It's Official: Jimmy Fallon to Replace Jay Leno as Tonight Show Host in Spring 2014

Get More: Late Night TV, News

Jimmy Fallon Replacing Jay LenoNBC confirmed the worst kept secret in Hollywood on Wednesday, announcing that current Late Night frontman Jimmy Fallon will succeed Jay Leno as host of The Tonight Show in Spring 2014.

PHOTOS | 13 TV Developments We Wish Were April Fool’s Jokes

As part of the transition, The Tonight Show will, as expected, return to its original 30 Rock home in New York and will be exec-produced by Saturday Night Live‘s Lorne Michaels (aka Fallon’s EP on Late Night.)

“Congratulations Jimmy,” Leno said in a statement. “I hope you’re as lucky as me and hold on to the job until you’re the old guy. If you need me, I’ll be at the garage.”

Added Fallon: “I’m really excited to host a show that starts today instead of tomorrow.”

CHART | TVLine’s 2013 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Getting Cancelled, What’s Coming Back, What’s on the Bubble

The announcement caps a tense couple of months between NBC and Leno, who had been taking jabs at the Peacock’s ratings woes and even called network execs “snakes” in recent monologues (alleged retaliation for the then-forthcoming Tonight switch). The network attempted to squelch the escalating controversy (and avoid a repeat of the 2009 Leno/Conan O’Brien PR debacle) by releasing a cheeky video earlier this week featuring Leno and Fallon poking fun at the situation.

NBC no doubt paid a stiff financial penalty to get Leno to vacate his throne seven months early (his contract wasn’t due to expire until September 2014), but it will likely be worth it: Fallon’s Tonight Show debut will coincide with the network’s coverage of the 2014 Winter Olympics.

“Jay Leno is an entertainment icon, making millions of people laugh every weeknight for more than 20 years,” said NBCUniversal CEO Steve Burke. “His long reign as the highest-rated late-night host is a testament to his work ethic and dedication to his viewers and to NBC.”

VIDEO | Jimmy Fallon and Jay Leno’s Tonight Show Serenade: Love It or Loathe It?

No official word on who will replace Fallon at Late Night, but sources confirm SNL‘s Seth Meyers remains the odds-on-favorite for the job. NBC would only say, “Programming plans for the 12:35 a.m.  time period currently are in development and will be announced soon.”

Comments (114)

• Hello, bad idea. I actually had a dream where Conan went back to Late Night. Max was there. Freak out if this unlikely thing comes true.

Comment by TigerNightmare – April 3, 2013 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s why TBS was so quick to extend Conan’s contract until 2015. Not that he would do it, but stranger things have happened in TV land.

Comment by Bob – April 3, 2013 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • whoa! really? i don’t watch either show cause they’re on late but jimmy fallon? why not conan? i’ve seen a couple of his shows on tbs he’s funny. i have a feeling it might not go well. leno is still a good act where he is now………… though i did heard the ratings are dropping i say conan should go back.

Comment by A – April 3, 2013 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’d love for Conan to return. But yeah, TBS renewed his contract. And I’m sure he’s happier there where he’s better treated. He worked hard at NBC for 17 years to be screwed over like that. I love Jimmy Fallon, but man that must leave a bitter taste for Conan. Well not really, since he had such a great send off about how he hates cynicism.

Comment by Esaul – April 3, 2013 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • how long is his contract for TBS?

Comment by A – April 3, 2013 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • They renewed it through November 2015 on Monday.

Comment by Esaul – April 3, 2013 11:18 AM PDT
        • Definitely, Coco seems to be much happier at TBS. I guess they have a lot more freedom overall. Plus, he loves TBS for encouraging him to go on the road. He probably already has done more shows abroad in the short 2-3 years at TBS than in the whole 17 years at NBC.

Comment by jimbo – April 3, 2013 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Conan should stick to cable where his low ratings is considered good.

Comment by Ann – April 3, 2013 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Disappointed in this.

