The Office Mystery: Is Steve Carell Returning for the Series Finale After All?

Get More: Casting News, Exclusive

Steve Carell Returning Office Series FinaleIs Michael Scott pulling a fast one on us?

Despite declarations from NBC, Office producers and Steve Carell himself that the NBC comedy’s May 16 series finale would be Scott-free, increasing buzz suggests the Dunder Mifflin legend may turn up after all.

VIDEO | The Office Exclusive: Relive Some of of Dunder Mifflin’s Best Top-Secret Moments

Insiders tell TVLine that producers mounted an 11th hour effort last month to coax Carell into making a cameo in the show’s hour-long swan song. And while no one is confirming that the final diplomatic push proved successful, no one is denying it either.

Well, no one save for Carell’s personal rep, who tells TVLine that while his client was on set for the final episode, he did not, in fact, shoot any scenes.

On the flipside, a source close to the show cryptically teases, “Don’t rule anything out.” An NBC spokesperson, meanwhile, declined to comment.

For his part, executive producer Greg Daniels — who back in January told reporters that there aren’t “any plans for him to come back” — now appears to be taking a silence is golden stance. When TVLine approached him for comment last week, he side-stepped the question, preferring to follow NBC’s “super mysterious” lead by staying mum.

RELATED | May Sweeps Scorecard: Find Out Who’s Dying, Who’s Getting Hitched, Who’s Breaking Up and More!

Earlier this year, Carell shot down comeback reports when he told Access Hollywood, “I just didn’t think it was right for the character, because that character had had an arc within the story and kind of grew and sort of evolved past the idea of the documentary. I’m really good friends with everybody on the cast and with [executive producer] Greg Daniels and I want to go back to say, ‘Hi,’ certainly, before it all ends. but I just thought, in terms of the character, it didn’t make sense.”

Thoughts? Are you of the opinion that the Office finale would not be complete without a visit from M.S.?

Comments (58)

• I knew he’d return for a second long cameo. This doesn’t confirm it, but it helps.

Comment by Teag – April 17, 2013 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t mind him *not* returning for the last episode… I get his reasoning (his exit was pretty darn perfect). What I’d love to see is a little nod — i.e. a wedding announcement, birth announcement, etc. Just something quick that acknowledges that Michael ( & Holly) are indeed happy.

Comment by JOS – April 17, 2013 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah I’d love to see him back, but I will live with SOME form of update of what he and Holly are up to. I continue to fail to understand why it’s apparently so wrong for us to want that

Comment by Tom Charles – April 17, 2013 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • My thoughts exactly.

Comment by Sarah – April 17, 2013 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t think there is anything wrong with wanting that. My issue with it is it you do an update, how do you do it naturally?

Jim: Hey has anyone heard from Michael Scott?
        Dwight: Yes! Just this week, Holly’s pregnant!

I don’t want them to sacrifice one of the best moments in the show of the last 6 years just for a one off joke or comment to please the fans.

Comment by josh – April 17, 2013 04:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I mean, I think we can all assume that, given Michael’s love for the office, they have kept in touch. It could be as simple as them all receiving invitations to a wedding, and it being super offensive, or something as simple as that. I don’t think that would be unnatural in ANY way.

Comment by ER – April 17, 2013 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Series finale: Pam, at the end of her indecisive rope, goes to see Michael in CO to (strangely, but understandably) ask his advice, finds that he’s learned to start his life over and that sometimes you have to take risks to live your life the way you want to. This can be the only satisfying ending, given how sappy and saccharin the last five seasons have been.

Comment by dgkjb@sdgkjb.com – April 19, 2013 03:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That is exactly what I came here to post!

Comment by Aprilcot – April 17, 2013 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes. We NEED some kind of update on Michael and Holly.

Comment by LaurenMC – April 18, 2013 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • that was his big break through hee should be there the shows ben dead for two years he should go down with them

Comment by John Moshier – April 17, 2013 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Daily Show was his big breakthrough.

Comment by TV Gord – April 18, 2013 09:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah, I’d say the odds are growing for a quick talking head or one-shot cameo…which is just right to me.

Comment by J – April 17, 2013 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Steve certainly doesn’t deserve being on the show that The Office has become.

Comment by whatevs – April 17, 2013 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What the hell are you talking about? The show hasn’t been this good since Season 5.

