Revolution Recap: Major Power Play

Revolution - Season 1Monday’s Revolution finally revealed what caused the power to go out 15 years ago, and the answer is: Tiny, tiny, tiny computers?

RELATED | 2013 TV Shows — Renewed or Cancelled?

Rachel shows Aaron a sketch of a design involving a very small circular object with extending arms. Each one is the size of a virus, and they’re everywhere, even in the air they’re breathing at that moment. There’s a couple hundred quadrillion of these things floating around out there with two programmed commands: To absorb electricity and to replicate. One day, something went wrong in the tower and they started reproducing out of control.

And there you have it.

Elsewhere, Monroe gives Neville a mission to retrieve something very important. But before he leaves, Neville exchanges some name-calling with Randall (Randall: “Your record represents a staggering level of incompetence.” Neville: “You’re just a civilian with a smug smile and a cheap suit.”) The officer ends up proving Randall right though when he lets himself get hijacked by Miles and the rebels on the road while joyfully listening to Lionel Richie. Rachel wants to kill Neville for what he did to Ben and Danny, but Miles plans to beat him, let him heal and then beat him again until he tells them where he was headed.

RELATED | Revolution Casts Annie Wersching Cast as [Spoiler]‘s First Love

It appears that Neville’s about to find a way out when Jason, who has joined the rebels, sneaks in to talk to his father. “What’d I do wrong?” he asks. “I did everything you asked me to. I hurt people. Killed people. For you. And you just look right through me. What more did you want from me?”

“If you’re weak, you’re dead,” Neville replies. “I didn’t want you to be like that. I didn’t want you to be like me so I was hard on you. Maybe too hard. But Jason, I was always proud of you, I swear to God.”

The sweet heart-to-heart is cut short when Jason announces that the speech is “crap.” His dad is just telling him what he wants to hear so he’ll cut him loose. “I know you too well,” he adds.

So Neville pulls out the trump card. If he doesn’t complete his mission and return home, Monroe will have Jason’s mom killed. The good son doesn’t want that, right? Jason unlocks his father from his restraints and tells him he’s going with him since mom’s safety is at stake. Neville reveals the location of his destination, but not why he’s been sent there.

“It’s OK. You said enough,” responds Jason as the doors swing open to reveal Miles and the gang. Oh snap, Jason played his dad! And it worked! And I totally didn’t see it coming. You know what else I didn’t notice? That nail that Neville somehow swiped and used to unlock himself before killing Nora’s friend. And how did he get home so fast to warn his wife to get out of dodge?

As for the mystery mission, the rebels arrive at the site to find Randall getting a suitcase from a man. He manages to escape the gunfire, but there’s still some troubling evidence left behind in the form of flammable materials and weapon-like sketches. If Monroe is building a nuke, how are the rebels to fight back? Rachel’s answer: She and Aaron will travel across the Plains Nation to the tower to turn the power back on. Miles isn’t thrilled about this plan, especially since it involves giving everyone power back, even Texas. But judging from the very passionate kiss he finally laid on Rachel after she told him to take better care of Charlie than he ever took of her, we’re betting he’s also not pleased that she is leaving with no plans to come back.

Revolution fans, what did you think of the blackout reveal? Did Jason prove himself to be a worthy rebel? And how steamy was that kiss?

1. M says:

After that kiss, and the comment Rachel made about Charlie being like Miles, is anyone else thinking maybe there is a stronger connection bt Charlie and Miles than just niece and uncle….?? Just a thought….

• Jamie says:

Agreed. I’ve been saying from the start that Charlie is miles daughter. This episode I think just proved the point. It would only make sense.

• Chloe says:

I’m thinking the same thing.

• Mary says:

I think so too. Although I had thought they got close after she was Miles’ and Monroe’s prisoner. I love how Jason totally played his dad. Not sure how I like the reason for the electricity going off, though I’m warming up to the concept as I’m thinking more about it. I wonder how do those pendants just make some things have electricity? Do they have the “antidote” to the virus on their hard drive? If so wouldn’t Rachel need one to turn on the power? It was a good episode. I had kind of wanted Charlie to go with Rachel & Aaron though. Won’t they need protection – Charlie is pretty darn good with a bow and arrow.

• Kristen says:

I actually took the look on Miles’ face in the closing segment to mean that there was no way he was letting them go alone. I mean how many other times has he gone back on his word when it involves the safety of those he cares about. I think he’s going to give them a head start, but in the end he follows them to the Tower.

• Gillian says:

Agreed. I’ve thought that for a while, too. Miles and Rachel have amazing chemistry. I just hope the show doesn’t continue to separate them just when they are gaining momentum. Also, does anyone else miss the flashbacks? I find the show lacking without the flashbacks. This is a different show than it was before hiatus. I hope they can regain some traction for next season. Add more Elizabeth Mitchell & Billy Burke please!

• mic7 says:

Kinda got that impression back in the episode where Charlie saw Ben when she was “dying”. It was Miles voice that brought her back…like somehow she subconsciously knew that Miles was her real Dad. Anyway your are right about the chemistry between Rachel and Miles…it’s amazing…hate to see them go their separate ways but maybe that’s just to keep the relationship secret for a while longer although Nora suspects. Hope they don’t kill Rachel off (even if she does think this is a one way trip).

• Riddle says:

*Darth Vader voice* Charlie, Miles is your father. *Darth Vader voice*

2. I’m sorry but they could have kept that half-baked idea of “tiny tiny computers” and waited until they came up with a logical explanation. Another show in danger of getting voted off of DVR Island.

