The Voice Recap: Angered Management [Updated]

The Voice Caroline GlaserDon’t make Usher angry. You wouldn’t like him when he’s angry.

Indeed, during Night 2 of The Voice‘s Season 4 Battle Rounds, the “U Got It Bad” singer took a stern approach to his coaching role, getting offended when an underperforming contestant dared to laugh mid-rehearsal. “What’s funny?” “Why you smilin’?” “This is funny to you?” Usher asked with increasing levels of irritation.

Another reason not to make Usher angry? Dude is responsible for discovering Justin Bieber, so if you’re an aspiring music star/selfie-Tweeter, it’s probably best to stay on his good side anyhow.

Aside from Usher’s brief bout of bad-assedness, though, it was yet another Voice episode brought to you by Feel Good Inc. Blake got extra nurturing over a pair of teenage girl contestants. Adam pitted a firefighter against a sheriff, and even though only one advanced, it felt like both of ‘em came out smiling. And everything ended with a delightful steal.

The only bad news was that one of the season’s most exciting Blind Auditioners — Grace “These Boots Are Made for Walkin’” Aksew — was relegated to a brief “also advancing to the Knockouts” highlight reel. Ah well, as the Stones tell us, you can’t always get what you want…

Still, here at TVLine, we aim to get you what you need, and with that in mind, it’s time for me to weigh in on the night’s proceedings: I’ve ranked each individual battle (that got more than 10 seconds of play) from least- to most-promising winner, as I often do!

3) Team Usher: Josiah Hawley defeats Jeff Lewis on the Police’s “Roxanne” | I agreed with Shakira that neither of these guys was particularly impressive, but Josiah’s intermittent use of his male modeling background to serve “Blue Steel” to the audience was particularly irksome. No wonder Usher was grouchy during their coaching session. Jeff may have committed First Degree Nervous Giggle in rehearsal, but I heard more promise in his performance.

2) Team Adam: Warren Stone defeats Michael Austin on Jason Aldean’s “My Kind of Party” | From a purely vocal standpoint, Michael outsang Warren, who got knocked off the beat faster than a rodeo cowboy on a particularly wild bronco, never to get back on. Sure, the firefighter shook his booty better than anyone has all season, but you can’t download that on iTunes — at least not the last time I checked!

1) Team Blake: Danielle Bradbery defeats Caroline Glaser on Corinne Bailey Rae’s “Put Your Records On” (Caroline stolen by Adam) | Danielle certainly has power and clarity on her side, but at 16, she has yet to develop any real personality in her voice. Yet under Blake’s Season 4 “Country or Bust” philosophy — which has left me utterly flummoxed — it was pretty clear she was taking home the TKO (in his eyes, anyway). Thankfully, both Adam and Usher appreciated the warm, lilting cadence of Caroline’s delivery. Yeah, Blake was right that she sings with an accent, but as his adviser Sheryl Crowe noted, girlfriend (who could be Julia Stiles’ little sis, no?) also has unique tone as an asset — and that might come back to bite Team Blake later in the season.

Also advancing: Grace Askew (YAY!) over Trevor Davis (Team Blake); Tawnya Reyonolds over Mark Andrew (Team Shakira); Audrey Karrasch over Jamila Thompson (Team Usher). I didn’t really get enough info from those 10 second snippets to make any kind of informed judgment, and so I shan’t make any judgment whatsoever!

On that note, I turn things over to you: Who were your favorites from Night 2 of The Voice‘s Season 4 Battle Rounds? Were there any decisions with which you disagreed? Were you psyched to see Caroline get saved? Hit the comments with your thoughts!

1. Jacob P says:

I missed it! Instead, I watched Mindydoo

2. Mellie says:

Corrine Bailey* Rae

I can’t believe they only gave us three full performances. Really? We need 20 minutes of coaching to 1.5 minutes of singing? Thank god for DVRs.

• Dan says:

So true. I could also live without having Carlson recap what just happened two minutes before.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

The amount of recaps of stuff that happened two minutes again and previews for stuff that will happen in two minutes is out of hand!

3. Wingeyes says:

It’s a shame usher doesn’t get the credit he deserves. He seems very dedicated and wanting honestly for them to do well… whereas Adam is too laid back and Blake is pretty jokey. Considering that he has the cred to get someone young famous , the girls should lislten.
    This whole episode was pretty blah. Some of the cut battles seemed more interesting.