People need to stop riding the “No Michael Scott, no watch” bandwagon.

Comment by No – April 17, 2013 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Totally with you on this!

Comment by PM – April 17, 2013 11:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Amen. Exactly.

Comment by coolio – April 18, 2013 04:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it was kind of a dick move to decline it in the first place. I honestly wouldn’t want much, just like a minute follow up showing him and Holly married with a kid. Just to get that final closure.

Comment by Elly – April 17, 2013 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This reminds me of Clooney’s cameo on the ER finale!

Comment by SB – April 17, 2013 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Clooney didn’t come back for the ER finale. It was several episodes before.

Comment by coolio – April 18, 2013 04:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While this makes me happy, so sad that Ausiello said “On the flip side” instead of “On the flippity-flip”!

Comment by B – April 17, 2013 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I had pretty much given up hope. This is nice to hear :)

Comment by Sarah – April 17, 2013 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The documentary airing is actually the perfect excuse for a Michael cameo. Plus, Michael was close with these people for a long and they’ve barely mentioned him the last two years. It would make more sense for him to show up than it does for him to not show up.

Comment by a – April 17, 2013 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly. It makes perfect sense for him to pop in for the finale. At this point I don’t really care though. It’s been a bit of a dick move on Carell’s part to be so adament about not coming back. This show gave him the exposure and level of fame he now has, seems a little sad that he can’t be bothered to do a cameo in the finale. It’s very evident that the majority of fans would love to have him back, so why not? Perhaps he will and I will have to bite my tongue, but I certainly won’t hold my breath.

Comment by tripoli – April 17, 2013 05:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m guessing he changed his mind after the box office for Burt Wonderstone came in.

Comment by Ettie – April 17, 2013 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s exactly it Ettie. His box office rep is not good at the moment and this will raise his profile. I expect he’ll be in the episode so people are talking about him returning when the series ends.

Comment by Joe – April 17, 2013 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It won’t bother me if Carrell doesn’t come back, but it could lighten the mode. Of course, The Office being the office, they could have some previously unseen documentary footage that pops up, like something about how much he loves Jim and Pam that encourages them to stay together. They may even have shot something back when Carrelll was on the show to use in the finale.

Comment by Derek Johnson – April 17, 2013 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Exactly as someone said earlier: he doesn’t necessarily need to totally come back, but just a reference that he’s doing all right would be greatly appreciated.

Comment by Spencer – April 17, 2013 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mark my words. It’s gonna end with him and Holly in bed watching the documentary with a baby crying in the background.

Comment by anon – April 17, 2013 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My thoughts exactly.

Comment by Sg. Grant – April 17, 2013 07:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really Steve “it didn’t seem right for the character”? Do you even remember the character that made you famous? He loved being on camera and loved his employees/family. It wouldn’t seem right if he didn’t pop up for at least 2 minutes so you can see where him and Holly are at in their life.

Comment by Locke – April 17, 2013 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it should be revealed that Michael was the Scranton Strangler!!

Comment by Jason – April 17, 2013 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That woud be epic, except that hes supposed to be in Denver, right?

Comment by brutony – April 17, 2013 04:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • …..or that he is behind the whole “documentary”.

Comment by april-ann – April 17, 2013 09:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would even enjoy a phone call with Steve’s voice, I just feel he needs to be a part if the finale, since he was such an integral part if the show for 7 years.

Comment by Mike – April 17, 2013 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i want him back but want to be surprised lets not spoil it one way or another

Comment by dude – April 17, 2013 06:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You are browsing the wrong website.

Comment by Sg. Grant – April 17, 2013 07:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • LOL! Best comment here ever.

Comment by april-ann – April 17, 2013 09:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Office hasn’t been the same since Michael left. Even a 30-second cameo would breathe so much life into the finale and make me feel like keeping up with the show since Steve left wasn’t a total waste. At this point, I’d even settle for a mention of Michael. Seeing clips of him in ‘Promos’ was the highlight of the past two seasons for me.

Comment by Johnica – April 17, 2013 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it would be great if Michael came back in a cameo role–specifically, to act as an impromptu marriage counselor for Jim and Pam, saving their marriage in the process.

Comment by J – April 17, 2013 10:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by dgkjb@sdgkjb.com – April 19, 2013 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would like to see Michael Scott return as office manager, bringing together the entire original cast. I think him returning would make Jim and Pam stay as well. This would be a great ending to the show.

