Walking Dead Season 4 Scoop: Who Is Roy Stark?

Get More: Casting News

Walking Dead Season 4 SpoilersThe Walking Dead has quietly begun replenishing its ranks in the wake of Sunday’s deadly Season 3 finale.

TVLine has confirmed that the AMC smash has issued a Season 4 casting call for the series regular role of “Roy Stark,” who’s described as a former army medic who is deeply haunted by his past — pre- and post-zombie apocalypse. As a result, he’s a bit of a loner, although he maintains a charming/self-deprecating/confident public face.

RELATED | Walking Dead Finale Post Mortem: Robert Kirkman Talks Andrea Backlash (Including the Pliers!), Defends Rick’s Decision, Previews Season 4

The part calls for an actor in his early 30s to mid 40s.

PHOTOS | The Walking Dead: 15 Most Memorable Moments of Season 3

In an interview with TVLine on Monday, Robert Kirkman confirmed that the show’s fourth season (bowing in October) will feature some “big differences” from Season 3, including “new locations and new places to discover and explore.” The two seasons will share at least one common thread: David Morrissey will continue to raise hell as the Governor.

OK, comic book aficionados — does this character remind you of anyone? Abraham, perhaps? Got casting tips? Hit the comments!

Comments (72)

• Abraham!!

Comment by Steve – April 2, 2013 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seems like a Sgt. Abraham to me..

Comment by iamtheblurr – April 2, 2013 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ABRAHAM!!! OMG! That would be great!!!

Comment by Mike – April 2, 2013 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m thinking Abraham, probably. I’m super excited!

Comment by Wada ☂ (@WadaStinsbatsky) – April 2, 2013 09:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes, There is a Doctor in the comic that was in Woodbury and he scapes with rick to the Jail

Comment by Erick – April 2, 2013 09:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • GRAPHIC NOVEL SPOILERS

That isn’t entirely true. The doc dies during the escape. His nurse is the one that gets away to the prison and delivers the baby. Lori doesn’t die in birth like the show. Without spoiling to much she dies later in the attack by the Governor

Comment by Sharif – April 4, 2013 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He died right outside the wall. His assistant is the one who made it to the prison.

Comment by Alec_Greymoon – April 16, 2013 07:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hate the governor. I don’t even understand his motives. And why did they have to kill Andrea? I feel like she was needed. She was the only one who brought a sense of humanity to the show. I don’t wanna watch a war movie anymore.

Comment by Laquisha – April 2, 2013 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There are several characters still that bring “a sense of humanity” to the show. Perhaps Andrea was too much of a liberal and that is why she is now dead!!!!

Comment by sadie burns – April 2, 2013 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Stay classy. And your logic fails. If we follow your train of thought then Rick and just about everyone on his “team” are too liberal and will get killed off.

Comment by discopunkk – April 2, 2013 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow you copied that from SpoilerTV who posted this hours ago. Didn’t even credit them.

Oh well Walking Dead spoiler hounds know where to go to get their spoilers.

Comment by jen – April 2, 2013 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Its sounds like a charactor named Bob from Woodbury.

Comment by Jason A – April 2, 2013 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • oh wow you’re right… the town drunk that was an ex-army medic… but honestly i wouldn’t care for him…

SPOILERS-

All i wanna see is Abraham, Rosita, and Eugene.. Maybe even as a season 4 finale they meet up with Aaron and Eric and they bring Rick’s group to Douglas… That would be interesting!

Comment by John – April 9, 2013 08:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That would be amazing to see happen but took at what they did with the season 3 finale… It was such a disappointment.

Comment by alecgreymoon – April 16, 2013 07:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sounds like a great part for Josh Holloway.

Comment by Plum – April 2, 2013 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • While I agree this would be a great part for Josh, he has a pilot on CBS. Would love to see him on the Walking Dead though!

Comment by Joanne – April 2, 2013 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I highly doubt it’s Abraham. He’s a huge character (more iconic than Tyreese even), so if this was supposed to him, they would’ve used his name.

He’s probably not gonna be introduced until early Season 5.

Comment by Matt – April 2, 2013 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i love the show but i’m not all familar with the comics who ever this ROY STARK charcter is hope he is well enough to join rick’ s group. since he’s a military medic he can really help them out now that they have people 4rm woodbury who are mostly kids and old folks.

Comment by Ashley – April 2, 2013 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ve wondered if at this point they would now use fake names when casting characters to keep the fans from sniffing things out. It’s not impossible. I don’t read the comics though, so it makes no difference to me.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – April 2, 2013 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Exactly what I was thinking… Knowing there’s the comic out there, if I was one of the producers of the show, I’d give a fake name for the casting call, but giving out char info like what they’ve done. I mean, I wouldn’t be surprised if Roy = Abraham come october – let’s keep an eye out on who they cast for it, and we’ll see where it might be going?

