Vince Vaughn Hosts Saturday Night Live: Watch Video of the Best and Worst Sketches!

Vince Vaughn Saturday Night LiveFor the first time since 1998 (remember when he was still that fresh-faced, breakout star of Swingers and The Lost Word: Jurassic Park?), Vince Vaughn returned this week to host Saturday Night Live. That’s a lifetime between hosting gigs, and it struck me as curious that he’d gone so long between trips to Studio 8H.

Alas, unlike what we saw from Melissa McCarthy last week, a strong monologue ultimately didn’t translate into a laugh-laden show. Because after a strong, confident start, Vaughn lost the plot (was it the cue cards?) in a big, big way. Choosing only two “worst” skits was a very challenging task, but let’s start with the upside, shall we?

BEST: Opening Monologue
A few moments in, I cringed that Vaughn’s seemingly spontaneous foray into the audience seemed certain to be a Psycho-remake sized mistake. But midway into his first interview with a random audience member, Vaughn started winning me over. “I’m just gonna put it out there, I like your face,” he mused to one woman, before adding, “if I look out in the audience, and you are daydreaming…you’re gonna put this tall drink of water into a tailspin.” He then confiscated a cell phone from a very nervous guy (“Have you been drinking?”) before ejecting a seemingly innocent, white-bearded older gent (“there’s a darkness inside that man, there’s a scary energy…guys, we’re not about that tonight!”) altogether. Vaughn’s clearly non-scripted pep talk was an amusing, promising — and yet ultimately fleeting — start.

BEST: Gun Control Cold Open
The oh-so-timely and on-target cold open on the gun control debate mercilessly mocked both parties, and harkened back to SNL‘s glory days of highly astute — and often hilarious — political commentary. Jay Pharoah’s Barack Obama opened with an update on the progress of a bi-partisan agreement: “They’ve agreed to think about talking about gun control. Amazing!” Then as Senators Joe Manchin and Patrick Toomey, Jason Sudeikis and Bill Hader brilliantly deadpanned their way through a slew of memorable — and painfully relevant — lines (“Is this bill what we wanted? No. Is it what the NRA wanted? No. But does it at least help in some small way? No.”) that deliciously skewered the sad state of D.C. politics.

HONOROABLE MENTION: The History of Punk
Top-notch production, Fred Armisen as a Johnny Rotten-type rocker who loves
Margaret Thatcher (“You’re a very special lady”) and a special appearance by Sex
Pistols’ guitarist Steve Jones highlighted this unexpected almost-gem chronicling
the history of “Ian Rubbish And The Bizarros.”

WORST: North Side Junior High School Prom Sketch
Painfully obvious cue card reading (at least occasionally attempt to avert your eyes back to the on-stage action, Vince!), flubbed lines, pointless dialogue and some random man-on-man dancing were the ‘highlights’ of this incredibly painful attempt to mine comedy gold from those embarrassing school-dance days.

WORST: Last Call at Donnelly’s Pub
Confusing, disturbing, if not downright baffling from start to finish, this epic disaster featured so many eek-worthy visuals — I’m still trying to forget Vaughn french-kissing Kate McKinnon’s poor little nose, yikes! — that I went to the happy place half way through. This McKinnon line pretty much sums it up: “I fear if we attempted intercourse, it would be like trying to get a ripe banana into a rusty key hole.” Say what?

What did you think of this week’s SNL? Did Vaughn delight (or disappoint) as this week’s host? What did you think were the best and worst sketches? Sound off in the comments!

1. Vince Vaughn was a disappointment. SNL better book Peter Dinklage as host and if it does, maybe he’s thinking about hosting for Season 39.

2. Heidi says:

The monologue was so clever, I thought the rest of the show would follow suit. Unfortunately, it didn’t. I haven’t fast-forwarded through so many skits in a while.

3. Marianne says:

The monologue was too long. It almost seemed like they knew they had nothing really great this week, so it was extra long.

4. Ruby says:

I generally try to stay positive when commenting because there’s enough negativity out there from everyone else, but I thought it was terrible start to finish. I actually thought the monologue was the *worst* part of the whole thing. The only time I laughed through the entire show was the “Monkey Lady” bit during the news. Otherwise, this entire episode was a bust. I don’t understand why they’re going back to performers who were popular 10 years ago when there is gold out there to be mined. Zachary Quinto has a wicked funny streak and should have hosted this show years ago. Jane Lynch. Mindy Kaling. Joel McHale. John Krasinski. Hell, even Jared & Jensen from Supernatural are both hysterical guys in real life and way more current than Vince Vaughn. I just don’t get it.

• Steven says:

With the exception of the Jensen and Jared comment (and that’s possibly because I’m still riding Dean-was-a-schmuck-on-Gilmore-Girls), I’m going to agree with every last thing you said, Ruby. I hated the monologue, and I like your suggestions for hosts.

Honestly, when Jamie Foxx hosted after Django, I started wondering if it was the worst SNL since Lorne Michaels came back to the helm. Now I think it’s not even the worst of the season. Way to go, SNL!

• Ruby says:

Aw, if you’re still picturing Jared from Gilmore Girls, you’ve missed out. He’s a great person and really, ridiculously funny in real life, especially when he and Jensen are together. They’re like Laurel & Hardy, seriously. The blooper reels from the SPN DVDs alone are worth looking up, even if you don’t watch the show. They are honestly two of the funniest people I’ve ever seen.

• canadian ninja says:

Jess was the schmuck. Dean was a dream. Of course by the end they were all kind of idiots.

• Steven says:

Dean was a petulant child and an adulterer. Jess was a tool, but he and Rory were good for each other.