Comment by Esaul – April 3, 2013 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • NBCLATENIGHT Get #Danieltosh for a new late Night Show he already has 8 million fans. Trust me he would be Brilliant. He has a quick witted humor and he has a bit of Letterman in him. If Don’t grab him now he will be there soon. Chad Bonsack

Comment by Chad Bonsack – April 17, 2013 08:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope HBO makes a sequel to The Late Shift.

Comment by Michael Sacal – April 3, 2013 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Calling it ‘The Late Shaft’ ?

Comment by Jerri – April 3, 2013 09:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • They can call it whatever they want. I just hope they make it.

Comment by Michael Sacal – April 3, 2013 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i wish there was a like button for this…double like!

Comment by Joe – April 3, 2013 09:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So do I! It would be a coup to have Daniel Roebuck come back as Leno. I would love to see Lucas Neff (Jimmy Chance on Raising Hope) play Conan. Not sure who could/would play Fallon.

Comment by pakegler – April 3, 2013 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah, sure. Maybe Jimmy should have chatted with Conan before agreeing to this deal.

Comment by Lana – April 3, 2013 09:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I find it interesting Jimmy made this play, especially since he remained relatively neutral when the Leno/Conan fiasco ensued. I’m disappointed in Jimmy, but also happy for him at the same time. :/

Comment by Esaul – April 3, 2013 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t think it was up to Fallon. NBComcast execs decided it was time for a change and probably told Fallon the job is his or he’s out.

Comment by Bob – April 3, 2013 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Meh. I like Jimmy, nothing against him, but I have a bad feeling about this.

Comment by Esaul – April 3, 2013 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Jimmy spoke about this months backs, and has said it is a risky decision, but you don’t just turn down the Tonight show.

Comment by Mike – April 3, 2013 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I want Jimmy personally to do well, but I want NBC’s greed to blow up in their face. :D

Comment by Esaul – April 3, 2013 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “We are purposefully making this change when Jay is #1, just as Jay replaced Johnny Carson when he was #1.”

What a load of crap! Carson made the choice to step down & was always royally treated by NBC [as well he should have been]. Jay is being pushed out – AGAIN!! I never watched The Tonight Show before Jay took over and I won’t be watching after he goes. Whatever you think of Leno, he has brought great ratings to NBC & they have treated him like dirt for years. First they debated to remove him & replace him with Letterman, then they shoved him out the door for Conan. Now they’re shoving him out again. NBC should be ashamed of themselves, but I’m sure they’re not.

Comment by Chloe – April 3, 2013 09:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • NBC didn’t debate about replacing him with Letterman. They debated which one would take over after Carson announced he was retiring. Carson wanted Letterman. Leno hid in a closet and eavesdropped on an executive meeting discussing the change. Go read your Late Night history.

Comment by Bob – April 3, 2013 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Maybe YOU should read your Late Night history. Jay was named The Tonight Show host, but then NBC started to waffle and considered giving Letterman the gig. Don’t you remember the famous press conference where Leno joked they were all congratulating him for getting the job he already had?

Comment by Abe Froman – April 3, 2013 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Bob is correct.

Comment by Kim R – April 3, 2013 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I seriously doubt that Leno has been mistreated by NBC. If anything, they have kowtowed to him for too long. When Conan took over, Leno had known for 5 YEARS that the transition was coming. He did nothing. He could have gone to Fox and started a show there. He could have approached TBS and started their late night programming. He had 5 years to get his crap in order, and make sure his crew had jobs (the latter being one of his excuses for why he did that craptastic 10pm move.) Instead he pressured NBC to give him that 10pm slot……such a terrible idea…..then jumped at the chance to take the show back over. I have zero sympathy for the man. Whatever is happening to him now, he deserves it. Karma.

