Scandal Enlists John Barrowman for Guest Stint

Get More: Casting News

john barrowman scandal season 2Olivia Pope meet Captain Jack.

Scandal has tapped Torchwood-turned-Arrow actor John Barrowman for a Season 2 guest stint, series creator Shonda Rhimes announced on Twitter late Tuesday.

“John Barrowman is here working today at Scandal,” Rhimes wrote. “Life is good.”

RELATED | Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on Scandal, Glee, Nikita, Once Upon a Time, Bones and More

Rhimes didn’t reveal any further details about Barrowman’s character. Sources, meanwhile, confirm he’ll appear in this season’s penultimate episode on Thursday, May 9.

Barrowman had a role in Rhimes’ ill-fated ABC period drama pilot Gilded Lilys.

Thoughts? Who do you think the actor is playing? Post your theories below in the comments.

Comments (49)

• First of all, YAY!
    Second of all, it’s Captain Jack. Not Jake.
    Third of all, WHOO! More John Barrowman on my TV screen.

Comment by madhatter360 – April 9, 2013 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What implications does this have for Malcolm Merlyn?

Comment by Charissa Jelliff (@Patronus01) – April 9, 2013 07:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Probably won’t affect that, as Malcolm is recurring, and this is just a guest stint. Hopefully.

Comment by Zorkel567 – April 9, 2013 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Arrow had already finished filming this season and he is probably the case of the week.

Comment by shuayb – April 10, 2013 06:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I’m with Anna…”OMG, this is all kinds of awesome. Scandal is a fav and Barrowman onscreen has always made my day! Arrow is still filming until 20 April, and Barrowman is back in Vancouver today for filming. Seems he’s filming Arrow and Scandal in the same week. Busy guy.

Comment by Holli – April 11, 2013 04:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FIXED! I was overly excited!

Comment by Michael Ausiello – April 9, 2013 07:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • John Barrowman does that to me too ;)

Comment by Cynthia – April 9, 2013 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s Scandal so he’ll be a lying, cheating, stealing kind of dude. And all we want is Olitz. Like Captain Joke said, “Olitzer’s would be happy to see Liv and Fitz drink tea together for 45 minutes” #MorePlease #SorryNotSorry

Comment by Kim – April 9, 2013 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m with you on that. Olivia and Jake have no chemistry. Zzzzzzzz Bring back Olitz.

Comment by Kerry – April 9, 2013 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Olivia and Jake have plenty of chemistry! Keep Olake!

Comment by Mechelle – April 10, 2013 08:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Jake and Liv together are just lame. Olitz or find another guy. Jake is one creepy dude

Comment by chris – April 10, 2013 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I dunno… Fitz is getting pretty creepy too.

Comment by Emily – April 10, 2013 09:12 AM PDT
          • i agree creepy

Comment by renisha – April 16, 2013 01:02 PM PDT
        • Amen to that. Fitz is okay and of course I love their chemistry but until Fitz gets a divorce not more Fitz and Olivia, period. Jake is the man and if Fitz doesn’t get his act together I want Jake and Olivia permanantly while Fitz stew in his own juices (which will be 60 proof mind you LOL) with his wife and three kids.

Comment by Jeanne – April 13, 2013 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Everyone’s entitled to their own opinion, but for me the Olivia/Fitz relationship has quickly become the worst part of the show. I find any scene where one of them is pining for the other unbearable, no matter how much Shonda Rhimes tries to shove their “epic love” down our throats.

Comment by E – April 10, 2013 06:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • THIS!

Comment by GeekGirl13 – April 10, 2013 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • So agreed!

Comment by Monday Girl – April 10, 2013 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Fitz is a prototypical Washington prince; entitled, pouty, charming, wealthy, mean-spirited; he’s exactly the type of guy that on the surface women adore, very JFK Junior.

It’s fun to watch them nail that character type and give us the behind the scenes on that type of character, and make it complex and complicated, instead of just making Fitz the Knight in Shining Armor. Long term it will be more interesting to watch the characters than ship the couples, and good or bad Olivia and Fitz have terrific chemistry.

Comment by Plum – April 10, 2013 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • yes they do omg! they are the show don’t get me started!

Comment by renisha – April 16, 2013 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • If SR would let them be it would be a wonderful ride with Olitz. It seems like every time they get a little closer, the creater throw another monkey wrench between them..How much more are going to test their love for each other? This is why it may seem like it’s getting old. But, I do watch in hope for an Olitz reconcilation. But, I know about SR that will never happen. Jake doesn’t keep my attention. I will eventually get bored.

Comment by Crabapple Court (@CrabappleCourt) – April 10, 2013 10:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Re-election announcement coming up. President cannot be separated. That campaign could bring them back together but First Lady will see to it that it doesn’t happen! Olivia will focus on work, not love, since she is creeped out by Jake and Fitz.

