Glee Preview: 10 Scoopy Tidbits From This Week's Harrowing 'Shooting Star' Episode

Get More: Controversy, Glee, Previews

Glee Season 4 Spoilers Shooting StarGlee has never been a show that shied away from hot-button topics, but this Thursday’s “Shooting Star” (9/8c, on Fox) runs headlong into one of the most polarizing debates facing the nation today. (WARNING: Stop reading now if you want to stay completely in the dark about the episode’s central story arc. Everyone else, read on.)

Executive producer Ryan Murphy Tweeted last week that “Shooting Star” is “the most powerful, emotional Glee ever,” and I can’t say that I disagree. Yes, the hour is bound to upset some folks, and likely to infuriate others, but you can’t say it’s not filled with powerful images and performances that stick with you after the credits stop rolling.

RELATED | Glee Poised to Finish Season 4 Without Finn, as Cory Monteith Enters Rehab

Below, I’ve put together a list of 10 scoopy tidbits from “Shooting Star.” Again, if you want to go into the episode totally sheltered from the central plot (which might potentially make its impact more powerful), then stop reading now.

1. This is a 100 percent, Lima-centric episode. That’s right: No New York City, no Rachel, no Kurt, no Santana. (And no Emma, Finn or Sugar, for that matter.) (I miss Sugar. There, I said it.)

RELATED | 2013 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

2. Things kick off on a kooky note, with Brittany stressed out about a comet or asteroid (or maybe a meteor) that’s coming to wipe them off the planet. The eventual origin of this fear is classic Brittany, as is her theory on what killed off the dinosaurs. (Let’s just say this here product would’ve helped ol’ T. Rex, if the Lady Pierce is to be believed.)

3. Also, before the episode’s “big incident,” Ryder spots in the hallway the girl he thinks he’s been falling for over Facebook and text-message these last few weeks. (Spoiler alert: If you’ve heard of a dude named Manti Te’o, then you know that there’s gonna be a few bumps on this road to love — or wherever it’s heading.)

4. Right at the start of a New Directions rehearsal focused on “last chances” to share one’s feelings, two shots ring out in the halls of McKinley. It’s a gasp-inducing moment that rips the frothy high-school musical off its foundation and transports it to a dark and harrowing world.

5. Much of the ensuing action is claustrophobically confined to the choir room, where Schue and Beiste hit the lights, find hiding places for the students and try to keep down any noise that might attract the attention of a shooter/shooters.

6. The hour reaches its emotional crescendo as Artie breaks out his camera phone and records his fellow glee-clubbers’ messages to their loved ones — just in case.

7. Heather Morris may be one of the show’s resident funny ladies, but no one will be doubting her dramatic chops after a near wordless scene in the McKinley High ladies room.

8. Some might spot the episode’s big twist from five miles out, but it really doesn’t matter. The direction the show’s writers take prevents “Shooting Star” from turning into Law & Order: Lima, while still retaining its teeth.

9. A major character’s future on the series is likely to be the subject of speculation after episode ends. No, I’m not exaggerating when I say “major.”

10. And finally, there’s a Hot in Cleveland joke from Kitty that’s almost too rude for prime time. (It did make me laugh, though, in spite of myself.)

Will you be watching Glee this week? Surprised Ryan Murphy & Co. are tackling guns in our schools this season? Or is it exactly the right time and place for this subject? Sound off below!

Comments (224)

• Reading all the reviews this episode is 95% newbie focused and seems like one big manipulation to get the fans to care about the Newbies. If after 17 episodes the GA hasn’t taken to them, this episode isn’t going to make a difference. Glee needs to get back to the original characters and dump the Lima part of the SL, once Blaine, Sam,Tina, Artie and Brittany graduate there is no reason to keep McKinnley!

Comment by T25 – April 9, 2013 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Amen to that.

Comment by Cheri – April 9, 2013 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The original characters are not that interesting now. I don’t even get the whole idea about rachel, Kurt and Santana living together. At least, the newbies have given freshness to the show, especially the comedic ones (such as the super hero-themed one). There’s a reason why it’s called back to basics.

Comment by KillT2 – April 9, 2013 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I pretty much thought that episode was the biggest crock of crap. STUPID.

Comment by Bing – April 9, 2013 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I totally agree I mean this is glee based on the glee club not the Rachel show. I mean I love Rachel but still the main focus should always be on the glee club itself.

Comment by Alejandra – April 9, 2013 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • LOL Nope, it’s the “New Rachel Show” …and who was dubbed “the new Rachel”? Yup. But he’s a doll and one reason (not the main one) that I liked the show. So I tolerate it, waiting for Blaine to get to NYC with the originals & for Mike, Mercedes, Finn and Artie…Tina? to make it there as well. So we can have some adult (comedic) storylines.

Comment by Steph – April 9, 2013 03:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • except it hasn’t been all about Rachel and people aren’t clamoring for the newbies.

Comment by pete – April 9, 2013 09:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree. This show should be about the glee club not Rachel and whatever she is doing. Seriously, people haven’t care about the new ones because they are still giving the focus to the old ones that shouldn’t be there. i don’t care about the ones that graduated it,i care about how Mr. Shue is gonna keep the glee club running with new faces coming in.

It’s frustrating to see Characters that didn’t shine last year because of all the Rachel focus, to see that this year she is still the focus. Or they got a new one who took that spot, so not even the old kids that stayed in the school got to shine bright.

Comment by Clarimar Colon – April 13, 2013 08:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The newbies storylines aren’t new and fresh (except for the catfishing). All of the newbies are just rehashes of the original characters, and the originals were all much better than the newbies. New York is underdeveloped because they don’t spend enough time on it. The writing, acting, and storylines are much better in New York. The recycled storylines and the overuse of Blaine and Sam in McKinley is killing the show, and it shows in the ratings and iTunes sales.

Comment by JJ – April 9, 2013 03:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I am enjoying the overuse of Sam and Blaine a lot…but only when they are together as friends.

Comment by Lily – April 11, 2013 03:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I Love the newbies and the original cast of glee Santana, Tina, Blaine, Artie, Brittany, Mercedes, Rachel,Corey Finn, Emma, Kurt ,Will, Puke, Sue, Becky, Sam, Quinn, Sugar, Ryder, Jake, Kitty, Unique, Rory, Marley and love all the cast and characters.

Comment by Adam – April 15, 2013 09:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • the newbies have been funny?

Comment by lies – April 9, 2013 09:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • amen to that KillT2

Comment by Moonpie – April 10, 2013 12:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • 100% accurate. Ryan Murphy is trying way too hard to make fetch happen with the noobs at this point.

Comment by Jen – April 9, 2013 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree, I honestly could care less about the new kids this Season. They all seem like replacements for the old Glee Members. (Marley=Rachel, Unique=Mercedes, Ryder=Finn, Jake=Puck, Kitty=Quinn) I want to know more about Graduation Plans. All we know is that Blaine might try to get into N.Y.A.D.A.

