Mad Men Season 6 Preview -- Plus: Can You Guess What's Going On in 10 Premiere Photos?

In an exclusive red carpet interview with TVLine, Mad Men star Jon Hamm revealed the journey that ad man Don Draper will embark on during Season 6 of the acclaimed AMC drama (premiering Sunday at 9/8c).

“It’s true to character,” Hamm shared. He then added with a laugh: “How vague is that?”

:-/

Such is the super-secretive world of Mad Men, where one would be more likely to coax the formula for Coca-Cola out of Robert W. Woodruff than procure anything resembling intel on the happenings at Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce (or whatever the agency, if it even still exists, is currently named, in whatever year Season 6 takes place).

On the topic of the firm, Hamm reminded that as Season 5 closed, “Things were looking up — even though we had issues with how Joan was treated, and the unfortunate passing of Lane. So, it’s on an upward trend. We’ll see if that trend continues.”

PHOTOS | Mad Men‘s Season 6 Cast Dresses for (Stunning) Success

Speaking of the late Lane, series creator Matt Weiner says the character’s suicide “was sort of the message” of Season 5, that “the money is not enough to keep these people alive. So in terms of the success of the agency, you’ll have to watch. But I can say that [this season] is a new story.”

Though possibly not a less-dark one. “The first episode [of the series] opens with a guy jumping out a window. The show’s dark,” Weiner reminds with a chuckle. “I’m comfortable with that sort of being what our brand is, in a way. But I don’t want it to just be depressing for the hell of it.”

Elisabeth Moss, who is returning as Peggy, echoes the boss man’s sentiment, saying, “I don’t think it’s going to get any lighter! If anything, it gets more in-depth into why it’s so dark and why these characters are so dark. [It] looks a little bit more into what makes them who they are.”

In fact, dare we say things may (may!) be looking brighter for, to put forth one example, Pete Campbell and his family. “Trudy is a little happier than she was last year,” Alison Brie reports, adding the caveat: “At least based on her wardrobe.” (With reporting by Meg Masters)

RELATED | Mad Men Season 6 Poster Clones Don Draper! Plus: Who’s the Mystery Woman?

TVLine now turns it over to you, the savvy Mad Men viewer. Since next to nothing can be disclosed about the two-hour season premiere, flip through these photos and share your best answers to the 13 questions we raise.

1. Teag says:

My goodness this season is gonna be GREAT

2. april-ann says:

Can’t wait. But I lament that we will never again hear Lane say “Jag-you-are”. Except in reruns.

3. Nero theTVFiddler says:

Not certain what will transpire in those photos, but I will say this – love or hate Megan, she really does look like a woman of that late 60’s era – she does. That’s one of the reasons I do like her – she is of that time, spot on, and models those clothes like a model of that era. She definitely has ‘the look’.
    I guess the photos do hint to the ‘timing’ of the S6 episode – holiday season, Christmas time. I’m hoping we will still see some summer/fall 1967 in episode 1 and not jump too far ahead in the timeline between S5 and S6.
    I know Matt has mentioned that S6 will focus more on ‘the characters becoming adults, needing to take responsibility for their success and what that entails.’ However, I always think of the line that I believe Peggy noted in S5 – the line that I think well defines these characters and the times in S5, and perhaps S6: “Why can’t anyone ever be happy with what they have?” [perhaps, Don answers that question with his ‘What is happiness?’ presentation to Dow Chemical.]

Man Men – this Sunday/AMC :)

• Nero theTVFiddler says:

typo correction: Mad Men – this Sunday/AMC

• Butters says:

I agree with you about Megan. the character and my Mom would be the same age at that time in the show and pictures of how my mom wore her hair and clothes are the same as Megan’s. It is spot on.

4. Elizabeth says:

I absolutely love the fact that the show does not give away ANY spoilers. It is great to have the chance to actually be surprised when watching TV these days.

• Diane says:

^ This!! I know it’s kind of ridiculous to crave non-spoilery TV when I am such a frequent visitor to this site, but I do love being surprised by what is going to happen on TV.

5. Katherine says:

I’m so excited for this season! Its fun to have a show that really doesn’t have any spoilers, but you know its going to be worth the wait.

Also, honestly surprised about Trudy and the family being happier. I would have been willing to bet (based on last season) that she and Pete divorced.

6. anna says:

Megan needs to go away.

7. Helene says:

I agree Megan needs to go away’ I dont see her fitting in the picture..
    Last year when she snap at Drunk Don coming late by throwing a plate
    Of spaghetti on the wall was really stupid scene.