What to Watch Thursday: Community Puppet Show, Moment Arrives, Go On Finale and More

CommunityOn TV this Thursday: Community gets felt up, The Moment arrives for some lucky Average Joes, Archer draws to a close and Go On, well, doesn’t (for now). As a supplement to TVLine’s original features (linked within), here are 10 programs to keep on your radar.

8 pm American Idol (Fox) | One of your favorite Idol alumni returns to perform – that’s right, everyone, Scotty McCreery’s back! Oh, and some Season 1 female named Kelly Clarkson will take the stage, too.

8 pm Community (NBC) | The study group takes a wild balloon ride that crashes in the woods, where the Greendale Gang winds up spending quality time with a friendly mountain man (played by Seinfeld‘s Jason Alexander). Did we mention puppets are involved? And that singer/songwriter Sarah Bareilles is also on hand?

8:30 pm Parks and Recreation (NBC) | Leslie decides to give the Animal Control Department the puppy love it needs, in the form of a much-needed makeover.

PREVIEW | Glee Season 4 Spoilers – 10 Scoopy Tidbits From This Week’s Harrowing ‘Shooting Star’ Episode

MORE PREVIEW | Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on Glee, Once, Nikita, SVU, Scandal, Grimm and More!

9 pm The Office (NBC) | Original Domestic Goddess Roseanne Barr guest-stars in an episode where the elevator breaks down, causing “Stairmaggedon” to descend upon Dunder Mifflin.

9:30 pm Go On (NBC) | Season finale: The group comes up with a plan to help/force Ryan along in his grief, but it goes awry. (Watch a sneak preview!) (Not yet renewed; find out its current status.)

PREVIEW VIDEO | Hannibal Season 1 Spoilers – A Killer Uses Victims to Harvest… Mushrooms?!

10 pm The Moment (USA Network) | Series premiere: Former NFL quarterback Kurt Warner hosts this unscripted series, which profiles ordinary people surprised with a chance to get the jobs they’ve always wanted. Tonight, Tracie Marcum has an opportunity to earn a spot as a Sports Illustrated photographer.

10 pm The Graham Norton Show (BBC America) | Season 13 premiere: Norton’s guests include Tom Cruise, Gerard Butler and Paramore.

10 pm Archer (FX) | Season finale: In the conclusion to last week’s episode, Archer and the ISIS crew go to an underwater SEA LABoratory to stop the deranged Captain M. Mad Men‘s John Hamm and Bob’s Burgers Kristen Schaal and Eugene Mirman lend their voices to the episode. (Yep, already renewed.)

10:30 pm Legit (FX) | Season finale: When the prostitute from the pilot shows up on Jim’s doorstep pregnant with Billy’s baby, Billy starts to ponder the responsibility of fatherhood. (Yep, already renewed.)

10:30 pm Nathan for You (Comedy Central) | In a special episode, Nathan aims to escape from handcuffs in under 90 seconds… or have himself registered as a sex offender for life.

Hit the comments with your must-see picks from tonight’s lineup!

1. E says:

Anyone know when Vampire Diaries is back? For some reason I was thinking it was this week, but apparently not.

2. livvy says:

American Idol
    Glee

3. kirads09 says:

The First 48
    Hannibal

4. SusieQ says:

Glee!

5. Roger says:

Community! Reminds me of the Angel episode “Smile Time.”

6. Community Puppets sounds like an idea that works better on paper than in execution. It’s “jump shark” worthy.

• Georgia Madman says:

“Smile Time” on Angel was one of the best episodes ever and it won a Hugo Award amongst other honors. But that was Joss Whedon….and not Community.

• and it was Angel (i.e. supernatural, magic, etc), not Community. If they can magically become puppets, then it jumps the shark. It’ll probably end up being a dream Abed has after hitting his head or something. It may also be a delusion. if the reasoning is sound, it may work, but it’s actually happened and we’re asked to believe that they became actual puppets, that’s one leap too far.

• dsm says:

sure, because sseing the Greendale gang in multiple timelines was all so realistic! why do you watch Community if you’re so obviously against it! it hasn’t been that great this season but I’m really excited about this episode! all fans should be :)

• I’m not against it. I like the show very much. the notion of the characters becoming puppets for real would be jumping the shark. again, it’s not like Sliders. its not like they traveled through a wormhole into those other realities.