Comment by Abbie – April 9, 2013 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Those comparations are getting tired and ridiculous. You should use some arguments as: Unique is fat, black and has a big voice, meaning she is trying to be Mercedes..

Comment by Me – April 9, 2013 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Unique is not trying to be Mercedes, but Unique fills the spot that Mercedes once occupied on the team’s roster: the big voiced, soul diva who does the runs at the end of the song. Just like Rachel was the big soloist and they are trying to make Marley the big (female) soloist.

I actually think Jake is more like Finn than he is like Puck, interestingly enough, but I do see the Kitty/Quinn comparison.

Comment by the girl – April 9, 2013 03:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Blaine = Rachel, mix of Marley and Kitty = Rachel, mix of Jake and Ryder = Finn, Ryder = Sam, Unique = Kurt + Mercedes, Kitty = Santana

Comment by Lily – April 11, 2013 03:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. Do not care about the noobs.

Comment by Ashley – April 9, 2013 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like many new, even more than some older, this season has been the best, I look forward to this chapter.

Comment by Luca – April 9, 2013 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • So this is the only season you have watched I guess.

Comment by wow – April 9, 2013 09:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I also think Season 4 is much much better than season 3.

Comment by Lily – April 11, 2013 04:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I completely and totally disagree, so please don’t speak for all of us. I REALLY like the new kids, and am excited for an ep that completely features them. I have a feeling Blake Jenner is really going to change a lot of people’s minds with this ep. Or, you know, people will go on hating as usual, since that’s all you people seem to do.

Comment by Ruby – April 9, 2013 06:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • thanks!!!! Can we just forget about McKinley and focus on NYC please

Comment by LilAngel – April 10, 2013 04:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. And on that note, I don’t consider any of the newbies, nor most of the other McKinley students, “major” cast members.

Comment by Dave – April 10, 2013 07:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Sam, Blaine, Tina, Artie, and Brittany ARE ALL major characters they’ve all been on the show for a while and have been a focus at some point in all seasons however i do agree that the newbies aren’t major due to the fact that they’re new but they are still good characters and I’ve watched glee since day one and yes they have traits of the originals but they aren’t replacements they each have they’re own story-line and issues

Comment by teamblam! – April 10, 2013 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Preach it! Mckinley needs to go and the couples, klaine finchel britanna needs to get together in new york.

Comment by Jack – April 10, 2013 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Klaine didn’t work out, Brittany is happy with Sam, and finchel is off and on so much its gotten to the point of irritating if they got rid of McKinley there wouldn’t be a Glee they would have to make it a spin-off of the show to get rid off the “glee club”

Comment by teamblam! – April 10, 2013 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i hate to be mean but i think your write !!!

Comment by gleek – April 10, 2013 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree!!! The only reason I still watch Glee is to get glimpses of the original characters once in a while. I miss seeing them and miss hearing them sing. There is nothing like Don’t Stop Believing <3 I miss hearing Mercedes, Santana, Quinn, Kurt, Puck, Finn, and Rachel's voices in songs. The new characters do absolutely nothing for me, if anything they bore me to death. (Though I really do love Jake's voice) Lol now I am not even sure I want to watch tonight's episode. Though I probably will just to see Brittany, Artie, Tina, Blaine, and Sam. Since they are the ones I care about. Hoping for some different changes next season!

Comment by phoenixtears8907 – April 11, 2013 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The world is changing, times are changing… I also love the original characters of Glee but they have graduated so it’s time to focus on the newbies… I have the impression that the ones who hold on too much on the original characters are also the ones who prefer to stay in their comfort zone and do not want to take the risk to try something new,

Comment by Lily – April 11, 2013 03:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • or maybe we just dont like them.

Comment by Trini – April 11, 2013 11:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They talked about two shots in the explaination but I remember more than two shots. I’ll have to view it again. Am I wrong? I kept expecting a second reason for the shots.

Comment by Carries Olson – April 12, 2013 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This episode sounds like it is going to be really offensive. Glad my favs (Kurt, Rachel, and Santanna) are not in it.

Comment by Mandy – April 9, 2013 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Gleeks should be ashamed. Thankfully I’m not a die-hard Brittana-Finchel-Whatever fan, but I really enjoy the show, even when it sucks. Those true fans should support their show, especially the new kids since Rachel can’t be teenager forever. BTW, kudos to the writers for going an step ahead. Every single show going from high school to college, crashed and burned e.g.: THE CW’s teen soaps. Plus… what’s so oustanding about Kurt. I don’t understand it.

Comment by Me – April 9, 2013 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Actually, high school shows that follow the cast to college do much better than ones that replace the cast members. The audience spent three years getting to know and love the original cast members. We want to see where their stories go, not get to know new characters.

Comment by JJ – April 9, 2013 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • “Actually, high school shows that follow the cast to college do much better than ones that replace the cast members.”

*cough* Degrassi *cough*

Comment by Dwight Weathersby – April 9, 2013 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Exception to the rule.

Comment by Steven – April 9, 2013 04:51 PM PDT
          • But that is a show that airs in the afternoon on kids tv stations that is geared towards kids of a certain age. The audience outgrows the show, and a new audience starts watching. That’s a lot different than a prime time network show. Network TV has to grow and change with it’s audience. Both versions of 90210, Dawson’s Creek, the Facts of Life, and Boy Meets World are just a few examples of shows that sucessfully followed thier characters to college. Ryan Murphy was ready to cut his three biggest (Chris, Lea, and Cory) and buzz worthy starts at the end of season 3. Fox wouldn’t let him do it because Fox knew the show needed those stars. Look at who appears in a large amount of the markent for the show–Chris and Lea. Look at the promo that came out last week saying “Glee returns on Thursday.” Who was featured? Chris, Lea, Cory, Mark, Matt, and Jane (even though Chris, Lea, Cory, and Mark were not going to be in the next episode). Who are the actors getting the most appearances on the major talk shows? Chris and Lea. I don’t see Darren or Chord making many appearances on the late night talk show circuit.

Comment by JJ – April 9, 2013 05:40 PM PDT
          • Saved By The Bell would beg to differ… but God do I miss that show…

Comment by Rachel – April 9, 2013 06:37 PM PDT
        • Stop saying “we” like you speak for everybody. You don’t. Get over yourself.

Comment by Ruby – April 9, 2013 06:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Ditto

Comment by Claudia – April 9, 2013 07:02 PM PDT
        • It’s just a TV show you’ve been watching for three years. Just move on. Sheeesh. AND, high school shows that follow the cast to college DON’T DO much better than ones that replace the cast members.

Comment by Claudia – April 9, 2013 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Still doesnt change the fact that the newbies suck!

Comment by Trini – April 11, 2013 11:46 PM PDT
      • Most people watch a show to be entertained. This show is too stupid for words. It isn’t entertaining enough to support it when it is limping along with poor content. This topic is not entertaining for Glee to try to tackle. I watch Glee very seldom and mostly for Kurt and Santana. So this season has been mostly McKinley and I could careless about it. I don’t ship any couple so the stories are what dictate whether or not I’ll watch that episode. I don’t want to watch this.

