TVLine Items: Friends Boss Nixes Reunion Talk, Covert Scoop, Exes' Clueless Twist and More

Friends Reunion Could this Friends reunion rumor be any more untrue?

“I’m going to clear this up,” Friends co-creator Marta Kauffman told E! News Monday night, “it’s not happening!”

Essentially putting the kibosh on any reunion ever, televised or otherwise, Kauffman explained, “Friends was about that time in your life when your friends are your family and once you have a family, there’s no need anymore.”

RELATED | May Sweeps Scorecard 2013: Deaths, Departures, Weddings and More!

For those unaware of the latest Central Perk buzz, a report from a never-before-heard-of website set the Web ablaze earlier this week when it “confirmed” that NBC had greenlit a comeback season (yes, not just a special) of the hit comedy, to air in 2014.

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…

Covert Affairs has tapped Constance Wu (One Live to Live) and Johnny Wu (24) to guest-star in a Season 4 episode as married Chinese bureaucrats living in D.C., TVLine has learned exclusively. Spy gal Annie will be tasked with determining whether the pair’s motives are more nefarious than previously believed.

If this news doesn’t make you want to roll with the homies, we’re not sure what will: The Exes is staging a Clueless reunion! Stacey Dash (Single Ladies) has been tapped to appear opposite her former big-screen love Donald Faison in a July episode of the TV Land comedy, TVGuide.com reports, playing Phil’s (Faison) born-again virgin girlfriend.

RELATED | 2013 TV Shows — Renewed or Cancelled?

Starz has unveiled a first look at Black Sails, its upcoming Michael Bay-produced pirate drama series set 20 years before the events of Robert Louis Stevenson’s Treasure Island. Press PLAY below for a peek at the series, which stars Toby Stephens (Die Another Day) and Australian actor Luke Arnold.

30 Rock vet Tracy Morgan has been named host of the 2013 Billboard Music Awards, which will air Sunday, May 19 on ABC.

DirecTV has given the green light to Full Circle, a 10-episode drama series from Neil LaBute (In the Company of Men). The project is said to examine the human condition through a series of conversations between 11 people who, unbeknownst to them, are all somehow intertwined.

Smash EPs Craig Zadan and Neil Meron have been asked back to produce the Oscars, which will air March 2, 2014.

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

Comments (41)

• And the Oscars will never get out of tech …

Comment by Annie – April 17, 2013 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • +1

Comment by Newo – April 17, 2013 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • everyboby wants to see a friends go again on tv there are well miss the funnyist t,v show out than
        and still is today. u have a good laugh watching them on set why not ur ranking will go up if they came bk well if i was producer of friend it was be a big fat yes comeback just come back pls if it was just for a few tapes it all makes since

Comment by conor – April 4, 2014 12:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And will make extremely poor decisions regarding men in general, especially if they are bad boys ;0

Comment by Danielle H. – April 17, 2013 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOVE

Comment by Jamie – April 17, 2013 05:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish I could see some sort of re-union of FRIENDS though. Not a movie or season, but something! I can still watch the episodes, which may be my millionth time but I can never get tired,

Comment by Sally – April 17, 2013 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • wouldnt want to see a movie but would love to see a fake reunion on “episodes”…. kind of like what curb did for seinfeld.

Comment by eddie – April 17, 2013 05:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would have liked to see a thanksgiving episode just so we can know if Ross and Rachel actually got married. I want to know where they are right now in their respective lives but I guess its too much to ask :(

Comment by JC – April 17, 2013 09:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “30 Rock vet Tracy Morgan has been named host of the 2013 Billboard Music Awards”

As if the Grammy’s, AMAs, CMAs, and ACMAs, weren’t enough…

Comment by Duke – April 17, 2013 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Friends rumor is just cruel. I knew it had to be fake because it said season and not a one-time special, but still. I wish they’d do an annual Thanksgiving special. NBC could use the ratings.

Comment by Mikael – April 17, 2013 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on ValTastic and commented:
    No friends special or season ever?! ;(

Comment by valtastic – April 17, 2013 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Friends was torture the first time around, for the love of God please no reunion, no special, no reboot, nothing!

Comment by Dave – April 17, 2013 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If by torture you mean awesome the yes

Comment by Sam – April 17, 2013 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And by torture I’m assuming you mean universally beloved phenomena.

Comment by dude – April 17, 2013 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Maybe universally beloved to you.

Comment by Nope – April 17, 2013 03:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t like it? Don’t watch it! ;)

Comment by Flo – April 17, 2013 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh believe me, I didn’t watch it, and I cringe in disgust whenever I see a station playing re-runs.

