Dexter's Done: Showtime Confirms Season 8 Will Be Long-Running Drama's Last

Dexter Final SeasonIt’s official: Dexter‘s upcoming eighth season will be its last.

Showtime made the announcement Thursday on the series’ Facebook page. The network also gave viewers a taste of the farewell season — which premieres June 30 — via the following clip.

RELATED | Dexter Season 8 Spoilers — Yvonne Strahovski Returns as Hannah

Press PLAY below and then hit the comments with answers to the following questions: Is eight enough? Was Showtime smart to end it now? What are your hopes for the final season?

1. They’ve announced this would be the final season about 10 times in the last 2 years. We get it. My only question is, is this the final season??

2. Tom says:

I’m glad they’re not going to drag it out but sad at the same time it’s all going to be over. Can’t wait for the premiere.

3. Jared says:

This news is so bittersweet! I came across Dexter on my Netflix 6 years ago and wondered what it was, and after the first episode I knew I was hooked. 7 seasons later it is still my favorite. I will miss it, but am so happy we will get a “proper” farewell season to wrap up this groundbreaking show. RIP Dexter!

• Nat says:

I second this wholeheartedly! Watched seasons 1-3 in marathon and then watched weekly from season 4. Such a great series that I’m sure will go out with a bang.

4. Teag says:

Will miss this show. Been a GREAT run.

5. Superhero says:

FINALLY. GAWD.

6. Happy they’re ending it, the last couple of seasons were a bit tedious. I hope they can give us a great season to close off with though.

7. dean says:

Now we’re going to have to deal with lame serial killer themed shows like the following.

• Brooke says:

Or you could just…not watch? I “deal with” shows I don’t like by changing the channel.

• Jason says:

Wait…you can just change the channel instead of whining about shows you don’t like? There’s a lot of people who should out how that works.

8. Brooke says:

Best to go out strong. I’m sure the temptation was there to keep it going since its ratings have only increased over the years, but that doesn’t mean that the show’s writers have the stories to keep it going. Luckily, even Dexter’s weaker seasons have been far beyond the quality of a lot of network TV, so they’ll be able to close the door on the show knowing they’ve left us with 8 solid seasons.

9. Peter says:

Jumped the shark after season 4. 5 was terrible, 6 a minor comeback, 7 so-so. Im sad to see it end, but also glad to see it end.

10. kelsey says:

*sigh* I will miss the show, but there is a natural end to everything. And for Dexter, it’s time. I hope Jennifer Carpenter finds another project quickly.

11. Patrick Maloney says:

Two more seasons and a movie!

12. scg10 says:

I love how so openly characters talk about things… in the middle of store, on the street, in restaurants, anywhere where any random person can hear. lol Not just this show, every show.

13. SWOTD says:

It will be a sad day!

14. Thank you, Showtime. You made me very happy. :-)

15. Jared says:

I just started to watch Dexter and watched all the seasons in marathon form. Such a great series that I’m glad I gave a chance. This final season looks great but I hope it doesn’t end with Dexter going to jail. That would be sad,even if he is a serial killer.

16. Ashley says:

I was kind of hoping they were being vague so we didn’t go into the season eight finale expecting a resolution, and just have it thrown at us,

17. Shannon says:

My question would if he does get caught, go to trial would he actually be convicted? He only kills others killers/ bad people especially when the courts cannot do it themselves. I love the show. I found it interesting though that doakes/laguartia were the 2 black characters and the only characters to actually deduce dexter was a serial killer while all others have been close, but stopped before the finger was pointed. Still love the show though.

• Jamie says:

He’ll be killed or he’ll flee the country, I don’t see him ending up in prison or death row. I think a trial would be great though, but I think the arrest and subsequent trial would eat up too much time/too many episodes, he’d have to be arrested halfway through the season for them to do it justice. It would be a brave decision, but I think the opening two options are more likely.

• A says:

Laguerta is latina not black!

18. I think this is definitely the right call. Season 7 showed improvement and I think it can achieve the quality of the earlier seasons if they just used this year as a final chapter rather than stretching it out. This scene has me really excited for this season

19. Abby says:

I think it’s time. Plus, I think they have a lot of incredibly dramatic things going on to be able to go out with a bang – something to rival the season four finale, I hope.

20. Brian says:

If this first look is a dream sequence ill be pissed. They need to go down this route. Show the Morgan siblings at odd. Not some cop out where dexter wakes up after this and it’s all sunshine and smiles. I want dark, gritty, f’d-upness for Season Eight. Not with a whimper but a bang.

21. Auntie Ralph says:

Given the events of last season, yeah, it seems to be about time. I mean the side characters are starting to get signs of, or blatant, wrap-up. Hard to hell what else they can do, really. Hell season 6 when the Deb being in love with Dexter subplot showed up I was like, “Well, they’re out of ideas.” I even kind of liked Season 7 until I realized that one of the main ongoing plots was effectively a waste of time.

