The CW Drives Struggling Cult Off Schedule and Straight Into TV Graveyard

Cult CancelledBad news, Cult followers: The CW has officially pulled the low-rated thriller off the schedule.

The network on Wednesday revealed its revised Friday night lineup spanning the month of April — and the Matthew Davis-starring drama is nowhere to be found.

Replacing Cult in the coming weeks are repeats of both The Carrie Diaries and Oh Sit.

RELATED | TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard: What’s Returning? What’s Getting Cancelled?

The CW has yet to officially announce a cancellation, but Cult creator Rockne O’Bannon all but confirmed the news via Twitter after his series was yanked. “Cult Sadly true,” he wrote. “CW Execs once called the last 5 episodes ‘outstanding.’ I guess too outstanding. You are great, SMART fans. Thx to u all!”

Cult originally launched on Tuesday nights but was quickly carted off to Fridays after just two barely-viewed outings.

Tags: ,

Comments (80)

• So Vampire Diaries apparently killed off Matt Davis for nothing then. Can’t even use him as a ghost anymore with Jeremy dead on TVD also.

Comment by M – April 10, 2013 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well actually is was not for nothing, I read an interview with Matt Davis when Cult started and he basically bashed Juile Plec, saying he asked to me let go from the show as he hated how is character was written.

Comment by sarah – April 10, 2013 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Sorry I meant BE not ME.

Comment by sarah – April 10, 2013 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sarah is right. I read the same interview. He didn’t want to play Alaric anymore and wanted off TVD. It is a shame. I loved Alaric and his relationship with Damon. Hope the actoris still happy with his decision.

Comment by Gillian – April 10, 2013 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Looks like Matt’s decision really paid off and he chose a real winner.Seems like such a sweet and intelligent guy twitter comments and all.

Comment by Brandy – April 10, 2013 04:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I tried to watch this show for Matt Davis, but I got bored with it in the first episode, and with a busy schedule already, never felt the need to keep watching.

Comment by Ashlee – April 10, 2013 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • it was just a matter of time….

Comment by anna – April 10, 2013 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So that means Alaric can come back? \o/

Comment by Nadia – April 10, 2013 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOOOOOOOOO! I’m really sad. I enjoyed Cult a lot. :((( I hope we can see those final 5 episodes someday…even if it’s on Netflix or thecw.com

Comment by alyssa897 – April 10, 2013 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Matt Davis deserved so much better. Hopefully the whole bring back all of the dead thing on TVD goes through so we can see Ric again

Comment by ggny – April 10, 2013 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • now that’s a big surprise.

Comment by S. from E. now – April 10, 2013 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hahaha, yep! I think most predicted that would happen before the show even aired.

Comment by Laura – April 10, 2013 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I completely understand why they cancelled it, but why do they have to yank it off the air. They have episodes left. Yes, I admit I am a follower and I would have watched it to the end. (I think if they ever do a show like this again, it needs to be more darker & better actors. Just sayin’)

Comment by Laura – April 10, 2013 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Because if nobody is watching, they looooose money in advertising. Its that simple.

Comment by Smelly Feet & Farts – April 10, 2013 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was actually enjoying this show for what it was. Surprised by the extreme lack of viewers – I’ve been subjected to far worse on TV!

Comment by Kendal Walworth (@Kendal_) – April 10, 2013 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • In total agreement! I think that the fact that it started to air after The Following (THE WORST, in my opinion), unfortunately had a large part in its demise.

Comment by gol – April 11, 2013 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m so angry! I liked this show. I hate that they take off everything that has any thought process to it and not some formula that tv like music now adheres too. No creativity to anything. Wonder why people are moving over to places like NEtflix and not wanting to pay for cable tv anymore? Huge reason is right here. Netflix and venues like it allow for real creativity, not only robot junk for the masses.

Comment by lace – April 30, 2013 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What!? I thought this one of the most original shows thats been on lately, was a true believer!!

Comment by Oz Paul – April 10, 2013 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, actually it was the SECOND cult-based show to air this year, and it didn’t have big names like Kevin Bacon or James Purefoy to get viewers to stick to a hokey premise.

Comment by Alice – April 10, 2013 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Kevin Bacon is the ONLY good part about The Following.