Comment by FerrisBueller – April 9, 2013 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • THANK YOU!!!! I honestly LOVE your comment. People are so mean to the newbies, when the ENTIRE show started as newbies. Not giving any of them a chance. Blaine was a newbie, Sam was a newbie, Sugar was a newbie, but they’re fine with all of them. I dont get it. People just dont like change, but if you arent changing, youre not growing!

Comment by ✌J(oh)N ✌ (@IAM_MiKLovin) – April 9, 2013 05:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree people don’t like change and your right everyone was a newbie and to keep the shows origin which is the ‘Glee’ club there has to be new people or change the name if it’s all gonna be about following certain members that have moved on. Don’t anyone get me wrong because I love the original characters and still want to see what there doing & where they’re going, I’m just open to new characters like in real life when there are new students. I love Glee & always want to see what’s around the corner.

Comment by Shelly – April 9, 2013 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Or maybe people just don’t find the newbies as interesting. Yes Blaine was a newbie and he still is a bore to me.

Comment by sometimes people just don't like things. – April 9, 2013 09:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • thank you finally a voice of intelligence and reason

Comment by teamblam! – April 10, 2013 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • posted on wrong part IGNORE

Comment by teamblam! – April 10, 2013 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Glee has been offensive many times… Remember what Kurt said to Quinn in “Grilled Cheesus” and in “On my way” …

Comment by Lily – April 11, 2013 04:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I believe Brittany might be the character whose future is up for debate. With Heather Morris pregnant, and now visably showing thanks to TMZ. I wonder if they had to get Brittany off for the time being. Couldn’t have her in the Cheerio’s uniform, and she can’t dance that much due to the baby.

I don’t mind the Newbies. They aren’t newbies anymore. They are the new generation. They have melded together quite well… I’ll miss Rachel and NY but maybe it’s good to have one episode devoted to Lima. I still don’t believe the show will end with graduation this year. They will probably finish with Regionals and keep senior year going next season.

Comment by Stacey – April 9, 2013 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You are spot on with Brittany being the evacuee. Heather is pregnant and probably ready to move onto other things as she progresses in her pregnancy. I wish her well. I really liked Brittany.

Comment by Cheri – April 9, 2013 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t really think it’s necessary, if she graduates she has her transition already laid out. Seems dumb they’d kill her off.

Comment by Elly – April 9, 2013 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • No one is dying in this episode. If Brittany disappears, it’s because she leaves for some reason and Brittany won’t be back for awhile…

Comment by Stacey – April 9, 2013 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • No one is dying. It is the fear from the shooting and what they’re all thinking about that will be the story.

Comment by Bing – April 9, 2013 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think it’s Will. The article said that Sue and Beiste are the ones to Hit the lights and find hiding places for the kids so Will must not be in the room, and Matthew Morrison hasn’t been on the show much at all this season. Maybe he wants to move on. I hope not but that seems to make sense.

Comment by Julie – April 9, 2013 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Actually, the article says “Schue and Beiste.” At least, it does as I’m reading it. If it was edited between our posts, then I apologize for the attempted correction.

Comment by MusicalSoul – April 10, 2013 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Honestly I think it’s the d*mn cat… even though they’re saying it’s a ‘major’ character I’d go to bet it’s that stupid cat.

Comment by Rachel – April 9, 2013 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • how dare you slander Lord Tubbington in such a manner. He’s the smartest thing in the Pierce household.

Comment by Theo – April 9, 2013 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Lol — really I got nothing against the cat :P

Comment by Rachel – April 9, 2013 08:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thats what they did a couple seasons ago with the stupid Warbler bird dying. That death was way over hyped.

Comment by Kate – April 10, 2013 07:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No. I don’t care for Glee’s drama. Especially this topic. I’d rather see the NY part of Glee. I miss the humor that made Glee special. Even NY has been rather dry with no humor. Bring back old Glee. This doesn’t interest me at all.

Comment by Cheri – April 9, 2013 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would love if the show focused more on the Seniors. I seriously had enough of Rachel and Finn and their on and off again relationship. We have had four years of nothing but her and Finn making out and breaking up and getting engaged and cheating and blah blah blah. I want to know more about the Seniors and what their plans are for after Graduation. I hated it in Season 3 when they finally mentioned where Mike, Mercedes, Quinn, Santana, and Puck were going after High School because it was just crammed in at the last moment in the last episode. I think they should have the last few episodes discuss what Colleges this years seniors are going to go to, or at least think about going to and what they planning on doing with their lives. I honestly don’t care about the new kids, they are good singers/dancers, but they just kind of act like replacements and are making the old characters seem less important. Like what happened to Joe and Sugar? and Artie and Brittany seem to get less screen time.

Comment by Abbie – April 9, 2013 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Bu they aren’t concentrating on the senior either and this year and the couple to get more focus this year were Jarley which is boring and Klaine even broken up they got time and songs.

Comment by NY has more potential – April 9, 2013 09:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll watch whatever in Glee that doesn’t include NY.

Comment by Hoyt – April 9, 2013 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m the opposite. I only care about the NYC characters at this point.

Comment by Sara – April 9, 2013 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Same. I couldn’t care less about the new kids. I didn’t spend three years getting to know them.

Comment by Ashley – April 9, 2013 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Nobody cares about you either.

Comment by Ashley's Mom – April 9, 2013 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m hoping it’s Sam or Alex who dies… As much as I love the Glee Project, those two were horrible casting choices (along with Damien).

My guess though is Britney dies. It gives Santana/Lima something to move forward with.

Also, I can’t help but notice how much lack of creativity must exist for the writers if they have to rely on One Tree Hill and celebrities (first Chris Brown/Rihanna and now Manti Te’o) as storylines. I think it’s the writing that has ruined these new characters, not the actors themselves.

Comment by kavyn – April 9, 2013 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No one dies.

Comment by SS – April 9, 2013 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Uh.. Degrassi did a school shooting episode a couple of years before One Tree Hill did and My So-Called Life touched upon gun violence in school a decade earlier. This topic is in no way unique to One Tree Hill. Get a clue.

Comment by Christian – April 9, 2013 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ok, so Glee is ripping off of three shows instead of one. Calm down. I really couldn’t care less which show did it first.

Comment by kavyn – April 9, 2013 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • A school shooting happens practically every week in this country and you think they’re pulling a storyline from One Tree Hill? Wow.

Comment by Ruby – April 9, 2013 06:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Last year there was a shooting in a highschool in Ohio… Glee is situated in Ohio…. So I think Glee got its inspiration from the news channel rather than another TV serie.

Comment by Lily – April 11, 2013 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FOX really should change the name of the show to Glum.

Comment by Sara – April 9, 2013 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This!!

Comment by Elise – April 9, 2013 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Finally someone to speak the absolute truth. Glee was special with snarky out of the box humor. Glee sucks at drama.

