History Renews Vikings for Season 2

Vikings_trioHistory has renewed its hit period drama Vikings for a 10-episode second season.

Five episodes into its rookie season, the show stands as cable’s No. 1 new series with an average audience of 5 million viewers.

RELATED | Katheryn Winnick: Vikings Quest ‘Put Me Through the Wringer, Emotionally, Which Was a Gift’

Vikings is a win win for us,” said History’s top programming exec Dirk Hoogstra in a statement. “As our first scripted series, it has paid off in a big way with critical acclaim, strong ratings and a passionate, loyal fan base… We could not be more proud of the entire cast and crew and everyone involved.”

Season 2 will begin production this summer to air in 2014.

1. megan says:

2. LBrookieF says:

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am a huge fan of this show, I cannot wait for the rest of Season 1 and now Season 2!!!

3. wrstlgirl says:

More Ragnar !!*#@!!*#@!!*#@!!

4. WTactualF says:

More Lagertha! She’s a badass shield maiden.

5. Katherine215 says:

Love this show!! I’m really enjoying Ragnar and Lagertha’s relationship the most. She’s so badass and that’s what he seems to like about her. He also has a really great, understated humor in the show, too.

6. Mo says:

I love basically everything about this show so this is fantastic news! Now to watch the rest off the season…

7. kirads09 says:

This makes me happy.

8. DJ says:

Yes More Ragnar!!!!!

9. Dee says:

I like the relationship between Ragnar and the monk in that they are both really wanting to learn from each other. :)

• Shygurl06112 says:

I believe season 2 will show the slave gaining his freedom, especially considering hiw Ragnar already treats him a step better than a slave, like an actual human being instead of mere property.

The son of Ragnar I believe will become a brat who will usr his status to get what he wants(good & bad), instead of working for what he has, like his Dad.

10. jhanse says:

Hope the whole cast will be back for season 2. Specifically Jessalyn Gilsig and Gabriel Byrne.

• That one Guy says:

Wouldnt that be kind of tough to get Gabriel Byrne back? Unless its a “Luke & Laura” show, I think death is permanent in this universe.

11. Elyse says:

when does the show air (day and time?) and is there a way I can get caught up on the episodes that have already aired?

12. Evyn says:

Yessss!!!! awesome news!!!!

13. I’m extremely pleased by this news! Vikings not only has great characters (and actors) but a fantastic storyline to maintain a viewers interest. Thank you HISTORY for Season 2!

14. Great show,& we all enjoyed working on it,so it’s great to hear the news of 10 episodes.hope were all back?!!! Jasper

15. kelli says:

so happy but mad that I have to wait a year! floki better not die, he’s my favorite. he reminds me of Cicero from skyrim haha

• That one Guy says:

Im looking forward to seeing how close to the historically inaccurate story that has been used. Aella killed Ragnar in every myth I have read, and his 3 sons avenged him.

Near as I can tell at this point, he has 1 son, 1 daughter and one spontaneous abortion…

Interesting episode about sacrificing in the Norse world this week…

• lee says:

Story is young. According to myth ragnard ship wrecked and his 4 sons avenged him with the great heathen army.

Rangard was a king of Sweden then. He just made earl. And he just met his new wife last episode.

Ragnard still has atleast 20 or more years left. Before alleah throws him in the sneak pit.

16. lyn says:

Love the show, the cast is perfect, love the theme song and the scenery.. Please don’t have Ragnar casting his ‘seed’ around to get more sons other than by Lagertha. Their relationship is wonderful to watch.

Good job HISTORY channel!!

17. Chuck says:

Loved the first few episodes. The new smug facial expression and attitude of Ragnar is the reason I’ve stopped watching it. Maybe its just bad direction from the director, but it completely takes away from the realism of the show and makes me feel like Im watching the acting of a bad soap opera.

18. Jennifer Perry says:

This is my new favorite show! It has everything a girl loves, sexy man wielding an axe, a badass warrior chic and a great love story between those great characters! I have to say though, that I was dissappointed with the last few episodes. To much happened in a very short period of time and I was left scratching my head wondering if I missed something. Not liking Ragnar’s character right now. It seems he has completely changed since the beginning of the series. Bring back the honorable Ragnar!!!

19. Thomas says:

One of the best series I have seen since the original Dallas.
    The only suggestion I would have is to have more “cliff hangers”.

• mamalyn says:

More cliff hangers??? Yikes! I can’t wait to see how Lagertha AND esp. Ragnar’s son will take to this new baby BOY by the princess! And then there’s Rollo jealous deceit.

20. justin says:

I like realistic nature of the who but I fear too many sub-plots will make it just another soap opera

21. Jane says:

Was episode 9 the finale? I’m confused. Where’s 10??
    Awesome show

22. marilu says:

why do we have to wait a whole year??? I hate that you get hooked and then have to wait so long. It’s not just this show, it’s Downton Abby and Grimm too!!!

23. birdie says:

i love love love this series. so interesting and real, would love to see more shows like this on tv

24. Joan Collins says:

We are addicted to watching this show. Great grisly scripts, I bet they didn’t do any better in the dark ages. I think the original Vikings would be pleased as how they were portrayed. I wonder it the writers will take it a step further and tell the true story of how they made it all the way east past Ireland. The ruin stones let us know they were here long before Columbus. I can’t wait until Season 2 starts. Why didn’t we have reruns? WHEN IN 2014????

25. Joan Collins says:

What luck! I was sick in bed on the weekend that the showed every episode of Vikings! It was better than the first time I saw them. Ragnar’s character is so well played and so multilayered.I can’t wait to see season 2. I’m Irish with my roots from Dublin, so who knows the vikings that settled a fishing village there may have shared some of their genes with my ancestors. I’m asking Santa for the CDs of Series 1 and an axe.

26. Carol Muldowney says:

Where can I buy a copy of all the sessions of the Vikings?

27. I thought last season’s VIKINGS was terrific. I’m happy they’ll be back for another season (when?). I hope Ragnar doesn’t go off the deep end being so full of himself. His oldest son seems the most dangerous one of all. Is Lagertha really the sanest one in the group?

Netflix may have all of last seasons episodes.

28. Jean Margetts says:

When does this air again in 2014 as there are now comercials but no dates for when season 2 starts

29. Plus yeah, it’s a time waster, like all else online (perhaps even my being
    right here proper now.

30. Laura says:

Waiting for 2014 and 2015, 16, 17 and etc.
    Want it, got to have it, NEED IT. Kind of obsessed ya think? Hail Ragnar ! ! !