Ratings: Idol Rises, Suburgatory Finale Down

Ratings Suburgatory Season FinaleAmerican Idol was this quiet Wednesday’s lone gainer, inching up 2 percent and one tenth to 12.5 million total viewers and a 3.3 demo rating, easily topping the night on both counts.

RELATED | TVLine’s 2013 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled?

Over on ABC, Suburgatory’s one-hour season finale drew 5.4 mil and a 1.6, down two tenths from both its previous outing and its Season 1 finale, while How to Live With Your Parents… (6 mil/2.0) dropped some 20 percent week-to-week, leading out of a Modern Family repeat (6.4 mil/2.0) for the first time. That said: “100-percent retention!”

Survivor (9.8 mil/2.6) added a few eyeballs while flat in the demo.

RELATED | Save the Dates: Our Calendar of More Than 100 Season and Series Finales!

And… that’s all, folks!

1. ollie says:

sucks for suburagtory but on other networks those wouldnt be bad#s. it was a darker episode so not everbody probable liked it.

2. Shaun says:

Survivor was great yesterday.American idol had some moments too.

3. Boiler says:

It is unfortunate reruns cause big breaks on scripted shows since it helps all these dumb reality shows with viewers. We need more first run episodes and hopefully actors will figure out that to work for a little less means they actually keep working

4. ggny says:

The Suburgatory finale was really good. alot different then i thought it was gonna be that finally scene with dalia/george/the dog was great

5. Babybop says:

Not totally surprised at the Suburgatory finale ratings… The show has taken an unexpectedly dark turn.

• Carrie says:

No joke. What the french has been going on? Did I miss some sort of key episode that lead up to the demise of George?

6. Martin says:

That last scene of Suburgatory was nice as a scene but in the big picture, unbelievable.

George should be more angry at Dalia after what happened with Tessa, and Dallas and George not doing anything about the whole Dalia thing as well, not great.
    Also, George knowing all Dalia did and basically saying to Tessa when said about them all moving in together, “Tough”. Not Good.

Other than that, the two episodes were really good, especially the big fight.

7. Nero theTVFiddler says:

We’ll know more about Suburgatory’s fate in a few weeks at Upfronts. The winner in these numbers last night – Neighbors. I think it is probably a toss-up between Suburgatory and Neighbors. I don’t think ABC can bring both back (unless they are seriously considering expanding their Friday night comedy lineup). It is one or the other, at best.
    A nice episode of Live w/Parents; considering repeats of Modern Family and Nashville, the numbers on Parents could have been worse – a good retention of MFamily audience. I’m still of the thinking Parents will be picked up for fall, with Suburgatory and Neighbors battling for final spot.
    I will say this – if (a big IF) ABC is confident with their comedy pilots [Pulling, Fun Night, Safe at Home, Bad Mgmt, Karey On], then all bets are off for comedy renewals. If ABC picks up four-six comedy pilots for fall, it may be over for quite a few current ABC comedies, including Suburgatory, Neighbors, Tools, HEndings [TBS], and even my favorite, Live w/Parents.
    ABC does have a pretty good list of pilots that might fit well with a ‘female-friendly’ audience this fall…even for us dull guys. I tend to like pilots that have both a good concept/storyline, and a good, solid cast. Karey On, Bad Mgmt and Safe at Home fit those categories. Again, ABC isn’t programming for us guys, so they’ll lose me on the other two comedies, but that’s fine. Me personally, and I’m apologizing in advance for being so blunt, but I cannot, and I will not, watch Pulling under any circumstances – that cast [what?, no Amy Ryan or Anne Heche?] – I’m sorry, I just can’t watch. I almost stopped watching 30 Rock last season. I can’t take it – finger nails on the blackboard.

8. Heather says:

ABC messed me up on the time switch. They have been play Suburgatory after Moderan Family all year then they moved before Modern Family towards the end. I forgot when it was actually on and caught the ending. I had to wait until this morning to catch up on my sister’s DVR. Has this happened to anyone else?

I still don’t get why Dalia is horrible to Tessa and George sucks for not being on his daughter’s side. George Altman let me down. That town has dumbed him down. I was actually on his side when it came down to Tessa choosing him over her mom. Now… I think that it would be better if she tried to stay with her mom.

9. KSM says:

I don’t know why n etworks always mess with the times of shows. Then I don’t know when they are on, and I forget to watch them. Fortunately, nothing else was on last night so I didn’t miss it. They really need to start taking DVR and On Demand into account more if they are going to keep moving things around.

10. Mikael says:

Suburgatory was more dramatic than comedic last night, but it was still good. The Tessa/Dalia fight was hilarious! But then it just got kind of dark, when the show is usually really wacky. They must be building toward a George/Alex reunion for them to throw away the relationship with Dallas like that.

11. Leondre says:

Not bad for that Modern Family repeat.

12. tp says:

I just don’t get what Dallas was tripping off of. George was doing everything in his power to make her happy even to the detriment to his daughter, yet it wasn’t enough.

13. airhead says:

Suburgatory has taken a really weird turn lately, but that doesn’t make me love it any less. That finale almost had me crying, I felt so bad for Tessa and was mad at George until that ending (when will they release a full version of the theme song??).
    They can’t cancel it – I need to know that things are fixed between Tessa & George. And they need to explain to us what the hell is going on with Dalia… she’s acting rather creepy lately :/

14. zizek says:

I was really surprised at how George was completely uninterested in what Dalia did to Tessa. What Dalia did was pure, premeditated evil that to me is unforgivable. If Tessa had told someone about her hooking up with Jenna, then fine, but seriously, how does she screw up so bad and there is no one to parent her about it? Poor Tessa…and George just flushed all those years of single (and good) parenting down the toilet. How do you forgive your father after something like that?