Comment by Bing – April 9, 2013 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But they already changed the name to Blee. Changing it to Glum will piss off the Blaine stans.

Comment by JJ – April 9, 2013 03:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • With over 9/10th focused on the newbies? And the rest on some of the show’s weakest actors of Jenna, Heather and Chord? You can offer me enough money to watch exploitation of real life pain in order to emotionally manipulate the viewers, and all of that carried by the lot above. I like my sanity.

Comment by Peter – April 9, 2013 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That was *can’t* offer me enough, obviously.

Comment by Peter – April 9, 2013 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. My first reaction was that Ryan and Co. are just trying exploit and monetize a very recent tragedy for the sake of ratings and in a desperate attempt to regain some relevancy. Every time that Glee has attempted to address a serious social issue (gay relationships, bullying, bulimia, etc.) they end up revealing the writers’ inability to properly explore and develop a story and those issues inevitably end up being swept under a cover of mediocrity. Another reason not to watch.

Comment by Babygate – April 9, 2013 06:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • “My first reaction was that Ryan and Co. are just trying exploit and monetize a very recent tragedy for the sake of ratings and in a desperate attempt to regain some relevancy.” The event has not been mentioned in even one FOX promo. It’s not going to do the ratings any good if the amount of people watching it is already small. If this really was a ratings stint (ala Quinn’s car accident), it would have been promoted heavily. Is it so hard to believe that Glee is actually trying to shed light on a issue that’s incredibly prevalent to teens and society as a whole?

Comment by DK – April 10, 2013 01:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • the bullemia thing of Marley was not handled well but the attempted suicide of Karofsky… still a wow for me…

Comment by Lily – April 11, 2013 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • First people are whining that Jenna, Heather and Chord aren’t getting equal screentime to Lea, Cory etc. Now that they’re given more time, people are complaining about that. Glee just can’t win no matter what they do or who they try to placate.

Comment by Ruby – April 9, 2013 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hey, have a watch first and then criticize Chord and Heather later…if you can…

Comment by Lily – April 11, 2013 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As soon as i read #1 i decided im not gonna watch this episode

Comment by ggny – April 9, 2013 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glee is disgusting. Sandy Hook was 4 months ago. Seriously Glee?

Comment by mar – April 9, 2013 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Too much recent events and heartache to have a show like Glee touch this subject.

Comment by Bing – April 9, 2013 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have to agree. As someone who lives really close to Newtown I felt my stomach begin to bubble as I read this article. It’s too soon and it’s not cool.

Comment by Jennifer – April 9, 2013 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m going to apologize in advance for being a bit rude, but I hate when people say things like this. As if they have no idea that there have been several school shooting since then. And maybe you don’t, since they’re not talked about at a national level unless there’s something new to make the incident sensational. For Sandy Hook it was the fact that it was an elementary school. But Sandy Hook wasn’t an isolated incident. It was just one in a constant stream of tragedies. There were five school shooting in January of this year alone. So yes. Shows like Glee should address this. Since it happens all the time. Will they do a great job? Probably not, its Glee. But that’s the responsibility of television and any other artistic media form. To reflect life, the joy and the tragedy. Let’s be for real, there’s not a kid in America who hasn’t sat huddeled in a darkened classroom during an intruder drill. That’s real life. Why shouldn’t Glee be a part of the discussion?

Comment by veronica – April 9, 2013 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree 100% with your message.

Comment by Wouter – April 9, 2013 03:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Glee doesn’t have a responsibility to address this. It’s supposedly a comedy about show choir, and at that it is a bad comedy about show choir. There are other shows better suited for it and other writers who are better suited to it. Glee will do one episode full of ~drama and then turn around say oh lol no, it wasn’t a shooting after all. This way they avoid, in their mind, those pesky consequences of such events and they don’t have to follow through but they get all the “thrill” that something like this brings. Never mind that even a scare of this kind would require many months of recovery. They are doing it for the ratings, and in order to emotionally manipulate the audience into caring about the newbies and Sam/Bram. This is never a reason to engage in tackling this type of subject. They should stick to choir. They can’t even do that properly.

Comment by Peter – April 9, 2013 03:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I didn’t say it was Glee’s responsibility, just television in general. If Glee wants to join the discussion then it should. Even if they handle it poorly it gets people talking and that’s good. The episode hasn’t even aired yet and its gotten you and me talking and that’s good.

As for how it’s handled, you’re right. There are other shows much better suited for this topic. Doesn’t mean Glee can’t try. Maybe they’ll surprise us. I’m not holding my breath on that, but I’ve watched this show for almost four whole seasons. I know what to expect. Glee has been attempting to tackle big topics from the very beginning. Teen pregnancy, bullying, suicide, eating disorders, domestic violence, etc. So I’m not totally sure how this is new or all just a ploy for ratings. For that matter, isn’t everything a tv show does a ploy for ratings? Without ratings you have no show.

I also don’t see how its supposed to make you care about the characters you mentioned (the “newbies” as they’re so eloquently labeled, as I’d there haven’t been new characters introduced every season). If you don’t care about them already you’re not going to change your mind.

Comment by veronica – April 9, 2013 04:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • You can’t say television in general because programming is too diverse and it’s not all suitable for such a discussion. And just because attention is brought to a subject doesn’t mean that the conversation is productive. Certain subjects are better left to the people that have working knowledge and comprehension of the dynamics involved. What Glee is doing is using a tragedy as a device to get chatter and hopefully gain ratings. Glee has never been able to tackle serious subjects and attempting this actually diminishes the impact and gravity of recent events.

Comment by Babygate – April 9, 2013 06:24 PM PDT
        • This^^^^

Comment by FerrisBueller – April 9, 2013 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Glee has become the afternoon school specials PSA overload. When Glee started doing PSA after PSA I stopped caring for Glee.

Comment by FerrisBueller – April 9, 2013 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Preach!

Comment by karenb – April 9, 2013 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Glee has neither the responsibility nor the credibility to address this. For that matter, it has no real platform either because they have no influence where it really matters. The message here is fear. How would this possibly shed any light on the subject? Are kids now a days not aware of the threat of violence at schools, whether by guns, knives or fists? So then, Glee is saying, “kids, be afraid, be very afraid because this is what’s out there”. How does that move forward the conversation? How is this going to discourage potential psychos from pursuing their deranged agendas? If anything, they feed on this type of fear and sensationalism. I detest it when entertainers with strong opinions and little understanding of the real issues take on the mantle of educators or advocates.

Comment by Babygate – April 9, 2013 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well said. We need to make sure this is addressed by popular culture because sometimes that is what is needed to get more people interested in making a change.

Comment by Juilette – April 10, 2013 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes. We should all shut up and not talk about shootings so we can guarantee that they keep happening over and over and over again.

Comment by Ruby – April 9, 2013 06:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That is the same mentality that has made Chicago, the city with the strictest gun control laws, also the city with the highest number of gun deaths. You can’t devise a generic solution to a specific problem. Talking about school shootings within the context of a comedy show that lacks substance, influence or credibility does nothing to promote safety.

