The Voice Recap: Angered Management [Updated]

The Voice Caroline GlaserDon’t make Usher angry. You wouldn’t like him when he’s angry.

Indeed, during Night 2 of The Voice‘s Season 4 Battle Rounds, the “U Got It Bad” singer took a stern approach to his coaching role, getting offended when an underperforming contestant dared to laugh mid-rehearsal. “What’s funny?” “Why you smilin’?” “This is funny to you?” Usher asked with increasing levels of irritation.

Another reason not to make Usher angry? Dude is responsible for discovering Justin Bieber, so if you’re an aspiring music star/selfie-Tweeter, it’s probably best to stay on his good side anyhow.

Aside from Usher’s brief bout of bad-assedness, though, it was yet another Voice episode brought to you by Feel Good Inc. Blake got extra nurturing over a pair of teenage girl contestants. Adam pitted a firefighter against a sheriff, and even though only one advanced, it felt like both of ‘em came out smiling. And everything ended with a delightful steal.

The only bad news was that one of the season’s most exciting Blind Auditioners — Grace “These Boots Are Made for Walkin’” Aksew — was relegated to a brief “also advancing to the Knockouts” highlight reel. Ah well, as the Stones tell us, you can’t always get what you want…

Still, here at TVLine, we aim to get you what you need, and with that in mind, it’s time for me to weigh in on the night’s proceedings: I’ve ranked each individual battle (that got more than 10 seconds of play) from least- to most-promising winner, as I often do!

3) Team Usher: Josiah Hawley defeats Jeff Lewis on the Police’s “Roxanne” | I agreed with Shakira that neither of these guys was particularly impressive, but Josiah’s intermittent use of his male modeling background to serve “Blue Steel” to the audience was particularly irksome. No wonder Usher was grouchy during their coaching session. Jeff may have committed First Degree Nervous Giggle in rehearsal, but I heard more promise in his performance.

2) Team Adam: Warren Stone defeats Michael Austin on Jason Aldean’s “My Kind of Party” | From a purely vocal standpoint, Michael outsang Warren, who got knocked off the beat faster than a rodeo cowboy on a particularly wild bronco, never to get back on. Sure, the firefighter shook his booty better than anyone has all season, but you can’t download that on iTunes — at least not the last time I checked!

1) Team Blake: Danielle Bradbery defeats Caroline Glaser on Corinne Bailey Rae’s “Put Your Records On” (Caroline stolen by Adam) | Danielle certainly has power and clarity on her side, but at 16, she has yet to develop any real personality in her voice. Yet under Blake’s Season 4 “Country or Bust” philosophy — which has left me utterly flummoxed — it was pretty clear she was taking home the TKO (in his eyes, anyway). Thankfully, both Adam and Usher appreciated the warm, lilting cadence of Caroline’s delivery. Yeah, Blake was right that she sings with an accent, but as his adviser Sheryl Crowe noted, girlfriend (who could be Julia Stiles’ little sis, no?) also has unique tone as an asset — and that might come back to bite Team Blake later in the season.

Also advancing: Grace Askew (YAY!) over Trevor Davis (Team Blake); Tawnya Reyonolds over Mark Andrew (Team Shakira); Audrey Karrasch over Jamila Thompson (Team Usher). I didn’t really get enough info from those 10 second snippets to make any kind of informed judgment, and so I shan’t make any judgment whatsoever!

On that note, I turn things over to you: Who were your favorites from Night 2 of The Voice‘s Season 4 Battle Rounds? Were there any decisions with which you disagreed? Were you psyched to see Caroline get saved? Hit the comments with your thoughts!

Comments (105)

• I missed it! Instead, I watched Mindydoo

Comment by Jacob P – April 16, 2013 06:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I watched her show too! She was worth missing the show! (I know, it’s out of topic, sorry)

Comment by analythinker – April 16, 2013 06:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Wasn’t that a rerun?

Comment by Taylor – April 17, 2013 12:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Corrine Bailey* Rae

I can’t believe they only gave us three full performances. Really? We need 20 minutes of coaching to 1.5 minutes of singing? Thank god for DVRs.

Comment by Mellie – April 16, 2013 06:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So true. I could also live without having Carlson recap what just happened two minutes before.

