Spoiler Alert!: Reviews and Previews of Mad Men, Game of Thrones, The Good Wife and More; Plus - Nikita Season 4 Renewal Update

blog_spoiler_4.21.13In this week’s Spoiler Alert!, Matt Mitovich and I welcome to the couch TVLine favorite Kim Roots – and not for psychiatric evaluation, either.

Before I decide that she’s “a little too sassy” for the room, she joins us in critiquing the new season of Mad Men, giving a (gulp) hand to Game of Thrones and previewing both a Good Wife game-changer and the season finale of Hannibal!

And that’s just the tip of the iceberg!

RELATED | May Season Finale Scoop: More Than 100 Spoilers on Your Fave Series’ Endgames

We also offer a renewal update on Nikita and sing the praises of BBC America’s Orphan Black.

Press PLAY below, and then hit the comments with your feedback on our feedback.

1. Pamela says:

no offense, but I really just like to read the parts I want to, not have to wade thru 10 minutes. please print it out as well. thanks

• PPPG says:

That and for the deaf and hearing impaired. Th YouTube captioning sucks as it’s voice nonrecognition.

• DSG says:

I am hearing impaired and cannot hear this without closed captioning – would you either add or also type out what you are saying?

• JoyAnne says:

I’ve learned over the years that we, the hearing impaired are completely ignored in video clips and online streaming. At least now when I see an episode I really enjoy of The Mentallist I can buy it from iTunes with CC. Big improvement.

• Larc says:

I agree! I hate having to listen to a bunch of stuff I have absolutely no interest in. Please post in text form and let me select what I want to read.

• eddie says:

just skim through the video if you dont care about mad men skip to the part where theyre talking about GOT, if you dont like that skip to the nikita news. its not that big of a deal.

• dutchee says:

It IS a big deal if you cannot hear it!!

• dude says:

Life can’t always be customized for every disability. Short people can’t go on roller coasters. If you can’t hear the video, that’s unfortunate but not the end of the world. Simply don’t watch. The nature of the video is a casual discussion. They’re not saying anything you can’t read in their recaps or spoiler articles.

• Josh says:

Did you just compare being short with hearing impaired? Seriously? SERIOUSLY?

• Aryn says:

I can’t skim a video when I am deaf, have some compassion man!! Not all people can hear the stinking spoiler videos :( Please TVLINE put it in text format for people too; not because of our disability but because it’s the right thing to do. Thank you for being considerate of all people!

• WotV says:

I agree. I took an informal poll on FACEBOOK about written vs video content and my small sampling agrees they’d rather be able to skim and read and that they navigate away from video instead of watching. Personally, I’ll wait to see what happens on Game of Thrones. I don’t have time for the vid.

• Sue says:

I’m in that category as well. I don’t have time to skim through the video when I can read much quicker and be on to something else. Much prefer reading about something.

• Cindy says:

I agree with the other posts about not wanting to watch a video; in fact,I skip it and go to where there are printed words; I hope I haven’t missed anything important;if so, I guess I’ll find out when the shows air

• wordsmith says:

Spoiler Alert! has really always been more about the gossip than the scoop. You watch it to see the antics and hear the honest critiques. There are plenty of other articles on this site where you can get your spoilers.

• dude says:

They get this critique every week. Give it up. It’s a roundtable discussion, not an article. It can’t be easily translated in print. A 10+ minute discussion translated would be like 8000 words. You don’t have to watch everything they post. If you don’t like watching videos, don’t watch. It won’t change your life.

• j says:

Same here – I am at work and would prefer to read the info than listen to it so no one knows I’m reviewing my tv watching for tonight;)

• Chloe says:

Agreed!!! Would really appreciate that. Thank you!!

• dancingisfun says:

I agree soooooo much

• Pat says:

I agree, the videos are annoying, just let us read the news!

2. nikki says:

I second that

3. Dan says:

I’m glad ‘Nikita’ is most likely coming back for a 4th Season but I hate that it’ll be a shortened 10 episode final season. The show is good! it’s just on the wrong network.

Also, couldn’t agree more about ‘Oprhan Black’ that show is awesome! and definitely my favorite *new* show of the year.

• sarah says:

i 100% agree with you about nikita. Glad that its a safe bet for a 4th season but i wish it will be a full season!!! it is def on the wrong network &/or wrong night!!!