Comment by Alichat – April 3, 2013 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Why should he have done any of those things when it was his show! Carson knew in advance also but was just nasty. I will never understand why people think he stole it from Letterman but when NBC did the same thing to him and tried to give it to Conan, Conan was the hero and Leno the jerk. If anything Conan tried to steal the show from him. Leno just tried to do the best he could for his crew and NBC and was vilified. Leno has never been given the respect he is due. Shame on NBC.

Comment by Jane – April 3, 2013 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • It wasn’t and isn’t his show. It wasn’t Carson’s show either. The Tonight Show is an NBC property, and it has been since 1954. NBC chooses the host. They didn’t have to renew Leno’s contracts all these years if they didn’t want to. NBC had every right to replace Carson with either Letterman or Leno, and to replace Leno with Conan. They have every right now to replace Leno with Fallon. It is not Leno’s show. And why should he have done any of those things? Because it would have been the smarter, more mature, and classier thing to do. Carson might not have wanted to retire, but he did it with dignity and class. Leno knew in 2004 that they wanted Conan to take over The Tonight Show in 2009. Everybody knew. It was formally announced. Leno had 5 years to come up with another show or another gig. NBC gave him plenty of time to get things in order…..way more time than Carson had. If Leno wanted to do the best for his crew, he should have gotten another show lined up in the 5 years he had to plan. That whole “doing the best for my crew” was complete and utter bull. And NBC didn’t paint Leno as a jerk…..Leno did that himself.

Comment by Alichat – April 3, 2013 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Well said!

Comment by Mary – April 3, 2013 04:22 PM PDT
    • So here’s the real question for me – where does Jay go next? While his tweet says he’s going to go play with his cars, SOMEBODY is bound to make him an offer of a late night show going up against Fallon. Just a question of who.

Comment by davej – April 3, 2013 02:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree 100%. Fallon is so sophomoric. Great on fb. but Leno was really funny and gave a lot
      of people chances to be shown on his show. All the jobs and businesses will be hurt again in ca.. will not watch Fallon.

Comment by marce – July 25, 2013 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope Jimmy keeps Thank you notes and Puppies!  I will miss Jay but I think Jimmy will do a good job too. Anyone is better than Letterman!

Comment by Engbunny – April 3, 2013 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As long as they don’t screw with Jimmy like they did Conan, I’m all about this! CONGRATS to Jimmy :)

Comment by marge – April 3, 2013 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jimmy will do very well with more people able to tune in for the earlier slot. I just feel awful for Jay Leno. I hope he gets some kind of closure.

Comment by slizabeth – April 3, 2013 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Remember who we’re talking about here. Jay’s been at the Tonight Show for 22 years. He showed no remorse for screwing Conan. I used to respect the man, but I don’t feel bad that he’s being replaced (again). At least the first time it was more of a mutual decision compared to now. But hey, karma’s a bitch as they say.

Comment by Esaul – April 3, 2013 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • will he stay retired i say just another ploy to screw another comedian. lost all respect for leno when he stole the show from conan because he couldn,t make it in primetime…LOSER.

Comment by kevinlewis – April 3, 2013 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yeah, I agree. I used to admire Leno until that happened. I wish that Jay at least spoke up for Conan, said something, anything, then I’d be okay, even if Conan lost his show still. But all NBC and Leno were concerned about was their pockets. Cheaper to buy Conan out than to keep Leno. But now he’s leaving again.

Comment by Esaul – April 3, 2013 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Conan failed on his own. If he had gotten the ratings, they wouldn’t have brough Leno back. Sorry but you can’t blame Jay for that debacle. That was the network.

Comment by Engbunny – April 3, 2013 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • No. Lead-ins are a huge thing when it comes to scheduling. NBC got greedy when they decided to keep Leno and give him a 10 PM show. No one watched. Affiliates threatened to boycott. I’m not blaming Leno for his show failing. I’m blaming Leno for his character. He could’ve done more than what he did. And it took Leno some time when he first started his show to get the ratings he achieved. Rome wasn’t built in a day. It was cheaper to buy out Conan. And Leno sat back and did nothing.

