Updated: Future of Glee Project in Jeopardy as Glee Renewal Talks Drag On

The Glee Project CancelledOxygen will likely be forced to postpone or scrap the next season of The Glee Project, TVLine has learned.

Although the cable network declined to comment, sources confirm that a number of factors — not the least of which is that Glee itself hasn’t been renewed yet — contributed to the decision to (at least temporarily) shelve the reality spin-off.

RELATED | Glee Scoop: Look Who’s Playing Artie’s Mom

Negotiations to bring Glee back for a fifth season continue between Fox and 20th TV, with insiders saying an official decision could go down to the wire.

RELATED | 2013 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s Returning? What’s on the Bubble?

Thoughts? Would you be sad to see Glee Project go?

[Editor's Note: An earlier version of this story intimated that Glee Project had been cancelled; a final decision on the show's future has not yet been made.].

1. Kate says:

This is a bummer. This show was as enjoyable as Glee once was. I’ll miss it this summer.

• nancy says:

I’m sooo sad to hear it won’t be back. For me, The Glee Project was what Glee was in the beginning. I stopped watching Glee over a year ago

• Claudia Klein says:

No! Please come back! I really look forward to this show!

2. USA Network = Jaysus says:

As good as this show was on its own, it was ultimately detrimental to Glee. Still, it’s sad to see it go.

• dude says:

Completely agree. This was my problem with the show. It was absolutely my favourite reality show but it really did hurt Glee as a show. They never used the winners to fill already conceived roles and instead tried to wedge them in as contrived characters that didn’t have much of a place in the show. Blake Jenner is the only winner that actually worked as a character and Alex Newell only fit before they tried to make him a full-time cast member. It really did hurt the show and I hope they don’t go forward with a season three.

3. Taylor says:

It’s definitely a shame. Seeing the spark in all of the hopefuls’ eyes and they way their careers have taken off was a thrill to watch.

4. Sara says:

Good. It just would’ve resulted in yet another straight, white, cisgender male joining the cast of Glee. For all the talk Ryan Murphy blathers about diversity and uniqueness, he sure does like to pick the blandest, most overrepresented types as TGP winners.

• Anna says:

missed your comment. THIS.

• letsbehonest says:

For every Damian or Blake we got a Marissa, Emily and Aylin. I didn’t watch for the winner, I watched for the talent.

• Anna says:

But where are they in the show? Did they extend their episodes like they did to the men? The only one that has achieved that and who is not a straight white male is Alex and based on their ongoing and unfunny joke of Wade/Unique being confused with Mercedes I can clearly see they wanted first, his powerful vocals and then tried to give him a story but as much as I believe some of this kids are talented singing-wise, TGP kids are not good actors. TGP is attached to a show that has tanked and a cute idea just added to the mess. If it’s inspiring, if people likes it, then why not have the same concept but not attached to glee? Actual diverse kids could win then.

• Timmah says:

Yeah, but Damian and Blake are the ones who got the screen time on Glee, and did nothing with it.

• Sue B says:

But the ones who should have won never did, so we got stuck with Blake and Samuel. No thanks.

Marissa, Emily, and Aylin were robbed. It just made me angry.

• Will says:

Marissa, Emily, and Aylin were robbed? How about Lindsay and Nellie? They were the ones who got truly shafted. At least Lindsay got her 2 episodes, but in those two episodes she demonstrated exactly why she should’ve won. And no matter what their opinions were, Nellie was always, far and away, the best contestant on season 2.

• scooby says:

Amen. Nellie was my favorite that year. As much as I didn’t like Lindsay (due to her villain edit, I’m sure), as the Nyada-hopeful Gerber baby she was terrific.

• Sarahlianne says:

I’m sorry Nellie had an incredible voice and she was adorable, but she acted like she didn’t care. I replayed her vocals many times because she’s just incredible but her acting would not be good on glee. She just blahed around saying she had self esteem issues which I totally understand but you need confidence to be an actor, shouldn’t go around feeling sorry for yourself.

• Nicol Ramsey says:

I loved the Glee project, I loved Nellie and Blake together I really wanted them both to go to the show. I would still love to see them bring Nellie on they need some new good female characters on Glee!!!! I actually enjoyed the glee project more so than Glee itself honestly but love them both!!!