Comment by Dan – April 16, 2013 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The amount of recaps of stuff that happened two minutes again and previews for stuff that will happen in two minutes is out of hand!

Comment by HitTheGroundRunning – April 16, 2013 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • ^This

Comment by The Beach – April 16, 2013 10:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • PLUS – they give away to much information! I like a little suspense!

Comment by the real wendy – April 17, 2013 05:25 AM PDT
          • Ya, exactly, that’s what I was gonna say too, they spoil the outcome!

Comment by Terry – April 17, 2013 08:24 AM PDT
        • In our house, we DVR and fast-forward through all of the previews for what’s going to happen in two minutes. It’s super annoying, though – I don’t understand why we need a preview or recap for something that happened five seconds ago.

Comment by Tiff – April 17, 2013 08:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Nor do we need long recaps of a contestant’s sob story. Too much filler and not enough singing. Grrrrr!

Comment by Jay – April 25, 2013 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s a shame usher doesn’t get the credit he deserves. He seems very dedicated and wanting honestly for them to do well… whereas Adam is too laid back and Blake is pretty jokey. Considering that he has the cred to get someone young famous , the girls should lislten.
    This whole episode was pretty blah. Some of the cut battles seemed more interesting.

Comment by Wingeyes – April 16, 2013 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree. Usher seems like such an excellent mentor. I love all the judges but he is clearly the one that stands out as the best coach – and even the most serious. I was most impressed with him tonight, even over the contestants. Maybe he’ll get the proper recognition after more time on the show.

Comment by Angelica Diamond – April 16, 2013 07:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • @wingeyes I disagree.

Been in the music business for years and I’m a fan of The Voice and I have to say Blake chooses the best songs that is most appropriate for all his contestants. It showcases their voice ability yet not too stranded from the commercial or artistic point of view.

Once you have the ability to do I bet you that during rehearsals, it would be a breeze and much easier to get through. That’s why Blake is always laughing, joking and chilling with everyone. It’s because he got the song choice out of the way and they have less work to do altogether. It takes the pressure off them. I’ve worked with musicians and making music is not suppose to be strict or intense at all. Usher needs to chill and enjoy the ride.

This is why Blake Shelton is arguably the best coach of The Voice. Because he knows the music industry so well and that he knows what songs to pick and what not to.

Looking back at Usher song choice tonight, I think it was one of the worse that he has made. Both of the guys ruined that song during Battles and it clearly doesn’t fit their style at all.

Comment by Connie – April 16, 2013 07:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Blake is clearly the best coach on The Voice and I agree with his decisions almost 100% of the time, and even likes Danielle and glad she is advancing, but wow, letting Caroline Glaser go was a colossal mistake on his part. Thankfully Adam (and Usher) wisely swooped in for the Steal. Hopefully Caroline ends up being as a successful Steal that Amanda Brown was for Adam last season.

Comment by Scooter McGavin – April 16, 2013 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Completely agree with you there. Danielle has a beautiful and powerful voice, and it was definitely a hard decision. But Caroline won me over more than Danielle did, although I’m extremely glad both of them are still on the show.

Comment by Mimi – April 16, 2013 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I preferred Caroline over Danielle too. But isn’t it interesting that so far Blake has always picked the county singer over the non-country singer. And IMO I felt the non-country singers, Christian and Caroline, were better than the country singers. I think Blake is a terrible coach of a non-country singer.

Comment by Lee – April 16, 2013 11:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • And what did you think last season when Blake was chopping down his country singers one after another?

Comment by Zod – April 17, 2013 12:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Blake has won twice with non-country singers (and two second place finishes) so apparently he’s doing something right. Or at least did the first three seasons.

Comment by scootermcgavin – April 17, 2013 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • While I would have went w/ Danielle too, I can see why people think Caroline should have won. I felt she was 2nd best of the night. I think Adam made it pretty clear he was going to steal whichever one Blake didn’t pick, especially if it was Caroline. So he may have picked Danielle because he knew Caroline was still going to continue. I’m not 100% sure on that, but just a thought.

Comment by Danny – April 16, 2013 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree. Adam made it crystal clear that he would steal Caroline.

I think that is why Blake chose Danielle. That way he knew both would move on.

