History Renews Vikings for Season 2

Get More: Renewals

Vikings_trioHistory has renewed its hit period drama Vikings for a 10-episode second season.

Five episodes into its rookie season, the show stands as cable’s No. 1 new series with an average audience of 5 million viewers.

RELATED | Katheryn Winnick: Vikings Quest ‘Put Me Through the Wringer, Emotionally, Which Was a Gift’

Vikings is a win win for us,” said History’s top programming exec Dirk Hoogstra in a statement. “As our first scripted series, it has paid off in a big way with critical acclaim, strong ratings and a passionate, loyal fan base… We could not be more proud of the entire cast and crew and everyone involved.”

Season 2 will begin production this summer to air in 2014.

Tags: ,

Comments (43)

Comment by megan – April 5, 2013 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am a huge fan of this show, I cannot wait for the rest of Season 1 and now Season 2!!!

Comment by LBrookieF – April 5, 2013 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • More Ragnar !!*#@!!*#@!!*#@!!

Comment by wrstlgirl – April 5, 2013 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • More Lagertha! She’s a badass shield maiden.

Comment by WTactualF – April 5, 2013 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love this show!! I’m really enjoying Ragnar and Lagertha’s relationship the most. She’s so badass and that’s what he seems to like about her. He also has a really great, understated humor in the show, too.

Comment by Katherine215 – April 5, 2013 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Second everything you have stated.

Comment by Babygate – April 5, 2013 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love basically everything about this show so this is fantastic news! Now to watch the rest off the season…

Comment by Mo – April 5, 2013 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This makes me happy.

Comment by kirads09 – April 5, 2013 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes More Ragnar!!!!!

Comment by DJ – April 5, 2013 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like the relationship between Ragnar and the monk in that they are both really wanting to learn from each other. :)

Comment by Dee – April 5, 2013 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I believe season 2 will show the slave gaining his freedom, especially considering hiw Ragnar already treats him a step better than a slave, like an actual human being instead of mere property.

The son of Ragnar I believe will become a brat who will usr his status to get what he wants(good & bad), instead of working for what he has, like his Dad.

Comment by Shygurl06112 – April 11, 2013 05:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hope the whole cast will be back for season 2. Specifically Jessalyn Gilsig and Gabriel Byrne.

Comment by jhanse – April 5, 2013 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wouldnt that be kind of tough to get Gabriel Byrne back? Unless its a “Luke & Laura” show, I think death is permanent in this universe.

Comment by That one Guy – April 23, 2013 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • when does the show air (day and time?) and is there a way I can get caught up on the episodes that have already aired?

Comment by Elyse – April 5, 2013 04:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s on Sunday nights, various times. It’s really popular so I’m sure they will do a marathon. I’ll probably watch again it’s so good.

Comment by Wrstlgirl – April 5, 2013 04:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • History Channel. First showing is at 10 but then repeats a couple more times and other days throughout the week.

Comment by Babygate – April 5, 2013 04:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Depending on your cable provider. My first showing is at 8:00.

Comment by Wrstlgirl – April 5, 2013 05:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • thanks guys ill have to check it out!

Comment by Elyse – April 5, 2013 05:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • they are replaying the first five episodes tomorrow night on the History Channel. can’t wait to check it out :)

Comment by Elyse – April 5, 2013 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • There ya go! :-)

Comment by Wrstlgirl – April 5, 2013 06:07 PM PDT
  • Yessss!!!! awesome news!!!!

Comment by Evyn – April 6, 2013 04:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m extremely pleased by this news! Vikings not only has great characters (and actors) but a fantastic storyline to maintain a viewers interest. Thank you HISTORY for Season 2!

Comment by Hank (@hanko9) – April 7, 2013 04:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great show,& we all enjoyed working on it,so it’s great to hear the news of 10 episodes.hope were all back?!!! Jasper

Comment by Jasperfkearns – April 13, 2013 09:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • so happy but mad that I have to wait a year! floki better not die, he’s my favorite. he reminds me of Cicero from skyrim haha

Comment by kelli – April 21, 2013 08:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Im looking forward to seeing how close to the historically inaccurate story that has been used. Aella killed Ragnar in every myth I have read, and his 3 sons avenged him.