• Totally agree. Usher seems like such an excellent mentor. I love all the judges but he is clearly the one that stands out as the best coach – and even the most serious. I was most impressed with him tonight, even over the contestants. Maybe he’ll get the proper recognition after more time on the show.

• Connie says:

@wingeyes I disagree.

Been in the music business for years and I’m a fan of The Voice and I have to say Blake chooses the best songs that is most appropriate for all his contestants. It showcases their voice ability yet not too stranded from the commercial or artistic point of view.

Once you have the ability to do I bet you that during rehearsals, it would be a breeze and much easier to get through. That’s why Blake is always laughing, joking and chilling with everyone. It’s because he got the song choice out of the way and they have less work to do altogether. It takes the pressure off them. I’ve worked with musicians and making music is not suppose to be strict or intense at all. Usher needs to chill and enjoy the ride.

This is why Blake Shelton is arguably the best coach of The Voice. Because he knows the music industry so well and that he knows what songs to pick and what not to.

Looking back at Usher song choice tonight, I think it was one of the worse that he has made. Both of the guys ruined that song during Battles and it clearly doesn’t fit their style at all.

4. Blake is clearly the best coach on The Voice and I agree with his decisions almost 100% of the time, and even likes Danielle and glad she is advancing, but wow, letting Caroline Glaser go was a colossal mistake on his part. Thankfully Adam (and Usher) wisely swooped in for the Steal. Hopefully Caroline ends up being as a successful Steal that Amanda Brown was for Adam last season.

• Mimi says:

Completely agree with you there. Danielle has a beautiful and powerful voice, and it was definitely a hard decision. But Caroline won me over more than Danielle did, although I’m extremely glad both of them are still on the show.

• Lee says:

I preferred Caroline over Danielle too. But isn’t it interesting that so far Blake has always picked the county singer over the non-country singer. And IMO I felt the non-country singers, Christian and Caroline, were better than the country singers. I think Blake is a terrible coach of a non-country singer.

• Zod says:

And what did you think last season when Blake was chopping down his country singers one after another?

• scootermcgavin says:

Blake has won twice with non-country singers (and two second place finishes) so apparently he’s doing something right. Or at least did the first three seasons.

• Danny says:

While I would have went w/ Danielle too, I can see why people think Caroline should have won. I felt she was 2nd best of the night. I think Adam made it pretty clear he was going to steal whichever one Blake didn’t pick, especially if it was Caroline. So he may have picked Danielle because he knew Caroline was still going to continue. I’m not 100% sure on that, but just a thought.

• Christine says:

I agree. Adam made it crystal clear that he would steal Caroline.

I think that is why Blake chose Danielle. That way he knew both would move on.

• scootermcgavin says:

I get a strong feeling that after winning two straight seasons and never have country artist advance further than the quarterfinals that he is going country or bust this season. So far he has picked four country leaning acts over non-country and Savannah is probably a safe bet to advance too because she is his best country singer. It is just a shame he did not share this strategy Caroline because she could have gone home very prematurely because of it.

• HitTheGroundRunning says:

Yeah both were good but Caroline was def the winner! I knew Blake would take Danielle though she is totally his type.

• Timmah says:

Danielle has a nice voice, but Caroline’s is unique and amazing. I don’t know what Blake was thinking.

• The Beach says:

Anyone else get a young Norah Jones vibe from Caroline?

• ES says:

I hear more of Ingrid Michaelson/Regina Spektor/Sara Bareilles (indie/folk pop types).

• Lucy27Lucy says:

Absolutely, was thinking the same thing each time I’ve heard her! I did find Danielle stronger and more on key with the song, but with some good coaching and development I think Caroline has one of the more distinct and attractive sounds in the competition. She will thrive with some help…great call on the Jones sound-alike.

• Kristina says:

Maybe Blake was thinking that in the past, the singers with Caroline’s voice never won. Or he could try to help Danielle more and new that the other judges would save Caroline over Danielle. Who knows. I will say that Caroline’s voice is reminiscent of Norah Jones, which is nice. And I can’t believe that Danielle is such a natural and has so much control in her voice. Compared to others, I don’t know if they’ll make it far but I’m glad they both are moving on.