• ali says:

it’s definitely on the wrong night…if they put it on wednesday night (lamest tv night in my opinion) on a different network i think it would do a lot better…the cw seems to do so much better with lovey dovey shows…even if they aren’t girly the focus still has to have a major love story…nikita just has couples in love…not the main focus…which is fine with me…i love the show!!

• luli says:

Wait why a shortened season?!?!?! Is this already confirmed?!?!

• LPala says:

Nikita started the season with fairly weak episodes. We figured 22 episodes, coincidentally 22 former agents to find. But they went further than that and as the season progressed, the episodes got better. Unfortunately, they may have lost some of their audience before the episodes started getting really good. BTW, if you haven’t watched Arrow, it’s a great, fun show.

4. Rob says:

Yay! I’m soooo happy about Nikita’s “safe bet!” Lol I’ll take what I can get. This show is so awesome!

• James says:

It will likely get a full season. A short season would not make any sense when syndication is so close. Siverstein tweeted about this saying “where did they get that number from”

5. phoofy cat says:

Would like to read your comments, too much data cost to watch.

6. Dan says:

**Orphan Black** ugh! can’t believe I spelled it wrong.

7. Rrrrrr says:

Matt doesn’t watch GoT?!?! Wtf is going on there? How do you work for a television site and NOT watch GoT?

8. Brenda says:

I clicked through from Twitter expecting a transcript. I’d live to see one, too.

9. Brenda says:

“love”

10. Kel says:

I didn’t feel like trying to watch the view above so would someone mind telling me what it said about Nikita?? are they definately renewing it & will it only be a shortened final season or a FULL season?? I’m hoping for a full season, it’s such a good show!!!!

• Dan says:

@Kel he said: “Nikita which had been “too close to call” has been upgraded to “a safe bet” for Season 4. I’m hearing there is now a solid chance the Maggie Q fronted series will return for a shortened order of around 10 episodes.”

• luli says:

NOOOOOOOO! why ten episodes?!?!?! I want a FULL season!

• Sareeta says:

Thanks for posting this. I didn’t want to wade through spoilers for these series just to get Nikita news. Glad to know it is very likely coming back. 10 episodes is better than none, so I’m perfectly ok with it.

• Kym says:

I also would prefer to see the dialog of the videos in print. Yes, I can fast forward the parts I don’t want to watch & yes, *sometimes* the videos are cute, but mostly, it’s just an annoyance. Love you all, Matt, Michael & new woman (was it Kim?), and I don’t mind watching OCCASIONALLY, but I really don’t like to feel that watching is the only way to get my spoiler fix.

And humbug to the people who want to pick on me for not actually *needing* a spoiler fix… like d’uh!

11. Allison P says:

So happy about the Nikita update! I’ve been really loving this season, especially the last few episodes, so I can’t wait to see what happens next season.

12. ddddddddddddddd says:

I happy to hear that Nikita is likely going to return but not pleased at the shortened season. Don’t tv shows need to have a certain amount of episodes before they can be syndicated?

• xx says:

67 through the first three seaons + 10-ep final season =77. That doesn’t preclude syndication.

• Brandy says:

The Unit had 69 episodes,Flashpoint 75,Leverage 77,Til Death 81 and Community will have 79 at the end of the this season and Veronica Mars had 66 yet all are syndicated.

• David4 says:

Not in today’s age no. They also care more about having a complete story for DVD sales than three random seasons or syndication. Boston Legal went into syndication when they only had about 70 episodes and it wasn’t sure how long the 4th season would be or if there would be a 5th.

13. Georgia says:

I, too, would prefer to read text. No time to watch the videos. Maybe you could give us a choice? Thanks!

14. Lucy says:

Another season finale about Willicia. How fresh.

• nikki says:

Will is the more interesting choice? What do these people smoke? If they go the Willicia route, I am out. Talk about a boring, cliched “romance”.

• Lucy says:

Alicia ALONE. That would be “Interesting”. And Florrick&Agos Associates can be a good idea for season 5 (but only if Alicia is going to leave with Cary) but right now, in season 4, I’m bored. Because it seems that all the interesting things are postponed to season 5 while now we have to endure again the triangle, the campaign and the awfully off-screen Cary/Kalinda. IMO the finale should have been about the newly formed firm so writers could have shown us what they have in mind for season 5. Instead they’re just giving us the usual season finale cliff-anger about an Alicia’s choice and the same old things.

• JoyAnne says:

Im hoping Alicia gets back with Peter. I think her and Will together are boring. With Peter who knows what will happen next. Will he win that election ? If so, will he do a good job? More prospects of s/l’s than just sneaking around with Will.

