Report: Happy Endings May Jump to USA Network If ABC Cancels Cult Fave

Get More: News, Scheduling News

USA Network Happy EndingsHappy Endings may get a happy ending, after all.

The cult-hit comedy, currently in its third season at ABC, might wind up at USA Network if the Alphabet Net chooses not to pick it up for Season 4.

RELATED | 2013 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

Sony TV, which produces Endings, has approached a few networks about continuing the crew’s shenanigans; our sister site Deadline reports that USA Network has expressed interest.

RELATED Happy Endings Boss Teases Weddings and Break-Ups, Reacts to ‘Odd’ Save the Show Promo

The news is a welcome surprise for fans of the quirky ensemble series, which was exiled to Fridays — often a harbinger of cancellation — last month. Its first Friday broadcast drew 3 million total viewers and a 0.9 rating with the 18-49 demo (and its second that evening fared worse), falling below its average Tuesday-night numbers.

Comments (86)

• GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Dex P – April 3, 2013 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Especially since the show has really improved. Maybe Nick Zano can become a regular.

Comment by Me – April 3, 2013 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • If that’s Penny’s fiancée then no he won’t be a regular

Comment by Nick – April 3, 2013 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ugh, I can’t stand Nick Zano.

Comment by Ella – April 3, 2013 09:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great News. As long as it get’s picked up I don’t care where it lands.

Comment by Tori Melching (@lizjaxe) – April 3, 2013 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That would be awesome!!

Comment by Callie – April 3, 2013 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Meg – April 3, 2013 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! As long as it’s still on the air!!! :)

Comment by marge – April 3, 2013 03:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES PLEASE

Comment by a – April 3, 2013 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Would be great if TBS picks it up. Such a perfect pairing with Cougar Town! But if USA takes it I won’t complain – will definitely watch! LOVE THIS SHOW!

Comment by DAS – April 3, 2013 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS

Comment by Steph – April 3, 2013 04:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with this. I’ll take it anywhere, but I can’t shake how awesome a Cougar Town/Happy Endings comedy block would be.

Comment by Eric – April 3, 2013 04:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The perfect pairing, as long as Happy Endings stays on air though I am not bothered where it goes

Comment by dannyboy206 – April 3, 2013 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree that would be an awesome pair…but I’d watch it on Food Network too. Im good wherever it goes.

Comment by Chad – April 3, 2013 05:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES! BEST NEWS EVER!

Comment by Mare – April 3, 2013 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • USA comes through as the coolest network, they know a hit when they see it. Figured Abc may be closed to canning it

Comment by dude – April 3, 2013 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t want to get my hopes up too soon, but OMFGYES!

Comment by Kalee – April 3, 2013 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Isn’t USA gonna start airing Modern Family in syndication this fall? If this DOES go through (fingers crossed) I’m guessing USA is gonna do something similar to what TBS does with Big Bang Theory/Cougar Town.

Comment by George – April 3, 2013 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • @George

According to the deadline article that’s mostly likely what they would do.

Comment by Brandy – April 3, 2013 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • = D!

Comment by Courtney – April 3, 2013 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah!! USA is fixing all the mistakes the bigger networks are making, as it is also picking up a show from Lennon Parham and Jessica St. Clair, the pair that created the much-beloved, quickly cancelled NBC sitcom Best Friends Forever. I’m thrilled!!!

Comment by Ashley – April 3, 2013 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • oh i loved BFF! and i love HE!

Comment by flutiefan – April 3, 2013 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Damn I miss that show.

Comment by M – April 3, 2013 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Is it a new show? They’re very funny together!

Comment by Sheila – April 3, 2013 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah, a new show currently at the pilot stage. I hope USA picks it up to a full series they’re wicked funny together!

Comment by Dizzle – April 4, 2013 02:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I loathed BFF. And the critics didn’t like it either. I did like Bent quite a lot though.

Comment by Zachary – April 3, 2013 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • ‘Bent’ was fantastic. I’ve seen them all about 5 or 6 times now and still love watching it.

Comment by Floodlit World – April 4, 2013 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ABC…MORONS!!!

Comment by jdavis – April 3, 2013 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not going to get my hopes up just yet but I sincerely hope a deal can be worked out, this would be fantastic news! I hope USA picks up the Lennon Parham/Jessica St Clair project along with this, if its anything like Best Friends Forever that would be an awesome comedy lineup for USA!

Comment by Dizzle – April 3, 2013 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This makes me happy!! I really hope this happens if ABC decides to cancel “Happy Endings” between now and May.

Comment by Brandon – April 3, 2013 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • USA has some of the more interesting shows, Suits, Covert Affairs, around so I’m for it.

Comment by John – April 3, 2013 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What the hell? Why does this person think she is talking about Cougar Town?

