Bravo Cancels Kathy After Two Seasons

Get More: Cancellations

Kathy CancelledKathy Griffin is now free to pursue that prospective CNN talk show with Anderson Cooper: Bravo has cancelled her late-night gabfest, Kathy, after two seasons, TVLine has learned.

RELATED | TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard: What’s Cancelled? What’s Coming Back? What’s on the Bubble?

Griffin confirmed the show’s demise during a stand-up performance Friday night at Cincinnati’s Taft Theatre.

Kathy premiered last spring and, despite low ratings, was renewed for a second season (which kicked off in January).

Earlier this year, CNN commissioned a talk show pilot featuring Griffin and her New Years Eve sidekick Cooper. The news net has yet to greenlight the project.

Comments (41)

• Nooo :( She may not have had the natural talk show talent, but the show was so much fun to watch. :(

Crossing my fingers for the Anderson/Kathy show. I know a lot of people hate her, but she’s such an awesome character.

Comment by Marin Kuharić (@Prkan_708) – April 6, 2013 08:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really enjoyed this show.

Hopefully, her CNN show with The Silver Fox is a success

Comment by Julia – April 6, 2013 08:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have to say, I’d be more likely to tune to a show with both of them. They play off each other very well.

Comment by ES – April 6, 2013 08:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I fear that Jeff Zucker as president of CNN, it’s doing more harm than good. He’s damaged goods after the Conan/Leno debacle.

Comment by Esaul – April 6, 2013 09:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Zucker was damaged goods before that. He took NBC from a successful network to a failure. How he got the job running CNN is a mystery.

Comment by maggie – April 6, 2013 10:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah, that is true. I didn’t start paying attention to Zucker until he placed Jay Leno at 10 PM. :/

Comment by Esaul – April 7, 2013 06:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • CNN hired Zucker to hopefully pick up his ‘Today’ magic. When he was running ‘Today’, they were solidly No. 1 for years. After that, he went downhill in his decision making. That culminated in his ill-fated Conan-for-Leno swap.

Comment by Bob – April 8, 2013 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just want My Life on the D List back =(

Comment by Kristen – April 6, 2013 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well it’s back to the D-List for Kathy…. they can never let her have too much fun.

Comment by Brendan – April 6, 2013 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • thank god. one trashy show less

Comment by Toms1€ – April 6, 2013 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Are you kidding? I am all about Bravo, but this was a stupid move. They have a show above internet kitties and they cancel Kathy?

Comment by Big Nate – April 6, 2013 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think that show got cancelled too. But I get your point.

Comment by Amber – April 6, 2013 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know Canada doesn’t mean anything to American ratings and so on, but sometimes you can tell the fate of a show when nobody picks it up here. The first season ran here on the Canadian verson of E!, but it was dropped for the second season. Too bad. I hope thinks work out with Anderson on CNN.

Comment by TV Gord – April 6, 2013 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i AM SAD ABOUT IT, BECAUSE IT ALWAYS HAPPENS TO kATHY, I ACTUALLY JUST LEARNED TO ENJOY HER HUMOR, BUT i DON’T THING ENOUGH PEOPLE TRY IT EVERY SHOW THAT SHE STARTS GETS CANCELED.GOOD LUCK TO HER SHE IS A NICE PERSON. sOMETIMES SHE TRIES TO HARD, BECAUSE SHE WANTS TO MAKE SO BAD.

Comment by Manny Cristiane Karamanolis – April 6, 2013 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Is your caps lock broken??

Comment by Mike – April 6, 2013 08:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked Kathy but didn’t like this show. The only enjoyable part was the pretaped segments featuring her going somewhere or with her crew. It just made me want D List to come back.

Comment by Mark – April 6, 2013 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m with you. The first couple of episodes were funny but she lost me quickly. She never seemed to listen to her guests. . I will miss her mother and her assistant though.

Comment by rio – April 7, 2013 07:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • she’s funny & cool….but this show was a BOREFEST !!!!…bizarre & obscure “celebrity” guests….zzzzzzzzzzzzz……..bring back the “D” list please.

Comment by anonymous@hotmail.com – April 6, 2013 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dreadful, unffuny show. Kathy’s manic energy is funny when she’s alone, but she constantly talked over and derailed guests on her show. All the other elements that attempted late night humour were weak and cheap.