15. WotV says:

Sounds like your readers would like to read. What do you think?

• mia says:

For actual scoop+news I prefer to read it, but I like watching for the banter and discussion, which is something that plays better out in a video format.
      So they should do both; post the actual scoop but do the video with the discussion.

• Dottie Blair says:

I’d rather read – and if TV doesn’t soon get better, I may have more time to do so!

16. D. says:

I agree with you Ausiello: Alison Bree was great on Mad Men and The Good Wife IS the best drama on air.

17. Saint Alicia says:

Megan has to go. Every woman on Mad Men is infinitely more interesting and engaging than her. Peggy, Betty, Joan, Trudy–I’d take more of any of them over Megan. Hannibal is awesome and amazing, ’nuff said. Co-sign with Aus about Alicia choosing Will, but for her to actually leave L/G at this point would be ridiculous. Do they give $600,000 refunds??
    Also, WTF is up with the perpetual shuffle of Cary between workplaces? Do the writers think that’s interesting storytelling? When brainstorming does someone say “I got it! Cary leaves his job–AGAIN” while everyone else cries “Brilliant!” Because it’s not. It’s weak and uninspired and a waste of a good character and please let season 5 be the last so I can stop giving a crap.

• Tania says:

How SELFISH are Saint Alicia and nikki. If you want to stop giving a crap, just STOP WATCHING. It’s very simple. There are those of us who would still like to watch this excellent series because we watch it through grown up eyes. Just sayin’.

• april-ann says:

I agree with you about Megan. Not meaning to offend Megan fans, but she seems there for only one reason now, and that is that Don is cheating. She has to be there because if she wasn’t, then technically Don would not be cheating, just Sylvia would be. So she’s kind of just being used as a prop. Unfortunately since she’s still there, it does seem to be taking valuable time away from the women we would love to see more of. I really think that’s why viewership is down this season; people expected to see Megan gone and she’s still there.

• april-ann says:

Forgot to add that when Megan got an infection after her “miscarriage” I thought they were going to kill off the character. And it dawned on me that if they did, it would make no difference to the show. She’s just not needed (other than to show that Don is cheating).

• Saint Alicia says:

Moreover (and I was trying to confine my criticism to just the character), Jessica Pare just isn’t a very good actress. Her facial gymnastics, especially when she’s trying to be emotional, are painful to watch. Her entire ~technique is just so awkward and unnatural whereas the other ladies on the show are effortlessly believable. Even Don’s latest mistress, who so far is unremarkable as a character, is an improvement over Megan because Linda Cardellini CAN act. Frankly I’d rather have her stick around just so Don can have a better scene partner.

• april-ann says:

Again, agreed. On a show where the acting is superb, any sub-par acting is all the more noticeable. And yes, although Sylvia is I think supposed to be more of a “nothing” character, unlikeable and just simply “there”, I actually like her because Linda Cardellini is blowing me away in every scene in which she appears. She is holding her own opposite Jon Hamm and then some. While Jessica Pare definitely has “the” look of the era, it’s not enough. Besides, Megan’s storyline ran its course last season (in my opinion) and is now redundant.

18. nikki says:

I also hope season 5 will be the last. With the crap they’re pulling they don’t deserve more than 100 episodes. 100 episodes are already too good for them. Be gone middle-age Dawson’s Creek

19. Leah says:

Yay, someone else loves The Good Wife as much as I do! I really want Florrick Agos & Assoc. too. I would definitely rather Alicia go with Will than Peter. It would be so good to see Will and Alicia really give it a shot, rather than see her be boring with Peter every four or five episodes. Now I gotta go watch Orphan Black, too.

• takakupo says:

No way! Peter may have done Alicia really wrong when we opened the series but he’s atoned like she’s said and he loves her. Will on the other hand is a womanizer and slimy business rat. I could never see Alicia being with Will for more than a year or two.

• nancydl says:

No! Will is bland and creepy; her husband, guv or not, is still kind of a snake. I’d like to see Alica as a single gal.

20. Thanks for the Nikita news. I hope it’s back even for a short season, just to wrap things up and have a proper, satisfying finale.

21. Kate says:

Nikita fans complaining about a shortened season should stop and be thankful THAT’S even happening.

22. Sarah j says:

Mike, you should have said Robin joins…”Matt Mitovich and me.” “I” is used improperly there.

• Danielle H. says:

Really? Lay off Aus. He works hard alll day chasing down scoop like a bloodhound. A small grammatical error is no cause for concern..

