Ratings: CBS' Monday Comedies Down; Sunday's Thrones Hits Series High, Mad Men Falls

Ratings 2 Broke Girls, The VoiceCBS’ Monday line-up was down across the board — and an NBC news special led its 10 o’clock time slot — on a night featuring atypical viewership due to news coverage of the Boston Marathon bombings.

How I Met Your Mother opened The Eye’s night with an audience of 6.6 million total viewers and a 2.6 demo rating, dipping 6 percent and a tenth from its last fresh outing. Leading out of that, Rules of Engagement (6.1 mil/2.0) slipped two tenths to a season low.

Come 9 pm, 2 Broke Girls (7.5 mil/2.3) dropped 14 and 23 percent to an all-time demo low, as did Mike & Molly (7.65 mil/2.2, down 15 percent). Hawaii Five-0‘s “prequel” episode capped CBS’ run with 7.65 mil/1.8, down 11 and 14 percent, matching a series-low demo and placing third in the 10 o’clock hour.

On ABC, Dancing With the Stars drew 13.4 mil/2.2, ticking up a tenth, while Castle (10.4 mil/2.1) dipped 12 percent and a tenth. (Sorry folks, no recap this week, busy with Dallas. Anything good happen…?)

RELATED | The Voice Recap: A ‘Battle’ at the Better-Than-OK Corral

NBC’s The Voice opened Battle Rounds with 14.3 mil and a 5.1, up 2 percent week-to-week and hitting its best numbers since March 12. NBC’s news special drew 8.9 mil/3.1.

RELATED | The Following Recap: Lawman on the Lam

Fox’s Bones (6.5 mil/1.9) and The Following (6.4 mil/2.1) each ticked down a tenth. The CW’s Oh Sit! returned to 1.1 mil and a 0.4, attracting a few more viewers than The Carrie Diaries. 90210 was flat with 560K/0.2.

RELATED | Dallas Season Finale Recap: The J.R. Mystery Is Solved — Plus: Did Pam Ewing Return?

And a few Sunday notes: HBO’s Game of Thrones drew an all-time high audience of 4.7 million viewers, up from the season opener’s 4.4 mil (and amassing 5.8 mil across multiple airings). Veep’s Season 2 premiere led out of that with 1.2 million viewers, up 11 percent from its freshman finale and its second-most watched episode ever. Over on AMC, after kicking off its sixth season with 3.4 million viewers, Mad Men dropped in Week 2 to 2.7 million.

Want scoop on any of the above shows? Email mattmtvguy@gmail.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Betty says:

Welcome back Matt, missed you last week.
    I ended up really enjoying both Bones and Castle last night. They both kept my interest for the entire episodes.
    I was so saddened by the tragedy in Boston. It was a tough day.

2. Ames says:

well I guess it was a good decision by NBC to air a Special on the bombing instead of revolution. No way would revolution gotten those numbers

• Elyse says:

and what NBC show in the 10pm slot gets those kind of ratings?

• Trent says:

Honestly, what 10 PM show on ANY network gets those kind of numbers? Even a big hit like Scandal only gets in the high 2’s in the 18-49 demo.

And yay for The Voice! Just like the Fall edition, the ratings are NOT dropping after the Blind Auditions. Last night’s battles — especially the Judith vs. Karina closer — were awesome. It’s no wonder the final half hour of The Voice hit 15+ million and a 5.8 in the demo,,,

• Elyse says:

woah the Voice did a 5.8!! that’s insane. I don’t watch singing competition shows but if I did the Voice would be the one I watch!

3. Elena says:

Last night’s Castle was a nice relief from the tragedy of the day: fun, lighthearted, and even a bit romantic. It was definitely a much-needed escape. :)

4. A says:

A game show beat 90210 that is so funny!

5. Speaking of Sunday’s cable ratings, does anybody know the status of Nurse Jackie? I can’t find it anywhere.

6. Alberto says:

What do I do if the shows I wanted to watch were preempted in my area? How do I watch them? Will I have to go online or will they air again on tv?

• TV Gord says:

This may not help you this time, but it might for next time. Usually, if shows are preempted locally, they are run in late night, after the talk shows. If I don’t see a scrawl across the screen or a notification elsewhere, I usually record all night and find the preempted shows there. I hope this helps for next time.