Comment by Christine – April 17, 2013 07:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I get a strong feeling that after winning two straight seasons and never have country artist advance further than the quarterfinals that he is going country or bust this season. So far he has picked four country leaning acts over non-country and Savannah is probably a safe bet to advance too because she is his best country singer. It is just a shame he did not share this strategy Caroline because she could have gone home very prematurely because of it.

Comment by scootermcgavin – April 17, 2013 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah both were good but Caroline was def the winner! I knew Blake would take Danielle though she is totally his type.

Comment by HitTheGroundRunning – April 16, 2013 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Danielle has a nice voice, but Caroline’s is unique and amazing. I don’t know what Blake was thinking.

Comment by Timmah – April 16, 2013 09:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Anyone else get a young Norah Jones vibe from Caroline?

Comment by The Beach – April 16, 2013 10:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I hear more of Ingrid Michaelson/Regina Spektor/Sara Bareilles (indie/folk pop types).

Comment by ES – April 17, 2013 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Absolutely, was thinking the same thing each time I’ve heard her! I did find Danielle stronger and more on key with the song, but with some good coaching and development I think Caroline has one of the more distinct and attractive sounds in the competition. She will thrive with some help…great call on the Jones sound-alike.

Comment by Lucy27Lucy – April 17, 2013 09:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Maybe Blake was thinking that in the past, the singers with Caroline’s voice never won. Or he could try to help Danielle more and new that the other judges would save Caroline over Danielle. Who knows. I will say that Caroline’s voice is reminiscent of Norah Jones, which is nice. And I can’t believe that Danielle is such a natural and has so much control in her voice. Compared to others, I don’t know if they’ll make it far but I’m glad they both are moving on.

Comment by Kristina – April 16, 2013 10:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I only watch the Voice intermittently, so a full hour of battle rounds was unusual for me. What why the heck do they do the abbreviated performances? What’s the point? If there’s not enough time to see all the contestants perform, cut back on contestants. It’s frustrating in the blind auditions, I didn’t realize they continued it in the rest of the show.

Comment by TaMara – April 16, 2013 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s why this show’s format is, well….interesting

Comment by Julie – April 16, 2013 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can a coach steal their own contestant? I’ve wondered if they like both contestants if they can, within the rules, chose the winner of the battle the hit their button to steal the loser…

Comment by Spycigal – April 16, 2013 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I guessing that is going to be the thing that “Shocks” the other coaches and producers that they teased in the promo for next week. I doubt they will let them, otherwise each coach would end up just trying to “Steal” their own contestants every time, which would really defeat the purpose of the Seal.

Comment by scootermcgavin – April 16, 2013 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m thinking this too. Usher looks pretty confident in the promo, though.

Comment by Allie – April 17, 2013 04:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Hmmmmm… I hadn’t thought of that. I though maybe next weeks ‘shock’ was going to be a coach wanting to steal and while offering to drop one of their own/or a previous steal. Your guess makes more sense than mine.

Comment by Kristoffer – April 17, 2013 08:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They need to stop calling it a steal.The coaches aren’t stealing anyone,they are picking a singer that the original coach got rid of.

Comment by Keith – April 16, 2013 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Again with this, Keith? We got it the first eight hundred times.

Comment by Lisa – April 16, 2013 08:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Lol right;)

Comment by sugarcube4u – April 16, 2013 09:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Ha! Thank-you! Just like we also know that Amanda Brown should have won last year!! I get it – she was incredible, but this is Season 4 and let’s start talking about this season opposed to last season’s travesties!!

Comment by Jaysfan – April 18, 2013 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree. Carson yelling “We have a coach picking a singer that the original coach got rid of” has a much better ring than the “We have a steal!”

Comment by Kristoffer – April 17, 2013 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amanda Brown may have been a successful steal but where is she now? These singing competitions are more about the show than the actual results of the show.

Comment by Josiane Ochman (@PiloteXYZ) – April 16, 2013 07:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • For that matter, has the winner went on to do anything? I haven’t heard much from her. I still like this show though. At least this season, it’s running circles around AI. At the moment I have Janelle #1 over on AI. I’d have her about 9th if she was on the Voice this year.