Comment by Delirious – April 2, 2013 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah, seconds after I made this post I realized the whole ‘codename’ thing lol. It’s a shame there’s no way to edit your posts on here :( I still stand by my below post though!

Comment by Matt – April 2, 2013 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Fake names on casting calls are VERY common, especially on shows like this that hinge on the suspense of new plot twists.

Comment by J – April 2, 2013 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. Theres no way they could replace Abraham’s name given how significant he is in the comics. I’ll be PISSED

Comment by Jax – April 4, 2013 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Another man what a surprise, bet he’s right after Karl in the new masculinist chain of command. I’m bored!

Comment by Frenchgirl – April 2, 2013 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • if your bored of the show then DON’T WATCH! THAT’S WHAT THE REMOTE IS FOR…………

Comment by A – April 2, 2013 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah I’m enjoying the show, but they need more women. The two most prominent female characters died this season, so let’s bring in yet another man? I don’t care for Carol and Maggie bores me. Either bring in another woman or give Michonne a bigger role.

Comment by AJ – April 2, 2013 04:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Kirkman and Gimple have said in interviews that the women will get expanded roles next season, and Gimple has said specifically that Carol and Beth will be developed further.

Comment by Kevin – April 2, 2013 05:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • AJ, If you’re a man, the women aren’t supposed to appeal to your libido. If you’re a woman, that’s typical. Women don’t like other women.

Comment by GregR – April 3, 2013 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The fact that this person is a medic too, in my opinion, doesn’t really gel with Abraham’s character. Being what he was in the comics, a Sergeant, it made sense and connected directly with his booming/authoritative demeanor. And then there’s yet another factor you have to contemplate………wouldn’t it be a bit much having him, Daryl, and Tyreese all co-existing together?

Comment by Matt – April 2, 2013 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • well he could have been a combat medic if they are going to go down the route of that character.

Comment by Alan – April 2, 2013 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • damm i would be a great actor on the walking dead tv show, i would bring something fresh new and exciting to the hit tv show if any spaces pop up please contact me.

Comment by kris watson – April 2, 2013 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m sure they’ll get right on that.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – April 2, 2013 10:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Expect this guy to work for the Governor, at least at first.

Comment by Mike – April 2, 2013 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t read the comic books but when I saw his picture linked from here, I thought he looks like Dominic Purcell of Prison Break. So I hope he auditions and gets the job!

Comment by King – April 2, 2013 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wow he would be a perfect fit for the whole “caos” scene, hope to see him :D

Comment by Kresh – April 2, 2013 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was wondering if the female doctor in Woodbury we saw a few times was among the few that were brought over by Rick. It would have been dumb for the Governor to make her carry a gun and go on the raid because I would think, like Milton, her skills were too important.

Comment by Snsetblaze – April 2, 2013 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well given that she’s female…she’s probably dead…or whining about something…or just being poorly written. Does it matter with this show?

Comment by Josh – April 2, 2013 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That drawing of him from the comic looks a lot like me when I have on a beanie. Where do I audition?

Comment by Sg. Grant – April 2, 2013 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great. Another “deeply haunted by his past” idiot. Now we have to see his character development where he will be miserable. sad, full of himself. doing stupid and selfish things… But of course he will be pretty and charming and we will fall in love with him…

Comment by Shy – April 2, 2013 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cast Paul Sr. From American chopper as Abraham.

Comment by JesusBenitex – April 2, 2013 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Roy Stark is probably just “Roy Stark” – Abraham in the comics was a Sgt. not a medic. Then again, WD has made some stupid decisions before.

Would it be possible for TVline to host an online Q&A with Kirkman and G.A. Hurd? I’m very interested to know how they feel about the handling of the whole ensemble aspect of the show over the last three seasons and how they plan to actually change it.

Comment by David S – April 2, 2013 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • couldnt he just have been a combat medic when he was younger before he became a sergeant? those two facts arent necessarily mutually exclusive.

Comment by Alan – April 2, 2013 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was a combat medic for the Marines and Navy Seabee’s and although I wasn’t in the Army I’m pretty sure Sgt. is just the rank someone attains and doesn’t classify your job in the Army. Having said that I’m curious if the Sgt. is a medic as well.

Comment by Devildoc – April 3, 2013 08:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • anyone know where there holding auditions

Comment by k.ward – April 2, 2013 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • they wont just throw open their doors for anyone to give it a go, they would still be casting the role in 5 years at that rate. unless you have an agent you wont even know when the casting process is going to take place.