• Lilly says:

C’mon, at least it’s original! This is fantasy entertainment. I like the show and am beginning to be invested in some of the characters (if they’ll quit killing all but Charlie & Miles). I’m perfectly willing to give it some more time.

• JC says:

Tiny, tiny computers are not a fantasy, (or a half-baked idea) it’s called nanotechnology and it already exists.

• MzTeaze says:

I know a little about nanotechnology and realize that it exists. However, based on the way the show has executed the idea, it still comes off as half-baked IMO. They really should have waited or developed the idea to present in a more reasonable manner.

One example being, based on the current understanding, there are serious health implications to breathing in nanotech which in rats translates to brain and lung damage. Funny how folks who would have been breathing this in for 15+ years looked perfectly fluffed and blown dry :-).

Just one reason why simply claiming it’s plausible is plain silly.

• JA says:

Google nanotechnology. This is why Kripke said the cause was plausible…because it is.

• Mary says:

That’s what I thought too but it makes sense. It’s a twist on biological warfare. The computer virus can infect anything electrical and can “travel” around the world quickly. The pendants probably carry the “antidote”. What I wonder is how the viruses aren’t affecting their bodies as we all produce electricity (atoms in our brains, synapses, etc) but I guess the virus only affects man made electricity? I think I’m thinking too much about it now ;-)

3. Fox says:

Giancarlo Esposito, Colm Feore, and Kim Raver should be the focus of the show. Myles, Charlie, and the nerd are just awful. The season is halfway in and I find myself rooting for everyone except the rebels.

4. How did Neville get the nail? Was it just a “plot device” or was it shown on screen?

5. Elyse says:

Jason :) I love Jason being with the rebels.

6. ncmacasl says:

The Nano-computers smelled an awful lot like Midi-chlorians!!!

7. kirads09 says:

I am afraid this show has lost me as viewer completely. Too many inconsistencies and none of the characters have become even remotely likeable or believable to me. Killing off the main person they were trying rescue from the beginning (Danny). Constant changing of minds back and forth – often in the same episode!
    Examples – Charlie from “Miles, we can’t hurt people” to wanting to fight and kill. (I do have to say I enjoy her a little more as a bada** than a whiny brooding drama queen.) Her mother from not wanting to leave Charlie/her family to having to go to the Tower and make things right. Stick a fork in me, I’m done here.

8. shamangrrl says:

Gotta say, I agree with Tammi and MzTeaze. Half-baked idea. If the programming is to absorb energy and replicate, and everyone has been breathing them in for 15 minutes (never mind 15 years), everyone would be dead. Our energy would be absorbed and we’d be breeding beds for the nanotech. Makes absolutely no sense from a scientific viewpoint or a common sense viewpoint.

9. eileen hargis says:

The apple doesnt fall far from the tree …. Charley and Miles

10. cjeffery7 says:

if they absorb electricity, wouldn’t that mean no thunderstorms?? i feel like the lack of electricity EVERYWHERE would create a pretty significant imbalance in nature…

11. Plum says:

Why in the world would Randall send Neville to some secret mission, and then turn around and go himself? This show is so frustrating. I kinda got annoyed with the silly nano-bots explanation; why not just blame tasked satellites for zapping the power, or a ginourmous EMP blast? Something a tiny bit more believable than floating microbots.

This ep shredded the last of my interest in Revolution.

• Jules says:

I don’t get the part about the mini-computers either, but the part about Neville was basically explained in the show, Monroe does not trust him, so he sends him off, as kind of a last-chance to prove his loyalty, and when he fails, Randall goes after it, because they still need it..

12. jonathon says:

i thought i liked this show just for fun on the first half of the season in the fall but Kripke was right, it really did start picking up in the 2nd half. was starting to like danny but i’ll admit that since he died this show has intensified alot and i think it became the best decision in the show because it feels like a whole new show now. loving it!

13. Ashley Crawford says:

Loved the kiss,the kiss was hot.What woman wouldn’t want to be kissed by Miles like that?I think Jason can be trusted and as for why the power went out dosen’t really matter to me.I mean the writers are writing the show not me.I just enjoy the show and the characters more than I have any show since Lost.

14. Olive says:

The last episode showed that this show finally found its footing. Charlie isn’t irritating any\more. Sorry to say but Danny being out of the way is a good thing. My only gripe is the actor playing Monroe is not convincing as a villain with Giancarlo Esposito around. I predict Neville will progress into the main villain, a progression that is as important as Charlie’s growth.

15. HappyGoLucky says:

Every single person who hates this show doesn’t like “the answers” they are giving, reminds me of another group of fans (Lost)… Honestly I could give two nickels about the stupid answers, I want the story, the drama and the action.

All of you answer seekers stay away, your constant bitching took away from the story of one of my favorite character driven shows of all time and turned it into an answer spewing plodding mess.

16. Nick says:

I do agree the whole nanobot thing is a little much. I do like the concept that Flynn let the power go out as revenge on the world for his son. And I would love to see Neville become the main villian, he has the stones for badassness. But the show is on shakey ground it can go easily awesome or Netflicks fodder really soon.

17. Joe Huy says:

the show should try to focus more on the reality of it all— hunger—- the fat guy should be losing weight big time— the girls should not have makeup…. the clothes should be tattered— looking for clean sources of water- etc…..

18. Jo says:

this whole thing about miles being charlie’s father, I thought about that too. but it would be interesting if Bass turns out to be charlies father. I think there was something between rachel and bass. just like miles and bass had a love affair with the same hometown girl. Miles being rachel’s father, is too predictable. How else is miles going to keep from killing bass?