Comment by Mike – April 17, 2013 11:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He owes it to the people on that show who helped make him a star.

Comment by Matt – April 18, 2013 06:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just like most shows, Girl Meets World, people normally don’t just show up and set and not tape a 3 second thing.

Comment by David4 – April 18, 2013 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Don’t rule anything out” doesn’t mean anything to me. It could be a ploy for those who stopped watching after Carrel left to see if he goes on which is the worst pr tactic ever.

Comment by Amelia – April 18, 2013 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t see why he wouldn’t want to come back for one final episode. He was part of the show for over 7 years, you think he would be humbled to come back and work with everyone one last time. Also, It’s a little weird that there hasn’t been a mention of a wedding or invitations being sent out, it doesn’t matter if he lives in Colorado now I think everyone would have at least gotten an invite. It would be fitting if his wedding was the finale.

Comment by justanotherfan – April 18, 2013 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Carell absolutely should come back, no doubt. However, I desperately do not want him to overshadow the rest of the cast (who are now getting their send offs; the show should be about them), undo anything relating to his departure, or have the character take a step back after having evolved as a person a bit (for ex. replacing Andy as manager).

Comment by coolio – April 18, 2013 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Since Michael has left, they have mentioned him once, twice at the most. (Which seems odd and unrealistic in itself) The scene of him in the promo has honestly been the best moment for me for the past 2 seasons. With that being said, yeah, the show has sucked hard without him. I would absolutely love to see him make a physical appearance and to see him stroll into the office alongside with Holly and a baby (or belly). If not, a phone call or some sort of announcement would be nice too. And if somehow the show decides to continue not really mentioning Michael, I’ll probably throw my TV out the window.

Comment by Chelsea – April 18, 2013 10:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ok….Firstly I don’t think Holly and him would have a child, maybe adopt. Because Jan made Micheal have an operation. Secoundly I think if Andy leaves for an acting career Nellie would replace him and make Dwight assistant manager. As for Andy and Erin I honestly don’t know because in they haven’t showed much between her and Pete. Lastly,What the heck happened to Gabe!

Comment by Jonas – April 20, 2013 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • you can get your vasectomy reversed – and Michael would have, considering how much he wanted a kid. I could also see him adopting, but a biological child isn’t out of the question. And, adopting a kid is still “having a kid”.

Comment by ER – April 20, 2013 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael is going to return. He’ll replace Andy as Regional Manager. He & Holly will be married w/ an adopted daughter from China named Fat Kow.

Comment by Mike North – April 20, 2013 04:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The finale apparently takes place months after the airing of the documentary and at a wedding! Maybe it’s Michael Scott and Holly’s wedding?

Comment by Clyde Morris – April 28, 2013 04:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know it sounds totally cheesy, but I envision it ending with the credits of the documentary rolling then the camera panning out so that you see it’s being watched on a tv (or computer screen whatever) and once the scene finishes panning out you see it’s Michael and Holly sitting on the couch watching. She gets up and says she’s going to bed, as she’s going upstairs she asks Michael if he’s coming, and he says “yeah I’ll be up in a minute” and he just sits there for a moment with kind of reflective smile on his face, turns the tv off, heads up the stairs, and turns out the light. Totally cheesy and never gonna happen but this is my perfect ending for me.

Comment by Amy – April 30, 2013 08:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael was the best part of the show and I hope they pay homage to him somehow

Comment by Me – April 30, 2013 08:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i hope Michael Scott bust through the front door of dunder mifflin in the last few seconds of the final episode looking like a mountain man, with everyone staring at him. looking like he has lived in the wilderness for all this time, the series should end with every character looking dumbfounded at his odd appearance and re-emergence after all this time and creed should just walk in and say “oh, hey Michael” like no big deal.

Comment by Meg – May 2, 2013 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder if it will be revealed that Toby is the “Scranton Strangler?”

Comment by Bill W. – May 6, 2013 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The final episode was a mess. It was like ideas were put in a hat and just pulled out and strung together. Not very happy with it. Very predictable. The pre-show was better than the actual episode. The last season should’ve been used to wrap ends up,not a single episode. Yes, Steve Carell was back but said about 1 sentence.

Comment by Stoney Brookes – May 17, 2013 03:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post