Comment by Suz – April 11, 2013 07:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • lmao lmao lmao

Comment by renisha – April 16, 2013 01:06 PM PDT
      • Not even close to agreeing. Up until now, network heads have been making such statements and decisions denying viewers more interesting television.

Olitz is foundational to the success of the show, but not the only thing keeping the show alive. Without Olitz, we wouldn’t have the major story arcs intertwining believable emotional decisions and behind-the-scenes politics. The writer’s did a beautiful job developing all of the characters to the point where outrageous moves and decisions could be rationalized in our heads. From incredible to credible. The powerful chemistry and the on-screen development of Olivia and Fitz, in part, makes this possible.

It is probably one of the most mature writing we’ve seen regarding a couple in recent television memory in this genre (one minute, 3-dimensionality of characters). Try to think how the story would have developed without them… I’m just not convinced that it would be the Scandal we know and love today.

Comment by Moe – April 11, 2013 04:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • On point. Remove Olitz and it’s over. We live for them, we can’t breathe without them, we watch for them, our, well, my whole life is about Olitz. Never ever, ever seen such chemistry. Can’t be duplicated. They are too intense for romance to work with anyone else.

Comment by Paulette Cogle (@denaeda) – April 21, 2013 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Made. of. Awesome.

Comment by M – April 9, 2013 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SQEEEEEEEEEEEEE! (fangirl-dom out of the way now) It will certainly involve questionable morality, tons of sexual tension, sardonic humor and a definite threat to Fitz’s Presidency, I hope.

Comment by Janie – April 9, 2013 07:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Captain Jack for Spoiler Alert! Let’s make it happen :)

Comment by Charlie Schneider – April 9, 2013 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I. Just. Died. SO EXCITED!!!!

Comment by Sara – April 9, 2013 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know how I could love this anymore! Totally made my night!!!!

Comment by KND – April 9, 2013 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on AMCPress.

Comment by AMCPress – April 9, 2013 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Barrowman on my tv!! I’m a happy woman!!

Comment by MERCEDES (@hatorl) – April 9, 2013 08:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder who he will play. Probably a slick politician or another fixer.

Comment by TVPeong – April 9, 2013 08:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How much fun would it be if he plays another fixer? I can see them playing a chess game with two different clients.

Comment by KCC – April 10, 2013 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t think my comment went through :( Anywho as I said before….looks like I’ll have to tune into Scandal to see Captain Jack/Malcolm Merlyn/Dark Archer

Comment by LaurenTVEA (@LaurenTVEA) – April 9, 2013 09:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GREAT NEWS! :)
    I’m addicted to Scandal and just keeps getting better

Comment by leo – April 10, 2013 02:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah! Don’t watch any of shonda rhimes shows. But heard she’s a big Doctor Who fan! And yeah for captain jack

Comment by Liz – April 10, 2013 06:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would very much like to echo the existing enthusiasm. I would be very happy if he somehow became recurring. Overjoyed really.

Comment by Daisy – April 10, 2013 08:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Same! I hope it’s not a one-off.

Comment by Emily – April 10, 2013 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That explains John’s twitter pic of him going back to LA from Vancouver from a couple of days ago! ;)

Comment by Michelle – April 10, 2013 08:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now that’s some good news ! I do love me some Capt. Jack.
    Didn’t think the show could get any better but it just did .

Comment by Whatever – April 10, 2013 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I DID NOT KNOW I WANTED THIS UNTIL I READ THIS BUT OMG THIS IS ALL KINDS OF AWESOME *-*

Comment by Anna – April 10, 2013 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Didn’t his TORCHWOOD co-star Burn Gorman have a small role a couple of shows ago?

Comment by Valery – April 10, 2013 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oops, sorry; my bad. Burn was on REVENGE, not SCANDAL. Still, so thrilling to see any of the TW actors on US TV!

Comment by Valery – April 11, 2013 09:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on Life In A Nutshell.

Comment by Sabrina Goodnature – April 10, 2013 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think John will play Abby’s ex.

Comment by Tessie – April 12, 2013 07:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am a Scandle fan , a Capt. Jack fiend, and a torchwood nut, I have just died and gone to heaven. OMG is this for real!!!!!????????

Comment by mary humphrey – April 22, 2013 04:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While always grateful for any appearance by the irrasible John Barrowman…Major thumbs down to Steven Moffett for cutting Cap’n Jack outta Who’s 50th anniversary!

Comment by LostSoul – April 23, 2013 08:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG CAPTAIN JACK AND OLIVIA??? THIS IS GOING TO BE AMAZING. WOAH!!!

Comment by Bianca – April 26, 2013 08:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hadn’t watched this show until John was on. If he’s going to be a recurring character…I’m IN. \o/

Comment by Nina – May 11, 2013 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post