Comment by Danny – April 16, 2013 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • caroline’s voice is bad and not unique at all. I don’t get what the judges are hearing most of the the time on this show. Idol’s talent is better :)

Comment by jules – April 16, 2013 07:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Idol’s talent is better?!?!? Who? Lazaro? Hahahahahahahahahahahah. Good one!

Comment by Terry – April 17, 2013 08:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Of course not Lazaro – but the Voice’s “great” singers are too grating to me to listen to. Caroline’s voice is like nails on a chalkboard to be but she is seen as soooo talented – and she is only one example to me. I would take a Kree, Candice or Angie any day over the supposed “great” people on the voice.

Comment by jules – April 17, 2013 10:13 AM PDT
          • Well, no. But you know exactly what Jules was saying. The Voice, despite its hype and ratings has produced nowhere near a sing star. Where Idol has produced many. To its embarrassment, Adam was once asked why and he said, who cares? He went on to say it doesn’t matter if anyone from the Voice ever becomes a singing star (!)

Comment by Owen – April 17, 2013 01:35 PM PDT
          • ^^^hahahahaha, that’s even funnier. lol.

Comment by Terry – April 17, 2013 01:37 PM PDT
          • To elaborate… Idol has produced only 2 what I would consider really successful in the music biz (Kelly and Carrie) stars in twelve seasons.That’s like less than 2 percent of all top ten contestants since idol started. That’s nothing for them to brag about, at least I don’t think it is. Besides, if we’re talking about which show is more entertaining then I agree with Adam, who cares what happens afterwards!

Comment by Terry – April 17, 2013 01:47 PM PDT
          • @ Terry – at least Idol has produced talent that has been played on the radio and sold records. Kelly and Carrie are mega stars! There are only a couple dozen or so of them on the radio AT ALL today so not fair to consider moderate success a failure because they never reached that height of stardom. Lots of people in the world know about Jennifer Hudson, Daughtry, Katherine McPhee, Phillip Phillips, Adam Lambert, David Cook, Kellie Pickler, Clay Aiken, Jordin Sparks and Fantasia. How many people who don’t watch the Voice know ANY of the contestants?

Comment by Joline – April 18, 2013 02:38 PM PDT
      • I think from this season, Candice can kick their asses vocally. Not to mention contestants from the other seasons.

Comment by Justin – April 16, 2013 08:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Candice is a wonderful singer. But her likeability factor is close to 5 on a 1 to 10 scale and I haven’t been compelled to watch AI because of this. And also because the song choice AI seems ancient mainly because of the terrible arrangements.

Comment by Davey – April 16, 2013 09:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • AI is boring this year. With the exception of Candice, none of them emotionally connect with me.

Comment by Lee – April 17, 2013 12:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Candice isn’t boring?!? I challenge that statment.

Comment by ZzZzZz – April 17, 2013 01:39 PM PDT
        • She certainly did last week — but before that no. She has been a little weak on the notes and pretty squeechy. Last week she nailed it, but . . .

Comment by Watherly – April 17, 2013 05:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • If either Josiah or the hunky fireman were on AI this season I’ll bet they would be in the Top 5 (and not necessarily for their talent :-) )

Comment by The Beach – April 16, 2013 10:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The season one winner got no post-show support from The Voice (and Dia Frampton ended up selling more albums than him). The season two winner’s album got delayed after his single (which completely ruined his natural singing voice with manufactured music) bombed. Cassadee’s working on her album right now and it sounds like she’s got a lot of label support for a push. She’s even getting her own show about making her album.

Comment by Zod – April 17, 2013 12:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • @ Zod- Thanks for the update. I had wondered what happened to her. Good for her. I’m glad she’s getting support. If a label buries ya, it doesn’t matter how good ya sing. Conversely, if they push ya enough, like a lot of the pop stars out now, it doesn’t matter how bad ya sing or in some cases, even if ya can sing.

Comment by Danny – April 17, 2013 01:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She is recording her album. I won’t judge her career until it actually starts.

Comment by Dan – April 16, 2013 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like tonight’s episode. The highlight was saved for the end and it ended on a happy note with Caroline Glaser winning the battle to stay on- even though she lost the battle. I found it very entertaining.

Comment by Graham – April 16, 2013 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Was it me or did Danielle have white braces on her teeth? I remember she had a cute crooked tooth in the Blinds – looks like she decided to get it fixed.