Comment by Babygate – April 9, 2013 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Except through your hatred haze, you fail to realize that for most of the general public, Glee DOES have substance, influence and credibility. The ratings wouldn’t be astronomical if it didn’t. YOU wouldn’t keep coming back and watching it week after week, even if only to whine about it, if there wasn’t something about it that was keeping you here. If a school shooting episode enlightens even ONE kid into learning about the issue further, then the show has accomplished something. Look how many people are more sympathetic to gays because of Kurt, Blaine, and Blaine’s dad (amongst the other gay characters on the show.) I’m not saying that Glee is solely responsible for that, but I think you severely underestimate the reach of this show to the general public. Life =/= the haters of the internet. People have been using entertainment to learn about things since the beginning of the medium and will continue to do so.

Comment by Ruby – April 9, 2013 10:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Astronomical? The ratings are AVERAGE this year, and falling.

Comment by JC – April 10, 2013 01:08 PM PDT
          • Agreed with every commoent u write

Comment by iman – April 11, 2013 01:46 PM PDT
        • That was supposed to be Kurt’s father, not Blaine’s.

Comment by Ruby – April 9, 2013 10:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • no.. the fact that Chicago has the strictest gun control laws in the nation is what made it the gun death capitol of the US. Gun laws only effect the Law abiding. someone’s not going to care how many gun laws he breaks on his way to murder someone….

Comment by ben – April 11, 2013 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There was a shooting at a highschool in Ohio last year… Glee is situated in Ohio…

Comment by Lily – April 11, 2013 04:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Been calling it since a rumor about the shooting came out: Sam will get shot

Comment by Lalala – April 9, 2013 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • except no one is getting shot so………………………………………………..

Comment by cady – April 9, 2013 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You Americans are so easily offended. Really, it’s pathetic.

Comment by Wouter – April 9, 2013 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Do you really not know about the events that have been happening recently? Sorry people don’t like the idea of school shootings.

Comment by mar – April 9, 2013 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yep, i am totally aware of the shootings that happened recently. It was terrible and never should’ve happened ofcourse. But it’s time to move on. Thousands of people died of hunger, war, etc. But you never hear Americans about that. You only think of yourselves.

Comment by Wouter – April 9, 2013 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Maybe you should stop reading an American website about American shows if you hate us so much.

Comment by Really? – April 9, 2013 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • O, i don’t hate America. And i love American television. But, seriously, American television is so preachy.

Comment by Wouter – April 9, 2013 03:04 PM PDT
        • So…showing concern about this particular issue clearly means nobody in the U.S. cares about what else is going on in the world? Eh? And we do hear about those stories in the news, actually.
          I don’t deny that there are Americans who are very self-absorbed and ignorant of the world around them, sadly this is true, but let’s try not to stereotype the country at large. And I’m pretty sure the families of those who were killed in the recent school shooting in particular aren’t going to be able to just “move on”, nor should people forget such a horrific tragedy. We need to bring attention to such things so that we can try and stop them from happening again.

Comment by Angela – April 9, 2013 04:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yes, You are correct. Thinking about innocent children killed at school and the growing violence in our streets is a completely self-absorbed and self-indulgent exercise. Except that here in America, we endeavor to take care of our own. That’s what sets us apart from others.

Comment by Babygate – April 9, 2013 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • See? That’s so dumb. No other country’s citizens take care of their own? Just America?
            What I know is no other country stops every five minutes to ask “Isn’t (insert country’s name here) the greatest country in the world?”
            Like it or not, we’re all the same. You’re not better than me and I’m not better than you. Nobody is exceptional.

Comment by Pepper – April 10, 2013 03:11 AM PDT
        • Didn’t Blaine just said in the previous episode that there is so much hunger in the US, but also much obesity and that is so confusing ? And they did already an episode about Sam and his bankrupt family in Season 2 (rumours).

Comment by Lily – April 11, 2013 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Looking at your name, it sounds “dutch”…. Just talked to an European (but not dutch) yesterday who said that he prefers to send his son to a college in the Netherlands than to one in the USA … and one reason he quoted is because of all the shootings at schools and colleges… and this person has enough money to pay his kids an American education.

Comment by Lily – April 11, 2013 04:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh look, you’re THAT guy.

Comment by Ruby – April 9, 2013 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Degrassi did it first and I’m sure they’ll have done it better

Comment by Anita – April 9, 2013 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • still like the show and esp the NYC characters. Not a big fan however of knocking off cast members to raise ratings.

Comment by chris – April 9, 2013 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so sick of people hating on the newbies. Look back at season one you’re favorite characters weren’t developed back then. I think they’re doing a great job. Truthfully I’m invested in them and think they bring some much needed life into the show. I would rather watch Glee-Lima over Glee-New York. Kurt and Santana are the only interesting characters there but it’s all about Rachel. And oh God I want her to fail.Rachel who has faced no real legitimate challenges this season. That whole pregnancy thing was blatant emotional manipulation that glee has already explored.

Plus Glee has done stuff that made people uncomfortable in the past. Does anyone not remember Karofsky’s suicide attempt last season? That was some of the most gut wrenching stuff the show has produced over the years. Even though I found the domestic violence plot shoved in at the last minute poorly written Dot Marie Jones’ performance made me cry.

So I’m going to give the episode a chance. I am not going to automatically hate it just because NYC isn’t involved. Am I wary about the subject matter? Oh yes but it’s a tough topic. It’s how the acting and the writing works that makes it important.

Comment by therewatchproject – April 9, 2013 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Season 1 characters were not developed,but they were interesting, the actors brought them to life with the quirky humor, they made you want to watch and root for them. The newbies are poorly developed and the scenes are poorly acted. They don’t make you want to root for them or care about them.

Comment by T25 – April 9, 2013 05:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I wouldn’t say all the characters are poorly developed though. I think the stuff they’ve done with Unique is some of the strongest stuff on the McKinley side this season. Hell I even think that Kitty has at least had some sort of a developing character arc as well.

I will agree that Marley, Jake and Ryder need something to push them over the edge and work more. Ryder and Jake’s friendship scenes where good. We’ve seen Marley develop something of a backbone with the Chris Brown stuff.

I like the newbies. I think they at least have good voices and when they do get stuff they need to sell they sell it well. I just can’t say that I’m also a hundred percent thrilled with how they’re handling the old characters. I mean Kurt and Santana in New York I like. Hell I even like Adam.

However, the focus of the New York storyline seems to be Rachel and I just don’t like her this season. I mean what is going to happen? She auditions for Funny Girl and somehow she gets everything she’s ever wanted. We haven’t seen her struggle as an actress in New York this season. If they’re going to make it easy for her there then don’t show it to me. I don’t want to see it. I would rather the newbies get more development then that. At this point, I even prefer Marley over Rachel. She may be generic and dull at times but at least she’s nice and doesn’t make me want to punch her.