Comment by Esaul – April 3, 2013 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • You are RIGHT ON bringing up Leno and his character. He has done so many underhanded and cowardly things to hang onto this job like Pope, that it’s impossible to list them all on a message board. People who are interested should read Bill Carter’s books on the late night wars, and even Jimmie Walker’s recent biography takes Leno to task for his slimy behavior.

Comment by TV Gord – April 3, 2013 12:38 PM PDT
          • I’m blaming Leno for his show failing. He didn’t try. He didn’t WANT to try

Comment by twhiting9276 – April 3, 2013 03:23 PM PDT
        • Conan didn’t “fail” per se.
          Leno failed to bring in the bacon, and they had to do something with him.
          In the end, it was cheaper to fire Conan than leno

Comment by twhiting9276 – April 3, 2013 03:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He got a second shot at the job. I’d say he got his closure.

Comment by Playhouse – April 3, 2013 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What does this mean for The Real Housewives of Late Night?

Comment by James – April 3, 2013 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Real Housewives of Late Night disbanded when Owen Biddle (bass player) left The Roots.

Comment by Anita – April 3, 2013 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • so this means that nbc has gathered the 15+ millions ready for fallon when leno comes back in october 2014?

Comment by Polly – April 3, 2013 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There won’t be any “coming back” for Leno this time. Remember, this is NBComcast now, NOT General Electric and their frightened executives. Comcast makes decisions and sticks with them (good or bad).

Comment by Bob – April 3, 2013 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am excited for this, I think Jimmy is hilarious and his show has a lot of energy. I didn’t think Conan was a good fit and was not surprised that his hosting was unsuccessful. I am excited to be able to actually watch Jinmy as his current show is just too late.

Comment by debeliah1012 – April 3, 2013 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. Conan doesn’t have the same audience as Leno or Jimmy. I like Leno, but I’m happy for Jimmy too. They are funny; Letterman is not.

Comment by Annie – April 3, 2013 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sometimes it’s like NBC’s actively trying to be in last place.

Comment by cgrealms – April 3, 2013 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As long as they don’t try to change his show. I hope he doesn’t lose the weirdness to try and appease the older demo.

Comment by Babybop – April 3, 2013 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Since they’re letting him keep Lorne Michaels as the executive producer, nothing should really change. Lorne can go fight the battles with the NBComcast executives.

Comment by Bob – April 3, 2013 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That’s what they said about Conan moving from Late Night to the Tonight Show. While he was as edgy as ever the bits were toned down a lot.

Comment by jimbo – April 3, 2013 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Jay and Jimmy. Good luck to both.

Comment by Cindy – April 3, 2013 09:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tina Fey should definitely be a front runner to replace Fallon as host of Late Night in 2014 and perhaps Seth Meyers should stay on SNL if the series reaches 40.

Comment by Jack Bauer 2.0 – April 3, 2013 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t care who takes over Late Night, just as long as it’s not Carson Daly. That guy sucks!

Comment by Jay – April 4, 2013 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m very happy to hear this – as long as Leno actually keeps his word this time and doesn’t do to Fallon what he did to Conan.

Comment by Jeanine Mennemeyer – April 3, 2013 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jimmy Fallon is NOT funny. His “humor” is more for the college frat house based… NBC’s just doing this because they are afraid of Kimmel. This so called “experiment” will fail and when it does who gets screwed first Fallon or NBC?

Conan knew he was screwed at had fun at NBC’s expense to show it. Fallon on the other hand is NBC’;s lapdog so if he gets screwed he still has a job at 12:35 and w/o Leno NBC becomes a creek w/o a paddle.

Comment by Ezzy Klein – April 3, 2013 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree that they are doing this because they are afraid of Kimmel. But, as a 44 year old female (who was never in a sorority, let alone a frat ;) finds Jimmy to be VERY funny. Try to remember humor is subjective.

Comment by CountryQueen – April 3, 2013 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, I don’t find Jimmy really funny as well. Most of the time his humor is just awkward and sometimes even painful to watch. Still, he’s a genuine guy with lots of talent. Comedy may not be his strongest one though.