Comment by Kstar – April 16, 2013 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Invisaligns probably.

Comment by T – April 16, 2013 09:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think they only showed the Police song because Usher got upset with those 2 in the practice song. The one was brutal (Jeff) and the other one average (Josiah). This is the first battle round that belonged over on American Idol.
    I thought the Danielle vs Caroline was a tough one. I had a hunch by what Adam was saying that he was going to steal which ever one Blake didn’t pick. So that made me feel better because I liked them both a lot. Danielle is unusual because I generally don’t care for kids on these shows. I mean that as in their singing. I wish em all well in their lives.
    I wish they’d have shown more of “If I was a Boy” than “Roxanne.” That one looked like it would have been pretty good if it got more air time.

Comment by Danny – April 16, 2013 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Will you stop complaining about idol? Why even watch the show if you don’t like it?

Comment by Dan – April 16, 2013 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’d love Idol to be left completely out of the comments since I don’t watch it. However wanting and getting are 2 different things. :-)

Comment by Jan1 – April 17, 2013 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Funny how you care enough about American Idol to even mention it. Shows how big of a show it is in your life. The talent in general is way better on idol. Candice, Kelly, Carrie, Jennifer, Joshua, and Jessica are way better than anybody on the Voice.

Comment by Justin – April 16, 2013 08:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • @ Justin- Yea, I def. care about Idol. I want it to be good. I’d take Candice off your list, keep the rest you listed, and add a whole lot more. The one exception to anyone on the Voice would be Amanda Brown. She can hang w/ pretty much anyone. I think a few more from this year will join her in what would be a Top 25 from AI + Voice type list.
        I make no bones about enjoying Idol a lot. I wish it were a better season this year.
        As for the comparisons, these are 2 similar show blogs written by the same author. I’ve always felt they went together.There’s a lot of the same audience to both.
        @ Dan- Maybe a bit to much complaining this year about it. I didn’t mean to rile anyone up though. Sorry about that. I’m not expecting ya to go back & look at any archives, but most of my posts about Idol last year (the singers, not judges) were pretty upbeat. I thought the top 7 last year was all very good.

Comment by Danny – April 17, 2013 01:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Caroline, Danielle, Josiah, and Jeff were all really great. I actually thought that Michael easily beat Warren out based on pure vocals, but maybe Adam went with Warren because he’s more of the “whole package” (read: hotter and less old). As for the brief snippets, I don’t know that I am all that obsessed with Grace, but I thought Jamila sounded amazing and yet somehow still lost to Audrey whats-her-name.

Comment by Jake – April 16, 2013 07:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So is “less old” a new way of saying “younger”??? Haha!

Comment by T – April 16, 2013 09:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah – it was probably more of a factor that Michael was too old than that Warren was some kind of ideal age :-D

Comment by Bella – April 16, 2013 10:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If they can’t show all of the contestants all of the time, they should reduce the number of contestants to start with! It’s not fair to them to just show snippets like, “oh so and so performed too and here is who was picked”. Also, Caroline’s and Danielle’s voices are too different to be singing that song together. However, they both are so GOOD!

Comment by G-Mom – April 16, 2013 07:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. Who are they to decide which contestants don’t deserve a full battle segnment? Not everybody enjoys every single contestant that’s why it would be nice if everyone got equal airtime so even if we have to sit through the people we don’t like we still get a chance to enjoy the ones we do like. I had to sit through that Garrett kids battle round (I never really liked his voice) but I don’t get to see Grace Askew’s battle round which I was looking forward to. Its really unfair.

Comment by A – April 16, 2013 07:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nobody said it was supposed to be fair.

Comment by Jan1 – April 17, 2013 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The recapping is completely out of hand on this show. I understand the need for it at the beginning and the end of the show but the rest of the recapping in between is so annoying. Its like they think we’re stupid and we have to be reminded every 5 minutes what happened. Can’t stand Carson Daly.

Anyways, happy that Caroline was stolen. I really enjoyed both Danielle and her performance.

Comment by A – April 16, 2013 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s exactly what made me stop watching last season. And then you have to fast forward, rewind, repeat constantly for the 2 seconds of actual new footage and a minute and a half performance. Meanwhile, if they dropped some of the recapping, then maybe we would get to see every performance.