5. TaMara says:

I only watch the Voice intermittently, so a full hour of battle rounds was unusual for me. What why the heck do they do the abbreviated performances? What’s the point? If there’s not enough time to see all the contestants perform, cut back on contestants. It’s frustrating in the blind auditions, I didn’t realize they continued it in the rest of the show.

6. Spycigal says:

Can a coach steal their own contestant? I’ve wondered if they like both contestants if they can, within the rules, chose the winner of the battle the hit their button to steal the loser…

• scootermcgavin says:

I guessing that is going to be the thing that “Shocks” the other coaches and producers that they teased in the promo for next week. I doubt they will let them, otherwise each coach would end up just trying to “Steal” their own contestants every time, which would really defeat the purpose of the Seal.

• Allie says:

I’m thinking this too. Usher looks pretty confident in the promo, though.

• Kristoffer says:

Hmmmmm… I hadn’t thought of that. I though maybe next weeks ‘shock’ was going to be a coach wanting to steal and while offering to drop one of their own/or a previous steal. Your guess makes more sense than mine.

• Keith says:

They need to stop calling it a steal.The coaches aren’t stealing anyone,they are picking a singer that the original coach got rid of.

• Lisa says:

Again with this, Keith? We got it the first eight hundred times.

• sugarcube4u says:

Lol right;)

• Jaysfan says:

Ha! Thank-you! Just like we also know that Amanda Brown should have won last year!! I get it – she was incredible, but this is Season 4 and let’s start talking about this season opposed to last season’s travesties!!

• Kristoffer says:

I agree. Carson yelling “We have a coach picking a singer that the original coach got rid of” has a much better ring than the “We have a steal!”

7. Amanda Brown may have been a successful steal but where is she now? These singing competitions are more about the show than the actual results of the show.

• Danny says:

For that matter, has the winner went on to do anything? I haven’t heard much from her. I still like this show though. At least this season, it’s running circles around AI. At the moment I have Janelle #1 over on AI. I’d have her about 9th if she was on the Voice this year.

• jules says:

caroline’s voice is bad and not unique at all. I don’t get what the judges are hearing most of the the time on this show. Idol’s talent is better :)

• Terry says:

Idol’s talent is better?!?!? Who? Lazaro? Hahahahahahahahahahahah. Good one!

• jules says:

Of course not Lazaro – but the Voice’s “great” singers are too grating to me to listen to. Caroline’s voice is like nails on a chalkboard to be but she is seen as soooo talented – and she is only one example to me. I would take a Kree, Candice or Angie any day over the supposed “great” people on the voice.

• Owen says:

Well, no. But you know exactly what Jules was saying. The Voice, despite its hype and ratings has produced nowhere near a sing star. Where Idol has produced many. To its embarrassment, Adam was once asked why and he said, who cares? He went on to say it doesn’t matter if anyone from the Voice ever becomes a singing star (!)

• Terry says:

^^^hahahahaha, that’s even funnier. lol.

• Terry says:

To elaborate… Idol has produced only 2 what I would consider really successful in the music biz (Kelly and Carrie) stars in twelve seasons.That’s like less than 2 percent of all top ten contestants since idol started. That’s nothing for them to brag about, at least I don’t think it is. Besides, if we’re talking about which show is more entertaining then I agree with Adam, who cares what happens afterwards!

• Joline says:

@ Terry – at least Idol has produced talent that has been played on the radio and sold records. Kelly and Carrie are mega stars! There are only a couple dozen or so of them on the radio AT ALL today so not fair to consider moderate success a failure because they never reached that height of stardom. Lots of people in the world know about Jennifer Hudson, Daughtry, Katherine McPhee, Phillip Phillips, Adam Lambert, David Cook, Kellie Pickler, Clay Aiken, Jordin Sparks and Fantasia. How many people who don’t watch the Voice know ANY of the contestants?

• Justin says:

I think from this season, Candice can kick their asses vocally. Not to mention contestants from the other seasons.

• Davey says:

Candice is a wonderful singer. But her likeability factor is close to 5 on a 1 to 10 scale and I haven’t been compelled to watch AI because of this. And also because the song choice AI seems ancient mainly because of the terrible arrangements.