• Jules says:

If you were Damian, what would you have done with that “role”? The writing was very cliche, uninspired, and very stupid. Damian never had a chance to do anything with that “role”.

• Payge says:

Acting is key in a television show! These girls just couldn’t act, [although we ddmt see enough of emily's to judje hers], where as Blake and Sam could. Don’t get me wrong I loved Marissa but compared to Blake her acting isn’t as strong. I just found Aylin couldn’t act, she is more cut out as a performer in my opinion.

• dude says:

I just wish Ryan saw that and gave Aylin a role in the show. I sorely miss her.

• Geo says:

And after last season I wasn’t even sure it was an actual “contest” at all. Blake was a professional actor who’d already auditioned at least twice for “Glee” before he appeared on “The Glee Project.” And even when he was on GP, the producers admitted they’d found him through “industry sources,” unlike the way most of the kids on GP were picked. And–oh my gosh– he just happened to win. So, yeah, if “The Glee Project” was simply gonna be “let’s hire a professional actor we’d already considered for the show, and just play-pretend that other nonprofessional underdog contestants have a chance,” then I’m kind of glad the phoniness it had become is not coming back.

• Tess says:

I think the second season was full of kids with more acting experience and/or ability merely because they realized after season 1, that the kids they chose from it were not adept at acting.

As much as I liked the Glee Project, I could never understand why they focused more on singing and lipsyncing than actual acting. I mean, at least half the time on Glee they aren’t singing so you would think they would want someone they could trust to learn dialog and be adept at playing a part. But then again, the original goal of TGP was just to find someone who would be on the show for 7 episodes and nowhere was it said that that person (or persons as it turned out to be) would even have to have a speaking part on the show. And in both seasons, Ryan and Co. were always seemingly more interested in whether someone was enough of a muse to create a character around rather than what talents they even brought to the table – like wanting Damien just so they could have him confuse Britney when he spoke and have her think he was a leprechaun and all that.

• A says:

Damian was also found through “industry sources.” Funny that.

• Libby says:

uhhhh-Unique?!

• RCon says:

Thank you. I thought I was the only one that noticed the glaring hypocrisy.

5. Cara says:

I really liked the show, but for a show supposedly celebrating non-traditional casting, the fact that all three winners were pretty white boys did sort of seem ironic…

6. Claireys says:

Great! At least there won’t be more pointless characters added to the already huge cast. Hopefully they’ll concentrate on the fans favourites in S5, although I think too much damage has been done.

7. CharlieS says:

oh well I’m a glee fan and didn’t like this show at all :D

8. dilia says:

enjoyable show, but to be honest, the only good winners were lindsay who didnt do much, and blake.

9. Dan says:

“negotiations to bring Glee back for a fifth season continue between Fox and 20th TV.”

LOL imagine if it doesn’t come back because of failed negotiations between two sister studios, now that would be maaaaaadness. ;)

• Anna says:

Sadly, pretty sure it’ll come back (as much as I hope for a miracle and have it cancelled) but I don’t think it is living for much longer than s5, maybe just half. I also feel there’ll either be some notorious changes in production or Murphy will keep his claws on it and make a crackfest of his creation. He kind of works like that. The question is how much more money is Fox willing to spend on this shipwreck? Just long enough for syndication?

10. Carla says:

At least Oxygen is keeping the bad girls club. yay.

11. Callie says:

Glad to see this steaming pile of idiocy is dead. Just look at Ryder’s “big” solo this week to explain why this was a terrible, terrible idea that made all our ears bleed. “Your Song” never sounded so terrible, and it’s a great song that should be a showstopping moment. So glad we won’t be getting more “talent” from this ridiculous show.

12. JA says:

Would appear that writing is beginning to appear on the wall that Glee may not be coming back next season. If that is the case, it can’t be too surprising to anyone involved — the show has lost over half it’s demo and total viewer in ratings. It is no longer the power house for Fox…and if we all know anything about Fox, it is how fickle it can be with it’s shows…Fringe notwithstanding.

13. Scoob says:

This is better news than the Cory, Heather stuff

14. July says:

IMO I think it’s great, It’s horrible to see fan fighting in the internet about their favorite characters that didn’t get to win.

