Cougar Town's Dan Byrd Teases Two Firsts Ahead for Travis and Laurie in Season Finale

Cougar Town Season 4 Finale PreviewThis Tuesday night, TBS’ Cougar Town puts a cork on Season 4 with a double-helping of episodes kicking off at 10/9c and setting the stage for romance, finally, for Jules’ son Travis and her wild child sidekick Laurie.

As last week’s Breakfast Club-by episode closed, the longtime platonic pals realize “they’re on the same page. They now know that they like each other,” Dan Byrd tells TVLine. “But how do they transition their relationship from what it’s been their entire lives into something different? As well all know, that is no easy task a lot of times.”

RELATED | Save the Dates: Our Calendar of More Than 100 Season and Series Finales!

The first step, of course is The First Date, but even that proves problematic for the potential lovebirds. “I don’t want to give too many specifics and ‘mess up the journey’ for people, but one of the things they do is sit and try to watch a movie together, with the idea that maybe things will get romantic,” Byrd previews, “but they end up just sitting and watching the movie!”

The other threshold to cross is The First Kiss, which gives Travis, in particular, some anxiety. As Byrd explains, “Laurie is kind of at the wheel, in that she is the older, more experienced one, so Travis tries to man up and take charge of the situation. But he’s definitely scrambling.”

All told, Byrd describes the road immediately ahead of the would-be couple “as kind of bumpy,” which makes all the sense in the world. “The way they’ve done the Travis/Laurie thing, that back-and-forth with them both sort of conflicted about the situation, seems like a good way to go about it,” the actor observes. “I think it will all build to a nice climactic moment at the end.”

RELATED | Cougar Town Renewed for Season 5 By TBS

In fact, Byrd admits that braving this new territory wasn’t the easiest feat for him and scene partner Busy Phillips, either. “I’m not going to lie — it was weird for both of us. We’ve been working together for three or four years, so we’ve definitely developed a great rapport, but it’s much more on a brother/sister level than one exhibiting any type of other tension — which I think is the healthy way to go about it given that she’s married,  has a child, and has another one on the way!” he says with a laugh. “But that’s your job as an actor, to pretend and get outside of yourself.”

Adding to any anxiety was the fact that Cougar Town, dating back to its ABC run, long ago planted the seed for romance to one day bloom between the besties. So expectations are high. “I was excited to see the relationship between them evolve and mature into something else, because I think that will be interesting for the show,” Byrd notes, “but there’s definitely pressure. You want it to come to fruition in a way people will be excited about.”

RELATED | TBS Sets Premiere Dates for Men at Work, Donald Faison’s Who Gets the Last Laugh?

However the season finale ends, the good news is that the aftermath can be explored — and much more grape can be pounded by the Cul-de-Sac Crew — now that the show has been renewed for Season 5.

“We knew the intention when [TBS] initially picked us up was to do two seasons of 13-15 episodes, to put us in syndicatable territory, so we were ‘hopefully optimistic,'” Byrd recalls. “But I’m definitely relieved and comforted by the official news.”

Want scoop on your favorite show? Email mattmtvguy@gmail.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Nicole says:

I’m sure it’s also super awkward that Busy Phillips is super pregnant as well! Love these two, and glad they’re finally getting together. The timing is right.

2. Liz says:

I hate the long breaks in between seasons, but I love that it was renewed.

3. Courtney says:

I’m so excited!! Can’t wait to see them as a couple = )!

4. rebecca says:

I love everything about Cougar Town except for this. I don’t like them together at all.

• Ram510 says:

I agree 100%! They should just keep it as a brother/sister relationship. It’s just not a good match and I wish it would stop.

• Lola says:

Yes! This absolutly. They are like brother and sister. It’s too weird!

• Tenney says:

I completely, completely agree. I don’t like them together at all. How weird is it to date your good friend’s son? OR How weird is it to date one of your mom’s best friends?

• Mikael says:

It’s like what Grayson said when Jules introduced him to Bobby’s girlfriend Angie last season and Jules said that Grayson was her fiance who is also her ex-husband’s best friend. Grayson said something like “Sometimes the truth sounds weird when you say it out loud.” I think Travis/Laurie work, but you just can’t think about the technicalities.

• Missmade says:

OR how weird is it to sleep with someone who slept with your stepdad?

• Dane says:

Completely agree. I find it super weird. I just hope they don’t spend a lot of time on them.. .

• Tia says:

Agree with this. Everything is awesome on Cougar town, but I really don’t like these two together.

5. Martin says:

Am I the only one that thinks that this makes it sound like Season 5 will definitely be the last season of Cougar Town no matter what? – Say It Ain’t So, TV Line, Say It Ain’t So!!

6. amy says:

What what??!! Love cougar town

7. Babygate says:

I love Cougartown, so much I dvr the episodes on syndication. But… I’m not a Laurie/Travis fan. I know Dan is 27 but he really looks like he’s 19 and Busy is 33 so this feels a little pervy to me.

8. Pepper says:

It’s a big yuck. Dan Byrd has this soft baby-face and Busy Philipps… I love her and she’s beautiful but compared to his face, hers is a bit man-ish. Especially with that awful makeup she wears on the show. It makes her look like, well, a cougar. 10 years older than she really is.

• mia says:

Sooo….your main reason for being against this is because Busy isn’t pretty enough (by your standards)? That’s so vapid and shallow. But I’m sure you a drop dead gorgeous, so judge away.

9. Dr. Bombay says:

Sorry but the Laurie/Travis thing is just terrible. It’s so awkward how Travis is always hanging around with the gang. It all seems so forced.

10. mia says:

I’m definitely okay with the Travis/Laurie thing. They have great chemistry and I think it’ll add some zing to the show. And really make Jules go crazy (with them dating and then wanting to be involved so it goes right). I think it’ll work

11. The Laurie/Travis relationship evolved in such an amazing way, it felt very organic and I’m very pleased with the way they’ve been written this season. Good job Cougar Town writers and I can’t wait for tonight’s episode!

12. Kay says:

I love Laurie/Travis! It’s happening at the right time. Any earlier would have been weird. I love them now. The build up has been awesome.

13. Julia says:

I don’t mind Laurie/Travis; but, I don’t ship them. Next season, I just hope their romance doesn’t take over the show.

14. Kristina says:

Really, really not interested in seeing Laurie and Travis happen. I was so hoping they’d steer away from that. I’m not sure if it’s the characters’ age difference or the circumstances but I find it gross (not the actors, I love them).

15. Jen says:

I don’t like them together. She looks SO much older. I just am not feeling the chemistry.