• Alberto says:

Thank you that was very helpful! I will keep that in mind for the future but hopefully this won’t happen too often my DVR can’t handle recording all night lol

• Elyse says:

CRAP I thought last nights Revolution being preempted meant they would push last nights episode to next week. is that now how it works?

• TV Gord says:

Yes, Revolution was preempted on the full network last night, so that episode will air next week.

7. Anna says:

Last night’s Castle was hilarious and also really cute!

8. Boiler says:

Know it was an odd night but hopefully this is the best Oh Sit does!!!

9. Melanie says:

The Comedies were pre-empted here for News Coverage… never saw anything new here last night.

• Alberto says:

Same thing to happened to me! No shows were playing on the major networks because it was all news coverage. So what do we do to watch them? Do we have to watch it online or will it be on tv again?

10. Terry says:

That’s great for The Voice! I’m really enjoying this season.

11. David4 says:

The Castle episode was nothing special, but a lot of fun.

12. Sg. Grant says:

I’m curious to see the Defiance ratings when they come out later.

13. Jana says:

I wish revolution was on last night I always look forward to it.

14. YowzaPowza says:

How did Defiance do?

15. Lena says:

You can’t really count these ratings bc they didn’t broadcast any shows here in MA for obvious reasons. I wonder what other states didn’t broadcast either. My heart goes out to all the families and friends who have been affected by this tragic event. I am still in a daze that someone could do this to our city on such a peaceful joyous day. When will all the violence stop?

16. yless says:

Mad Men deserves to be down, it used to be much more gripping, even if it was always on the slow side.The first two episodes this season has been painfully slow, repetitive, Don again cheating and being extremely smug and a jerk, hope it gets better.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

I have mixed emotions. You’re not wrong with your comments. It does feel like Mad Men is leaving its golden age, and maybe it deserves to have lost its place with its Emmy crown and its favor with the critics. But then part of me says, well, isn’t that point to the series? The characters are leaving the golden age of their lives to enter the turbulence and uncertainty of the late 60s. I totally see why Weiner is going the direction he’s going with Don returning to cheating, because Don can’t change. Everything is changing around him, but he can’t change. So would it have a good way to go to have him be faithful and happy? I don’t think it would have been. I think it would have been boring, like it was last season. However, I do think Mad Men isn’t quite as good as it used to be. For me it’s too many characters, too many side stories, too much Megan.

17. DK says:

The WBZ primetime shows were on WSBK 38 (that’s what WBZ does for a ton of different stuff pretty often actually). The WCVB shows were on METV (which is on all sorts of different channels depending on if you’re watching it OTA, 5.1, or on Cable… Don’t know what happened to FOX25, but it looks like the Bones epi can be seen in a number of places, and… I have no idea what NBC was doin’ ’cause I don’t watch many of their shows these days….

But for CBS and ABC, they probably won’t take into account those numbers right?

I hope that it’s never needed again, but just for future reference…

18. Mima says:

Yay!! Brennan caught the flowers… Lovely ep!! =)

19. Luu says:

You missed one hell of an episode, Matt. Castle was so cute and so romantic. There’s one line of the episode that’s amazing but I won’t spoil for you. You’ll know when you hear it.

20. Klover. says:

Last night’s Castle was really fun. It being Bigfoot-themed I was kinda eh about, but I’ve been surprised by the other similar “out there” eps and this was no exception. Funny with some really great Caskett moments. Their “what do you believe in?” talk was especially sweet :) (LOVED the Coltrane bit on both sides of their discussion).
    But, um, what is *with* Alexis?! Girl needs a weekend job before she does anything weirder than stealing from her father and lying about it. It’s getting harder every week to find reasons to like her character.

21. Mari says:

Lots of good stuff on Castle last night!

22. mia says:

The scheduling of 2 Broke Girls is so eratic. I honestly have no idea when there is a new episode. And I pay attention to this stuff; think about the millions of people who don’t! Frustrating.

23. Kjess says:

Considering the entire Boston market only showed local news coverage, this is not surprising.