Near as I can tell at this point, he has 1 son, 1 daughter and one spontaneous abortion…

Interesting episode about sacrificing in the Norse world this week…

Comment by That one Guy – April 23, 2013 03:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Story is young. According to myth ragnard ship wrecked and his 4 sons avenged him with the great heathen army.

Rangard was a king of Sweden then. He just made earl. And he just met his new wife last episode.

Ragnard still has atleast 20 or more years left. Before alleah throws him in the sneak pit.

Comment by lee – May 13, 2013 01:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the show, the cast is perfect, love the theme song and the scenery.. Please don’t have Ragnar casting his ‘seed’ around to get more sons other than by Lagertha. Their relationship is wonderful to watch.

Good job HISTORY channel!!

Comment by lyn – April 22, 2013 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved the first few episodes. The new smug facial expression and attitude of Ragnar is the reason I’ve stopped watching it. Maybe its just bad direction from the director, but it completely takes away from the realism of the show and makes me feel like Im watching the acting of a bad soap opera.

Comment by Chuck – April 24, 2013 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is my new favorite show! It has everything a girl loves, sexy man wielding an axe, a badass warrior chic and a great love story between those great characters! I have to say though, that I was dissappointed with the last few episodes. To much happened in a very short period of time and I was left scratching my head wondering if I missed something. Not liking Ragnar’s character right now. It seems he has completely changed since the beginning of the series. Bring back the honorable Ragnar!!!

Comment by Jennifer Perry – May 5, 2013 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One of the best series I have seen since the original Dallas.
    The only suggestion I would have is to have more “cliff hangers”.

Comment by Thomas – May 7, 2013 04:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • More cliff hangers??? Yikes! I can’t wait to see how Lagertha AND esp. Ragnar’s son will take to this new baby BOY by the princess! And then there’s Rollo jealous deceit.

Comment by mamalyn – May 7, 2013 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like realistic nature of the who but I fear too many sub-plots will make it just another soap opera

Comment by justin – May 7, 2013 08:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Was episode 9 the finale? I’m confused. Where’s 10??
    Awesome show

Comment by Jane – May 20, 2013 05:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • why do we have to wait a whole year??? I hate that you get hooked and then have to wait so long. It’s not just this show, it’s Downton Abby and Grimm too!!!

Comment by marilu – May 27, 2013 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i love love love this series. so interesting and real, would love to see more shows like this on tv

Comment by birdie – June 6, 2013 06:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We are addicted to watching this show. Great grisly scripts, I bet they didn’t do any better in the dark ages. I think the original Vikings would be pleased as how they were portrayed. I wonder it the writers will take it a step further and tell the true story of how they made it all the way east past Ireland. The ruin stones let us know they were here long before Columbus. I can’t wait until Season 2 starts. Why didn’t we have reruns? WHEN IN 2014????

Comment by Joan Collins – August 29, 2013 03:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What luck! I was sick in bed on the weekend that the showed every episode of Vikings! It was better than the first time I saw them. Ragnar’s character is so well played and so multilayered.I can’t wait to see season 2. I’m Irish with my roots from Dublin, so who knows the vikings that settled a fishing village there may have shared some of their genes with my ancestors. I’m asking Santa for the CDs of Series 1 and an axe.

Comment by Joan Collins – October 21, 2013 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where can I buy a copy of all the sessions of the Vikings?

Comment by Carol Muldowney – November 22, 2013 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought last season’s VIKINGS was terrific. I’m happy they’ll be back for another season (when?). I hope Ragnar doesn’t go off the deep end being so full of himself. His oldest son seems the most dangerous one of all. Is Lagertha really the sanest one in the group?

Netflix may have all of last seasons episodes.

Comment by MamaLyn MamaLyn – November 22, 2013 05:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When does this air again in 2014 as there are now comercials but no dates for when season 2 starts

Comment by Jean Margetts – December 21, 2013 04:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post