Comment by jimbo – April 3, 2013 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am in total agreement with Ezzy

Comment by Ms Erikkah – April 10, 2013 12:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Leno was the only program i watched on NBC . Wish Fallon had gone to cable anywhere else then NBC. There canceling programs and lack of understanding of the viewing audience has left me come to one conclusion to boycott them Leno will be missed but no forgotten

Comment by H Foster – April 3, 2013 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • karma! … ha

Comment by Shein Die – April 3, 2013 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In related news, the Fox Network has just announced they’re returning to Late Night television in 2014. Hmm…wonder who they could get for a host to bring in big ratings???

Comment by Bob – April 3, 2013 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Fox won’t touch Leno. He’s damaged goods.

Comment by mondosalvo – April 3, 2013 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Fox executive reading your comment: “Yeah man, but better than no goods at all!”

Comment by jimbo – April 3, 2013 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Well, Chevy Chase is free now. Maybe they could try that whole thing again.

Comment by mondosalvo – April 3, 2013 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Hahaha. Yeah…

Fox is too “young” for Leno. They will go for a younger talent (hopefully, a woman, for a change). Leno’s days in late night are coming to an end. Remember, Arsenio returns this fall. While I personally think Hall will not succeed, can you imagine Arsenio and Jay battling it out for the 54-to-death demo? (Now that Dave has outlasted Jay, I expect to hear his retirement announcement soon, too.)

Comment by TV Gord – April 3, 2013 12:46 PM PDT
    • Seth MacFarlane?

Comment by Sarabi – April 4, 2013 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Is this a joke because I doubt Seth would ever do this seeing he’s already got a full plate..

Comment by Ezzy – April 4, 2013 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So what is the Guinness world record for consecutively making the same bad decision? NBC has a shot at that title. Maybe it’s time to bring Ann Curry back to Today.

Comment by Tom – April 3, 2013 10:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t understand all the Leno hate. Conan had his chance and the ratings dropped. It was a business decision to go back to Jay Leno. I wish Jimmy Fallon all the best.

Comment by KD – April 3, 2013 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Here, I’ll give you the FULL story.

NBC got greedy. The end.

But seriously, it isn’t Conan’s fault. Seven months isn’t enough time to produce ratings. And it was due to the poor lead in…which was…who? Jay Leno at 10 PM. No one tuned in to him, so no one tuned into local news, which meant no one tuned into Conan. I don’t blame Leno for that aspect. But he could’ve handled the situation with more grace.

Comment by Esaul – April 3, 2013 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yep, it was the dip in the local news that really got Jay ousted from his primetime gig. People were not watching and the local news ratings were dipping. Where I live my honey and I dislike the late NBC news team, so we would only tune in if we were watching an NBC show and felt compelled to watch a few minutes before switching off (we never watched the entire thing). So our local NBC news went from getting us a viewers a couple of times to absolutely never, and, obviously, we were not the only ones. Of course, we could launch into a debate about getting better local news coverage around the country for NBC, but that’s another conversation. :)

Comment by CountryQueen – April 3, 2013 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • The dip in Jay’s 10pm ratings caused people to tune elsewhere, and the networks that benefitted from Leno’s failure saw increases in their late local news ratings. Many of them went to shows on CBS, which meant they saw improvement in its affiliates local newscasts, and consequently, a boost for Letterman. That’s what did Conan in (along with stupid and impatient executives at NBC). It all traces back to Jay taking the 10pm show, instead of retiring gracefully to the road as a stand-up, which he always said (disinguously, it seems to have turned out) was his first love and what he would always go back to after The Tonight Show ended for him. Ah, the many faces of Jay.

