Starz Renews Da Vinci's Demons for Season 2

Get More: News, Renewals

Da Vinci's Demons Renewed Season 2Just days after its Starz premiere, Da Vinci’s Demons has been renewed for Season 2, the network announced Wednesday.

As series creator David S. Goyer (Batman Begins, Man of Steel) previously shared with TVLine, with renewal comes the chance to lay first eyes on Leonardo’s most famous work. “We could see The Mona Lisa as soon as second season, if we go a second session,” he said. Even though that portrait wouldn’t be painted for quite some time given the series’ 1477 setting, “I’m a big fan of nonlinear storytelling,” he noted.

RELATED | Ratings for Da Vinci’s Demons Premiere, Spartacus Series Finale

More than 2.14 million total viewers sampled Da Vinci’s Demons during its premiere weekend, making it the highest-rated launch ever for an original Starz series.

“I’m excited that we get to continue the adventures of the world’s most eccentric and glorious polymath,” Goyer said in a statement. “Long live Leonardo and thanks to Starz for helping to make it happen.”

RELATED | Da Vinci’s Demons: 5 Things to Know — Including Batman‘s DNA, Mona Lisa‘s Cameo

Production on Season 2 expected to begin in Wales in May 2013, with an eye on a 2014 premiere. Season 1 is currently airing Fridays at 9/8c.

Comments (23)

• Good for its fans but I was underwhelmed. Everybody BUT Leonardo seemed gay. But quantity =/= quality. I would prefer one wonderful gay couple like Agron/Nasir in Spartacus than this almost gay pr0n – yes, it felt just as sleazy.

Comment by Kati (@timotey) – April 17, 2013 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s laughable that they’ve renewed the show based on the premiere ratings. Of course more people are going to tune in to see how the show is for the very first episode, but I’m predicting there’s going to be a major drop off as the season continues. What people actually thought of the premiere would go against those numbers, and it sets itself as a show too fully in the premiere for me to believe there’s some way it gets better. What a rash decision, Starz. You’ll see.

Comment by Ian – April 17, 2013 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wouldn’t surprise me that there was some clause in Goyer’s contract that if the Pilot got over x number of viewers it would be renewed with him being sort of an A-list blockbuster writer.

Comment by Cody – April 17, 2013 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe they were obligated to renew it by contracts? The same thing happened with Syfy and Stargate: Universe. They were obligated to give it a 2nd season if certain level of ratings was achieved. The fact that it dropped like a stone right afterwards, with them losing tons of money on it? Eh, better contract next time.

Comment by Kati (@timotey) – April 17, 2013 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Is the general consensus that it was bad because almost every review and poll I’ve seen has been generally positive?

I enjoyed the interactions between Leo and his couple friends. I think the overarching plots seem interesting. It was almost like what I imagine an Assassin’s Creed II movie will feel like, setting-wise.

Comment by Zayne – April 17, 2013 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Its a cerebral show so the low brows who tuned in to it only cause it was on after Spartacus are trashing it as “awful” because they don’t grasp the non linear storytelling & polysyllabic writing.

Comment by Christina Sherwood – April 17, 2013 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Just because people don’t like something you like doesn’t make them knuckle-dragging cavemen, and implying that people who watch Spartacus (a show that once it embraced its shoestring budget and dug in its heels became a critical gem with an avid fan base) are “lowbrows” doesn’t do anything for your point. I thought Da Vinci’s plot was all over the place, but I’ve got hope for the rest of the season; it’s not uncommon for a show’s first episode to be its worst.

In fact, here’s a quote from the AV Club who think it could be so lucky to mirror Spartacus: “There’s a decent show deep in the mire that is Da Vinci’s Demons, and if there’s anything positive to say, it’s that Spartacus was pretty much horrible through its first four installments and turned into one of the best shows of this past half-decade.”

Comment by ec – April 18, 2013 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • most of the negative reviews i saw complained because it wasn’t how Leo is known to really be. i just look at it as a fun show that’s not to be talked about in a serious tone

Comment by meatwad – April 17, 2013 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think people forget that Starz doesn’t function like other networks. Remember, they were the ones that renewed Magic City and Boss ahead of their SERIES PREMIERES. I’m amazed they waited for the first episode to air. But granted, I read an interview with Chris Alberht (Starz’s CEO) and he was talking about them already working on season 2 and that was back in March. So basically, I believe the moral of the story here is that if you get a show to air on Starz nowadays — you’re guaranteed a second season.