22. Kevin H. says:

Can Jennifer Carpenter please get her Emmy/Golden Globe now? If this clip is any indication, she’s definitely bringing her A game for the final season.

23. Fernanda says:

I hope the final season is not the end of Dexter. I would love the finale if Dexter could get away with it. Why not? Or maybe an open ending like The Sopranos.
    But what’s next? Dexter the movie?

24. viola says:

It’ s okay, even beautiful things comes to an end :( i hope the finale will be epic

25. Vetle says:

I will most likely cry during the last episode (which rarely happens to me while watching TV). It’s my very favorite TV show since Six Feet Under (funny how Michael C Hall stars in both). I think it’s the right decision to end it after this season though… but… SO SAD. :(

26. Sheri Brown says:

I have enjoyed Dexter ever since the first episode! I will miss it so much–as there is NOTHING on that could take it’s place! Thank you, Michael C. Hall, Jennifer Carpenter and the brilliant cast for 8 great years of Dexter!!

27. Lillian Waite says:

We love Dexter, great show, great cast, as far as we are concerned, it should not be ending!!! We were really upset to read this was the last season.

28. mark c says:

I will surely miss Dexter I love this show . There’s nothing that can replace it. Therefore Dexter keep living brother.

29. gymluv says:

My name is Anne and I am a dexter-holic. My husband is also addicted. Damn Netflix is keeping me up too late! All we can get is the show up until the end of season 6. I am dying now because I do not know how to get season 7! How dare they torture me…leaving me hanging when Deb walks in as Dexter is killing in the church! Dexter’s last sentence was ‘oh God’ and now I am saying the same thing! How do I see season 7???

30. Jennifer Jones says:

Dexter should not be canceled that is the most popular series on t.v.. including HBO’s True blood…right when a show starts to pick up with the hype and excitement and bring in the characters that have been involved the whole time, why end it. The whole challenge is giving your viewers the next challenge for Dexter. I am a true fan of Dexter it’s the best thing to ever hit T.V. and the only thing,in my opinion, that you can do to improve it right now it to NOT END IT! OMG

31. Mak says:

Show should have ended with him holding his son in his arms, his wife dead, standing in a pool of her blood, AFTER coming to terms with his past, who he was, and finding a future. It was Shakespeare at his finest, and would have made Dexter a classic. Everything after has been retread, and a total repudiation of the show, Dexter, and the best character on it, his sister.

32. Why did Dexter have to end?Was it the actors choice,Showtime’s or one of those”we want to leave while we’re on top” type thing?I’d like to see it continue as long as the writers came up with compelling story lines.Why did it have to end?Anybody know the real reason?

33. Mike Hood says:

Shame really. “Dexter” has been one of the few good series on tv over the last few years. Unlike other reviewers, I haven’t noticed a quality droop towards the end. But please, we don’t want a Dexter movie… this sort of story works best in a television format. It doesn’t need Hollywood big bucks to make it work, it needs slow steady character development.

34. becca says:

I hope that Dexter does not end in jail, he means well and only goes after the killer, and he has a kid that needs him. I just hope he does not get found out or anything, & that Deb tells him what she’s been hiding, I want to see what his face would be like and I would be sad to see the season end.

35. Evan says:

Cancelling Dexter…As usual…Shame on them….and Showtime…good bye Showtime…..Don’t need you anymore….and If Charlotte Rampling has any open appt’s…(Dr Vogel)..I love to see her!!!!!

36. Danny Huntley, MD says:

It is hard to believe that one of the best series on TV cannot continue this marvelous story line. Dexter is going to mentor his protege, this new kid that Dr. Vogel wanted Dexter to in fact do this as he did not have a father like Dexter (and Dr. Vogel) to teach “the code”. Dexter could rest on his laurels and continue to raise his son as he does have that slim part of his non-psychopathic being…but there could even be some twist with his own son.

But I cannot believe the infantile, shallow reponses on her arguing points of race, etc….very very sad. Is not anyone outraged that this is the end of Dexter? This should be the main chorus. For he will mentor this new kid that Vogel has identified and needs Dexter to guide his urges to good (i.e. the scum that Dexter gets rid of)….and maybe the blonde that drugged Deb and Dexter at the end of this last episode will, after all, be Dexter’s true match if she redeems herself….should be interesing…..but the point is that Dexter could go another season and STILL “quit while it is ahead!”

37. phil says:

sad to see it end.

38. Claudia says:

Noooooooooooo!!! I need a fix of Dexter keep this series going please it’s my addiction !!!!! SERIOUSLY

39. Katie says:

8 seasons is not enough. I think there could be quite a few more good ones. Definitely should consider making a season 9. Dexter got me hooked. I think a lot if other people would agree.