Comment by TV Gord – April 3, 2013 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Well, I’ll take Jay any day over lecherous Letterman and his many sins…but after seeing you scurry place to place to post your hate–er, “opinion”–you might want to pace yourself…

Comment by *YAWN* you are sooooo predictable.... – April 4, 2013 12:36 AM PDT
          • Don’t call him Jay, that’s my name. Call that aging hack Leno! And Fallon’s going to do great because he’s much more likable than Leno.

Comment by Jay – April 4, 2013 10:08 AM PDT
          • You’re just as predictable, YAWN. The difference is you cowardly hide behind different names, whereas I have the courage of my convictions, and I’m not afraid to use my real name.

Comment by TV Gord – April 4, 2013 10:32 AM PDT
          • LOL, really, TV Gord? Or is it Deacon, or is it, really, how many names have you gone through at TV Guide? You tend to pop up every time Jay Leno is mentioned, eager to repeat your insight on how things REALLY went down. Because, after all you KNOW every little detail because you were there, right? I’m calling BS, you love to throw around the “cowardly” word, but sweetie, it takes one to know one… Here’s a thought, sit on it and rotate.

Comment by Yawn, (and you are still predictable...) – April 4, 2013 07:15 PM PDT
  • I miss Johnny!

Comment by Pam – April 3, 2013 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Another brilliant idea from the think tank at NBC. Good job @@!

Comment by Mike (@A_mah_zing_8584) – April 3, 2013 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Different strokes for different folks. I like Jimmy, and can’t stand Leno. Too arrogant-sounding and annoying for my tastes. I wonder what this will mean for Letterman and Kimmel.

Comment by Laura – April 3, 2013 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not a fan of Fallon. Love Leno.

Comment by M – April 3, 2013 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Leno had a bright future ahead of him playing to half-empty casino showrooms.

Comment by et al. – April 3, 2013 10:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who are all these people playing Cap’n-Save-A-Leno? He says this time feels right to leave. Well, 2009 felt right too. And, really, about 2000 felt right. Leno is terrible, unfunny, and two-faced.

Comment by mondosalvo – April 3, 2013 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think that Jay Leno is a prime example of what this COUNTRY is all about today.
    If a person’s age is over 40 look out- times are changing… no matter what talent you have…I wonder what Jonny Carson would say about this society where younger is
    better…so long Jay…and keep your head up!

Comment by Alice Keenan – April 3, 2013 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You do realize that David Letterman is three years older than Leno and he still has his show.

Comment by Esaul – April 3, 2013 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • “I wonder what Jonny Carson would say about this society where younger is
        better” — Ask any of his blonde wives.

Comment by mondosalvo – April 3, 2013 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • OMG! Thank you for this! Brilliant!

Comment by CountryQueen – April 3, 2013 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • all I have to say is good luck to Jimmy…maybe it will actually happen this time

Comment by nancy – April 3, 2013 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Out with the crap, in with the more crap. Fallon is terrible, but Leno is also terrible. Lose lose situation they got themselves into.

Comment by Truth – April 3, 2013 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ok now that we got this mess all sorted out can NBC please renew Guys With Kids?! Let Jimmy keep his show

Comment by Ram510 – April 3, 2013 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • until Leno gets tired of retirement, claims it’s not all it’s cracked up to be and decides he wants to come back and host the Tonight Show, AGAIN.

I just lost all respect for Fallon

Comment by Tom Whiting – April 3, 2013 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does anyone under the age of 60 even know who Jay Leno is? It’s time to put that a-hole out to pasture. How many comedians has he screwed over for personal gain.
    I gotta be honest, I didn’t even know he was still on TV, I’m too busy with Fallon, Kimmel, and Conan!!!
    Awesome news!!!

Comment by Johnny Carson – April 3, 2013 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jimmy has been blowing up virally with all his cutting edge impressions and musical sketches. Even winning a Grammy for Best Comedy Album! He has the potential to be the King of Late Night while Leno will just get staler. NBC is making the right move.

Comment by JASon – April 3, 2013 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This will last about six months till Leno gets jealous again and decides he wants the show back

Comment by Tom Charles – April 3, 2013 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sorry I’m an idiot, but can someone tell me exactly what this means? Does it mean Jimmy will no longer be with The Roots and Higgins, etc? I really like what his show is now = (.

