Idology: Can Angie Rebound From Disaster? Plus: Lazaro's Bad 'Tude, Amber & Kree Advice!

Troubling undertones bubbled up throughout Motown Week on Season 12 of American Idol, and this week’s Idology is here to shed some light on ‘em.

My cohost Melinda Doolittle and I examine Angie Miller’s sudden and unexpected fall from grace — and ponder a theory about the one-time front-runner that has chilling implications. We also debate how much deeper into the competition the underachieving Lazaro Arbos can go — especially now that he’s seemingly developing a stank attitude in the face of relentless criticism.

VIDEO | Idol‘s Paul Jolley on the Bon Jovi Cover You Never Heard and the Full Story Behind His Beatles Track

Of course, even Top 8 Week’s outstanding performers get a critical assessment: Melinda and I offer advice to help keep Candice Glover, Kree Harrison and Amber Holcomb safe from shock eliminations. Plus, we deconstruct Janelle Arthur’s fab rearragement of a Supremes ditty, scratch our heads about Burnell Taylor’s sudden obsession with the letter ‘m,’ and break down the “Boys Trio from Hell” — aka “I Can’t Help Myself (Sugar Pie Honey Bunch).”

PHOTOS | 13 Plot Twists We Wish Were April Fool’s Jokes

So press play below for the whole enchilada, and for all my Idol news, interviews, recaps and commentary, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Comments (186)

• Are we getting one of this for The Voice?

Comment by Dan – April 1, 2013 06:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There was one for The Voice and X-Factor. I’d like to see one for The Voice too.

Comment by Michael Sacal – April 1, 2013 06:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • People like you are so frickin annoying. This is about Idol. If you like The Voice so much why don’t you go write about it yourself on a Voice message board or blog.

Comment by chitta – April 1, 2013 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I love Idol. Last season we got Reality chick, which is like Idology, so I wanted to have it again. I just want to see more of Michael and Melinda!

Comment by Dan – April 1, 2013 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • wow, that wasn’t really nice, chitta!

Comment by Amadeu – April 1, 2013 05:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Jeez he only asked! People like YOU are the ones who are Truly annoying, “Chita”. Your response was unreasonable and mean. Ridiculous.

Comment by Luke – April 1, 2013 06:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • It’s called Idology not Voiceology. Fine how about we start talking about the 50th anniversary of General Hospital here also instead of that posting. How obnoxious !!

Comment by chitta – April 1, 2013 11:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You’re annoying.

Comment by LOLOL – April 1, 2013 10:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I have to agree. Please shut up about The Voice on American Idol related topics. That is incredibly obnoxious. If I want to read about The Voice, I’ll look for articles on that subject elsewhere and not spam AI related topics. I don’t watch that show and I have never heard a single song produced by a winner on that show.

Comment by Norda – April 1, 2013 11:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Um maybe because last year the video covered BOTH xfactor and the voice (and you didn’t hear any voice or xfactor fans going nuts and acting like babies just because they didn’t get an exclusive ‘pure’ video).

Comment by HitTheGroundRunning – April 2, 2013 03:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Umm because there was no Voice video so this was the place to ask about it. Last year they had the xfactor and the voice covered in the same video, people are wondering what happened to the voice half this year.

Comment by HitTheGroundRunning – April 2, 2013 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Take it easy chitta. I think the reason ths is happening is because Idol is becoming a victim of itself, and The Voice is so much more refreshing. Idol has some incredible talent on board this year, but since the start it’s all been the girls, period. And this Lazaro virus is downright unbearable. I get a strong feeling that someone significant is going to get voted off tonight, and I don’t think it’s going to be Lazaro. And I’d bet that the “save” is going to get used up tonight, just to satisfy a Lazaro wrong. And in the end, all this nonsensical melodrama over a non talent surviving either because of pity, perceived “cuteness” or ethnic background( all of which have nothing to do with singing skills) has made a sorry mockery of the show this year. Up to this point it hasn’t had a bad impact, but tonight onward, it undermines the credibility of this show terribly, which is a shame. And finally, that is what has opened up a gap that The Voice is leaping into, and why so many are commenting about it, in this thread.