15. Grrrrp says:

Please don’t bring Glee back. Put it out of its misery.

16. Amanda says:

Good. Glee has too many characters already.

• Trouty Mouth says:

Yeah. I think they should cut a few, starting with Blarren.

• Russ says:

There is no one on the show called Blarren.

• Gav says:

They mean Blaine/Darren. Because according to anti-Blainers, he’s the spawn of Satan. They’d rather have him cut than every single newbie who is just a lame copy of one or more of the originals.

• I was right says:

I thought I was the only one who thought the new Characters were lame copies of the Original. I said it from the beginning Glee got to big fast and it would crash and burn like it is now. Just like the former it fox show”the OC”.

17. Jaime04 says:

I’m kind of glad it’s not coming back. There are already way too many characters and Glee doesn’t need any more. Glee itself would have had to been renewed back in January for the Glee Project to get going, so it’s not surprising since Glee hasn’t been renewed itself yet. I suspect we may only get a 13 episode Season 5. Hmmmm….

18. Dennis says:

hope this is a sign for the end of glee

• lol Glee says:

THIS.PLEASE
      yaaaaay
      “ding dong, finally Glee is deaaaaad!!” :)

• raquel says:

I don’t understand why people place comments like this.. If you don’t like the show, please don’t watch it.. But don’t post childish things like this.

• Ben says:

Although I completely agree with this comment, that no-one should wish other peoples favourite shows dead… I do find its really very sad what happened to Glee. It could have been so great a show and was instead reduced to what it became. So while I would never wish that it ends, I also have to say that Fox shouldn’t overspend to keep it.

• Raquel is a moron says:

You’re right and that’s the exact reason Glee should get canceled because people don’t like Glee anymore and AREN’T WATCHING. That why your show should get Canceled.

• Jenni says:

Thank you!! I totally agree!! If you don’t like the show what are you doing on the blog about the show??? Can’t wait for Glee S5!!!

19. Alana says:

OH NO!! I love this show, so sad :(

20. Fernanda says:

the beginning of the end of Glee. I hope they could reach the 100th epidodes but I don’t see a 6th season. I love Glee but I have to admit that the show prefers put a lot camera time on Darren Criss and the other new characters. Seriously,

21. As much as I enjoyed some moments, The Glee Project show killed Glee for me. All it did was prove Ryan Murphy was an idiot who had no idea what made Glee fun–hint it wasn’t obnoxious outcasts whining about being accepted with after school special moralizing.

22. Britta Unfiltered says:

My 58-year old mother and my 19-year old sister are going to be so disappointed. I’m not kidding. I have spent way too much wasted time listening to them rehash what has happened on that show.

23. Anna says:

Bless. Why bother, another straight white male/ white passing would win, we don’t have to watch the show to know that. Diversity what?

24. Bummer says:

I’m gonna miss TGP. I was disappointed with the outcome this past season, but overall it was a entertaining show (some times more than others). One of the very few reality shows I enjoy. Also, it was fun getting to know these kids before they show up on Glee.

25. Megan S says:

Doesn’t this hint that we would no longer see McKinley??? As TGP feeds to the McKinley glee club… No McKinley… No need for TGP. I see this as a good sign!!! Go NYC

26. Nat says:

I’m disappointed by this, I really enjoyed watching TGP in its own right. I think its format was really interesting and both seasons had a fun, drama-filled run. And yes, the three winners were all white straight males, but arguably the Glee Project alum who has gotten the best story arc/songs is Alex, who is gay, black and often performs in drag, so…

As for anyone saying they “can’t wait” for Glee to get cancelled or similar, I don’t understand. If you hate Glee so much, don’t watch it, don’t read about it, don’t complain about it being on the air. You’re essentially rooting for dozens of people to lose their jobs. Plenty of people (myself included) still enjoy it and I hope it has another couple of seasons in it.

• Vetle says:

This. I don’t get why so many people are still watching if they genuinely don’t like it. I get the giving it a chance part, but it’s starting to become excessive.

• Simon says:

I understand that you’re probably addressing some of the ones posting, but clearly a lot of people are no longer watching it. Ratings have taken a significant dip. Fox pairing it with X Factor and AI is an attempt to capitalize on the bump they saw earlier on.