• Lee says:

AI is boring this year. With the exception of Candice, none of them emotionally connect with me.

• Watherly says:

She certainly did last week — but before that no. She has been a little weak on the notes and pretty squeechy. Last week she nailed it, but . . .

• The Beach says:

If either Josiah or the hunky fireman were on AI this season I’ll bet they would be in the Top 5 (and not necessarily for their talent :-) )

• Zod says:

The season one winner got no post-show support from The Voice (and Dia Frampton ended up selling more albums than him). The season two winner’s album got delayed after his single (which completely ruined his natural singing voice with manufactured music) bombed. Cassadee’s working on her album right now and it sounds like she’s got a lot of label support for a push. She’s even getting her own show about making her album.

• Danny says:

@ Zod- Thanks for the update. I had wondered what happened to her. Good for her. I’m glad she’s getting support. If a label buries ya, it doesn’t matter how good ya sing. Conversely, if they push ya enough, like a lot of the pop stars out now, it doesn’t matter how bad ya sing or in some cases, even if ya can sing.

• Dan says:

She is recording her album. I won’t judge her career until it actually starts.

8. Graham says:

I like tonight’s episode. The highlight was saved for the end and it ended on a happy note with Caroline Glaser winning the battle to stay on- even though she lost the battle. I found it very entertaining.

9. Kstar says:

Was it me or did Danielle have white braces on her teeth? I remember she had a cute crooked tooth in the Blinds – looks like she decided to get it fixed.

10. Danny says:

I think they only showed the Police song because Usher got upset with those 2 in the practice song. The one was brutal (Jeff) and the other one average (Josiah). This is the first battle round that belonged over on American Idol.
    I thought the Danielle vs Caroline was a tough one. I had a hunch by what Adam was saying that he was going to steal which ever one Blake didn’t pick. So that made me feel better because I liked them both a lot. Danielle is unusual because I generally don’t care for kids on these shows. I mean that as in their singing. I wish em all well in their lives.
    I wish they’d have shown more of “If I was a Boy” than “Roxanne.” That one looked like it would have been pretty good if it got more air time.

• Dan says:

Will you stop complaining about idol? Why even watch the show if you don’t like it?

• Jan1 says:

I’d love Idol to be left completely out of the comments since I don’t watch it. However wanting and getting are 2 different things. :-)

• Justin says:

Funny how you care enough about American Idol to even mention it. Shows how big of a show it is in your life. The talent in general is way better on idol. Candice, Kelly, Carrie, Jennifer, Joshua, and Jessica are way better than anybody on the Voice.

• Danny says:

@ Justin- Yea, I def. care about Idol. I want it to be good. I’d take Candice off your list, keep the rest you listed, and add a whole lot more. The one exception to anyone on the Voice would be Amanda Brown. She can hang w/ pretty much anyone. I think a few more from this year will join her in what would be a Top 25 from AI + Voice type list.
        I make no bones about enjoying Idol a lot. I wish it were a better season this year.
        As for the comparisons, these are 2 similar show blogs written by the same author. I’ve always felt they went together.There’s a lot of the same audience to both.
        @ Dan- Maybe a bit to much complaining this year about it. I didn’t mean to rile anyone up though. Sorry about that. I’m not expecting ya to go back & look at any archives, but most of my posts about Idol last year (the singers, not judges) were pretty upbeat. I thought the top 7 last year was all very good.

11. Jake says:

Caroline, Danielle, Josiah, and Jeff were all really great. I actually thought that Michael easily beat Warren out based on pure vocals, but maybe Adam went with Warren because he’s more of the “whole package” (read: hotter and less old). As for the brief snippets, I don’t know that I am all that obsessed with Grace, but I thought Jamila sounded amazing and yet somehow still lost to Audrey whats-her-name.

12. G-Mom says:

If they can’t show all of the contestants all of the time, they should reduce the number of contestants to start with! It’s not fair to them to just show snippets like, “oh so and so performed too and here is who was picked”. Also, Caroline’s and Danielle’s voices are too different to be singing that song together. However, they both are so GOOD!

