Drop Dead Diva Scoop: Carter MacIntyre Poised to Exit as a New Angel Looms

Get More: Casting News, Scoop

Drop Dead Diva New AngelCarter MacIntyre is flying the Drop Dead Diva coop — and a new angel is en route to replace him!

The actor, who plays Jane’s heavenly guardian Luke, will not return to the resurrected Lifetime drama as a series regular, TVLine has learned.

RELATED | Drop Dead Diva Season 5 Spoilers — Creator Josh Berman on Renewal, Budget Cuts

While MacIntyre will appear in a limited capacity during Season 5, a gorgeous new angel named Paul will take over his role in Jane’s life.

Paul is described as having an Abercrombie-ad body and the carefree attitude of a Zen surfer. He doesn’t get human beings’ obsession with his appearance, but his good looks, coupled with his charm, make life on Earth very easy for the transplanted angel. Naturally, he is blissfully unaware that he’s not the sharpest knife in the shed.

“I’m psyched for our nationwide search to find a new angel on Drop Dead Diva,” says creator Josh Berman. “At the end of last season, Jane found herself in a terrible predicament  — having kissed Grayson at her wedding to Owen. While a new angel might try to offer Jane guidance, Jane’s not really in the mood to be managed by anyone — especially a self-obsessed angel who just wants to have a good time on Earth.”

As for the lawyer’s first guardian angel, Fred (played by Mad Men‘s Ben Feldman), Berman previously told TVLine that he “wouldn’t be surprised if we see him back” this year.

In March, Diva was plucked from the cancellation ashes and renewed by Lifetime for a surprise fifth season.

Comments (43)

• I nominate Wes Aderhold! *swoon*

Comment by slizabeth – April 10, 2013 03:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This! Aderhold has the looks, the body and can play “hot but not smart” with ease.

Comment by Luciano – April 10, 2013 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Scott michael foster from Greek

Comment by Bytes – April 11, 2013 08:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Be still my heart!

Comment by carles – April 11, 2013 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes, yes, yes!!

Comment by carles – April 11, 2013 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Would’nt Chord Overstreet, from Glee be perfect?

Comment by M.C. Miller – April 11, 2013 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well since he’s on Glee… no. He’s under contract probably.

Comment by slizabeth – April 11, 2013 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh my goodness, and here I was still mourning the loss of one of my favorite shows! I’m beyond excited… I don’t even care who the angel is.

Comment by Kristen – April 11, 2013 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can deal with that :D Sorry Luke ….. Can’t wait to see this guy LOL

Comment by Su – April 10, 2013 03:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was going to say Justin Bruening would be a good choice but Wes Aderhold has my vote too

Comment by Royal Eduardo – April 10, 2013 04:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wes is just so… I don’t know. Smoldery? He’d be really good!

Comment by slizabeth – April 11, 2013 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is a job for Trevor Donovan.

Comment by Chad Darnell – April 10, 2013 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ryan McPartlin

Comment by Andy – April 10, 2013 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes!! Ryan McPartlin would be perfect!

Comment by Crabapple – April 10, 2013 08:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This

Comment by MJ – April 11, 2013 02:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Trevor Donovan is an angel surfer

Comment by Dr.Comic – April 10, 2013 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just want Fred back.

Comment by Loren – April 10, 2013 05:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me, too!!!!!

Comment by Chloe – April 10, 2013 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too, it’s not the same without Fred.

Comment by Bellaz – April 11, 2013 04:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I loved Fred and would be happy to see him come back! But, im just so happy that Drop Dead Diva is back for season 5 that i guess its really no big deal who plays Jane’s guardian angel!!

Comment by Amanda – April 11, 2013 08:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s possible that we über prefer Fred to the other two empty characters who could never take his place, because Fred had heart and nobility and decency when it came to being there for Jane who needed emotional/psych support in life with the difficulty which arises in her unusual reincarnation experience. The qualities of Fred are the closest to depicting someone God might send to be supportive that type of weird life change. Deep down we all might love to know that’s how God loves us. Where is that reflected in Luke, except his last episode, and with this brain dead bimbo Paul? The scenes of Fred supporting Jane with heartfelt care were a highlight reflecting advanced human consciousness, and the show is lesser without them. Can someone get this feedback to Josh Berman? Ha!

Comment by Alex – December 17, 2013 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why not bring back Fred??

Comment by Emily – April 10, 2013 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was hoping a new Angel…. a GIRL maybe?

Comment by Omar – April 10, 2013 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • MacIntyer is certainly pretty, but his character was totally useless on the show.

Comment by Tarc – April 10, 2013 08:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • bring back fred!!

Comment by eva – April 10, 2013 09:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was never crazy about Luke. Though following the incredibly likable Fred wouldn’t be easy.

Comment by Tee – April 10, 2013 09:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FRED come back!

Comment by Ollie – April 11, 2013 01:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Fred

Comment by Marian Carloni – April 11, 2013 02:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with a few others, Justin Bruening is a fantastic actor, as well as good looking :)

Comment by Tanaya – April 11, 2013 08:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about Hunter Parrish who played Silas on Weeds. He embodies all of those characteristics (and he’s very easy on the eyes).

Comment by Michelle Tressler Diaz – April 11, 2013 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “. . .he is blissfully unaware that he’s not the sharpest knife in the shed.”

LOL! As are you, Vlada, as are you.

Comment by Rrrrobertttt – April 11, 2013 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ha! There is some hilarious irony for you :)

Comment by murley – April 11, 2013 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want Fred back!!

Comment by Leann – April 11, 2013 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes bring back Fred

Comment by Debbie – April 11, 2013 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Still watching for a season start date! Has anyone heard any rumors yet??

Comment by Jennifer – April 14, 2013 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the actor that plays fred is on mad men

Comment by mary anne bolick – April 18, 2013 01:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so happy that the show is coming back, it is one of my favorites.

Comment by Cindy – April 19, 2013 05:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m thrilled the show is coming back and I can’t wait to see the 5th season. This is one of my favorite shows.

Comment by kristin – April 24, 2013 06:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love this show bring fred back and let jane have her man grayson please ! When is the start date ?

Comment by diva mom – April 30, 2013 10:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought for sure Jane and Grayson would have started a serious relationship after her kiss with him on her Wedding day and the old Jane would take over Owens body……

Comment by Tina Cohn – August 10, 2013 07:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I fell in love with FRED and want him back . . . and married to Stacy!! I’ve been watching all four seasons (back to back) on Netflix; that is how I learned about this show. Now I’m hooked!! What night and time is this show on Lifetime? I hope it’s not on Tuesday or Wednesday because I watch the new Dallas on TNT on Tuesdays, and Psych on USA on Wednesday.

Comment by Gayle – August 8, 2013 11:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s funny….I just got through watching all seasons back to back also on Net flicks! I’d also like Fred to come back and marry Stacy…..but Ben Feldman is now on Madmen t.v. show.I’d also like to see Jane finally be with Grayson.

Comment by Tina Cohn – August 10, 2013 07:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, I’m late to the game having not seen any previous episodes and just now catching up via Netflix – but, I don’t like Luke. Not at all. I loved Fred and all his innocent quirkiness and discovery of humanity’s pleasures and pains. Luke is too dominant. Instead of just guiding, he “arranges”. Something too smug about him for my tastes.

Comment by Wendy Wilkins Valdez – April 18, 2014 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post