Ratings: Modern Family Surges, Parents Improves on Apt 23, Supernatural Slides

Get More: News, Premieres, Ratings

SOFIA VERGARA, AUBREY ANDERSON-EMMONSABC’s Modern Family enjoyed a surge this Wednesday, rising 16 and 28 percent week-to-week to deliver 10.6 million total viewers and a night-dominating 4.1 demo rating — its best numbers since Jan. 23.

Leading out of that, the series launch of How to Live With Your Parents (for the rest of Your Life) did 8.4 mil and a 2.9, drawing more viewers and the same demo as Don’t Trust the B—- in Apartment 23‘s own apres-Family debut but demonstrating greater retention (79 and 71 percent) than both the Beek (68 and 71 percent) and The Neighbors‘ fall sneak peek (64 and 60 percent).

Opening the night, The Middle (7.2 mil/2.0) ticked up two tenths and Suburgatory (5.8 mil/1.8) improved on time slot predecessor The Neighbors by 5 and 20 percent, while Nashville closed ABC’s Wednesday with 5.6 mil/1.7, up 8 percent and two tenths.

RELATED | Nashville Recap: A Good Mantra Is Hard to Find

Over on CBS, Survivor (9.1 mil/2.4) dipped a tenth, while both Criminal Minds (10.7 mil/2.8) and CSI (9.8 mil/2.1) slipped two tenths.

American Idol drew the night’s largest audience — 11.5 mil, down 7 percent — while netting a 3.0 rating (ticking down two tenths to an all-time Wednesday low).

RELATED | American Idol Top 7 Recap: For Those Who Managed to Rock, We Salute You!

On NBC, Dateline (5.9 mil/1.4) gave the Peacock a 12-week time slot high, more than doubling the Whitney finale’s audience while rising 40 percent in the demo. SVU (6.2 mil/1.6) and Chicago Fire (6.25 mil/1.6) each ticked down a tenth.

The CW’s Arrow (2.84 mil/0.9) added a handful of viewers and stayed steady in the demo, but Supernatural (2 mil/0.8) dropped two tenths.

Want scoop on any of the above shows? Email mattmtvguy@gmail.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

Comments (37)

• Why can’t they pair it with happy endings?!! The middle with modern family on Wednesdays and parents with happy endings some other night! Please!!

Comment by Happy ending – April 4, 2013 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Pair HE with MF that when it did best in ratings

Comment by Sam – April 4, 2013 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parents won’t last , look how well the previous 3 shows lasted ( cougar town , happy endings & apt 23 ) after they were moved from that slot

Comment by Joe – April 4, 2013 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I miss “The Neighbors”–that show really grew on me!

Comment by Kim – April 4, 2013 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too! I hope it gets renewed!

Comment by Ann – April 4, 2013 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Im so happy for Nashville I could puke rainbows.

Comment by *S (@chanel_and_punk) – April 4, 2013 09:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Amazing things happen when Abc actually airs the poor show two weeks in a row.

Comment by Ettie – April 4, 2013 10:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Arrow Best new tv show !!!!

Comment by George2k – April 4, 2013 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Absolutely agree.

Comment by brenna – April 4, 2013 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy Nashville was up in the ratings it was really good last night, loved those two little girls singing that song. Also watched Arrow, Criminal Minds , CSI and Supernatural but for me I’m done with Idol they need to stick a fork in it!!

Comment by K. – April 4, 2013 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Last night was another great episode! Nashville is really gaining momentum.

Comment by Gillian – April 4, 2013 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I said the same thing last night. My husband replied they will probably show one more episode and then have another hiatus ruining their momentum. 3 consecutive new episodes is the best ABC can muster. I have so many friends that started watching Nashville, but gave up because they forgot it was on. Nashville is such a good show. I hope they let it find it’s footing. I still believe it belongs on Sunday night 10PM.

Comment by Lisa – April 4, 2013 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • It just aired episode 16 & has 22 episodes according to tvseriesfinale so it should air the rest of the episodes uninterrupted til the season finale on May 22.

Comment by Brandy – April 4, 2013 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Modern Family was hilarious last night..the little girl stole it.. <3

Comment by tahina – April 4, 2013 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • happy for Nashville but sad to see Supernatural is down! oh and last nights Chicago Fire was amazing as always.

Comment by Elyse – April 4, 2013 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t like the new Lily at first, but she’s really come into that role.

Comment by Mikael – April 4, 2013 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was thinking the same thing as I was watching last night!

Comment by Sarah – April 4, 2013 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Arrow was AWESOME last night!!! This show just keeps getting better!!

Comment by Andre – April 4, 2013 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Surprised about Modern Family’s ratings, it was one of the weakest EPs this season – usually Jay or Cam and Mitchell can be counted on to do something funny,, but even they came up short. The scenes with Julie Bowen and Ty Burrell were yawn out loud lame. And the little girl they got to play Cam and Mitchel’s daughter is just annoying, never funny.

Comment by Jeff – April 4, 2013 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Are you serious?! I think it was one of the best episodes of the season if not the best. Those scenes in the restaurant with Cam, Mitchell, Gloria and Lily were hilarious

Comment by JJ – April 4, 2013 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Not sure it was one of the best, but it was an improvement from the previous few episodes. And little Lily is really great. She’s consistently one of the funniest moments of the show. Can’t understand all the negative comments she gets.