Comment by Craig Rowley (@crowle410) – April 3, 2013 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope this happens. I was hoping TBS would pick it up and put it with Cougar Town but this is good too!

Comment by Daniel – April 3, 2013 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PRAYSE JAYSUS

Comment by USA Network = Jaysus – April 3, 2013 03:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • great news! wish it was TBS, but i’ll take anything.
    the prank episode was one of the best of the year!

Comment by flutiefan – April 3, 2013 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If it ends up on USA, I hope I remember to watch it.

Comment by mondosalvo – April 3, 2013 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This would mark the first time I’d watch USA for more than 5 minutes.

Comment by Hipper – April 3, 2013 03:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What’s funny is that I always thought Happy Endings might have a chance on USA Network when they picked up Modern Family reruns. Im psychic!!

Comment by Christian – April 3, 2013 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay!! :)

Comment by kavyn – April 3, 2013 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh no…. I don’t like happy endings….

Comment by Para – April 3, 2013 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Then why must you comment on this. Get out of here.

Comment by Celia – April 3, 2013 04:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES… (yeah just that….now i have to say max that there is no need to suck any other abc costumes… we r fine)

Comment by george stone (@georgethebeast) – April 3, 2013 03:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is AMAHZING news!!! First Cougar Town, now Happy Endings! So Thrilled!

Comment by Chris – April 3, 2013 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shups for liiiife! Yesss! If anyone saves this show I’ll be happy!

Comment by schu – April 3, 2013 04:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yep, good news!

Comment by siskaaw – April 3, 2013 04:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes please!! USA would treat this show so much better.

Comment by Ainav – April 3, 2013 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll keep watching! TBS scored the amazing Cougar Town, so if someone takes this crowd I’ll be equally thrilled!

Comment by Brock – April 3, 2013 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love how it says if ABC cancels it, I love the show and I’m thrilled with this news, but I will be cancelled on ABC.

Comment by Mike – April 3, 2013 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This sounds good! Another network may treat the show better.

Comment by Drizz – April 3, 2013 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG BEST NEWS EVER I HOPE THIS HAPPENS!!!!!

This would be great for Sony because this show is THIS close to syndication!!!

Comment by Dan – April 3, 2013 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Do it USA!

Comment by SaveTheShow – April 3, 2013 04:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SO FREAKING EXCITED. As long as it stays on the air.

Comment by John – April 3, 2013 04:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope so ABC is horrible to quality shows. I am still upset over Pushing Daisies and Samantha Who?. ABC needs to reassess their priorities and focus on the shows they have and calm down with the influx of new shows unless they are worth the promo time and $$.

Comment by Amelia – April 3, 2013 04:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy Endings…on USA…”Characters Welcome.” Sounds about right to me! Hope it happens!!

Comment by mrallan78 – April 3, 2013 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES! USA, TBS, FXX, doesn’t really matter. just keep it going.

Comment by João Amaral – April 3, 2013 04:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would prefer TBS as I think it would pair well with Cougar Town. But hell, as long as someone picks it up, because it deserves a 2nd chance. I’d say it’s probably a safe bet that ABC cancels it, so hopefully the talks with USA don’t fall through.

Comment by Ron – April 3, 2013 05:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am just glad to hear (and see) some other networks picking up shows that others drop. Some networks wouldn’t know a good show if it bit them in the butt… I am talking about you NBC with Southland. ABC with Cougartown…..

Comment by Kristoffer – April 3, 2013 05:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For the love of ALL that is holy, I don’t care where it goes, as long as it STAYS on TV!! This show is hilarious and amazing and underrated like crazy. Please, please, please let Happy Endings live!

Comment by rachelle – April 3, 2013 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope ABC picks up Happy Endings for a 4th season, but if not, this is the best news possible! I love the show so much; it’s like watching an R rated movie every week!

Comment by Fabe – April 3, 2013 05:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Except without Nudity or Bad language!

Comment by JASon – April 3, 2013 05:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I would say their language is questionable! So much innuendo haha!

Comment by Fabe – April 3, 2013 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Firefly?

Comment by JASon – April 3, 2013 05:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just like I followed Cougar Town to TBS, I will gladly watch Happy Endings on whichever network it ends up.

Comment by Emily N. – April 3, 2013 05:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • USA does comedies?

Comment by David4 – April 3, 2013 06:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BEST NEWS EVER!!! Just another awesome show for USA Network to add to its ranks.

Comment by Ella – April 3, 2013 09:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Characterswelcome-CON, a-mah-zing

Comment by Jason – April 3, 2013 09:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ^this!^

Comment by Mike (@A_mah_zing_8584) – April 3, 2013 09:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wait, so would they actually keep it at 30 minutes? I can’t think of too many programs on USA that don’t have a 1-hour running time.

Comment by Keith Allison – April 3, 2013 11:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post