TVLine Items: Girl Meets World Adds Sister, Sister Fave, Newsroom Season 2 Premiere Set and More

Girl Meets World Cast Jackee HarryGirl Meets World is staging a TGIF reunion.

Jackée Harry — whose sitcom Sister, Sister aired alongside Boy Meets World during ABC’s early ’90s programming block — has joined the buzzy Disney pilot in a top-secret role, HuffPost TV reports.

RELATED | Girl Meets World: 7 Possible Story Ideas!

The Boy Meets World sequel project — aka The Greatest Pilot of All Time — centers on Riley (played by Rowan Blanchard), the teenage daughter of Cory and Topanga Matthews (Ben Savage and Danielle Fishel, respectively). The project also co-stars William Daniels as the beloved Mr. Feeny and Teo Halm as the couple’s son.

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…

• HBO’s polarizing TV journalism drama The Newsroom is set to launch its second season on July 14.

• Now that General Hospital‘s 50th Anniversary soiree and the Nurses Ball has come and gone, which Port Charles vets are sticking around — and which are on their way out? For starters, head writer Ron Carlivati tells TV Guide Magazine that Lucy Coe isn’t going anywhere. “I adore Lynn Herring,” he gushes. “She brings humor and warmth and so much heart to the show, so I don’t want her to go anywhere… I think Lucy is already planning next year’s Nurses Ball!” In other casting news, Frisco (Jack Wagner) is off the grid for now, Bobbie (Jackie Zeman) will be exiting with “a wonderful capper” and Brenda (Vanessa Marcil) is staying put — at least through her current Michael/Sonny/Carly arc. Kin Shriner’s Scotty, meanwhile, has only just begun to tangle with Luke and Laura.

RELATED | General HospitalOne Life to Live Actors Return in New Roles

• American Idol champ Fantasia Barrino is returning to the Fox series on April 18, EW.com reports, to perform her new single “Lose To Win.”

• History is developing a Revolutionary War-set miniseries. Per The Hollywood Reporter, Sons of Liberty follows a group of young radicals — including Samuel Adams, John Hancock, John Adams, Paul Revere, Patrick Henry and Benedict Arnold — banding together to change history.

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

1. kate says:

excited for Girl Meets World and The Newsroom. great news!

2. Jen says:

Thanks for the GH scoop! I was wondering who would be staying in town!

3. Sally says:

The Newsroom! Cannot wait.

4. Julie says:

So happy about Lynn sticking around! I have a feeling KA will be brought to the canvas as Serena Baldwin

• Kira says:

I think so too!! I can see Roger Howarth as a Cassadine. Not sure about Michael Easton. Some people are speculating he’s coming back as a relative of Caleb Morely.

5. Elyse says:

Sons of Liberty sounds good!

6. Andy says:

I’m not unhappy that Jackée Harry is going to be in the pilot; I just wish it was a returning cast member instead.

7. Mark says:

Omg that’s amazing casting news. I adored her in Sister Sister and Everybody Hates Chris and the little I saw of 227 on Nick. So so pumped.

8. Can’t wait for the new season of The Newsroom on July 14th. :-)

9. Cici says:

I figured that a spinoff of Boy meets world would be terrible but the fact that they are adding Jackee just basically proves my point.

I have a strange feeling that if this mess is successful, It’s going to open the door to a possible Sister, Sister spinoff.

That would be bad, Really bad.

This is just more proof that Hollywood has gotten lazy with original ideas and chooses to resort to stunt casting and put new stickers on long dead shows.

Reboots for the most part do not work or else Melrose Place and Knight Rider would be reaching their 100th episodes next year, Instead ofbeing in the tv graveyard too soon.

• Mark says:

Dallas has been pretty successful. 90210 has has four seasons I think. Knight Rider just sucked so it’s not really fair to talk about that one. Idk what happened with Melrose.

• Chachi says:

90210 has had 5 seasons and sadly will end without a proper series finale.:(

But that got up and going because cast members from the previous show were around during the first season.

Knight Rider was a victim of the 2007/2008 WGA Strike. Even if had been a really good show, there was no way it was going to make it to S3.

I saw tons of shows that I loved and some that i could tolerate get canned because they couldn’t bounce back from the strike.

Melrose place didn’t survive because of a terrible timeslot and the horror that is Katie Cassidy’s wooden acting skills.

Okay, maybe some reboots or spinoffs work.

But the fair lot don’t survive past the first season because the fans of the previous show coming in expecting it to be the same show and leave out sorely disappointed.

It takes a lot for a reboot to survive nowadays and hair models disguised as actors mixed with recycled story arcs don’t exactly cut it.

• Will says:

The writers were told in advance that 90210 was being cancelled so that they could write a proper series finale. There are many articles out there which talk about this exact point. Besides, with the way the ratings were trending all season they would’ve been crazy not to plan ahead.

10. Tom Charles says:

“The Boy Meets World sequel project — aka The Greatest Pilot of All Time ”

Um……don’t get me wrong I’m one of the ones that loved Boy Meets World, but………that’s just WAY overboard.

11. dude says:

yeah no offense but chill it on GmW its going to be good but not THE greatest thing ever. And yes i have been a fan since ’95 and see the occasional rerun. wondering who Jackee will be.

12. Britta Unfiltered says:

I have been dying for The Newsroom to get a return date. Yay!

13. Christine says:

I’ve heard that Newsroom season 2 will have 12 episodes. Is it true?