Comment by tripoli – April 4, 2013 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think we were watching the same episode , it was one of the funniest I’ve seen this season

Comment by Joe – April 4, 2013 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder why “Supernatural” was down. It was such a great episode. Everyone knew a very popular character was returning.

Comment by Carrie – April 4, 2013 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Supernatural was awesome last night. Loved seeing Bobby and hated to see Benny go.

Comment by MJ – April 4, 2013 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • boo about supernatural, it was awesome esp with bobby. I didnt know he was going to be on so maybe other fans didnt know either. yea suburagory # went up, glad its nott competing with supernatural anymore.

Comment by ollie – April 4, 2013 10:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not surprised to see Supernatural drop. First they take Cas out of the picture again – which the ratings were high for his return. Then last night’s episode made no sense with Sam just strolling into hell (negating Cas and the angels fighting 40 years to find Dean) and then the back door into purgatory which pretty much wiped out Crowley’s quest to find Purgatory in S6. Not to mention being able to see Reapers. None of it made sense. It was frustrating.

Comment by Dilys – April 4, 2013 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think Crowley was looking for Purgatory as much as he wanted the souls. Maybe he still doesn’t know that Sam was dropped in Purgatory. I thought all Crowley knew was that Sam wanted to go to hell. The reaper only told Sam he was in purgatory when they got there and Dean didn’t know until Naomi said something.

Comment by MJ – April 4, 2013 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Also, I like Cas and all, but him not being there doesn’t lessen the show for me. It has always been about Dean and Sam for me and people they see along the way. It was never Dean, Sam, and Cas at all. It has always been about the brothers.

Comment by MJ – April 4, 2013 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree with you. Always about the bros for me too. I don’t miss Cass when he’s gone and as far as ratings with him, doesn’t really make a difference. The ratings were very high last week and no Cass, no mytharc… Surprised about the drop this week since a major character came back and another favorite reappeared as well. Hope it will adjust back up!

Comment by Anna – April 4, 2013 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was one of the best Supernatural’s. I didn’t know Bobby was going to be back, and from the moment I saw him my heart was a lump in my throat and I was on the verge of tears. I miss Jim Beavers so much on this show – I can only hope that we see him again, and again, and again.

Comment by CountryQueen – April 4, 2013 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I started watching The Middle this season and was surprised at how good it is. It doesn’t have a hook or rely on the ridiculous or over the top to get a laugh. It’s got heart and the characters are so endearing. I loved how distraught Frankie was last night over the results of The Bachelor and how Brick was able to talk her down. Suborgatory is getting really weird. Now that Dallas and George are together the tension is gone. Modern Family was great last night. It focused on relationships and what makes a family. And the bit at the restaurant was laugh out loud funny. Nashville rocks but if.Juliette keeps hooking up with everyone she’s going to lose the credibility she’s trying to gain. Go back to the music!!! And the girls last night were PHENOMENAL!!! About Chicago Fire, enough with the Peter Mills storylines. Severide and the Jesse Spencer character are the leads. Their dynamics are explosive. Peter is a little kid. He should have never been involved with Dawson. The father arc is even more of an overkill. He’s getting a lot of attention that people did not sign up for and its distracting. And I very much doubt that Parents will retain these ratings. It was pretty unfunny. The parents are over the top ridiculous. But love Sarah Chalke so I hope it works out for her.

Comment by Babygate – April 4, 2013 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not a fan of the new ABC comedy there was nothing original or extra funny to it, hope it dips big time next episode. Anyone else ready to give up on Nashville, its so hard to love?!!!

Comment by DavidSask – April 4, 2013 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A good night for ABC, and I’m sure, a sigh of relief from Paul L. and the ABC honchos.
    Should be repeat-free Wednesday nights for ABC the rest of the way until mid-May.
    Middle-Subgtry-MFamily-w/Parents-Nashville: need good, consistent results wk after wk.
    If we see consistently good numbers from this five series group, all could be renewed.
    Just a side note – for those out there who follow the ratings of these and other shows and want to learn more about how the television ratings system works [Nielsen] and how social media and new methods of ‘broadcasting’ television shows are impacting how shows are perceived [success or failure], there is an excellent cover story in this month’s “WIRED’ magazine.
    Alison Brie {Mad Men, Community} is on the cover [yes, that is Alison on the cover, showing her best Don Draper mojo]. The article goes into how networks are finding new ways to measure their shows’ audience and popularity, including social media sites and their fan base – very much like what we all do here on TVLine via Michael and Matt and co. As the article noted, ‘Buzz’ does matter, so even for all of us here who may not have a Nielsen box, ‘Buzz’ matters, and social media sites (TVLine, Deadline, TVBTN, etc) can make a difference in helping a series to survive ratings challenges – a good example, Happy Endings, which may find a new home at USA Network next season.
    Sarah Chalke – you rock! :)

Comment by Nero theTVFiddler – April 4, 2013 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • wasnt that funny poor sarah shes such a talent they just keep puting her on crapy shows maybe she would be better off not the star of a show

Comment by John Moshier – April 4, 2013 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe I’m going to say this, but Modern Family was pretty funny. Especially the gags at the restaurant, those really cracked me up. :)

Comment by Sarabi – April 4, 2013 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hi that post was just super many thanks for those insights!

Comment by facebook likes – April 5, 2013 08:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Modern Family is always on fire as well as Psych which was great at the circus

Comment by dude – April 7, 2013 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post