Comment by Courtney – April 3, 2013 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • We don’t know the details. I’m sure The Roots would love to be the Tonight Show act, and Higgins would probably not be going anywhere ;)

Comment by twhiting9276 – April 3, 2013 03:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jay is KING. Fox doesn’t have a late night talk show. They have local news at 10 PM and then it’s reruns. If they were smart, they’d offer Jay a deal and premiere a Late Night Talk Show. He’ll beat everyone else in the ratings as he does now. Fingers crossed.

Comment by Georgia – April 3, 2013 03:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Fox already has plans to jump back into late night, and something tells me the way they court the younger demos, they’re not about to offer the show to a guy in his 60s.

Comment by TV Gord – April 3, 2013 05:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What has Jay Leno done in the past 10 years for you to consider him KIng. Well, besides screw over Conan O’Brien and steal material from Howard Stern.
      Jay needs to retire and go away. Anyone who listened to him when he was relevent is either dying off or sleeping when he’s on.
      Time for the new breed of late night. Their names are Conan, Jimmy, and Jimmy!!!!

Comment by Jack Paar – April 3, 2013 11:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve been here before, and I could care less. I love Conan, always have. Stopped watching Leno the moment he claimed the Tonight Show again. Don’t watch Fallon, don’t find him funny. Right now, all I watch on the Peacock is Community and Revolution, and once those are gone I doubt I’ll be back.
    NBC sucks in more ways than this. They’ve gone downhill since Friends, and they’re crashing and burning. I don’t no who’s in charge of programming but at this point they could hire a monkey to pick piece of paper out of a hat and still do ten times better.

Comment by S. – April 3, 2013 05:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Say what you will about Leno but I think NBC is making a big mistake AGAIN. No wonder they’er in such sorry shape. Look at their lineup, very few really good shows on the air anymore. The NBC executives don’t have enough common sense NOT to wipe their nose right after wiping their butts with the same tissue. The CBS schedule is way better.

Comment by AntiquatedFlatulence – April 4, 2013 02:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t enjoy watching Fallon.

Comment by Martin – April 4, 2013 05:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As some posters have previously said, Joel McHale would be a more suitable replacement for Fallon than Seth Meyers. Oh, well.

Comment by Sarabi – April 4, 2013 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I feel oddly compelled to check from time to time and make sure this awful move could still be true. Fallon is about as funny as cancer, the unemployment rate or those awful Capital One commercials featuring Fallon and that money-hating baby. Replacing Leno with that clod will give a boost to Leno’s legacy, but that’s about the only good thing that will come out of it.

Comment by HawgWyld – May 9, 2013 07:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t understand why people still state which shows they watch based on their timeslots. DVR and TiVo have changed the way most people watch TV. Timeslots are meaningless. I watch my Coco and my Jimmy Fallon whenever it is convenient for me. Jimmy is more talented than Leno IMO.

Comment by Donovan C. – June 8, 2013 11:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jimmy Fallon is not entertaining at all. Seen a couple of his shows and had to turn it. I hope FOX pick up Leno.

Comment by Debbie Romero – February 15, 2014 07:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • At least we don’t have to watch Ricky humping his bass every time the camera is pointed at him.

Comment by Homer Simpson – February 21, 2014 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • After installing new blinds, cut off any extra length
    of blind cording. Once dry, you can paint the caulk to match the trim if necessary.
    When doing a web search looking for a contractor
    to hire, do specific niche searches.

Comment by Gaston – March 18, 2014 07:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hi there! I know this is kinda off topic but I was wondering which
    blog platform are you using for this site? I’m getting fed up
    of WordPress because I’ve had problems with hackers and
    I’m looking at options for another platform. I would be fantastic if
    you could point me in the direction of a good platform.

Comment by Contract Wars Hack Tool – March 31, 2014 08:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post