23. Isabel says:

Does this kinda confirm that Nikita is the (popular couple poised to breakup) blind item? One of the hints was that it was a show heading into what could be its final season. There were 9 couples from 7 shows (Once Upon A Time, Castle, The Good Wife, Bones, Grey’s Anatomy, Parenthood and Nikita). I only watch Castle out of all 7 and I know the cast and crew have mentioned 7 seasons on a few occasions, only mention I ever heard of 6 was when NF once was said “6 or 7″, so I’m pretty sure next season of Castle will be its penultimate season, not final. I don’t watch OUAT or TGW but I know many have said there is no way their next season will be their last. Not sure about the other shows but it just seems like Nikita currently fits the description best.

24. NO WAY. Nikita is doing great! Craig Silverstein is a genious man, the cast it’s beyond talented, the storyline for this third season is just amazing. The CW can’t just ruin a great show like that. They kept Supernatural running for years and it was a lame show. Give to Nikita a full season and move it to wednesday, I’m sure that the ratings will go up.

• Chris says:

Supernatural has far better ratings than Stinkita, though. And Supernatural used to air on Fridays (same night as Stinkita) and did way better than Stinkita has ever done on that same night.

25. James says:

NIKITA creator Craig Silverstein tweeted about these news he said : “where did they get that number from-first i heard of it.

I think if this report was true he would not reply like this to that question. It would make no sense to give Nikita a short season when it only need 21 episodes to get to 88 ep so it can be produced for stripped syndication. If the tvline report is true and i doubt it then the CW will go down in the history of the most stupid network ever. Not to mention there other shows not renewed is getting 0.4-0.6 there is NOWAY they could do better than Nikita on a friday.

26. Cyn says:

I have to admit, I used to like Mad Men but there is not a single person left on the screen, major or minor, that is relatable. I’m not saying I have no pity for any of them, but the rampant cheating and betrayal has sucked the interest out of the show for me. I wish they’d bring a little humanity back to the cast.

27. Leigh says:

I gave up on MAD MEN after last week’s episode. Don Draper is a d*(k and there’s nothing interesting about his life anymore. I need a shower after watching his…dealings.

28. Toni says:

Pick Will on The Good Wife – PLEASE.

29. tomincmh says:

So glad to see you talking about Orphan Black. It’s easily my favorite new show. Tatiana Maslany is a revelation.. She’s an amazingly talented actor.

30. Babygate says:

I love that Michael loves Orphan Black. This is one of my fave new shows. The lead actress is phenomenal. You seriously believe that is different actors playing all these roles. The accents are different, the personalities are different, the body language, it’s pretty freaking phenomenal what they are doing…

31. Jeri Lynn says:

First of all I wanna say, I am very thankful Nikita was picked up for another season. Especially since The CW is so axe happy ie. Ringer, The Secret Circle, Hellcats, Melrose Place, LA Complex just to name a few. And they were all good shows, esp Ringer and Secret Circle. So as a huge fan of Nikita I am very grateful. Ok, so that said, I have to say I am surprised to hear that it’s a shortened season. Given the fact that it’s so close to reaching that highly sought after syndication title, you’d think they’d give it a full season, just to get that. Look at Hawaii Five O on CBS, the ratings for it, flat out SUCK, but they are getting a whole season, just for syndication purposes, as with Blue Bloods(I love that show). Anyhow, so that’s why it confuses me. Either way, I am very pleased it’s coming back at all. I was checking it’s ratings the other day, and WOW! are they horrible or what? The majority of the episodes didn’t even bring in 1million viewers. And if they did, it was just barely over the 1 million mark. Which is very sad for me to see. Especially since I go on social media and blogs and there’s thousands of diehard Nikita fans. But where in the hell are they on Friday nights at 8p.m? Definitely aren’t watching Nikita:(

Sidenote: I agree with everyone else, I’d much rather have these posts be written and not be a video. I didn’t want to watch 10mins worth of garbage to hear that Nikita was picked up(so I didn’t, I skipped through it). However, it would be easier to skip through the things I do not care about, if it were written……..enough said.

32. Tony says:

What are you freaks talking about???? I skimmed thru the video fine and heard it loud and clear!
    Nikita is a great show! Great night and great time!

33. forum gta says:

Your method of telling all in this article is
    really good, every one be capable of simply know it,
    Thanks a lot.

34. Esos trucos que compartes me resultan muy validos. Claramente a el bookmarker.
    Felicidades y gracias.