Ratings: Idol Rises, Suburgatory Finale Down

Get More: Finales, News, Ratings

Ratings Suburgatory Season FinaleAmerican Idol was this quiet Wednesday’s lone gainer, inching up 2 percent and one tenth to 12.5 million total viewers and a 3.3 demo rating, easily topping the night on both counts.

RELATED | TVLine’s 2013 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled?

Over on ABC, Suburgatory’s one-hour season finale drew 5.4 mil and a 1.6, down two tenths from both its previous outing and its Season 1 finale, while How to Live With Your Parents… (6 mil/2.0) dropped some 20 percent week-to-week, leading out of a Modern Family repeat (6.4 mil/2.0) for the first time. That said: “100-percent retention!”

Survivor (9.8 mil/2.6) added a few eyeballs while flat in the demo.

RELATED | Save the Dates: Our Calendar of More Than 100 Season and Series Finales!

And… that’s all, folks!

Tags: ,

Comments (17)

• sucks for suburagtory but on other networks those wouldnt be bad#s. it was a darker episode so not everbody probable liked it.

Comment by ollie – April 18, 2013 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • prayers with you boston and west texas.

Comment by ollie – April 18, 2013 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Survivor was great yesterday.American idol had some moments too.

Comment by Shaun – April 18, 2013 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It is unfortunate reruns cause big breaks on scripted shows since it helps all these dumb reality shows with viewers. We need more first run episodes and hopefully actors will figure out that to work for a little less means they actually keep working

Comment by Boiler – April 18, 2013 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Suburgatory finale was really good. alot different then i thought it was gonna be that finally scene with dalia/george/the dog was great

Comment by ggny – April 18, 2013 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not totally surprised at the Suburgatory finale ratings… The show has taken an unexpectedly dark turn.

Comment by Babybop – April 18, 2013 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No joke. What the french has been going on? Did I miss some sort of key episode that lead up to the demise of George?

Comment by Carrie – April 18, 2013 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That last scene of Suburgatory was nice as a scene but in the big picture, unbelievable.

George should be more angry at Dalia after what happened with Tessa, and Dallas and George not doing anything about the whole Dalia thing as well, not great.
    Also, George knowing all Dalia did and basically saying to Tessa when said about them all moving in together, “Tough”. Not Good.

Other than that, the two episodes were really good, especially the big fight.

Comment by Martin – April 18, 2013 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We’ll know more about Suburgatory’s fate in a few weeks at Upfronts. The winner in these numbers last night – Neighbors. I think it is probably a toss-up between Suburgatory and Neighbors. I don’t think ABC can bring both back (unless they are seriously considering expanding their Friday night comedy lineup). It is one or the other, at best.
    A nice episode of Live w/Parents; considering repeats of Modern Family and Nashville, the numbers on Parents could have been worse – a good retention of MFamily audience. I’m still of the thinking Parents will be picked up for fall, with Suburgatory and Neighbors battling for final spot.
    I will say this – if (a big IF) ABC is confident with their comedy pilots [Pulling, Fun Night, Safe at Home, Bad Mgmt, Karey On], then all bets are off for comedy renewals. If ABC picks up four-six comedy pilots for fall, it may be over for quite a few current ABC comedies, including Suburgatory, Neighbors, Tools, HEndings [TBS], and even my favorite, Live w/Parents.
    ABC does have a pretty good list of pilots that might fit well with a ‘female-friendly’ audience this fall…even for us dull guys. I tend to like pilots that have both a good concept/storyline, and a good, solid cast. Karey On, Bad Mgmt and Safe at Home fit those categories. Again, ABC isn’t programming for us guys, so they’ll lose me on the other two comedies, but that’s fine. Me personally, and I’m apologizing in advance for being so blunt, but I cannot, and I will not, watch Pulling under any circumstances – that cast [what?, no Amy Ryan or Anne Heche?] – I’m sorry, I just can’t watch. I almost stopped watching 30 Rock last season. I can’t take it – finger nails on the blackboard.

Comment by Nero theTVFiddler – April 18, 2013 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ABC messed me up on the time switch. They have been play Suburgatory after Moderan Family all year then they moved before Modern Family towards the end. I forgot when it was actually on and caught the ending. I had to wait until this morning to catch up on my sister’s DVR. Has this happened to anyone else?

I still don’t get why Dalia is horrible to Tessa and George sucks for not being on his daughter’s side. George Altman let me down. That town has dumbed him down. I was actually on his side when it came down to Tessa choosing him over her mom. Now… I think that it would be better if she tried to stay with her mom.

Comment by Heather – April 18, 2013 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know why n etworks always mess with the times of shows. Then I don’t know when they are on, and I forget to watch them. Fortunately, nothing else was on last night so I didn’t miss it. They really need to start taking DVR and On Demand into account more if they are going to keep moving things around.

Comment by KSM – April 18, 2013 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Suburgatory was more dramatic than comedic last night, but it was still good. The Tessa/Dalia fight was hilarious! But then it just got kind of dark, when the show is usually really wacky. They must be building toward a George/Alex reunion for them to throw away the relationship with Dallas like that.

Comment by Mikael – April 18, 2013 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not bad for that Modern Family repeat.

Comment by Leondre – April 18, 2013 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just don’t get what Dallas was tripping off of. George was doing everything in his power to make her happy even to the detriment to his daughter, yet it wasn’t enough.

Comment by tp – April 18, 2013 10:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Suburgatory has taken a really weird turn lately, but that doesn’t make me love it any less. That finale almost had me crying, I felt so bad for Tessa and was mad at George until that ending (when will they release a full version of the theme song??).
    They can’t cancel it – I need to know that things are fixed between Tessa & George. And they need to explain to us what the hell is going on with Dalia… she’s acting rather creepy lately :/

Comment by airhead – April 19, 2013 12:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was really surprised at how George was completely uninterested in what Dalia did to Tessa. What Dalia did was pure, premeditated evil that to me is unforgivable. If Tessa had told someone about her hooking up with Jenna, then fine, but seriously, how does she screw up so bad and there is no one to parent her about it? Poor Tessa…and George just flushed all those years of single (and good) parenting down the toilet. How do you forgive your father after something like that?

Comment by zizek – April 19, 2013 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post