Ratings: The Voice Rises, New Normal Finale at 11-Week High, Splash and Smash Down

Ratings New Normal Season 1 FinaleNBC’s The Voice led this Tuesday in both total viewers (up 10 percent week-to-week to 13.61 million) and in the demo (rising two tenths to a 4.3), opposite an NCIS rerun.

NBC notes that the 4.3 marks the best demo delivery for any Tuesday broadcast program since Dec. 18, and is The Voice‘s best rating since Oct. 30.

RELATED | The Voice Recap: Dull Encounters of the Fourth Blind

Leading out of that, The New Normal‘s special 9 o’clock installment did Go On-caliber numbers, with 5 mil and a 1.9, while the freshman comedy’s subsequent finale episode (3.56 mil/1.4) rose 7 percent to its best rating since Jan. 15. Cause for renewal…?

Smash closed NBC’s night with 3.1 mil/0.9, ticking down a tenth.

RELATED | Smash Recap: Parental Guidance Rejected

Over on ABC, Splash (5.7 mil/1.4) dropped another 15-plus percent and is now down 46 percent in the demo from its splashy debut. Dancing With the Stars‘ results show (13.6 mil/2.2) dipped two tenths in the demo, while Body of Proof (8.7 mil/1.5) slipped 9 percent and a tenth yet led the 10 o’clock hour on both counts.

RELATED | Dancing With the Stars Week 3 Results: Did the Right Couple Go Home?

Elsewhere, Fox’s Hell’s Kitchen (4.74 mil/1.9) and CBS’ Golden Boy (7.7 mil/1.3) dipped a tenth, while The Mindy Project matched last week’s 2.6 mil/1.5..

1. Annie says:

Can Smash actually drop any lower? I’m being serious. Do they even register accurately under a certain number? Well, I guess we’ll find out next Monday.

• et al. says:

1. Yes, it can go lower. Friday’s all new Cult got a 0.1.
      2. Accuracy? There’s an argument to be made no Neilsen ratings are accurate.
      3. Smash moves to Saturday starting this week, so there is no ‘next Monday’.

• eridapo says:

Like any survey data, Nielsen ratings are subject to statistical errors of various kinds, as well as issues of cooperation rates, respondent compliance, etc. They are merely estimates. As such, it doesn’t make much sense to present them beyond one decimal point, because this implies a degree of accuracy that doesn’t exist. Also, small differences in ratings numbers often are not statistically significant. Claiming victory with a 1.5 demo over a competitor’s 1.4 demo may not be only trivial, but it may be just plain wrong.

• jw says:

I thought the same thing. They’ll have to start measuring what the Smash cast and crew watch and reporting that.

2. Lynne says:

I thought New Normal was already renewed? I hope it does get renewed if it hasnt yet. Its the one freshman show this season that I’ve really stuck with for the new season.

3. Elyse says:

the Mindy Project??

4. Not that I watch the show, but you totally forgot The Mindy Project.

5. Stacie says:

I watched every episode of the New Normal, I think it’s a fine show, BUT, I don’t think they should renew it. I feel that this season was one fantastic series all on its own. The journey that all the characters took had a beginning, middle and an end. I think they shouldn’t push the series to a place that seems unnatural. I feel the show was leading to what we got in the finale.

• Andy says:

I agree. All of the characters found their new normal, so-to-speak. It was a really good season, and if they didn’t renew it, I think I would be perfectly happy with the decision. If they did renew it, I’m sure changes would be made for some reason or another, new characters would be added, characters would leave, yadda yadda yadda, and fans of this season would just complain that the show lost what made it special the first season, saying that they should have just ended it after the first season.

• Mark says:

It better not get cancelled. Nene Leakes needs to stay in Hollywood. Love her there.

• Andy says:

With Nene Leakes being on two shows of Ryan Murphy’s, I think she’ll still be in Hollywood as long as he still has a comedy or dramedy airing.

• Mike says:

I didn’t catch every episode mind you, but it could be a nice little miniseries, and at times it was able to be funny and have heart. It finished its story, I mean it could continue, but for all intents and purposes, it had a satisfying ending.

• Nat says:

I do agree to an extent, but part of wrapping it up that way might have been them attempting to give fans closure in the event that they did get cancelled (which is something all TV writers of on-the-bubble shows should always think about). But I think you can continue the show with a slightly different concept in the second season – the ‘new normal’ being living with a baby. I’d give it a shot at one more season – at the end of the day, there are dozens of people making this show happen – not just actors and creatives, but crew, set designers, make up artists etc. – with jobs on the line, and saying it should end just because fans ‘might not like where it goes’ doesn’t seem enough of a reason to cancel it.

6. Ryan says:

Good to see Splash is down. My faith in humanity was tested when a celebrity diving show debuted to such high numbers. I hope the two NCIS shows come back soon.

• Larc says:

NCIS and NCIS: LA will both air new episodes next week.

• Boiler says:

I agree and I still wish it would drop more. I hope people who watch this show are not the same ones complaining about Happy Endings, Cougar Town, Last Resort, 666, etc…all ABC shows that junk like this is replacing. Keep dropping!!! Don’t watch New Normal but nice to see a scripted show do well.