Comment by Ralph – April 10, 2013 11:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like the hand gestures of Burnell. I consider his style of movement endearing

Comment by GG – April 1, 2013 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I always find hand gestures endearing (and incredibly sexy, in the case of Naya Rivera from Glee). I loved Elise’s “I’m going to touch every note I sing” thing last season.

Comment by Trouty Mouth – April 2, 2013 02:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, we want some “The Voice” recap. Idol had become mediocre and boring.

Comment by Robert Lucina – April 2, 2013 12:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • So do one yourself and stop spamming the Idol recap. LOL

Comment by Jamie Simone – April 2, 2013 08:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah how can the year of Shakira not get covered on video????

Comment by HitTheGroundRunning – April 2, 2013 03:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nicki has insisted to Lazaro that he, in essence, ignore his critics, particularly Jimmy.

So now he is.

“Be careful what you wish for” applies, n’cest-pas?

Comment by WDDB – April 1, 2013 06:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Michael, you need to discuss how by the producers stacking the deck with great female singers and horrible males without any rockers or cute white boys n the top 10 the show is hitting their lowest ratings ever as their younger female audience is disappearing in droves.

Comment by Jake – April 1, 2013 08:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • very good point and is exactly so true!

Comment by visitor from another planet – April 1, 2013 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • But maybe that’s a good thing? When the speed dialing kids leave the voting get more fair and accurate.

Comment by Harmony – April 1, 2013 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • But the network in not in the business of being fair and accurate. They are in the business of selling products to viewers. If they alienate their core audience and ratings drop, they will soon lose advertisers as well…then, bye-bye show. Really dumb idea to give the bulk of their viewers no reason to tune in.

Comment by zaza – April 1, 2013 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • So please explain to me the Lazaro atrocity! Please. Top three?! Puhleeze!!!

Comment by Ralph – April 10, 2013 11:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • There is not a single rocker or cute white boy I saw at any point in the auditions or anywhere who deserved to be in the top 10 boys, and Idol’s ratings have been on the decline for two or three years. That’s not to say there is no causal link, there well may be. But for me, I’m glad that idol did no worse than usual (to my mind) at getting the cream of the crop that we saw into the top 20.

Comment by ben – April 1, 2013 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Cream of the crop? I hope not. I would be in despair over the state of American talent if I thought that Idol hand-picked the cream of the crop. There were plenty of good, talented men in that crop that could have replaced any of the ones they ended up choosing. Off the top of my head … Johnny Keyser (who I’m not even a fan of), Jimmy Smith, Gabe Brown, Vincent Powell, David Willis, Bryant Tadeo … any of these guys could have replaced almost any of the ones they chose, and it would have been a better season.

Comment by deedee – April 1, 2013 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Amen, sister…especially Johnny and Bryant.

Comment by The Beach – April 1, 2013 03:40 PM PDT
          • Plus they could have decided no rockers and limited cute guys before the season started so they didn’t even get past the initial auditions. There’s thousands of auditions you didn’t see!

Comment by JASon – April 1, 2013 06:30 PM PDT
          • Vincent and Bryant got to the voting rounds and was cut. Blame the voters, not the judges, for their ousters. As for the others, they performed poorly and got eliminated.

Comment by Trouty Mouth – April 2, 2013 02:58 AM PDT
          • Right, Vincent had a bad night and was voted out. But Bryant? I honestly don’t remember him in a voting round. Anyway, point being that the men who did get through were not the best of the general auditions.
            The sad part is that many good singers who were cut – and who are watching this season with disgust – will choose not to audition again. Result is – we lose out on seeing potentially great talent in the future.

Comment by deedee – April 2, 2013 06:54 AM PDT
      • The ratings have been going down before this season – I think it’s more that the show is aging and there are now too many similar shows. And idol also thinks they change format but they only make slight adjustments when they need new blood entirely like new theme nights – change the stupid unlimited voting. All they did was make it easier to place 50 votes – You still have the problem of the one type of voter who power texts and phones having too much influence . The show is so arrogant that they expect you give them 2 hours of voting after watching 2 hours.