Comment by Alan – April 2, 2013 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They’re diverging more and more from the comics. We’ll certainly see most, if not all, of the popular characters from the comics, and visit the same locations, but the resolution of the storylines will take very different paths, and characters that lived a long time in the comics may die quickly – and characters not in the comics may take on huge roles.

I think Roy is a new character. And I am looking forward to seeing how new characters impact the tv series and keep it from being a repeat of the comics.

Comment by Mr. John – April 2, 2013 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is he of House Stark? Maybe he’s Jon Snows twin brother. I have to feel they picked that name for the simple fact that Game of Thrones is on at the same time and took a chunk out of their ratings for the finale.

Comment by RobMF – April 2, 2013 04:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lol’d at the first 2 sentences and eye rolled at the last 1.

Comment by Kristen – April 3, 2013 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m sorry for coming out 8 days later. But I just had to: 12.40 million watched the last episode of this season. When it premiered with 10.87. And if we actually tally the numbers of the previous season: 8.99 for the season two final. I could therefore say that no, Walking Dead did not lose a chunk out of viewers, when it had it’s highest numbers to date.

In comparison.4,366 was the amount of viewers that watched the season opening for Game of Thrones.

This means that your comment is really laughable So better luck next time.

Comment by Someone who does research. – April 9, 2013 09:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ok 1 of u said its the doctor that leaves Woodbury & another said its bob.. No to both.. the doctor that left Woodbury in the comics was dr. Stephens or stevens.. & its already showed bob in the show. only 1 episode, the governor is trying to get him to go eat. So yea im shooting for Abraham!

Comment by nubbz – April 2, 2013 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ryan Hurst as Abraham! It’d be perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Dakota Koda-Bear Fry – April 2, 2013 07:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OMG! THAT is an awesome idea!!!!!!

Comment by You Rule! – April 2, 2013 11:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When is Rick going to get a new lady? He’s too good of a man to be alone. I hope they choose well for him. He could use a shoulder to lean on.

Comment by Kisha from Houston – April 2, 2013 08:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • michonne, they have things in common.

Comment by Ashley – April 3, 2013 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Roy Harper turned into Tony Stark son?. I would be so down with that

Yup comic fan here.

Comment by Zathe – April 2, 2013 10:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Long lost, unknown son of Ned Stark?

Comment by Bob – April 3, 2013 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cast Nicholas Brendon for the part. He would be great for it.

Comment by Gail – April 3, 2013 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bring some others characters back
    like Amy, Sophia, Lori, Andrea, or
    bring the Alice character but just like
    one from comic. I have some ideas
    for season 4 soo if you are
    interesting answer here.

Comment by Bring more people to WD – April 4, 2013 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Im thinking its bob stookey from woodbury because he was a former army medic and on the walking dead wiki about bob stookey it says robert kirkman said “You may in fact see Bob again soon. Stay tuned”

Comment by Laurence – April 4, 2013 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know if Michael Madsen is busy right now but he’d be great for roy stark

Comment by the edge – April 5, 2013 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anthony Simcoe from Farscape would make the perfect Abraham. Not just acting wise but he’s the right age (43), right height (6’6″) and right hair color (strawberry blonde)

Comment by wdfanatic – April 5, 2013 08:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If it is Abraham then I think Stephen Lang should play the part. He seems to look the part of Abraham and he’d also be a bad ass solider.

Comment by Beaner – April 5, 2013 08:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Casting suggestion for Roy Stark: STEPHEN LANG (even though he’s a little older than the suggested age range)

Comment by Terri Lyn Hall – April 9, 2013 06:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thorsten Kaye would be perfect for this part!!!

Comment by Heidi – April 9, 2013 08:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ron Perlman for Abraham! Too bad he’s doing Sons right now. However I do not think this Roy character is going to turn out to be Abraham, because they said he is a loner and Abraham shows up with a group in the comics. Also it would be a disservice to the character to change the name and some core characteristics just to service the show. They have created new characters for the show that do not exist in the comics, see Daryl, Beth, Tyrese’s crew. It is not outside the realm of possibility.

Comment by Katrina – April 9, 2013 09:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • new medic? bye bye Hershall :(

Comment by Ian – April 10, 2013 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If you kill off Daryl i will stop watching the walking sucks he is the only one to worth watching

Comment by sonia – April 12, 2013 01:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • People like you are the reason he should be killed off.

Comment by LSH – April 13, 2013 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Adam from mythbusters?

Comment by jamie hyneman – April 13, 2013 04:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Josh Holloway for the new role…that would be awesome….dont think it is abraham tho…since he has ppl with him in the comics…unless they introduce him first and then he brings rosita and the others to meet ricks group…I loved Abraham in the comics!!

Comment by Melissa Saelens – August 28, 2013 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post