Or they can you know just focus on Kurt and Santana. Kurt’s stuff this season has been great. I would love to see how Santana is working and living in NYC. I would love to see her get some conflict.

Also if they’re using this to develop characters on the McKinley side then I say go for it. Sometimes you need a drama heavy episode for some really good development character wise. I’m not saying they’re perfect. But neither are the old characters on the show either. I don’t think the newbies are harming anything.

Comment by therewatchproject – April 9, 2013 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Rachel has done nothing to deserved to be punched. Maybe if they didn’t skip over NY so much we would have actually had time to see her struggle as an actress. I guess you forgot all the support she has given Kurt this season or that she was totally dumped and left by her boyfriend, her new boyfriend was a fake and a liar and her teacher was out to get her. Yeah Rachel has had it so easy. Malry has a fat mom oh gosh poor thing.

Comment by please – April 9, 2013 09:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Rachel has admitted that she used Brody to get over Finn. She has also been acting like a total brat to her teachers and to her friends. It’s because she continually lets herself be defined by the men in her life instead of focusing on her career. Marley at least is a nice person. Rachel stalked her way into NYADA and walked over the back of her best friend to get there. She won the Winter Showcase and got a swelled head from it. She asked Brody to move in with her without even really knowing him.

Yeah that is totally a character I want to root for.

Comment by Bec – April 10, 2013 10:00 AM PDT
  • I think it totally makes sense that they would tackle the issue. First of all, it is something that is happening in schools all over the country. Second, many people in the viewing audience are likely high school and college aged, and have to deal with this fear every day. Sometimes it is cathartic to see the situation played out in TV world, as opposed to seeing it on the news. It can help teenagers deal with their thoughts and confusion on the issue without a real life face being added to the issue. I’m sure some people will be offended, but Glee has certainly offended before. I have always enjoyed Glee when they tackle real life issues.

Comment by KSM – April 9, 2013 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • All the people that will be triggered by this episode won’t be feeling the same way.

Comment by Sal – April 9, 2013 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Just because the subject matter is upsetting to someone doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be included. Any story line on any show could be potentially triggering to someone. You can’t stifle everything. Showcasing upsetting material makes people talk about things which should be celebrated.

Comment by veronica – April 9, 2013 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • What you should do is give a trigger warning before the episode, so that people with real issues can opt out. And they will not do this, they haven’t before and they won’t now. The media that saw the episode already said there are no warnings at the start. That is as low as you can get, in order to scoop ratings. I hope they crash and burn.

Comment by Peter – April 9, 2013 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • If there’s no warning so people with real issues can’t “opt out,” implying that people aren’t going to know what’s coming in this episode, how would this “scoop ratings”? People either know whats coming or they don’t.

Comment by popculture420 – April 10, 2013 09:27 PM PDT
      • Blah blah, “triggered”. Which basically means, “Everyone should psychically know what has happened to me in my life and walk on eggshells around me to make sure I am never hurt by anything ever again.” Well guess what? We all have traumas in our lives. Just some of us don’t expect for everyone to deal with them FOR us.

Comment by Ruby – April 9, 2013 06:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • That’s not at all what it means. People who are recovering from trauma can get seriously triggered, which can cause psychological episodes that can be dangerous to the individual or people around them. A trigger warning prior to the episode would be completely appropriate so people who are recovering can safely turn to another channel.

Comment by applescruffs – April 10, 2013 03:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The way this show attempts to manipulate people into caring about the characters and themes by doing a “catastrophe of the week” ripped from headlines is just plain irritating at this point. There’s nothing genuine left. When bad things happen they’re supposed to matter. If *only* bad things happen, then you lose your depth. You’re not a reaching people on that deep level anymore. It’s entirely superficial, because ultimately no lessons are learned and nothing ever changes.

As someone who once flew halfway across the country to see the Glee tour and was completely in love with this show, I can’t help but just feel angry at what they’ve turned it into.

Comment by Crittab – April 9, 2013 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You nailed it re: this not feeling genuine. I don’t know why writers think they need to have a weekly tragedy to keep us entertained (Grey’s is bad for that too- does every season finale have to be traumatizing? Really?).

I haven’t watched Glee at all this season and I won’t be tuning in for this one either. I miss the humour :( It used to be lighthearted and cute, and when it did tackle important issues they felt natural and not shoe-horned in for drama. Sigh.

Also, for the poster who said that Americans are too easily offended.-I’m Canadian and I think it’s in bad taste considering how recent Sandy Hook was.

Comment by amyp91 – April 9, 2013 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed. As a fellow Canadian, this isn’t an ‘easily offended’ issue, this is an issue of poor taste.

Comment by Crittab – April 11, 2013 03:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What really upset me is the one writer saying ti was Emmy worthy. Like really you are tackling this subject matter for Emmys?

Comment by tacky – April 9, 2013 09:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This going to be the worst episode, Glee doesn’t have the sensitive or acting to make this kind of topic… Jane, Matt or Dot can make this episode worth to watch.

Comment by xxx – April 9, 2013 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HEY GLEE. THERE WAS STABBINGS IN AT A COLLEGE IN TEXAS TODAY. THERE’S YOUR NEXT IDEA

Comment by Jenn – April 9, 2013 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There you go giving Glee more ideas to write scripts about. SSSHH!

Comment by Bing – April 9, 2013 02:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glee has turned into Degrassi plain and simple.

Comment by Sammie12B – April 9, 2013 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The New Directions haven’t even gone to Regionals yet alone Nationals and Graduation hasn’t been mentioned at all. This whole season has been focused on Rachel and episodes that I admit are entertaining, but are basically pointless. I understand the episodes bring some character development, but there is more important things like Regionals, Nationals, Prom, Graduation, Graduation Plans, College Plans, College Auditions and other stuff. Plus while they are bringing in new kids they are forgetting about Blaine, Sam, Artie, Tina, Sugar, Joe, and Brittany. Plus they haven’t mentioned anything about Sue’s baby Robin and who her famous father is, Is Sam still staying with the Hudson-Hummels? What is going on with Marley’s Eating Disorder? Plus I am a little curious what is happening with the old members?

Comment by Abbie – April 9, 2013 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Typical Glee writing, touch on subjects that either are meaningful or meaningless then drop them like they were on fire. Forgetable to mention again.

Comment by Soladad – April 9, 2013 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lol have you even watched this season at all? It doesn’t sound like it.

Comment by Jacquelyne – April 9, 2013 04:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ummm you do realize Rachel hasn’t been in f3 episodes and NY barely gets any screen time. NY gets less then 20% of the screen time. The reason they haven’t done regionals, prom graduation is deliberate. They are trying to extend the school year so they don’t have to graduate the current seniors because they know the newbies can’t carry the load without the seniors to carry the Lima side of the show.

Comment by T25 – April 9, 2013 05:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Are oyu serious Rachel has had less focus this season then any other, even her boyfriend story need up being a vehicle for Santana. I can’t believe people are still pretending Rachel gets a lot.

