HBO Renews Game of Thrones for Season 4

Get More: Renewals

Game of Thrones Renewed Season 4This Game is far from over.

Game of Thrones has been renewed for a fourth season, HBO announced Tuesday.

PHOTOS | 13 Plot Twists We Wish Were April Fool’s Jokes

The pickup was considered inevitable even before the epic notched a new ratings record with Sunday’s Season 3 premiere. The episode drew a series-best audience of 4.4 million total viewers, rising 13 percent from the drama’s sophomore opener and up 4 percent from the previous finale.

Folding in two encores broadcasts, the premiere (read our recap here) amassed 6.7 million viewers, up 7 percent versus Season 2′s opening night cume.

Comments (20)

• Surprising? Not at all. But still fantastic to have it 100% confirmed.

Comment by Will – April 2, 2013 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Prediction: True Blood will be cancelled.

Comment by WTactualF – April 2, 2013 10:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, HBO is going to cancel it’s highest rated show.

Comment by Olive – April 3, 2013 12:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Surprise, surprise. Still awesome though.

Comment by Anna – April 2, 2013 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know why they didn’t just go ahead and renew through season 5. Everybody knows 4 won’t be the last.

Comment by MJ – April 2, 2013 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I need to watch this. Wish Netflix didn’t split streaming/dvds. I naturally went with streaming. >.<

Comment by Esaul – April 2, 2013 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Just borrow a friend’s HBO Go login. That is what I do. I would pay for just an HBO subscription, if I had that option. If I didn’t have the borrowed login, I would just do what everyone else who would pay for just HBO Go does and pirate it. It is available on the internet usually within 5 minutes of when it finishes airing.

I guess, alternatively, if you are a cable customer, just wait until the season finishes, pay for HBO for a month, the marathon the whole season on HBO Go within a weekend or two of that paid for month.

Comment by Sg. Grant – April 2, 2013 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well the dvds come our shortly before the new season starts. You can upgrade to the dvd plan for one month, or watch it illegally after an episode airs. I had to get HBO just so I can watch GoT and Boardwalk Empire in high def.

Comment by shump – April 2, 2013 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What! No cancel it. Super low ratings. It doesn’t hold any of it’s lead-in. Said no one ever.

Comment by Teag – April 2, 2013 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bit of a no brainer on HBO’s part, but still makes me happy happy happy.

Comment by kirads09 – April 2, 2013 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy! Bring on the Red Viper. Can’t wait for House Martell to be brought into the fold.

Comment by Brian – April 2, 2013 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know me either. They are my favorite house. Bring on Sunspear.

Comment by Olive – April 3, 2013 12:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They’re my favorite house as well. Unbowed, Unbent, and Unbroken. The Sandsnakes, the Red Viper, the Rhoynar. F-Yeah House Martell!

Comment by Unak78 – April 8, 2013 09:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not surprising. But very happy to know that GoT will be back for sure. I appreciate the quick announcement :)

Comment by Eliza – April 2, 2013 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Didn’t one of the main cast let slip weeks ago that he’d already seen half the scripts for season 4?

Comment by Scott – April 2, 2013 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, OF COURSE it got renewed, because it’s great!

Comment by Liz – April 2, 2013 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No surprise here, especially since it was already announced that the current season only covers the first half of the third book. I wonder in they’re also going to split books 4 & 5 into multiple seasons…
    Personally I would combine the various plot lines of the books (since they do take place simultaneously) and tell them over 3 or 4 seasons. Doing this would make sure that all the characters remain in the next few seasons while also giving GRRM time to actually, you know, finish the last two books.

Comment by Regal – April 2, 2013 03:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m hoping that HBO has the right to finish the series on its own in case Martin dies before writing the final book in the series.

Comment by David P. Graf – April 3, 2013 07:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I read somewhere, it might even be on this website, that if GRRM doesn’t finish the books before the tv show catches up, that Benioff and Weiss who write the screenplays for the majority of GoT’s episodes will progress GoT in their own way. But that’s several years off yet and GRRM has a lot of input into the TV show. In fact I think he’s written episode 7 of this current third season, so GRRM must be very happy with how Benioff and Weiss are transferring his books to TV.

Comment by Scott – May 4, 2013 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Didn’t he tell someone at the show where he was going, just in case the show catches up to the books/he doesn’t make it?

Comment by Mikael – April 3, 2013 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post