• A says:

Agreed. Who are they to decide which contestants don’t deserve a full battle segnment? Not everybody enjoys every single contestant that’s why it would be nice if everyone got equal airtime so even if we have to sit through the people we don’t like we still get a chance to enjoy the ones we do like. I had to sit through that Garrett kids battle round (I never really liked his voice) but I don’t get to see Grace Askew’s battle round which I was looking forward to. Its really unfair.

• Jan1 says:

Nobody said it was supposed to be fair.

13. A says:

The recapping is completely out of hand on this show. I understand the need for it at the beginning and the end of the show but the rest of the recapping in between is so annoying. Its like they think we’re stupid and we have to be reminded every 5 minutes what happened. Can’t stand Carson Daly.

Anyways, happy that Caroline was stolen. I really enjoyed both Danielle and her performance.

• sam says:

That’s exactly what made me stop watching last season. And then you have to fast forward, rewind, repeat constantly for the 2 seconds of actual new footage and a minute and a half performance. Meanwhile, if they dropped some of the recapping, then maybe we would get to see every performance.

14. Maggie says:

I LOVED Caroline & Danielle together, it didn’t even really feel like a battle which was oddly refreshing. their voices blended when they were supposed to & stood out when they were supposed to. And it looked like they were having so much fun!! I think Adam is the right coach for Caroline, a little more in her wheelhouse.

15. Snow says:

I just really loved Caroline and Danielle’s battle. I was smiling, clapping, and just being a huge dork throughout the whole battle. I’m really glad that they were both able to advance. They are both just so cute and talented, and just really super likable.

• Danny says:

That’s pretty well said. I thought they were the best 2 of the night. On one hand too bad they were in the same battle. On the other I’m def. glad they both went through. You nailed it w/ they’re both so likable.

16. ES says:

On a shallow note, Josiah is so, SO pretty. But I find his style of singing irritating. He does this thing where he messes with the pronunciation of the last word in the lyric (e.g., “Drivin’ slow on Sunday morn-nehn, I never want to laaay-ve”), or he cuts off the end of a word (“Roxanne, you don’t have to put on the red lighh-”). Of course, I still like him to an extent (I liked both Josiah and Jeff after their blind auditions), but I definitely think that Jeff out-sang him tonight.

Also, I agree with another commenter above who said that Usher makes poor song choices. He picked “You Know I’m No Good” for Jess and Taylor, neither of whom have the maturity or artistry for that song, and “Roxanne” wasn’t a good fit for Josiah nor Jeff. I imagine it would be hard to showcase your talents as a singer when you’re given a song that does nothing to help you or isn’t compatible with your style.

• The Beach says:

I agree with this post. Not everyone is able to “sing the phonebook”. Judges’ song choices are a big deal.

• Lee says:

Don’t you think his pronunciation of the last word is a southern thing? I know some people from the South who talk like that. They seem to emphasize the beginning of the word. For example, they’ll say JU-ly.

• ES says:

Thing is, Josiah doesn’t have a Southern accent when he talks. The mispronunciation thing is a very contrived effect. Watch his blind audition, maybe you’ll see what I mean.

17. Lo says:

caroline glaser could win the whole thing with adam.

18. Joshua says:

In my opinion, blake would choose danielle it was because danielle was definitely his type, but i felt that caroline could go all the way.

19. ES says:

I was disappointed not to be able to see all the battles this week, particularly Tawnya vs. Mark as I loved both of their blind auditions. (RIP Trevor and Jamila – both montaged twice, less than 30 seconds of screen time apiece.) All the time wasted on recapping is really irksome.

To the battles we actually saw – Josiah vs. Jeff and Warren vs. Michael were both a total waste of time from a “who’s going to go far in the competition” standpoint. None of these guys were all that great. I agreed with the coaches’ picks in both, but there’s not much else to say.

Caroline vs. Danielle was the only battle that I think even began to approach the greatness of yesterday’s matchups (Amber vs. Sasha, Judith vs. Karina, and Garrett vs. J’Sun were three of the best battle round performances ever, in my opinion). I think Blake made a poor choice from a strategic standpoint. He’s loaded down with country singers as it is, and Caroline has a gorgeous tone. I like Danielle, too, though, and I’m happy both girls advanced.

20. Zod says:

Anyone think if Christina were on this season, Caroline would be the contestant she gives backhanded disinterested compliments to, like praising the set design instead of her performance?

