Glee Casting News: Katey Sagal Is Artie's Mom!

Katey Sagal Glee Artie MomKevin’s McHale’s wish is Ryan Murphy’s command.

Last summer at Comic-Con, McHale floated the idea of Katey Sagal playing his never-before-seen mother on Glee, and — voilà — Murphy announced late Thursday that the Sons of Anarchy anti-heroine has landed that very role.

“So thrilled to announce my friend Katey Sagal is playing Artie’s mom on Glee,” Murphy wrote on Twitter. “There is nothing this woman can’t do!”

RELATED | Glee Poised to Finish Season 4 Without Finn, as Cory Monteith Enters Rehab

According to sources, Sagal will appear in one episode (slated to air during May sweeps).

There’s no word if Murphy plans to follow through on McHale’s No. 1 choice for Artie’s dad — Harry Connick, Jr.

Glee returns with new episodes on April 11.

1. Elly says:

LOVE! LOVE! LOVE! Ryan Murphy please have her sing!

2. Alyssa *Sons of Anarchy addict* says:

Super excited for this. I really hope that Ryan Murphy has her singing on the show. She is such an incredible actress and singer!

3. Elyse says:

awesome :) can’t wait!

4. G says:

LOVE her, but I don’t want her on this awful show. Hopefully it’s only a one-episode thing so I don’t have to watch too much of it. And hope she gets to sing.

• Ed War says:

-_- Why in all heavens sake would you call this show awful… on a page dedicated to informing Glee fans. That is like walking into a gay bar and insulting gays and talking trash about Same-Sex Marriage. It angers people, and you look dumb because of it

• G says:

Not liking Glee = homophobia? Gotcha! (Oh, Gleeks. Never fail to amuse me)

• carla888 says:

that wasn’t what ed war was saying dumbass. It;d be like going into a kkk meeting and insulting hitler, is another example. Or going to a rugby game and saying you prefer american football. Or going into a church and declaring yourself a satanist. Do you get it now?

• G says:

Wow, these drastic examples to compare someone not liking Glee in a Glee post. Is it really that serious, though? I don’t even know what to say. I commented bc I am a Sagal fan, why can’t I express my opinion on the show, too? Even if it’s not something you agree with, doesn’t make it okay for you guys to be so offended by it. So expressing my dislike for Glee on a Glee posts = homophobia and racism. Okay, cool.

• Logan says:

Because the show is awful. It’s not the same show it used to be. Just because their opinion is different than yours, doesn’t make yours more right. Look who’s the dumb one now!

5. heyang says:

Finally, something special for ‘Artie’. Kevin McHale hasn’t been featured at all this season and he’s one of the better singer/dancers on the show. They should do something special for the ‘veteran’ characters that are supposed to graduate this season (Artie, Tina, Brittany + Blaine and Sam). They’ve largely ignored that they are seniors.

• Desiree says:

Um are you seriously putting Artie and Tina on the same level as Brittany, Blaine, and Sam? They’ve sucked all of the screentime up this season and two of them already have family members.

• Pam says:

The last thing Blaine and Sam have been this season is ignored. I believe the word you are looking for is “overexposed”.

6. Tee says:

I don’t watch Glee anymore but I’ll probably tune in to see her!

7. Peter W says:

LOVE her and LOVE but will this episode air ? coz lets face it glee is more times on a brea then its on tv , we get 2 episodes then a 3 week break then 2 episodes and now ANOTHER 2 week break ? what the hell fox ??? keep screwing with the schedule and no one will watch it ! my friends have given up watching it on tv the wait for the dvd so they can watch it proper , and i might do the same coz this is REDICILIOUS !

8. A says:

LOVE HER!! I still remember when she sang “At Last” in 8 Simple Rules. Beautiful. Great casting choice.

9. Mike says:

Leela!!!

10. Sam says:

oh no. Katey get away from this train wreck fast. you know you’re too good for this.

• REALLY? says:

she is TOO GOOD for this wack ass show! LOVE SONS OF ANARCHY and her charcter is BADASS! she’s one tv’s great actresses………well good luck w/ that can’t for season 6 of S.O.A BITCHES!

11. murley says:

awesome. she is a legend. i hope she sings and i can’t wait to see what brings artie’s mom to the show. i also hope we get to see the betty character again.

12. Para says:

Is it me or glee is so much better in the second half of the season?

• Jillian says:

Agreed. The show has picked up greatly ever since Naya Rivera returned for good.

• DASMITTENKITTEN!😘 says:

NAYA RIVERA IS DA ONLY REASON WHY GLEE IS STILL ON!!! SHE’S DEFINITELY THE ONLY REASON WHY I STILL WATCH IT!!! IF SEASON 5 DOESN’T HAV NAYA RIVERA ON DA SHOW-I WILL STOP WATCHING IT!!! P.S.I THINK DAT KATEY SEGAL WILL B A GR8 ADDITION 2 GLEE!!!

13. Para says:

In general season 4 is at least better than season 3

14. ggny says:

hey look someone that has been there since day 1 finally get a backstory! SHOCKING

15. Bob says:

I would love to hear what her husband has to say about this…

16. stiri online says:

Hy that post was simpley super gratitude for those insights!

17. Great news! I hope she sings.

18. leo says:

Only one episode? Aw, shucks!

19. Mindy says:

She needs to sing and Harry Connick Jr. would be perfect!

20. maggie says:

Love her in SOA!! This should be interesting.

21. Joanna says:

Arties dad should be played by John Cryer

22. Mia says:

OMG!! I love her!! So great that she is from an awesome show and going to be on an awesome show!!! Skrew the haters :p

23. rs says:

where Chris? Is writing the next book fro Land of Stories/

24. tiger says:

Hi, thanks for sharing

25. china says:

I wish Corey nothing but love and support and truly hope he stays on wagon after all is done. He needs to be heathly and a part of Glee. Mostly, if he loves Lea and it seemed they both do this can actually bring them together to the Max, but if he doesn’t get well all of thus will go up in flames. Corey if you read any postings I wish you much love and hope you your best.

26. Chang says:

This is something I did not see coming.May turn out well!! So finally Artie’s mom is revealed!