Comment by Sally – April 6, 2013 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • you can’t have a talk show when you base your entire career on making fun & mocking celebrities…..no one good will go on your show…..so then you end up with a couch full of obscure rap-stars no ones ever heard of and russell brand….fart noise here.

Comment by anonymous@hotmail.com – April 6, 2013 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, she had nothing but obscure people on her show…such as Jane Fonda, Jimmy Kimmel Kris Jenner and Wilson Phillips.

I think some people were expecting something completely different than what Kathy does. I took the show for what it was, and I was entertained. I only got to see the first season, but I enjoyed it.

Comment by TV Gord – April 6, 2013 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The less we see of her, the better. Don’t feel bad for her though, she’ll go back to her tasteless stand-up routines where she insults those more attractive/successful than her.

Comment by Behzad – April 6, 2013 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ITA she and Chelsea Handler are just too vulgar for my taste.

Comment by lyn – April 6, 2013 03:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Both Kathy Griffin and Chelsea Handler are just vulgar enough for my tastes. :-) Sometimes I wonder if some people realize you’re not forced to watch anything you don’t like.

Comment by TV Gord – April 6, 2013 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She does much more than that. She performs for American soldiers in the Middle East (both Iraq and Afghanistan), advocates for at-risk youth, fund raises, and keeps her 92-y.o. mother active and engaged in life.

Comment by BTM – April 6, 2013 06:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Two seasons too long.

Comment by RoG – April 6, 2013 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought the show was pretty funny. And I am not really a Kathy Griffin fan

Comment by Carm – April 6, 2013 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVED HER SHOW ,WAS SO DIFF,LOVED THE NEIGHBOR GUY

Comment by Kathleen Arbacheski Kondracki – April 6, 2013 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • well so much for promotion. I had been waiting for news of when the second season was going to begin. I didn’t realize it had already. I am sure I am not the only one too, maybe that is why ratings were down.

Comment by scorpo – April 6, 2013 03:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Kathy & Chelsea. Humor is not e-z. They are so talented they make it appear easy. Get a life nay-sayers.

Comment by Mons – April 6, 2013 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe they cancelled Kathy’s show but Bravo has no issue pushing the Housewives (insert any random city) down our throats. What do the Housewives offer viewers other than showing former freaks with bad facelifts who marry rich men and then complain about how bad their lives are by manufacturing some type of drama they create. Kathy has something all those ladies never did — TALENT! I hope Kathy told Bravo to kiss her butt.

Comment by Scottyb – April 6, 2013 07:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • IMO the more Kathy Griffin the better. Can’t wait to see her new show.

Comment by Ron Avila – April 6, 2013 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you, God.

Comment by Starship Captain – April 7, 2013 08:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There is a god.

Comment by Molly – April 7, 2013 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank heavens for this! Hoping and praying that this talentless, unfunny attention-whore goes back to oblivion.

Comment by D-Lister – April 8, 2013 03:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bravo – you’ve made a mistake canceling Kathy and not those stupid Housewives shows. Those are utterly the most awful shows on TV. Please take them off, not Kathy!

Comment by Vicki – April 8, 2013 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So what does Anderson Cooper give up in order to do a show with KG? He has his own syndicated daytime talk show, 360 on CNN at night, and occasional stories for 60 Minutes. My guess is his free time will come about when his daytime show gets canned.

Comment by Bob – April 8, 2013 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think Kathy was exactly cut out for this format of talk show. However, I still thoroughly enjoyed the show. I think the quality varied from episode to episode depending on her guests and how game they were for her brand of manic fun.

I hope the CNN thing will pan out. Kathy and Anderson’s New Years Eve has been a staple of my NYE parties for the past few years and I think their chemistry really works.

Also glad to see some other ‘Housewives’ hate here. I am sick of Andy Cohen and his trashy Housewives franchise.

“I remember when Bravo use to air operas.”
    –Jack Donaghy

Comment by Steve (@Stevil907) – April 8, 2013 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hi, thanks for sharing

Comment by man – April 9, 2013 08:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am really upset, I loved the show and I actually didn’t even know it was back until it’s last two episodes of the second season!

Comment by Hotspot-Kai-James (@SuikoKyaCross) – April 9, 2013 07:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SO VERY GLAD THEY CANCELLED THIS SHOW//ONE F THE MST FOUL MOUTHED WOMEN IN THE WORLD//DO EVERYONE A FAVOR AND TAKE HER OFF TV

Comment by Dorothy Carnes – November 21, 2013 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post