FX Puts The Americans Online After DVR Snafu

Get More: News

The Americans RerunDid you miss the end of this Wednesday’s deadly The Americans?

FX has made the episode available on its website following a listings error that caused many viewers’ DVRs to cut it off with seven minutes still to go. (It ran from 10 to 11:07 pm.)

RELATED | The Americans Season 1 Spoilers — Noah Emmerich on Stan’s Revenge

“Safe House,” the installment in question, will be available online at FXNetworks.com until May 15.

Meanwhile, some advance warning: Next Wednesday’s episode, “Only You,” will end at 11:03 pm.

“The error is regrettable and I apologize to all the loyal fans of The Americans who were cheated out of the full viewing experience of one of the most important episodes so far this season,” John Solberg, FX’s SVP of media relations said in a statement.  “I hope the viewers whose DVRs failed to capture the final seven minutes of the episode will take advantage of the opportunity to watch the encore run on FXNetworks.com and see the spectacular ending.”

Tags: ,

Comments (31)

• That is why I watched “Southland” first, then “The Americans”. “Southland” tends to stick to it’s scheduled end.

Comment by Mark DeLoatch – April 4, 2013 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, don’t you deserve a big cookie.

Comment by Olive – April 4, 2013 10:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It also appears to be showing a re-run on Thursday 4/11/13 at 12:00am. I have a few episodes saved up on Tivo, so I’ll probably just record the re-run instead.

Comment by Brooke – April 4, 2013 06:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s really time for all these networks to stop supersizing and/or just letting their shows run over a minute or two.

YES, we know WHY they do it — in hopes that you wont turn the channel

But it’s freakin annoying.

All networks suck lately

Comment by Annoying! – April 4, 2013 06:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think youre overreacting. A cable network like FX has nothing to gain from such tricks and especially at 11 fricking pm. This isn’t Glee lol

Comment by Danyelle – April 4, 2013 06:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hate it too – and its not like the episode is any longer. They do it just to mess with our pvr/drvs. Like The Voice – ends at 10:01pm. Meaning you can only record one thing instead of two at 10 because it runs over. Its really really annoying.

Comment by mia – April 4, 2013 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I whole-heartedly agree. It happens to me all the time and it’s extremely irritating.

Comment by The Beach – April 4, 2013 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think it has more to do with you just staying tuned to the network.

Comment by Esaul – April 4, 2013 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • With my dvr i can stop one show a minute or two early – or better yet – start the next one a minute or two late – so this way I can record two shows at 10:00 also. Hope this helps you.

Comment by Diane – April 4, 2013 09:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Nope, it doesn’t help if you have scheduled appointments after the overrun. And, outside live events, there is no excuse for this happening. Period.

I appreciate that FX is doing this because I appreciate FX not playing these games in general. I accept that they screwed this up and appreciate their honesty in dealing with the fans of this show upfront and with a solution.

Comment by HWah – April 4, 2013 10:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That’s not true in this case. When ABC or NBC does it, it’s just to add a few more commercials that are then subtracted from the next program. But when FX does it, it’s because the writers/producers requested a few extra minutes for their show. Those 7 minutes were probably about the same ratio of content to commercials as the first 60 minutes — about two-thirds to one-third.

I’m glad somebody reported on this. I was fuming when my DVR cut the episode off. That doesn’t happen too often. Usually FX is good about this with Sons of Anarchy which has a lot of overruns.

Comment by Ike – April 5, 2013 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That didn’t happen on the airing on FX Canada. In fact, it ended at 11. Maybe we had one less commercial to make it all fit in the hour.

Comment by JeffDJ – April 4, 2013 06:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks TVLine for posting this. It’s one of the reasons I check this site every day. I was watching last night’s episode tonight when it ended with minutes to go. I was very invested in the episode so it was a definite WTF moment. I guess I’ll have to catch it online.

Comment by The Beach – April 4, 2013 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There is no excuse for this kind of oversight. I taped the 10PM pacific episode and got 25 minutes of justified before the amerricans (35 minutes).

Comment by Yuka – April 4, 2013 09:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is what happened to me, too. East coast though

Comment by Kristen – April 9, 2013 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on AMCPress.

Comment by AMCPress – April 4, 2013 10:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks for posting this. I thought maybe my DVR screwed up or something and I wouldn’t have thought to check online. I’m kind of pissed it happened but at least FX admitted it and did something about it.

Comment by Lola – April 5, 2013 04:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • At least I know I’m not crazy now…lol. I was late getting started but basically watching live but through the recording. When it went off after Stan shot the Russian, I was like “WTF???” I’ll have to catch it to see what I missed. Loving this show!

Comment by GS – April 5, 2013 05:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you for posting this article and the link. Not knowing what happened was driving me crazy. I’ve set up my DVR to add another half-hour to ensure that I won’t get surprised again and I will no longer have to worry about missing the preview for next week’s episode.

Comment by David P. Graf – April 5, 2013 07:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Still – how to kill a show. I don’t want to see it on my tiny screen. That’s why I have a big screen TV. Thanks TVLine for reporting this.

Comment by JAO – April 5, 2013 07:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • At least FX offers a quick fix and an apology.
    The other do this and don’t care.

Comment by Whatever – April 5, 2013 07:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Their answer is “Buy the DVD/Blu-Ray and see what you missed.”

Comment by Evan – April 5, 2013 08:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This must have been corrected before the west coast viewings. I didn’t miss anything on my DVR recording and it was only set for an hour.

Comment by Evan – April 5, 2013 08:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I recorded the 11pm showing and when I started watching it, I noticed the end of 10pm.. I had already decided to record Justified again at 12AM( what a great season ended) and extended it 15 minutes so it could complete ( had to hear that Harlan song again) so I didn’t miss it the other night.. It did look funny to me that it was only an hour since this show has been over the 1 hour time every episode… I wonder if they’ll post it early On Demand?? Normally FX stuff shows up after a week..

Comment by drhenning – April 5, 2013 09:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yeah what I did was tape the next show that followed so I got the whole thing

Comment by John Moshier – April 5, 2013 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I tuned in to watch it live at 10 pm central time (the scheduled repeat) only to accidentally see the last few minutes of the episode first. Major spoiler and huge bummer. Please stop doing this FX. It not only messes up our DVR recordings, but also ruins our live viewing.

Comment by Carol – April 5, 2013 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Same here. Saw the end before the beginning.

Comment by Jan1 – April 7, 2013 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have Xfinity cable and they do not put this show in ONDEMAND until at least 8 days after it airs. I wish they could put it on there before the next episode airs.

Comment by Kimberly Beam – April 5, 2013 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • you’re a GOOF if you like GLEE

Comment by SaveTheShow – April 7, 2013 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the best network job I have ever seen to hide and kill a show. Can’t get DVD, re-run schedule, etc. for season one. Not a good way to run a network at all.

Comment by Dan – February 9, 2014 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post