I’m pretty sure it will get some amount of an order for S5, but I wouldn’t see much beyond that with Salaries, License Cost, Etc. My guess is it gets around a 14 episode order to round it off to 100 to 102 Episodes(Seems every declining show post “Chuck S5″ is getting this dignity for fans.).

2.0 Demo and below just isn’t going to cut it for long, clearly Glee’s audience is leaving the building.

• Jenni says:

Great post!! Totally Agree!!

27. Et al says:

No big loss seeing as last year’s “winner” was a plant.

28. Steve says:

Ali, Ailyn, Nelly, Fat Girl from last season – all would have been better winners for season 2.

I liked Cameron from season 1 but he quit. Damian was awful when they put him in the show. So was that guys with dreadlocks. Even Fat Gay is a one note character. Can sing his fat bottom ass off but cannot act beyond being sassy.

Lindsay would have been a better winner because she could act. She would have been a better competition for Lea than Charice, who can’t act too.

• July says:

by fat girl you mean Lily right? Yeah she would be great, Glee is all about personality and that girl had one.

29. kavyn says:

The Glee Project was way more enjoyable than Glee itself to me, so I’m sad to see I won’t be able to watch it this year. It would be nice if they gave out a different prize instead of relying on Glee.

30. Patrícya says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :( CRYING MY HEART OUT

31. Ruby says:

It’s a bummer, but at least we got Blake out of it.

32. Spencer says:

This is a step in the right direction! Now we just gotta get rid of Glee!

33. AngieD says:

I’m hoping that there will be 1 more season of Glee that follows the original cast to their end games (i.e. 5th year class reunion- see where they end up.)

As for Glee Project, I only watched because it was on during the summer. For the most part, the winners haven’t been stellar – Damian/Rory & Samuel/Joe were practically non-existent. ‘Joe’ was kept around just avoid having to find another male to make the minimum Glee club membership for competition. Blake Jenner has been a bit more interesting than the season 1 co-winners, but not nearly as charismatic as the ‘original’ Glee club.

Alex and Lindsay have been the best additions – but because of their singing…..

34. Vetle says:

Noooooo. :/

I actually like this better than the actual Glee.

35. Blank Slate says:

And don’t forget little Matteus who starred on The Glee Project and then auditioned for AI this season, crying and blubbering he had never been on the stage, never had a break….Did he think we weren’t king to recognize him?

• Maybelline Green says:

And then there was “Dani” (the Justin Beeber look alike) who was on America’s Got Talent the year before. Forcing these marginally talented Glee Project winners and runners up have destroyed Glee along with the featuring of the less charismatic second string players (Sam, Tina, Blaine, Artie) and the bland newbies (Marley and new Puckerman) and the demotion of fan favorites to recurring (Will, Emma, etc) have killed the show. Glee Project and its resulting winners made it lack any credibility. I would be ok with it continuing if the winners were given much more limited time on Glee (like one episode). Look how long we were subject to Rory and how much longer is Sam going to stick around….ugh?

36. Blank Slate says:

GOING, not “king” in above post.

37. Ana says:

I’m actually relieved. The show is already crowded enough. There are currently three Glee Project participants that are sucking up a whole lot of screen time, especially Alex and Blake while we go for episodes without seeing the original talent that drew us to Glee to begin with. Not to mention that they seem to always pick the wrong winner. I honestly hope it stays canceled. The ratings were mediocre at best anyways…

38. Randy says:

I love Glee but hate The Glee Project. Get rid of it and all the character’s it has brought to Glee. Maybe then I can get more Santana, Quinn, and the rest of the originals I actually watch the show for.

39. karenb says:

NOOOOO!!!!! We loive this show at our house! It’s way better than glee! Looking so forward to it. Everyone just better get it together and get the show on the road. Or on the TV lol