• Meg says:

I don’t think Community ever has the potential to jump the shark–they’re so far out there in the first place that the absurdity of some episodes, which you’re correct to identify as a shark moment for other series, is simply status quo for Community. But if you think the puppet episode is worthy of jumping the shark, then what’d you think of the musical episode? Or the video game episode?

• those were grounded in reality. it’s not like the musical episode had them under a spell that forced them to communicate through song, or that in the video game episode they were transformed into digital characters that live in a video game world.

• Abby says:

Wow. You’re calling this on a show that has been able to do so many episodes that no other show has tried, and they have been successful at it. Do I really need to list all the episodes for you? The Christmas episode work, and this should too. Ye of little faith. Community is known for their special episodes.

• It will ultimately depend on context. if it’s a delusion, like the XMas episode, then fine. that would hold. but if the shows plays it like they’ve actually been turned into puppets, that would just not work.

• Abby says:

Wait. You don’t know the full synopsis of this episode do you? They are puppets because “Dean Pelton proposes that the gang works out their issues with puppet therapy.” It’s on the NBC site, and a sneak peek of him introducing puppet therapy as well.

• I can’t access Hulu videos, so I don’t bother seeking anything from NBC because that’s where they tend to be hosted, so I hadn’t seen that sneak peek. I hadn’t read the full synopsis either. Thanks for the clarification.

• Sara says:

I agree.. their previous thematic episodes were cute & quirky, but they are overdosing now

• Alan says:

so greendale becoming the setting for an action movie or 2 wasnt a potential shark jumper, or a claymation episode, or a musical episode, or an episode involving multiple timelines, or an episode done entirely as a video game. i bet if the precious dan harmon was in charge this season there would be nothing but praise for attempting this episode.

• again, the claymation episode (Abed’s perspective), the musical episode (they sang. It wasn’t like they were under a magical spell that compelled them to sing like in Buffy), and the multiple timelines (it wasn’t Sliders) didn’t involve supernatural elements that broke the laws of physics. If they were to magically transform into puppets (which was the impression i was under would be happening) THAT would jump the shark.

7. Phillip says:

Where’s the Hannibal mention?

8. Steve says:

Hannibal, Archer, POI and Elementary.

9. Community’s puppet episode. Hope Go On should get renewed for another season by NBC. Person of Interest & Elementary are back with fresh episodes two weeks from tonight (April 25th).

10. april-ann says:

With only a handful of The Office episodes left, I think I could do without any cheesy guest stars (unless maybe she’s Erin’s mother). By the way, I noticed at the beginning of last week’s ep (“Promos”) that Pam had the same hairstyle and was wearing the same frumpy type clothes as S1. Then she became fixated about some people having changed. My guess is she will realize that it’s not that some people have changed that bothers her, it’s that she hasn’t, and she will do something about it. (Although I would totally excuse a full-time working mother of two babies, this is a tv show). Also, I think the “documentary” aspect has Michael written all over it. I’m sure as more info about it comes to light I will change that thought or be proven wrong, but right now that’s how it looks to me.

11. MrJeff2000 says:

A very special episode of GLEE.

Counting the bulimia episode, that makes two this season.

Another jump the shark milestone.

12. Babybop says:

All my NBC shows tonight! Let me just take a moment to plead with NBC to keep Go On…PLEASE, NBC! DON’T CANCEL GO ON! That is all.

13. bobbie says:

Community, Parks & Rec, Hannibal, Elementary, The Daily Show

14. Steve F. says:

Idol, Glee, and Archer for me. (Hey, that rhymes!)

15. Elyse says:

just Glee for me! all of my other shows are on repeats.

16. Sara says:

Haha found out this week that almost all of my shows are ABC (or USA in the summer). Had very little to watch

17. Britt says:

Anyone happen to know when Major Crimes comes back on?

18. EatMorePez says:

I’m familiar with Jon Hamm, but who is this John Hamm you speak of?

19. Emily says:

Maybe Glee. Why do I do this to myself…

20. Andy says:

Community, Go On, Hannibal, and Glee

21. The Beach says:

Is Scandal a re-run?

22. Jaime04 says:

Glee! This episode looks intense!!

23. Yello says:

Can anyone tell me why Grey’s and Scandal aren’t on tonight? I mean come on didn’t they just have a three week hiatus.

24. Jen says:

Omg. Community was awesome tonite!

25. charles says:

The Moment, good idea, bad choice. Looks too staged and the woman pictures…really? Where is an episode of “Sliders” when you need it…LOL