Comment by except no – April 9, 2013 09:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know, I was warned. But Slezak–you could take some lessons from Matt M. who manages to make these hinty scooplets enticing but without giving away so many specific plot points!

Comment by PFitzDC – April 9, 2013 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good to know I don’t have to bother watching this episode. The new kids just haven’t grown on me and the vets still left at McKinley can’t pull me in.

Comment by Ashley – April 9, 2013 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This episode sounds horribly offensive. Using a possible tragedy to get viewers to sympathize with things they haven’t all episode? As low as it get.

Comment by Nicole G – April 9, 2013 03:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope someone records Blaine and sends it to Kurt. This season is the worst one and the biggest reason for me is because Blaine cheated on Kurt and they broke up. Which I think is extreamly stupid. I understand that they needed a break and if they broke up any other way I wouldn’t be half as pissed. Blaine cheating on Kurt seemed unrealistic after how upset Blaine was when he thought Kurt was cheating on him. I get that Blaine was lonley but Couldn’t Blaine just be like “You’re not paying attention to me and this long distance is not working out so lets breakup.” instead of cheating?

Comment by Abbie – April 9, 2013 03:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Do you know what’s extremely stupid? Klaine.

Comment by kitschykaix – April 9, 2013 04:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Because the only important storyline on Glee is that of Blaine and Kurt and their never-ending relationship drama, and that’s the ONLY THING people want to see.

Comment by julie – April 9, 2013 05:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I probably won’t be watching the episode. However, I hope that Glee continues on with season 5 to redeem itself and bring again the magic that it was.
    I think the heart of the creators of the show still there, however they have put to much emphasizes on one-dimensional characters like Sam and Blaine. These characters are plain and have no layers, and therefore are boring and we all know what to expect. These characters alone can’t carry the show. If you think about characters like Rachel, Santana, Kurt, Quinn and Mercedes they are multi-layered characters that add dimension to the show, and therefore have better development. In addition, the show was not able to capitalize on the chemistry of the actors. The show has change, it doesn’t have the same flow and the stories seem forced. I like the New York side because the characters are established and the stories are fresh and exciting, a new stage for the Glee kids.

Comment by gipsy – April 9, 2013 03:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will be skipping this episode. Since Glee is choosing to sideline their best talent yet again this season, I am choosing not to waste my time watching. Plus, Glee is supposed to be a comedy, and I do not believe the writers or the student actors at McKinley have the ability to handle this sensitive subject.

Comment by JJ – April 9, 2013 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Good for you, flouncy mcflouncerson. Aka, nobody cares, so why bother with some huge announcement?

Comment by Ruby – April 9, 2013 06:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Here’s an idea, wait and see the episode first? Glee has covered hot topics since episode 1 Season 1. Gay youth bullying, suicide, teen pregnancy, plastic surgery just to name a few. when will it be ok to teach on real life tragedies? is there a timeline to follow? I do not see what the big deal is yet. It seems people just Love to complain. should they make an episode dedicated to complaining since we all love to do it so much. And the Lima vs NYC argument is getting so old. Obviously there is going to be people that like either or both sides, it’s why the show has them both. all i see is selfish reasons to ridicule a show that just wants to reach out to those that might relate. who knows what the writers are thinking. Get over it or seriously move on. There are more important things in life to care about.

Comment by Jimmy – April 9, 2013 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • *applauds*

Comment by kitschykaix – April 9, 2013 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nobody waits for anything to critique it anymore. It’s like clockwork. People are literally waiting on the edge of their seats for the next thing they can be offended at like it’s their job or something. So much wasted energy.

Comment by Ruby – April 9, 2013 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree with you! Just let those of us who enjoy Glee enjoy it without feeling ashamed about it!

Comment by Bec – April 10, 2013 09:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glee is never afraid to push the envelop , but this time I can’t help but thinking maybe they went too far.

Also, whoever disliked Sam as a character, I completely agree with you.

I never thought I can find someone sooooo boring…

On the side note, glee should learn from shameless when they are writing about gay characters…. Watched shamelee finale last Sunday… Can I just say… Oh my god that’s good tv…

Comment by Para – April 9, 2013 03:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How do you know they’ve gone too far. Did you get an advanced copy of the episode, or are you just psychic?

Comment by Ruby – April 9, 2013 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Is Shameless on network TV ? and I love boring, calm, courteous… the way he handled the Kurt situation in season 2 and the Blaine situation recently. the way he tried to punch Blaine in season 3.

Comment by Lily – April 11, 2013 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It amazes me that the majority of these comments are complaining about the “new” characters on the show instead of talking about what the episode is actually meant to be about. As someone who was at school when a shooting occurred, I think showing this topic on TV only served to sensationalize it. I encourage you all to think deeply about your priorities….

Comment by CJ – April 9, 2013 03:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Glad you’re ok.

Comment by applescruffs – April 10, 2013 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Think its time to shut down the comments section so anyone who comments and obviously doesn’t watch won’t embarass themselves further. As to the supposed content of the show, if it makes you uncomfortable don’t watch it. Glee is certainly not the first nor will be the last to have controversial topics

Comment by Boiler – April 9, 2013 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This could either actually turn out genuinely emotional (hey, you never know…) or it could be a total trainwreck. Whatever happens, Thursday night will no doubt be rather interesting.
    I have no problem with a show addressing this topic in and of itself. Unfortunately we’ve had far, FAR too many stories of such tragedies in the news in recent years, so it almost seems inevitable nowadays that a show, especially one that centers around kids at a high school at that, will likely tackle this topic at some point, and if the show does it right and manages to bring comfort and some level of understanding to this issue and people affected by such things, good.
    But I do agree that there are good ways to handle such a story and bad ways. Hopefully “Glee” will lean more towards the former.

Comment by Angela – April 9, 2013 04:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think that they will. I mean On My Way was a trainwreck because they had too much going on in that episode all at once. They didn’t give the Karofsky plot the attention that it really truly deserved. However, when they did give it attention it was the best part of the episode. My hope is that they learned from that mistake and focus totally on the issue at hand which it sounds like what they’re going to do.

Comment by Bec – April 10, 2013 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well said, I fully agree with you. May your hopes for the episode turn out to be true.

Comment by Angela – April 10, 2013 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If they kill Blaine, I’ll be pissed. If they kill Marley, or any of the new characters, I’ll be ecstatic!

Comment by Fabe – April 9, 2013 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • @Fabe Well, if I remember well, no one will be killed at the end.
      Plus, they can’t kill Marley as seeing as this is the one who is supposed to write the original song for the Regionals, so…
      Agreed about Newbies general comments, they are a pale imitation but alas, we should see them in the 1st part of S5 (Sept -> Dec) as seeing as RM likes them and wants a cliffhanger at the end of Ep 22… :-(,

Comment by Géraldine – April 10, 2013 01:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So Glee’s turning into Degrassi now. I get it. Stop ripping off other shows Glee, it’s not cute.