Comment by WL – April 1, 2013 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I just have to say Amen to that! When the show started very few teenagers had cell phones to power votes. And if they did, there was no unlimited messages. The core viewers might be the same, but the core voters are completely different.

Comment by Nephtalia – April 1, 2013 10:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Idol’s ratings are a direct reflection of the show. Its tired! Its a one trick pony thats been beat to death. If I never hear Randy say dude or their in it to win it ,again in my life thats fine with me. Nicki is obnoxious, Mariah is another Paula overly sweet, and Keith The best of the judges in my opinion, deserves a better gig!

Comment by Jim Harless – April 3, 2013 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay~Idology’s up! That is all. :)

Comment by Amy – April 1, 2013 06:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amber is in the Thia Megia Ghetto. I blame the heels for Kree’s low energy. Thank god I am a dude since I don’t want to ever wear those!

Comment by Dan – April 1, 2013 06:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i totally agree with the first 2 points. but you know what- even Kree, a woman, doesn’t have to wear them! so i hope she learned from falling on TV and she reconsiders those heels. they’re fine for photo shoots dear, not performing!

Comment by noa – April 1, 2013 07:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The heels are really derailing her. Agreed.

Comment by Teeny Bikini – April 1, 2013 07:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Cowgirl boots are the answer. Or platforms. But the breakneck heels they’ve put on her are preposterous.

Comment by deedee – April 1, 2013 03:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Amber is far more talented than Thia.

Comment by WL – April 1, 2013 06:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She is. The Thia Megia Ghetto is simply that she is only choosing diva ballads and slow songs.

Comment by Dan – April 1, 2013 09:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Do The Voice pls… wiggle wiggle wiggle…

Comment by Casey – April 1, 2013 06:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You two make the best team/duo out there and I wish I could see a full length 30min/hour episode every week with you guys together live…it’s just ‘beautiful’ as the judges might say ;)

Comment by Nick Caine – April 1, 2013 07:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The chemistry between Slezak and Melinda is so wonderful. Its truly what Idol’s judging panel needs. All it takes is two people passionate, knowledgeable and honest and you’ve got the recipe for wonderful judging.

Get rid of the big name celebs and their scripted feedback and forced interplay. I know its impossible on Fox, but somewhere in an alternate universe Mikey and Mindy-doo are bizzaro-Idol’s entire judging line up. And its all sponsored by a red wine vineyard and flannel shirt maker, not Coke & At&T.

Comment by Teddy – April 1, 2013 07:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • sounds like bizzaro-Idol is my favorite show. and i think Arrested Development was never cancelled on bizzaro-Fox. such a great network.

Comment by noa – April 1, 2013 07:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I LOVE THAT SHOW! I still watch some episodes on Netflix.

Comment by Dan – April 1, 2013 07:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love, love, love Melinda and Michael together. Smart, fun, sassy, and total Idol knowledge. It just works. I wish Mariah had even one of those things. I just can’t figure out why she always befuddled and lost for words. I thought if they let her talk first, she would have more to say – but it’s even more awkward. She actually makes me like Randy more. He sounds really smart this season.

Comment by Teeny Bikini – April 1, 2013 07:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I know. What is happening? o.O

Comment by Harmony – April 1, 2013 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think it’s a white wine vineyard … but that’s nitpicking. I agree. Michael and Melinda would be the best, most expressive, most hilarious, most pithy and precise judges they could ever want. They’d be perfect. Which is why it’ll never happen. :-|

Comment by deedee – April 1, 2013 03:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ooh, I know! If the panel gets overhauled again next season, how about we bring in the triple-blogger threat of Michael Slezak, Jim Cantiello, and Lyndsey Parker? They’re honest and frank, even admitting when they show bias against a favorite. Plus you have Mike with his food metaphors, Lyndsey with her rock obsession, and Jim with his constant punch lines.
        If you want a fourth judge, it could either be MJ Santilli the Idol sage, Rickey Yaneza the comic relief, or Melinda Green, the unfiltered, tell-you-straight-up B word. And then as an extra segment, we add Brian Mansfield and his patented “Idol Meter!”
        What do you think?