7. Ok I know people dont want to see what everyone think next years schedule should look like but I want to do it for some ABC shows, because I think I have a few good ideas.

I love Body of Proof and there are lots of people who watch it but the demos arent great but they always go up with DWTS, so why not move BOP to Monday nights taking the place of Castle and maybe just maybe on mondays BOP demo could reach 2.0 and it’s viewers will go back to the 10 millions. Now we can move Castle to BOP old tuesday spot where it still have DTWS before it but it just will be its result show but even then I think Castle can beat each show on other networks.

I think ABC needs to fix their sunday line up, Move Revenge back to it’s home hour on Wed at 10/9pm and move Nashville to Sundays at 10/9pm where I can see so much growth in viewers, come on this show started with 8 million and it can go back, it’s just in a bad time slot. Now ABC should put Shield on Sundays at 8/7PM and move down Once to 9/8PM and then Nashville ( I know its a different show from the other two but the time slot is great for it.)

Also/Or Revenge could go to Thursday at 10/9 pm and move Scandal up to 9/8 pm and move Grey’s up to 8/7pm. Both Scandal & Revenge can make a great duo.

• elr says:

I like some of your ideas, but remember we are talking about ABC, the network that kills a show instead of moving it around on their schedule.

• thank you and true it is ABC which is sad because they should be trying to save thier shows esp. Revenge & Once which in my eyes are the new Desperate Housewives and Grey’s which were the two big hits ABC had to bring to thier name and I feel like these two shows are shows that should be carrying the network for a few seasons like DH & Greys did.

• Nero theTVFiddler says:

It’s always good to see what others are thinking in the way of scheduling – some of the ideas you noted I do like. We’ll know soon in May what ABC has in mind. ABC has two options – status quo, or roll the dice and be bold. On some nights, status quo is probably good – hate to mess with success. I like keeping Monday just as it is – Castle is doing fine, I don’t want to mess with it. Sunday with Nashville and Revenge, on the other hand – I think require some bold thinking.
      If (a big IF) Nashville comes back this fall [we'll know Thursday morning once we see tomorrow night's numbers - Nashville is going all-out in this weeks' 'at the hospital' episode- a good idea, this is the time to be bold], Sunday at 10pm is probably the only option left for Nashville. Revenge? It will come down to what ABC wants to do with Greys. If they move it to say Wed/10pm, then Revenge is the show to move over to Thursday to pair up with Scandal.
      However, if Greys stays on Thursday (which it certainly could), then ABC has to decide if moving Revenge back to Wednesday at 10pm is worth the effort. Would they gain much? The only gain might be if SHIELD [as you noted] is placed on Sunday at 9pm and ABC needs that slot. If so, then okay, Revenge would move. Or if the OUAT spin-off (?) is ready for 9pm Sunday slot, okay. Revenge’s future time slot probably depends more upon what is best for ABC on Sunday at 9pm, rather than what is best for Revenge. Too bad, but that’s probably what’s coming.
      My guess is that Revenge will be on the move – away from Sunday, and probably (indeed) back to Wed/10pm if Greys holds at 9pm/Thursday. I will say this – if Revenge is not given a spot on the Thursday night lineup, that may say quite a bit about what ABC thinks of Revenge’s future. If ABC really believes in that show, they will ‘make room’ for it on Thursday nights. They have to. If they fold and roll Revenge back to Wednesday at 10pm, I think that is the beginning of the end for Revenge. Sorry to say that, but I think that will be the case. You never send a series back to it’s original spot until the show is ‘on the backside’ of it’s lifespan. My opinion – ABC needs to ‘make room’ for Revenge on Thursday night.

8. Eric says:

I’m glad to see that The New Normal went out on a bang. As others have mentioned, the story wrapped up rather nicely, so I won’t be completely disappointed it its cancelled. All I ask is that the first season is released on Blu-ray, or at least DVD, because I’d like to revisit it many times. It was a fantastic little series.

This may all be moot, however, considering how well the finale did in the ratings.

9. bobbie says:

Smash, ah, where is the delightful Megan Hilty music? It seems to be glaringly absent. Instead, they focus on the Karen and two shmucks….. Are the people who put on this show 15 years old? I don’t understand all this depressingly replaying of last season’s failures. Same focus, same story, blah blah blah. Really? Though Saturday nights are usually rather barren tv-wise, no one goes looking for shows to watch on Saturday night because there is typically nothing there. At least now we know where to look, and when.
    I really only watch Smash for Ivy, Elaine, Tom…. They have given them the best and most amusing parts, yet they seem relegated to the ‘back seat’ of the show!
    If they really wanted a romance to be simmering to a boil, it should have been brought from cold to simmer over a long period of time, not in one season. Duh.

10. Mikael says:

ABC should move Revenge back to Wednesdays at 10. Sunday is just too crowded. Walking Dead and Game of Thrones are monsters that won’t allow for much competition. Revenge was much better off last year. Part of that was because the story was better last year, but the time slot accounts for part of it.

11. Im going to bookmark your site and preserve checking for brand spanking new information