HBO Renews Game of Thrones for Season 4

Game of Thrones Renewed Season 4This Game is far from over.

Game of Thrones has been renewed for a fourth season, HBO announced Tuesday.

PHOTOS | 13 Plot Twists We Wish Were April Fool’s Jokes

The pickup was considered inevitable even before the epic notched a new ratings record with Sunday’s Season 3 premiere. The episode drew a series-best audience of 4.4 million total viewers, rising 13 percent from the drama’s sophomore opener and up 4 percent from the previous finale.

Folding in two encores broadcasts, the premiere (read our recap here) amassed 6.7 million viewers, up 7 percent versus Season 2′s opening night cume.

1. Will says:

Surprising? Not at all. But still fantastic to have it 100% confirmed.

2. WTactualF says:

Prediction: True Blood will be cancelled.

3. Anna says:

Surprise, surprise. Still awesome though.

4. MJ says:

I don’t know why they didn’t just go ahead and renew through season 5. Everybody knows 4 won’t be the last.

5. Esaul says:

I need to watch this. Wish Netflix didn’t split streaming/dvds. I naturally went with streaming. >.<

• Sg. Grant says:

Just borrow a friend’s HBO Go login. That is what I do. I would pay for just an HBO subscription, if I had that option. If I didn’t have the borrowed login, I would just do what everyone else who would pay for just HBO Go does and pirate it. It is available on the internet usually within 5 minutes of when it finishes airing.

I guess, alternatively, if you are a cable customer, just wait until the season finishes, pay for HBO for a month, the marathon the whole season on HBO Go within a weekend or two of that paid for month.

• shump says:

Well the dvds come our shortly before the new season starts. You can upgrade to the dvd plan for one month, or watch it illegally after an episode airs. I had to get HBO just so I can watch GoT and Boardwalk Empire in high def.

6. Teag says:

What! No cancel it. Super low ratings. It doesn’t hold any of it’s lead-in. Said no one ever.

7. kirads09 says:

Bit of a no brainer on HBO’s part, but still makes me happy happy happy.

8. Brian says:

So happy! Bring on the Red Viper. Can’t wait for House Martell to be brought into the fold.

9. Eliza says:

Not surprising. But very happy to know that GoT will be back for sure. I appreciate the quick announcement :)

10. Scott says:

Didn’t one of the main cast let slip weeks ago that he’d already seen half the scripts for season 4?

11. Liz says:

Well, OF COURSE it got renewed, because it’s great!

12. Regal says:

No surprise here, especially since it was already announced that the current season only covers the first half of the third book. I wonder in they’re also going to split books 4 & 5 into multiple seasons…
    Personally I would combine the various plot lines of the books (since they do take place simultaneously) and tell them over 3 or 4 seasons. Doing this would make sure that all the characters remain in the next few seasons while also giving GRRM time to actually, you know, finish the last two books.

13. David P. Graf says:

I’m hoping that HBO has the right to finish the series on its own in case Martin dies before writing the final book in the series.

• Scott says:

I read somewhere, it might even be on this website, that if GRRM doesn’t finish the books before the tv show catches up, that Benioff and Weiss who write the screenplays for the majority of GoT’s episodes will progress GoT in their own way. But that’s several years off yet and GRRM has a lot of input into the TV show. In fact I think he’s written episode 7 of this current third season, so GRRM must be very happy with how Benioff and Weiss are transferring his books to TV.

14. Mikael says:

Didn’t he tell someone at the show where he was going, just in case the show catches up to the books/he doesn’t make it?