Comment by LeahKittyS – April 1, 2013 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I love it! But I’m afraid only the true Idol geeks would appreciate what superstars these guys really are. The rest of the Planet needs platinum selling divas to be impressed. *sigh* if only we ruled the world.

Comment by deedee – April 1, 2013 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • If Jim Cantiello and Michael Slezak did a segment of Idology together I don’t even think I could handle the awesomeness

Comment by Lauren – April 1, 2013 06:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Each of the three I recommended for the panel has an Idol video show. If we put them all together we would get “The Day After Idology in a Minute!” Problem is, we’d need more than 60 seconds to appreciate what they all have to say.

Comment by LeahKittyS – April 1, 2013 07:14 PM PDT
  • I wish you’d throw some of The Voice in as well. I LOVED having 2 shows dissected in one. Do it? Please? I’ll bake you cookies!

Comment by jalahyacinth – April 1, 2013 07:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • NO NO NO! Idol analyses must not be diluted by coverage of inferior singing competitions. I don’t care about Adam Levine and his hideous tattoo sleeves, and I don’t care about Usher and his uber-cool poses and neon white teeth. Are there contestants on that show? I haven’t noticed.

Comment by deedee – April 1, 2013 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The world loves to remind me that American Idol is the head of all singing shows. I’ll go out shopping or to a restaurant, and I’ll hear songs from Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Jordin Sparks, David Cook, Kris Allen — heck, even Lee DeWyze gets some airplay. Meanwhile, the only thing I ever hear from any Voice winner is, on rare occasion, the Javier Colon duet with Natasha Bedingfield. It’s a nice enough song, but is that really all they got? I don’t watch The Voice, but I don’t think I’m missing much.

Comment by LeahKittyS – April 1, 2013 04:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • YES YES YES! Why are Idol only fans so stingy?? XFACTOR and The Voice fans shared combined video last season and none of them went nuts like so many Idol fans are going at the mere thought of having to listen to a bit about The Voice. The latter is getting every bit as strong ratings anyway so why does it deserve to get the total shaft??

Comment by HitTheGroundRunning – April 2, 2013 03:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Because it is called Idology and that is the show being covered. Please stop spamming and whining. What are you here for if you don’t like Idol? Are you some shill for The Voice?

Comment by Norda – April 3, 2013 02:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • If you are such a big fan of Idol I think you’d recognize my handle from the Idol forums so no I am not a shill from The Voice. Jeez. Can’t believe what babies so many Idol fans are. XFactor and The Voice fans last fall didn’t act anything remotely like this!
            Are YOU not Nigel perhaps??

Comment by HitTheGroundRunning – April 3, 2013 11:30 AM PDT
          • Not to mention what the heck show do you think my handle clearly comes from??

Comment by HitTheGroundRunning – April 3, 2013 11:31 AM PDT
    • We want to hear about Idol, not some second rate show that produces no stars.

Comment by Trouty Mouth – April 2, 2013 03:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s just silly. Idology is produced about Idol, for fans of Idol. Never going to happen, thank heavens.

And just BTW, that request would have been more appropriately made in a column about The Voice; Michael Slezak writes one right here. That’s where you should go to write about Voice; here, we want to hear about Idol. I for one am not at all interested in The Voice.

Comment by marie – April 2, 2013 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great as alway Slezak, but where is Jason?

Comment by drainey323 – April 1, 2013 07:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • my theory is that no one made him care enough to add anything in the captions or clips. but next week, after ms, Kree rocks out i’m hoping he’ll have to chime in again.

Comment by noa – April 1, 2013 07:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • …or maybe he’s on vacation.

Comment by deedee – April 1, 2013 03:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, I wondered same thing on Jason, now 2 wks in a row~you are missed.
      Am hoping there’s been no “Jose’ the sound guy” style shake-up on Idology! ;-)

Comment by Amy – April 1, 2013 07:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • +1 Come back, Jason!!