Comment by Hali N. (@writergirlfl) – April 9, 2013 04:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Last time I checked degrassi doesn’t have a copyright on school shootings. buffy did it, Veronica mars did it, one tree hill did it. Whether or not you like it, school shootings are a reality and “censoring” it will not make it go away so stop whining about being offended that glee will do a school shootings right after sandy hook.

Comment by Peachfuzz – April 9, 2013 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You sound really stupid. Don’t watch the news much, I take it?

Comment by Ruby – April 9, 2013 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This sounds tasteless. But it’s Glee, so…

Comment by A – April 9, 2013 04:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One Tree Hill went down that road. Get a little more creative, Glee, it’s overdone and tasteless in our society.

Comment by Kim – April 9, 2013 05:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hey remember when glee was a fun comedy?

Now it’s just one after school special after another. Not interested.

Guns are bad. Be kind to others. Embrace your inner transvestite, Don’t bully. Don’t sleep with others for money. And for god sake Don’t forget to wear condoms and take the pill otherwise you might have another Rachel roaming the earth. No one wants that. Thanks Glee, I never would have known otherwise if it weren’t for you.

Comment by Leslie – April 9, 2013 05:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Um safe sex was not even addressed with Rachel. For all we know it could have been an accident even on birth control since she had been safe in the past. So no those doesn’t fit in the PSA of glee.

Comment by ret – April 9, 2013 09:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have no doubts that this episode will be one of the best of the entire series.

Comment by karenb – April 9, 2013 05:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I couldn’t agree with you more. I accept Glee for what it is. Sometimes I don’t always agree with storylines they do or how they develop the characters but I believe all good shows (even comedies) have some drama to them and some reality to them. That’s what makes them so enjoyable. I think this episode will probably be pretty fantastic. The episode where Karofsky tried to kill himself was a really powerful episode and I can say as someone who struggled with my sexuality and attempted some bad things… they did a really good job and I was able to relate to the show.
      People should really accept the show for what it is or find a new show to start watching, sorry if that’s rude but it’s true. You hardly see anything original these days, just different versions of telling the same idea. I think the episode will be fantastic and take us for a wild ride of emotions. Glee has really stretched this season and I was skeptic at first but here we are on episode 18 of the season and I still look forward to Thursday nights!

Comment by Brandon – April 9, 2013 05:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I completely agree. Also, I’m just plain sick of all the Glee threads being full of complaining and whining. People really like to spread their self-imposed misery on everyone else.

Comment by Ruby – April 9, 2013 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Ruby you are taking this a little to hard.

Comment by getalife – April 9, 2013 10:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Yeah, after 3 years of all the Glee threads being filled with constant bitching. Yeah. I’m a little over it.

Comment by Ruby – April 9, 2013 10:15 PM PDT
      • I totally agree with you Brandon! I feel like this season is a lot stronger and has a lot of really great episodes. I have my fingers crossed!

Comment by Bec – April 10, 2013 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • With President Obama making a passionate speech in Newtown, CT on Monday as the Senate moves into a week of trying to see if it can thwart a filibuster and allow a simple up or down vote on gun safety legislation in Congress, the episode could not be more timely. This is a vital issue, and one that is far to easy to forget. I appreciate Glee devoting time to being a part of the social conversation, just like it is on so many important issues.

Comment by STW – April 9, 2013 05:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • then why are they not advertising it as something of importance? They are advertising it with pictures of the old cast who aren’t even in the show.

Comment by LMM – April 9, 2013 10:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who do you think the shooter is? I’m going to go with Coach’s ex.

Comment by hector – April 9, 2013 05:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will I be watching this episode? NO.

Comment by Kimmie – April 9, 2013 06:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Good for you. Now go away.

Comment by Ruby – April 9, 2013 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Zap2it says “one long-time “Glee” cast member will no longer be at McKinley High School” … which is either as simple as someone changing schools … or as tragic as Lord Tubbington dying. ;o)

Comment by Dave – April 9, 2013 06:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Bite your tongue! LONG LIVE LORD TUBBINGTON!!!

Comment by Sheila – April 9, 2013 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Remember Black Bird ?

Comment by Lily – April 11, 2013 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And it still continues to get nominated for Best Comedy at all the award shows. Wonderful.

Comment by Archie – April 9, 2013 06:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • no it doesn’t

Comment by LMM – April 9, 2013 10:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It doesn’t deserve to. Of all the seasons this is the absolute worst.

Comment by Cheri – April 10, 2013 04:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If you hate Glee so much why do you watch it? It’s really THAT easy. Go ahead and get the show cancelled like you’re doing. I mean this show was based off of a glee club in high school. And you can’t stay in high school forever, obviously. So yeah people will graduate and move on with their lives, it’s not like they can follow EVERY single character after they leave high school. And just like any other club in high school, when old ones leave new ones come in. I guess you’ll just have to either get over it and like the new characters, or just don’t watch. There doesn’t have to be this big ordeal about it. It’s a tv show.

Comment by Shelbi – April 9, 2013 07:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THANK YOU! Someone who finally makes sense and doesn’t needlessly bash characters!

Comment by Bec – April 10, 2013 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am not sure how I feel about this next epsidoe. I feel as though it could be great but at the same time season 4 was supposed to be a mix between Lima and New York. What happened to having the “Season regulars” in most episode and the “guest cast” in a few episodes. The new kids are still considered “guest stars” while characters like Diana is still and Amber are still considered Series regulars but have appeared in like 2 episodes.

Comment by monk – April 9, 2013 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t stand the newbies…they bore me to tears! No charisma and they seem like wannabe retools of the original kids. I hope they don’t kill off Lord Tubbington! I’d rather it was one of the newbies or Sue or Emma…I like Sue and Emma but I think their plotlines have run their course.

Comment by Caro – April 9, 2013 08:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No Kurt? Not watching.

Comment by Julian Besina (@foxytroxy) – April 9, 2013 10:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sounds like a dead ringer for “Smoldering Children” in Murphy’s other show AHS, except in the choir room as opposed to the library. I guess it’s another homage to Columbine, but it seems like ideas are being recycled. And I doubt it will have the same grittiness that AHS did, as it is on a network channel. I just don’t really understand what genre Glee is going for anymore. Something has definitely changed in terms of continuity of themes since the earlier days. I’m sure it still will be a very powerful episode though.

Comment by Brittany – April 9, 2013 10:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe none of you gleeks aren’t worried about the 9th point…. !! I mean
    ” no I’m not exaggerating when I say “major….” Really hope it’s not about Sam,Kevin,Heather or god forbid Blaine…

Comment by aloka – April 10, 2013 01:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think it’s Heather. She’s pregnant in real life, so she may be ready to leave the show.

Comment by LV – April 10, 2013 07:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • totally don’t like the whole ny scenario…they graduated, this is a show about high school, move on, be gone…like the newbies, that’s what happens in high school; do not now or ever like rachel and don’t think she’s that much of a singer, either

Comment by bg – April 10, 2013 05:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post