Comment by BESS – April 11, 2013 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TV networks have no vision. Even with low ratings, it’s still hundred thousands of fans watching the show. So it’s now hundred thousands of fans feeling betrayed that they won’t get an ending…

So next time a new show comes along, they just won’t bother to watch it until they know for sure it will finished or be renewed. And since they won’t be watching… network will cancel yet more shows…

When network put show on the air, they should commit to finish off the season, more people would give new shows a chance and more new shows would succeed and be renewed…

Cult was on my list of shows I thought would be interesting, but I didn’t want to watch until I knew it would be renewed or at least I knew I had a full season with some closure…

Comment by mdesjard16 – April 10, 2013 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You just outlined the entire problem with the CW. People don’t watch cause the CW shows no loyalty, but then their ratings such because no one watches. Catch 22.

Comment by mia – April 10, 2013 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • CBS and ABC do this all the time and it’s annoying.
        The people who do watch don’t get an ending and the next new show you don’t want to commit to watching because they may yank that off the air too.
        Cult was a hot mess and Matt Davis deserved a better show.
        I hope the veil drops on TVD so Alaric can return.

Comment by Whatever – April 10, 2013 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They don’t need to commit to finishing the season on the air. What they could do however, is make the unaired episodes available online, either all at once, or one new episode per week.

Comment by madhatter360 – April 10, 2013 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • RIP “Cult”. I understand about ratings, BUT, I truly believe what others have said on here. When TV stations cancel shows, ESPECIALLY Mystery shows like “CULT”, before finding out “the punchline”, it’s VERY annoying to the viewers who ARE watching. People like me are less likely now to watch new shows, for fear that we will “get involved” & then be left hanging when it’s cancelled. I think I plan on only watching cable series, that have shorter seasons & ALWAYS finish them!

Comment by Nathan – April 13, 2013 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Interesting they’re repeating the Carrie Diaries – maybe the show isn’t as dead as I thought…

Comment by Jay – April 10, 2013 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s what I’m thinking! Maybe they’re going to see how reruns do to see if they want to renew? I think it still has a chance!

Comment by B – April 10, 2013 05:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Robert Knepper deserves so much better

Comment by Sara – April 10, 2013 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I truly feel sorry for fans of the show – but I’m hopeful with its cancellation that Beauty and the Beast, Hart of Dixie and Carrie Diaries will get renewals. Especially BATB!!!!!

Comment by mia – April 10, 2013 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This makes me think The Carrie Diaries isn’t entirely dead… I’m really happy about that.

Comment by Anthony G. Newhall – April 10, 2013 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The show was exhibit A of how hard it is to translate high concept well. I enjoyed the first episode, but the show quickly became a jumbled mess.

I know people are all “put Matt Davis back on TVD!” He doesn’t WANT back. The bigger shame is that we are once again Robert Knepper-less. He’s fantastic and was under-utilized.

Comment by VampKingBill – April 10, 2013 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually didn’t expect anything less, but I’d still like to see the last episodes they produced :/ Which will be next to impossible now if they put it online or such, because I’m from Austria and most sites are blocked for non-us-viewers… :( *Sighs*

I understand why it got cancelled and such, I just wish they would air the last 5 episodes at some point anywhere for everyone to “get”…

Comment by Katrin – April 10, 2013 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • it was a pretty solid Show. tje chemistry between Matt and Jessica is really Great they really capture the screen and after a slow start ths show gets deeper and more interesting. Alona Tal is so great the line she created between the actress and the show character gets really creepy and great.
    Hopefully we get to see the last eps.

Comment by Maki – April 10, 2013 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hate that people didn’t give Cult a chance.

Comment by Neicey – April 10, 2013 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • As do I. It just needed a chance.

Comment by weise – April 11, 2013 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have ZERO problem with the CW cancelling Cult because it was a pretty bad show. But my question is if Cult has already finished production on 13 episodes at this point why not just air them? Clearly TCD or Oh Sit will not do much better in the timeslot. Why pull the series now? It should have just been cancelled instead of being moved to Fridays. As long as BatB and HoD are renewed I’m good!

Comment by Jared – April 10, 2013 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • should have kept Ringer or TSC :(

Comment by Everyone – April 10, 2013 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m pretty sure by now they wish they would have either, because both shows were doing better in the ratings – as far as I remember…

Comment by Katrin – April 10, 2013 03:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The ratings drop from year to year, so if Ringer or TSC had been launched this season rather than last, they probably wouldn’t have done better than BatB, Emily Owens M.D., Cult or TCD.