40. Boo! Glee Project was so much better than Glee!

41. Roger Canada says:

Come on, the reality was the only good thing about Glee

42. Shannon says:

I actually liked Damien,Samuel and liked their characters. it would have been nice to see them continue as regular characters on the show. I liked Wade/Unique at first, but that character is getting old. The problem with Glee is that Joe, Suga etc have all but disappeared from the show w/o explanation, the show is not very good at intertwining Glee with the cast anymore. This season the 1st half was alright and they were working towards compettition etc.. The 2nd half has been all about the Marley Love Triangle etc that bores me to tears. Not only that, but Artie, Tina, Blaine, Sam, Britany those that are supposedly to have the reigns of Glee club and have their time to shine have yet been again pushed to the background while we get to focus on the new kids who really do not amuse me at all. In the 1st 3 seasons the show had a great way to blend Glee club and the personal lives of the cast via music. The Glee club was the focus and they were always about the competition and practicing. this season the competitions are like a bleep on the radar and is merely mentioned as “oh we have regionals in a week”. They do not discuss what songs to sing, costumes etc.. Then we get glimpses of New Nork, but instead of seeing the school and classes and interacting with new people we get stuck with rachel and Kurt in their apartment and songs that cut bak to McKinley. If the new kids are going to stick around push them into the background and let other shine and have people to look up to etc.. intertwine stories better, have the focus be on competitions glee club, where are the other schools their rivals?,other sports teams?, competitions?, Also do a better job of keeping the originals in or just move the focus back to them and scrap the McKinley High. I started watching because I thought it was a cute show and it didn’t hurt that Matthew Morrison is really hot. This season I am getting bored with every week being a love triangle angst between marley/jake/ryan. kitty so evil etc.. hardly anytime is spent in glee club, practicing, no mention of competition or fierce practicing. Rachel was obsessed with practicing, competitions etc..
    If they wanted Marley to be the new Rachel they should have made her the same competitveness and eagarness to compete. I thought Tina was going to be the new Rachel as Rachel stated last season that just wait until next year and it will be your turn to shine.

43. Dellie Q. says:

They should just make a Damian McGinty & Cameron Mitchell show.

44. steven says:

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! The first step to Glee being gone forever has been completed. MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

45. Truth hurts says:

It should be canceled and the reality show winners or rejects has contributed to the fall of glee. I never like any of the people who came from the show and it was a bad idea from the beginning like the story lines going on now. But I think they should put glee out of its misery. The decision to graduate many of the character was horrible and the new cast members who are really light version of former or current cast members

46. Gav says:

I wouldn’t mind if it got canceled. Season 1 was fun, but season 2 was just plain boring and none of the contestants were Glee worthy. With season 1, every Gleek I was following on Tumblr was watching and liveblogging it like a regular Glee episode With season 2, people we’re only talking about Dani when she got cut and about that ‘If I Were a Boy’ performance. No one cared for the rest at all.

47. Caro says:

Who cares? Glee Project was horrible!

48. Zoe says:

I thought of auditioning for TGP back in its first season. I’m really glad I never did.

49. Danny Smith says:

For those of you who think Glee has lost a ton of ratings you are right. But the 4th season still is averaging about 6 million viewers. Fox’s other shows, the Mindy Project, New Girl, Raising Hope, all average 5 million or less. They are still popular. The demographic for Glee is strong still. Yes the show has a large cast, yes it is not the same as it was in the beginning but when the show started everyone knew that it had to change. ER did and it was still super successful. So I know I’ll probably get ripped apart for this but I don’t care. Glee is still a good show and I hope they get a 5th season. If for nothing else to wrap up loose ends and close with a finale they deserve.

50. Kobe Busia says:

Ok, here’s what I think; I am one of those people who actually like the Glee Project more than Glee itself. During the summer, I re-watched the first season over again, and now that I really think about it, Ryan Murphy and Co. were trying to make the winner’s character story lines write themselves. I loved the Glee Project even more during season 2. Why? Because the contestants were more talented overall, they actually choreographed their performances, the weekly challenges were more intense and difficult, and the contestants were more likable. Sure, some people were either eliminated at the wrong time or eliminated altogether (Abraham, Shanna, Charlie), and some people like Michael and Lilly were unnecessarily kept in the competition for so long, but overall, the season was great, and this time, the judges/mentors selected the winner based on his acting ability first and foremost, and Blake Jenner is a solid actor, who can also deliver some great singing chops. All these reasons are exactly why I want a 3rd season of the Glee Project, it’s more enjoyable than Glee itself. Danny Smith, thank you for your comment, I totally agree with you, and I’m not gonna rip you apart for defending Glee the way you did. Bring back the Glee Project