• Maris says:

Yes, another reason why I’m glad Christina isn’t on the show, Caroline reminds me of Melanie because they both have a really unique tone but are not particularly strong singers (I do really like both of them though, Melanie was actually my favorite last season)

21. Chris says:

If I were a contestant who was young and hopeful I’d be scared of Usher. I’d be scared because his work ethic is light years ahead, and I wouldn’t understand that. BUT as a twenty something and above with singing talent I’d go running to his team. He knows what it takes to be both an artist and performer – Bieber discovery or not (not really a fan on Bieb’s). I can clearly see why he’d get irritated with the laughter and understood why he chose Josiah. This is work and fun. Work off stage, fun on stage as long as you are interpreting the song for it’s worth.

I was also confused with Blake’s comment about Caroline being a singer/songwriter and not knowing what to do with that… Um Blake what are you? is what I said out loud…

22. DL says:

Julia Stiles’ little sis? No way. She looks uncannily like Rachel Bilson’s younger sister.

• Terry says:

Ah, thank you! It was really bothering me I couldn’t think of who the heck she reminded me of, and it def wasn’t Julia Stiles.

23. Rain says:

I wish that if the battle round was terrible they could kick off both singers and get an extra steal. Josiah & Jeff were both horrible and don’t deserve to be into the next round when Christian and J’Sun were both kicked off Monday!

I loved Danielle and Caroline, happy they both got to stay.

The more they show of Usher, the less I like him. He just seems so full of himself, like his smile alone is enough to win people over. I appreciate that he’s trying to get them to work hard in practice, but I think he needs to work with them more on their actual singing than if they’re “drawing you in”. Caroline was smart to go with Adam!

24. Kiki says:

Josiah and Jeff were too busy performing (mugging) to properly interpret. You’re trying to get your girlfriend to stop selling her body you two wing nuts, it’s nothing to smile about! And for pity’s sake, when is somebody going to learn true vocal power does not come from how loud you produce the note?

25. Vetle says:

I don’t really like country and he’s not the strongest vocalist, but Warren comes off as really likeable to me, so I voted for him. Plus, I (strangely) find him kinda hot…

26. PinBox says:

Actually, Caroline Glaser is a dead ringer for Rachel Bilson!

27. STM says:

I think that someone in the production crew should remove some songs from the choice list that the coaches chose from. I think I prefer Juliet’s version of Roxanne even over the original. for sure no other artist should ever try to cover it again. mixing in some wacky way, maybe, but no attempt to re sing it ever, no way it will be anywhere near as good.

28. syb says:

The show loses me at this point. I hate the battle rounds. Contrived, and not designed to put the most promising and interesting talents through. Moreover, the performance is unnatural for most of them as they singing a song picked by someone else, and they’re supposed to harmonize with musically with someone they’re trying to beat in the very performance. It’s the kind of “dramatic twist” that puts the importance of the talent in third place behind the celebrities’ egos and the trumped up melodrama. It’s too bad, because they get some great or at least interesting singers on this show relegated to the background by the format.

29. EM says:

I listened to (the previews of) all the studio versions thus far on iTunes. And may I just say… Audrey sounds absolutely horrid. Either she’s a lot better live, OR Jamila was even worse, OR Usher made a colossal mistake.

30. Matt says:

I really have liked Usher so far right up to this move. It’s called nervous laughter jackass. It it’s really crappy and a cheap shot to jump on someone for laughing in such a tense situation.

31. Jan says:

I think there’s something we’re not being told about the Audrey Karrasch vs. Jamila Thompson battle that we were prevented from seeing. This may have something to do with why it wasn’t aired. It was sooooo obvious that Usher had the hots for Audrey and is probably why he put her through when arguebly Jamila was better, especially since Audrey said so herself. I think the reason this battle (which is the one I wanted to see most) wasn’t aired has to do with some awkwardness around this battle/decision. I’m pissed I didn’t get to see that battle. The snipnet was totally unsatisfying. And I agree wholeheartedly with those who say valuable air time is being wasted with the numerous recaps. What do they think we are, imbociles?

32. tshyra says:

i like danielle her voice is so beautiful and uniqe in a way i think she can win this and vito