Comment by Dave – April 17, 2013 10:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “about that time in your life when your friends are your family and once you have a family, there’s no need anymore”

Well, that’s a really depressing take on having close friends. Surely I’m not the only person who has an extended friends-family that’s slowly expanded over time as everyone gets married married and has kids?

Comment by Brooke – April 17, 2013 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think she just meant that your friends stop being your first priority when you start a family and that wasn’t the kind of show she wanted to make.

Comment by dude – April 17, 2013 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No most people just get abandoned by their friends when they have family!! Facebook changed it a little so now you know when their children go number two the first time but that’s about it!

Comment by Jason – April 17, 2013 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Most people? Jeez. I’m not married, but I am still close with my married friends. My mom regularly sees her closest friends even though they all got married and had kids (with whom I spent so many holidays and vacations growing up, they are essentially my play cousins). My dad and his best friend from college (my godfather) still play golf every other weekend. There are plenty of people whose friends are still like their family after they get married.

Comment by Spencer – April 17, 2013 05:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s woman (Kaufmann) really has a sad take on friendships. Many of the friends I had when I single (and we all were single) are still friends today. I agree that a reboot doesn’t make sense. Once the characters get married, etc. kind of defeats premise, but I don’t agree with her rationale. It’s a danger the TBBT will face if they aren’t careful. One married couple is enough on that show.

Comment by Chicago Dan – April 17, 2013 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I figure Monica is now cheating on Chandler. Joey is married to an 18 year old!! Phoebe is in an insane asylum. Ross has a coke habit! And Rachel died of Breast cancer!!!

Comment by Jason – April 17, 2013 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why can’t they at least do Thanksgiving episodes?

Comment by TT – April 17, 2013 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t care about Friends, because the two talented stars [Cox & Perry] are working. Kudrow and Schwimmer are obnoxious and Aniston is a dried up prune.. I’ll go for a Gilmore Girls reboot, though.

Comment by lyn – April 17, 2013 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You are honestly the first person I have ever heard call Courteney Cox more talented than Lisa Kudrow. Just wow.

Comment by Hannah – April 17, 2013 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Add the Bullboard awards to the list of things I can’t watch with that homophobe Tracey Morgan.

Comment by Jay – April 17, 2013 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Friends got a good ending and a very long run and a reunion is unnecessary. Maybe in another 10-20 years a reunion would be nice.
    They should make reunions/reboot shows that got crappy endings or were cancelled too soon. Brothers & Sisters?! Gilmore Girls?! GCB?! The list goes on…

Comment by A – April 17, 2013 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You mean shows they can’t make money on ?

Comment by Jason – April 17, 2013 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think a reunion photoshoot would be the best way to pay homage to FRIENDS. Get the whole cast and take maybe 5-9 photos of what their lives are now. They’d be able to keep a lot up to fan’s imagination yet still be nostalgic. And put lots of easter eggs in the backgrounds

Comment by mia – April 17, 2013 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Kind of like what Full House did. Everyone was excited by a few pictures of the cast.

Comment by RJ – April 17, 2013 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is an awesome idea you should send an email about this to Warner Brothers :))

Comment by JC – April 17, 2013 09:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m excited for a Clueless reunion! I love The Exes :)

Comment by Kristina – April 17, 2013 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I almost think NBC is foolish not to pressure the creators and cast of Friends to do a reunion special. If they did, say, an hour-long Friends episode on Thanksgiving 2014 it would be 10 years after the Friends finale and celebrating the holiday-episode that Friends was always best known for – and pretty much a lock for HUGE ratings that the network could use in November sweeps.

Comment by Adam – April 17, 2013 04:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Friends is my number one favorite show in the world and (as weird as this sounds to normal people) extremely important to me. I’m glad they’re not doing another season, because I want it to be left just as it was. But I’d love if they’d just have the cast get together and take pictures. :)

Comment by Babybop – April 17, 2013 05:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dammit! A Friends comeback was too good to be true… But I was kinda hoping it’d happen… :( Thanks for clearing that up though!

Comment by Flo – April 17, 2013 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So you ditch your family of friends when you have a family? What the hell?

Comment by David4 – April 17, 2013 08:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Hmm, let’s see. I have a brand new entertainment/media/whatever website. I need to get lots of attention to get lots of clicks to get lots of ad revenue. I think I’ll start some really big rumors and see what happens.”

Good, g-d, the rest of you media types are so gullible these days.

Here’s a good one: ‘HBO has finally put the green light on a Deadwood movie. All stars will be returning to their original roles. Look for a Spring 2014 release date.’

Comment by Bob – April 18, 2013 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just because you married does not mean you lose your friends, if that is the case Courtney cox would not be friends with Jennifer Aniston. Marta Kaufman think before you say anything again. I am sure their will be a reunion when someone needs the money.

Comment by Friend from Massachusetts – May 1, 2013 09:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post