Comment by sam – April 17, 2013 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Actually, no. I take that back. That’s what made me stop watching EVERY season, until the last few episodes.

Comment by sam – April 17, 2013 06:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVED Caroline & Danielle together, it didn’t even really feel like a battle which was oddly refreshing. their voices blended when they were supposed to & stood out when they were supposed to. And it looked like they were having so much fun!! I think Adam is the right coach for Caroline, a little more in her wheelhouse.

Comment by Maggie – April 16, 2013 08:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just really loved Caroline and Danielle’s battle. I was smiling, clapping, and just being a huge dork throughout the whole battle. I’m really glad that they were both able to advance. They are both just so cute and talented, and just really super likable.

Comment by Snow – April 16, 2013 08:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s pretty well said. I thought they were the best 2 of the night. On one hand too bad they were in the same battle. On the other I’m def. glad they both went through. You nailed it w/ they’re both so likable.

Comment by Danny – April 17, 2013 01:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ya, Blake was really kicking himself for that, as well he should!

Comment by Terry – April 17, 2013 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • On a shallow note, Josiah is so, SO pretty. But I find his style of singing irritating. He does this thing where he messes with the pronunciation of the last word in the lyric (e.g., “Drivin’ slow on Sunday morn-nehn, I never want to laaay-ve”), or he cuts off the end of a word (“Roxanne, you don’t have to put on the red lighh-”). Of course, I still like him to an extent (I liked both Josiah and Jeff after their blind auditions), but I definitely think that Jeff out-sang him tonight.

Also, I agree with another commenter above who said that Usher makes poor song choices. He picked “You Know I’m No Good” for Jess and Taylor, neither of whom have the maturity or artistry for that song, and “Roxanne” wasn’t a good fit for Josiah nor Jeff. I imagine it would be hard to showcase your talents as a singer when you’re given a song that does nothing to help you or isn’t compatible with your style.

Comment by ES – April 16, 2013 09:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with this post. Not everyone is able to “sing the phonebook”. Judges’ song choices are a big deal.

Comment by The Beach – April 16, 2013 10:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t you think his pronunciation of the last word is a southern thing? I know some people from the South who talk like that. They seem to emphasize the beginning of the word. For example, they’ll say JU-ly.

Comment by Lee – April 17, 2013 12:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thing is, Josiah doesn’t have a Southern accent when he talks. The mispronunciation thing is a very contrived effect. Watch his blind audition, maybe you’ll see what I mean.

Comment by ES – April 17, 2013 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • caroline glaser could win the whole thing with adam.

Comment by Lo – April 16, 2013 09:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In my opinion, blake would choose danielle it was because danielle was definitely his type, but i felt that caroline could go all the way.

Comment by Joshua – April 16, 2013 09:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was disappointed not to be able to see all the battles this week, particularly Tawnya vs. Mark as I loved both of their blind auditions. (RIP Trevor and Jamila – both montaged twice, less than 30 seconds of screen time apiece.) All the time wasted on recapping is really irksome.

To the battles we actually saw – Josiah vs. Jeff and Warren vs. Michael were both a total waste of time from a “who’s going to go far in the competition” standpoint. None of these guys were all that great. I agreed with the coaches’ picks in both, but there’s not much else to say.

Caroline vs. Danielle was the only battle that I think even began to approach the greatness of yesterday’s matchups (Amber vs. Sasha, Judith vs. Karina, and Garrett vs. J’Sun were three of the best battle round performances ever, in my opinion). I think Blake made a poor choice from a strategic standpoint. He’s loaded down with country singers as it is, and Caroline has a gorgeous tone. I like Danielle, too, though, and I’m happy both girls advanced.

Comment by ES – April 16, 2013 11:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anyone think if Christina were on this season, Caroline would be the contestant she gives backhanded disinterested compliments to, like praising the set design instead of her performance?