Comment by Alex Forrest (@AlexForrest5) – April 11, 2013 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Get over it. It has been a year

Comment by angry bird – April 10, 2013 03:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • lol. well that was rude! i LOVED ringer. still hoping it’ll get a DVD release.

Comment by j – April 10, 2013 05:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • have you seen Orphan Black on BBC? Made me think of The Ringer.

Comment by Jacob – April 11, 2013 12:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • It’s on Netflix.

Comment by Faster – April 11, 2013 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s too bad, because I love the cast, but that show just did NOT appeal to me at all. Hopefully the actors (especially Alona Tal, I miss her) will all find more successful projects.

Comment by alia – April 10, 2013 03:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This sucks. I get the decision based on the ratings, but it still sucks. The show was playing out like a book, with each chapter contributing to the overall story. It may have found more of an audience if it were more action based and episodic, like The Following, but then again, The Following is garbage. Cult got more interesting with each episode, and it’s sad that we may never get to see it play out.

The show reminds me of some of the high concept 90′s shows, like Nowhere Man or Strange Luck, which didn’t go very far. It wasn’t cookie-cutter, which I loved. Unfortunately, the commercials leading up to the show advertised the show within the show more than it advertised the main show itself, and none of the commercials made the show look interesting. The concept could have sold the show to more viewers, except that they held it until midseason and people forgot that it sounded interesting in the first place.

The thing that kills is that they’re replacing it with The Carrie Diaries reruns. The network needs to get away from teenage girl shows, and Cult was a high concept grownup show, which was good for their image. By putting TCD reruns on instead, it’s like taking a giant step backward. With 90210 and Gossip Girl gone, I get that the network might want to keep The Carrie Diaries in order to hold that audience. But at the same time, they really need to push the fact that they’re moving away from that image. Arrow, Cult and even Emily Owens (more or less) were good ways of doing that this year, but the network seems to be nervous about owning that plan and sticking with it. The Carrie Diaries is what it is, and the ratings won’t go up because of this. I really don’t see the point in promoting a show that’s done for the year. Either renew it or drop it at this point.

Comment by Drew – April 10, 2013 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You put this in ways that I never could have. In total agreement. Such a shame.

Comment by log – April 11, 2013 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Those are my thoughts exactly. I couldn’t watch The Following past ep 2, despite the awesome Kevin Bacon. CULT grw on me, with each episode I was slowly hooked. This following EmilyMD being canceled, too, which I got hooked on right from ep 1; and yet BATB is renewed?? II have to force myself to watch ea ep, and wouldn’t if not for support of lead actress. It was so well done, and funny! Thank God for Suprntrl; But how much longer really will we have it? Arrow’s ok, but definitely is not a SNL or even a SMALLVILLE…

Comment by B. Patterson – May 25, 2013 10:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sorry for the fans of the show, but this gives Nikita a bigger chance to get renewed!

Comment by luli – April 10, 2013 04:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • DANG IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It did not belong on fridays!!!

Comment by Megan – April 10, 2013 04:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with those that point out how people are now less likely to give a show a chance till they know it will be around at least a full season. (And as a prior poster said… The CW and ABC are both VERY guilty of this)
    I actually liked Cult, it had some good twists & turns and showed promise but I’m sure people figured since it was so different CW wouldn’t give it a chance if it didn’t perform 100% out if the gate. And shockingly the CW proved them right (note the sarcasm)
    I understand that they say its all about numbers and advertising but I’ll let them in on a little “secret”. (“Secret” that I’m sure many others use) I skip the commercials even if I watch it live… I start the show pause it for about 10 min while I do stuff around the house and then restart it and each time a commercial comes on… FF!! ;) Of course if I DVR it I FF too!!
    I know they realize more are doing this hence the product placement in shows ;)
    So much opportunity for product placement w/Cult as well as promo opportunity but why would ppl give the show a chance when most knew the CW was not truly invested. :(
    CW renew my faith … renew BATB & NIKITA (the latter to secure syndication & it is a good show).

Comment by Sunshine – April 10, 2013 04:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed about product placement. They had the Roomba commercial in the first episode and I paid more attention to it than if it had run as an actual commercial, yet it didn’t get in the way of the story.

