha says:

Right. Another singing competition where nothing will come out of any of the contestants. They’ll be singing in a subway station as soon as the show is over. These talent shows are simply about ratings. When the show’s over, so are you.

3. Tracie says:

If you read the article you can see it’s not trying to be AI. It’s more like a documentary. The vast majority of college a Capella singers just enjoy singing as a hobby and aren’t trying to “make it big.”

• Lauren says:

You and I may be the only people who actually read the story lol

• Elyse says:

add me to the list! I read the article and never once did I assume it’s a singing competition show.

• Jules says:

me, too… how can people read this article and not realize that it is exactly not a singing competition, marketing some winner for a short time, but like Tracie said “more life a documentary” …. I guess they didn’t read it..

• BGM says:

Exactly. They’re just doing what they would normally be doing, the only difference is that there will be cameras following them. This is a well-known, respected competition that isn’t going to let producer interference or audience reaction affect the outcome of the competition.

4. Lauren says:

I like the idea of this, sounds a bit like CW’s Breaking Pointe.

5. Fernanda says:

Smash is going to be cancelled, Nashville could survive another season, Glee was renewed for 2 more seasons and now a sort of Pitch Perfect the series? please no more musical shows. I rather see with my kids teenage comedy musical silly shows on nick or disney

6. Mark says:

Oh sounds awesome. I love a Capella music. Sign me up :) just no singing baby got back.

7. Tee says:

I don’t often get into unscripted shows, but I did mostly enjoy Breaking Pointe. I wish they focused a little less on that Rex/Allison drama. My favorite part really was the rehearsals. I’d probably watch this if they didn’t go overboard with the personal drama, especially if it’s just annoying and repetitive.

8. Shaun says:

The thing is,The Sing Off is coming back,so this is basically the same premise but with more background on the people in it.

9. lariet50 says:

I’m in, as long as it’s more about the singing and not the behind-the-scenes “drama.”

10. sadie says:

It’s a little strange that you named the three supporting stars of Pitch Perfect but not the actual star – Anna Kendrick.

11. Kim says:

I read the story, and I’m really excited about it–sounds awesome! I love The Sing-Off, but the idea of following this competition sound like a lot of fun. I’m a “Glee” type singer from way back–I remember the butterflies and competition!

12. Guitar Blue says:

I work with a variety of singers and will enjoy a non-manipulated competition of this nature.

13. darcy's evil twin says:

“The Sing-Off” is coming back? YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!