• TT says:

Great points, Ruby. And what about MERYL STREEP? Hah. She appeared on 30 Rock once but I guess even Tina Fey can’t convince her to host for the first time.

I feel sorry for Tim Robinson. I think that Tesh brothers sketch was his final chance to make an impression and it didn’t happen. Maybe he’ll work better in a sitcom.

• andy j says:

Jane Lynch did host a few years ago-and she was HILARIOUS. Her Phyllis Diller-like turn on “The Secret Word” was fantastic. She was a great host.

• Ruby says:

Ah, I thought maybe she had, but I didn’t remember for sure.

• Steven says:

I’m STILL laughing Jane Lynch on the Emmys, with her amazing line, “Sometimes, people ask me why I’m a lesbian. Ladies and gentlemen, the cast of ‘Entourage.'”

• KevyB says:

I have never gotten Vince Vaughn. He constantly acts like he’s the funniest person in the room, yet he’s rarely funny, which makes him actually LESS funny. He’s like those comedians who tell unfunny jokes and then go “Is this thing on??”, totally multiplying the unfunny.

5. Stephanie says:

The Monologue and the Al Pacino sketch were the best. The prom one was the worst.

• Caryn says:

I agree with you completely. The only other one I thought was interesting was the Thatcher one..not as painful to watch as the others…

6. John Grose says:

It’s sad when the commercials they air during the show are more entertaining than the show itself. Aside from the monolog, sigh. Just sigh.

John

7. Whatever says:

The “Gun Control Opening ” was hilarious and sadly truthful.
    As far as Vince Vaughn goes ….
    Wait ANOTHER 15 years before his next invite.

• Ruby says:

Seriously about Vince Vaughn. He was never that funny to begin with, but he’s completely irrelevant now. I can’t believe he’s been able to ride his fame from Swingers for this long.

8. Kathy says:

Stink, Stank, Stunk with the exception of Ian Rubbish And The Bizarros

9. Eli says:

History of Punk was terrible and offensive. They were saying it was ridiculous that he hated everybody but loved Thatcher. Prime Minister Thatcher was an amazingly smart, strong, and confident woman that was a blessing to the world. She was an amazing partner for Reagan and we need more people like them in politics today to get us out of the debt crisis we are in

• Ettie says:

Lol. You almost had me for a minute. Subtle.

• JBJ says:

The History of Punk sketch was meant to honor Thatcher, and reflect how transcendent she’s become since the early days of her administration. It was supposed to be ridiculous because HISTORICALLY SPEAKING punks were VERY opposed to Thatcherite and Reganite government. The Tories were seen as oppressors to the working class and punks were very, very vocal about it in their music. It was meant to be touching that he couldn’t hold her politics against her, because she was that cool.

• Whatever says:

The sad truth of the matter is that Reagan wouldn’t be elected by his own party in this day and age.
      He raised taxes on more than one occasion and worked with Democrats in a bypartisan effort to find solutions that would best serve the country and not just his own party.
      To bad the Republicans praise of the Reagan legacy is only lip service instead of emulation.

10. Toia says:

I wasn’t going to watch this week there is just something a out Vince Vaughn than puts me off but I thought its SNL and last week was pretty decent. I should have stuck with my first impression. I didn’t like anything other than the Margret thatcher tribute.

11. Ettie says:

I wonder if SNL writers have no talent or if perhaps morale is so bad there they just don’t care.

12. TA says:

just terrible and last episode with Melissa was equally terrible, just bad sketches not their faults

• Steven says:

Well, with Melissa McCarthy, there were a lot of terrible sketches, but she put a lot of effort into it and even some of the bad sketches were kind of enjoyable for it. Vince Vaughn phoned it in. (He also just seems really smarmy; I get the feeling that, if I ever met him, I’d want to wash my hands after.)

13. al shapiro says:

You’ve got to be kidding me, Vince was HORRIBLE and the writers are the worst, Thank Go-D I DVR’d the show and was able to quickly view it in a few digusting minutes and then DELETE it. Sat Night Live, you DIED years ago, there’s no way to graciously leave now, JUST STOP, PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. That monologue was not funny. That was like a talk show warm-up comedian on a bad night.

15. GeezerDave says:

A let- down was expected after the Melissa McCarthy’s best-of-season turn last week, but geez this was bad! WU, the Bizarros and the soap spoof were the hi- lights. Can’t wait for Zach Galifianakis’ return next month!

16. sharrie says:

don’t blame vaughn, the other actors were reading cue cards too, and skits were dull. Loved the monologue, and vaughn returned the cell at the end was hilarious. First 10 minutes A+, rest INLCLUDING weekend update were an ‘F’.

17. After the JT and McCarthy Episode I had hope that maybe the series was on the up, then there was Vince Vaughan….As comparable to Lindsay Lohan…..

The opening Monologue felt like a stage act of a cheap magician you get to see in Vegas free with your booking. Vince said he hadn’t been there since 1998, maybe he should have stayed there.

18. KenM says:

I thought the “Stormy Skies” Weather Channel soap opera was pretty funny. I’ll take that any day over another “The Californians”.

19. Alienate says:

Most pathetic show of the last 5 years.

20. Nikki says:

I thought the Stormy Skies skit was decent. And any time Bill Hader breaks is pretty good – the short term memory play at least had me laughing.

21. Danielle H. says:

wow… just wow. what a let down!!!

22. Mike says:

This was the worst one all season, and I’m including the one with Kevin what’s his name.

23. Sonia Gignac says:

One of the worst SNL episodes ! BOOORING!!!