Comment by Drew – April 10, 2013 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lol, I do the exact same thing, only because I know shows like SNL have 19 minutes out of 60 as commercials, I wait 20, then select from dvr to “start over”. But truth be told, this does not happen very often. Most things are dvr’d and watched later that evening, or week, or month, or even year! For example, I loved the sound of Once Upon a Time and Grimm, but because of how networks treat their fans, I didn’t watch either until that summer, after I knew they’d be back. I knew if either wasn’t a huge hit, they would be canceled with no ending, and I just was not going to risk it. I’m so glad both are still going strong…

Comment by B. Patterson – May 25, 2013 10:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The creators of this show should make this a novel! So ridiculously epic. But this show (just like The Ringer, Melrose Place, etc) DOES NOT belong on the CW! The CW Network is terrible, they don’t give their programs a fighting chance so no one bothers to watch! #TrueBeliever

If I don’t get an ending, I will be LIVID!!!!

Comment by Kevin – April 10, 2013 04:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well I saw it coming, cause the show wasn’t that good but now I’ll never know what the heck was going on and if he got his brother back…….

Comment by K. – April 10, 2013 04:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow usually the CW lets stuff play out. Pity for Matt Davis. Find him something good to be in please!!!

Comment by Danielle H. – April 10, 2013 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All that’s going to happen is more and more writers who see this trend wont want to work for the CW network and soon they will be battling to secure decent Fall programming….

Comment by Mark – April 10, 2013 06:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wasn’t the best show but it was getting better, and I’d have liked to have seen the remaining episodes.

Comment by Dave – April 10, 2013 10:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hopefully Cult being cancelled means they won’t have to cancel BatB!! Yay!

Comment by Jj – April 10, 2013 11:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope this is good news for Carrie Diaries and Beauty and the Beast. I tried to watch Cult, but two episodes was all I could take.

Comment by Magically Suspicious – April 11, 2013 06:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How could they screw this up? How could a show with All-American type Matt Davis and two complete babes Alona and Jessica…who btw has super chemistry with Matt…NOT succeed? Not to mention Knepper’s creep factor is off the charts.

Comment by RichieS – April 11, 2013 07:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think that was the only characters/actors I liked on the show. The others were blah. I really hope they will release the last of the episodes. Instead of cancelling shows, why not test them for summer. I don’t have much I watch during the summer, so it would be great for me. I hope the next series Matt Davis will be on will be great. Not saying this show wasn’t great, it just need to be darker and better actors. Also, the show needed to feel real.

Comment by Laura – April 11, 2013 07:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES, YES, AND YES.

Comment by SOCY – April 11, 2013 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s on The CW. How much lower in the ratings can you get beyond 0.00??? The entire network should be canceled for low ratings.

Comment by Bob – April 11, 2013 07:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show seemed a lot more interesting on paper than it actually played out. I was entertained by the first episode or two, but it rapidly got cheesy, unbelievable, and just not very interesting. Unless they were going to go super-meta to peel back and reveal another layer of reality, I don’t think I would’ve kept watching anyway. The main storyline just wasn’t believable and the show-within-a-show crossover stuff got less creepy as it went on. I guess I was expecting something weirder.

Comment by JC – April 11, 2013 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One episode was enough for me, terrible.

Comment by Joni – April 11, 2013 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The CW did not market Cult well. I had friends that thought is was about ghost and monsters like supernatural. Until i looked up what Cult was about I did not know either. I watch so few TV show now because they keep canceling the new stuff I watch. So if that is what networks want they are doing a good job. Someday I will be watching no tv show just Netflix of the stuff that got cancelled.

Comment by Jennifer – April 11, 2013 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not surprised. Shouldn’t have burned your TVD bridge, Matt Davis.

Comment by Faster – April 11, 2013 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Cult was a bad show. It was so bad, that I actually enjoyed watching it. I watched it mainly online because Friday nights aren’t typically a TV watching live night for me. I hope to see it online with the rest of the episodes. I knew it was going to get canned but, would have nice to see all the episodes left to play out, even with the low ratings.

I think the reason I watched it wasn’t so much the complete confusing plot line but really, it was the actors. I liked most of the cast. It was a bad show, with a good cast.

As for The Following, wow that show is going downhill fast for me. I mean, geez, I’m not sure what happened but I don’t think the writers really thought the season through. I agree, Kevin Bacon (as little as his character does now), is the best thing about the show. With a weak cast, it isn’t surprise. And the plot holes. I can only hope that the second season, is thought out better.

Comment by the living space (@slspace) – April 11, 2013 08:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • oh im really sorry, i love cult so much.im sorry…

Comment by Harry – April 12, 2013 12:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • F. After the last episode that aired I was soooo looking forward to seeing Stewart turn out to be Stephen Rae :/ Will seriously miss this show.