Comment by Mac – April 17, 2013 05:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • STARZ cancelled boss but RENEWED SOME CRAP….

jesus…

Comment by Mana – April 18, 2013 04:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • After watching the first episode of the series said, well I do not see anything new, but reading a blog that I realized my mistake so great to see and I think I understand everything, then argue that in the scene where the friend of Davinci teaches tarot and you know its name (Zoroaster) and the background is the turko give us the best track in the book of the leaves as the religion of Zoroaster is related turko and Zoroastrianism Zoroastrianism or (the statue that of a man-headed winged lion and a snake around is Angra Mainyu, a deity of the religion), other than that the book raises leaf refers to tarot, which resembles a book leafless, and whether were loose and disorderly book leaves, waiting to be assembled correctly, and mentioned a book that leaves the key or a kind of manual to arm called ALVATARON (espanish only), which I found on the net and I am about to read. We propose this book as the leaves may be related to the Sefer Adam, the book of Thoth, Solomon’s table, which is actually not even investigare as anything from them, but suggests that they are different titles for the same hidden secret, wanted by all philosophical or religious, since apparently they can be found in the secret name of God.

Comment by liz – April 19, 2013 12:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Your comment is a complete grammatical/Linguistic disaster.
      I usually don’t hate, but I couldn’t understand a word.

Comment by Bilal – April 20, 2013 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • LOL.
        @Bilal …good one

Comment by Pinky – June 7, 2013 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • WTF?

Comment by Nancy westwood – April 25, 2013 06:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Excellent Research! Thanks, I was looking for the identity of the statue.

Comment by truehawk – May 12, 2013 10:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Personally, I tried to watch it a few times and I was so bored out of my mind. Boss, which was a terrific show with outstanding acting, was cancelled and this goes on?

Comment by lucy – June 7, 2013 07:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Like Liz, I went to the internet to research after the first Demon’s show. How many TV shows are out there that have you interested enough–questioning things enough–to go researching the net? I found the show campy, fun, engaging–and I’m still going to the internet to research! Looking forward to more stimulation in Season 2!!!
    Comment by K–June 7, 2013 2:23 p.m.

Comment by K – June 8, 2013 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show is excellent. Compare to all the other crap on tv it is fantastic if people do more listen and understanding than just watching and judging.

Comment by Waiting – June 11, 2013 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Amen!!! I loved the series and I am so glad it was renewed so at least to clear up whether or not the Pazzi’s are put down and if Leo takes off to get the book of leaves and finds his mother. No one is remembering that David Goyer says this is not about exact historical events bit entertained licensing with some truths to be a guideline. I love, love historical with licensing series. It makes one look for the factual (if you can ever get the true, true facts) and it gives insight on where it all begin. I have watched the Borgias, Downton Abbey, Elizabeth, the Tudors, Emma, the Robe, the Bible, etc., etc., every last one of these productions takes license with what has been written as the truth…..because its for entertainment and then to make you THINK….GO LOOK UP THE FACTS, otherwise just enjoy these products for what the are!!!! Thank you Starz for the second season of Da Vinci’s Demons!!!

Comment by ErvieMac – July 8, 2013 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I got lost the first episode. Replayed it. I realized I kept tinkering on the internet. That told me that it wasn’t me. It was a problem with the show. Hence, I watched two more episodes and found myself wandering into daydreams and tinkering on the internet. I’ve gave up.

I loved Boss. I love Banshee. I love Magic City. Never watched Spartacus. I will tune in for The White Queen but not for Da Vinci ever again. And I am a Medici and Leonardo fan big-time. The few tidbits of the Medicis on The Borgias isn’t enough. This however is not satisfying me about iconic historic social designers like The Medicis and Leo.

Comment by Andrea – June 17, 2013 05:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have just viewed the 1st season of DaVinci’s Demons, and I thought that this was one of the best “first season” of a series ever. Does anyone remember the reference to the Pazzi’s that was one of the big theme’s in the second Silence of the Lambs? Well, here we go…the original Pazzi trouble makers sealing the fate of their family! I agree with so many of the other fans that have posted comments…as with all series, I think that this is going to be a great second season!

Comment by Patricia Griffin – September 29, 2013 01:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you! I am so disappointed with the season 2. I fell in love with season 1, they created magic, we were invested in the relationships between the characters… Now, it is just getting lost and confusing! This new season has too many new character for no reason at all. They lost the magic! I feel like I am watching a whole different story..

Comment by senhoritabutterfly – April 13, 2014 09:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post