Comment by Zod – April 17, 2013 01:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, another reason why I’m glad Christina isn’t on the show, Caroline reminds me of Melanie because they both have a really unique tone but are not particularly strong singers (I do really like both of them though, Melanie was actually my favorite last season)

Comment by Maris – April 17, 2013 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If I were a contestant who was young and hopeful I’d be scared of Usher. I’d be scared because his work ethic is light years ahead, and I wouldn’t understand that. BUT as a twenty something and above with singing talent I’d go running to his team. He knows what it takes to be both an artist and performer – Bieber discovery or not (not really a fan on Bieb’s). I can clearly see why he’d get irritated with the laughter and understood why he chose Josiah. This is work and fun. Work off stage, fun on stage as long as you are interpreting the song for it’s worth.

I was also confused with Blake’s comment about Caroline being a singer/songwriter and not knowing what to do with that… Um Blake what are you? is what I said out loud…

Comment by Chris – April 17, 2013 03:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Julia Stiles’ little sis? No way. She looks uncannily like Rachel Bilson’s younger sister.

Comment by DL – April 17, 2013 07:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ah, thank you! It was really bothering me I couldn’t think of who the heck she reminded me of, and it def wasn’t Julia Stiles.

Comment by Terry – April 17, 2013 08:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish that if the battle round was terrible they could kick off both singers and get an extra steal. Josiah & Jeff were both horrible and don’t deserve to be into the next round when Christian and J’Sun were both kicked off Monday!

I loved Danielle and Caroline, happy they both got to stay.

The more they show of Usher, the less I like him. He just seems so full of himself, like his smile alone is enough to win people over. I appreciate that he’s trying to get them to work hard in practice, but I think he needs to work with them more on their actual singing than if they’re “drawing you in”. Caroline was smart to go with Adam!

Comment by Rain – April 17, 2013 07:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Josiah and Jeff were too busy performing (mugging) to properly interpret. You’re trying to get your girlfriend to stop selling her body you two wing nuts, it’s nothing to smile about! And for pity’s sake, when is somebody going to learn true vocal power does not come from how loud you produce the note?

Comment by Kiki – April 17, 2013 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t really like country and he’s not the strongest vocalist, but Warren comes off as really likeable to me, so I voted for him. Plus, I (strangely) find him kinda hot…

Comment by Vetle – April 17, 2013 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Actually, Caroline Glaser is a dead ringer for Rachel Bilson!

Comment by PinBox – April 17, 2013 10:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think that someone in the production crew should remove some songs from the choice list that the coaches chose from. I think I prefer Juliet’s version of Roxanne even over the original. for sure no other artist should ever try to cover it again. mixing in some wacky way, maybe, but no attempt to re sing it ever, no way it will be anywhere near as good.

Comment by STM – April 17, 2013 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The show loses me at this point. I hate the battle rounds. Contrived, and not designed to put the most promising and interesting talents through. Moreover, the performance is unnatural for most of them as they singing a song picked by someone else, and they’re supposed to harmonize with musically with someone they’re trying to beat in the very performance. It’s the kind of “dramatic twist” that puts the importance of the talent in third place behind the celebrities’ egos and the trumped up melodrama. It’s too bad, because they get some great or at least interesting singers on this show relegated to the background by the format.

Comment by syb – April 17, 2013 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I listened to (the previews of) all the studio versions thus far on iTunes. And may I just say… Audrey sounds absolutely horrid. Either she’s a lot better live, OR Jamila was even worse, OR Usher made a colossal mistake.

Comment by EM – April 17, 2013 08:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really have liked Usher so far right up to this move. It’s called nervous laughter jackass. It it’s really crappy and a cheap shot to jump on someone for laughing in such a tense situation.

Comment by Matt – April 22, 2013 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think there’s something we’re not being told about the Audrey Karrasch vs. Jamila Thompson battle that we were prevented from seeing. This may have something to do with why it wasn’t aired. It was sooooo obvious that Usher had the hots for Audrey and is probably why he put her through when arguebly Jamila was better, especially since Audrey said so herself. I think the reason this battle (which is the one I wanted to see most) wasn’t aired has to do with some awkwardness around this battle/decision. I’m pissed I didn’t get to see that battle. The snipnet was totally unsatisfying. And I agree wholeheartedly with those who say valuable air time is being wasted with the numerous recaps. What do they think we are, imbociles?

Comment by Jan – April 24, 2013 12:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i like danielle her voice is so beautiful and uniqe in a way i think she can win this and vito

Comment by tshyra – May 1, 2013 11:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post