Comment by Meredith – April 13, 2013 07:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh man This show Was epic very rare to see like transcendental concepts as the like potential outcome and Also no one is Mentioning the sound track!!!
    people! although not utilized to its full extent the xx, crystallized in the first ep i was already like”…ohh yeha this show is next level” then last ep it had SAIL – AWOLNATION i mean for a show like this to implement next level music such as ^^^^^ ridic.
    and I could totally see how that Stewart could be Stephen ray himself or associate quite clever really kinda in ya face but at a subconsiness level almost like “ohh some random guy who seems to have crazy money and loves the show and very articulate…pretty cool oh the found some dungeon with a compendium of multidimensional indicators all over it .
    I know those two timelines dont skink up but its for arguments sake…
    but hey maybe its stems deeper like Cult did,
    High concept shows attract high concept people although im not advocating cults xp haha and when shows question people to question their own reality and hey some people might benefit from that …other might not, but hey maybe im just a little salty for its cancellation of something epic but in the end I really think it opened the gates to more high concept shows and for that silver lining cult shall for ever be remembered throughout the corridors of time and space..in this dimension and the next.

Comment by Ben – April 13, 2013 11:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really did have high hopes for this show.For the CW, it looked very dark and very twisted. After seeing several first promos I knew I would tune in.But, after a lack of buzz and numerous lack-luster new-promos I lost interest and have yet to view the pilot. Cult, is about cult.Similar in premise, is the popular NBC show The Following. Another problem, was that this show was constantly being compared to the NBC rival.
    Now that it’s cancelled I hope the CW learns to pickup shows that will last. After the demise of The Secret Circle and Ringer, I doubt the CW will have any REALLY popular shows, another than the ones airing that have more than 3 seasons.

Comment by †Jay Del Rey † (@TeenSuccubus) – April 14, 2013 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show had a great concept. It was original. It had a good cast. But it sunk because of bad storytelling. It’s one thing to watch a show like LOST more than once for details. But I had to rewatch to follow the irregular writing. There’s being challenged by intrigue & nuance and struggling to follow a faltering story..and then to be disappointed because it’s lame or lacks the creativity you’d hoped for. Twists weren’t twisted. No wow moments. Just bland. A lot of work for little reward. Maybe with better writers and a reworked script. For me, this show was the biggest let-down of the season. A real waste.

Comment by Michele – April 15, 2013 09:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now I feel bad for not watching… :(

Comment by Grace – April 16, 2013 10:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually liked Cult – it was way better than The Following, which was decent the first one or two episodes but is now just painful to watch. The Cult had a way better plot, IMO, and was the better of the two shows. True, they didn’t have a name star like Kevin Bacon, but it did have a good cast – Matthew Davis, Alona Tal (Supernatural), Robert Knepper (Heroes), etc. Btw, Knepper was perfect as Billy Grimm / Roger Reeves.

Some shows simply take a while to develop a following – they should at least give it a full season, better marketing and promotion, etc. Yet they replace it with reruns? (The Sit???)

I agree with the post above re: ABC, they’re also bad about cancelling shows after only a few episodes (Zero Hour, Last Resort, etc.), but at least they kept Last Resort for a full season and gave that plot a conclusion.

Comment by Traci – April 21, 2013 07:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The CW has pulled quite a few shows that I really enjoyed (Secret Circle, RInger) & replaced them with shows that have low ratings and are getting ready to cancel. I really don’t get it. I actually enjoyed Cult & wanted to see the season through….i guess that won’t be happening.

Comment by Daya – April 24, 2013 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really liked cult it is sad to see it go only being on such little time. I was very upset when I went to watch my dvr and to not have it on there. I don’t watch the vampire diaries because I grew bored of the vampire diaries in the first season I’m done with twilite knock offs I don’t even watch the movies because the books are so much better. I will miss the show cult I found it interesting and watching it made me curious on what would happen next

Comment by Laura – April 27, 2013 08:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m super surprised at all the people on here who are saying that the plotline was confusing. It wasn’t confusing at all, to me. Maybe I’m smarter than I think I am or maybe my mind just works the way the show does, I don’t know. But I just wish they’d make the last few episodes available because I REALLY wanted to see episode 9. Ugh. Guess we’ll never know.

Comment by Cheezit – May 5, 2013 11:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post