Comment by CRC – April 1, 2013 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Slezak can you please stop with the Mariah not giving feedback issue that is not all the feedback that she gave Angie she told her to go back to the piano and pick another song

Comment by Ramification – April 1, 2013 07:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She takes an hour to get to the feedback because of all the babbling and she cushions EVERYTHING with her niceness! Those are not good qualities in a judge.

Comment by Dan – April 1, 2013 07:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Dan that was not my point, It was that Mariah did give constructive feedback along with the comments about Angie’s dress. And Nicki comments on how contestants look ALL the time too so Mariah isn’t the only one to do this!

Comment by Rami – April 1, 2013 07:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • There is no point in trying to reason with a bat-guano crazy Mariah fan. Seriously, you’ll defend that airhead until the bitter end, so why would anyone follow your orders?

Comment by Teddy – April 1, 2013 08:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I am just being reasonable and joining a discussion , not putting out any orders! I like Nikki and Keith too.

Comment by Ramification – April 1, 2013 09:00 AM PDT
          • Teddy why are you attacking me just because I am trying to make a point, where in my posts am I being ‘bat guanzo crazy’ exactly? It’s frankly uncalled for

Comment by Ramification – April 1, 2013 09:03 AM PDT
          • She is entitled to her opinion. I was just sharing mine.

Comment by Dan – April 1, 2013 09:08 AM PDT
      • That is the problem with Mariah. She has a point in there somewhere but she is unable to get to it.
        OTH, Nikki gets right to it. Which can be jarring if you are not used to it.

Comment by Name That Tune – April 1, 2013 08:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree with both of you in a way.
          We all know Randy is an idiot, however, I will give him props and say for me for you this is his most quality season of recent memory in terms of giving feedback.
          Mariah drove me crazy at first because of the way she wraps everything in a blanket of compliments before a critique. However now she seems to be the judge with the most useful critiques, despite it taking 5 minutes to get there. If you can unravel her wordiness, she often has something good to say these days.
          Nikki was super interesting for me at first and so direct that it was pure entertainment, however she is starting to frustrate me. She clearly holds a big hatred for Mariah, and that was proven again by the fact that she was being a huge diva and didn’t want to save Devin when (how it looked from my TV screen) the other 3 judges and even the crowd were really getting behind him. She is a bit malicious, and her comments are not really hitting the mark for me now.
          Keith is the best for me because you can tell he really feels the music. Not just that, he is a musician and actually will give musical feedback (instead of saying “pitchy” he will use correct terminology and tell them they were “flat” or “sharp”). The issue is though that he is starting to get to JLO territory where because the singers are so good, he feels he is unable to critique them and just compliments everyone.
          I’m still team left-side right now…just…

Comment by DS – April 1, 2013 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Mariah would never be as brutally honest as Nicki is on national television. You KNOW the woman really has opinions deep down inside. Trust me it’s no big secret the lady is known around the music industry for being a snappy diva. I was told by a friend she once wouldn’t walk down a certain hallway due to the fluorescent lighting. Like…the woman is cray…but wants her image to be squeeky clean and happy go lucky for the cameras. I think her weird, covered in sugar feedback is part of the mask she’s wearing. Sorry any Mariah fans if this offends you! Lol I’m scared to make comments on here now cause I don’t want to be attacked.

Comment by Carla – April 1, 2013 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Well, that description of her doesn’t mesh with how she willingly presented herself in the movie “Precious”. She was almost unrecognizable with an unwaxed upper lip, no makeup, and a plain Jane dowdy wardrobe. Mariah may not get to the point very quickly, and she may cushion her critiques in layers of cotton padding, but she seems like a nice person who is being somewhat maligned by Idol fans for the crime of too-positive feedback. Oh well.

Comment by deedee – April 1, 2013 03:45 PM PDT
          • She probably is a diva yes but I think she genuinely cares about these contestants, we all have different sides of our personality :) it’s very telling in Devins interviews that she stayed around and chatted with him (along with Randy and Keith) but Nikki left straught away

Comment by Ramification – April 1, 2013 10:59 PM PDT
          • @Ramification, probably because Devin acted like a whiny twat on Twitter and Nicki called him out on it.

Comment by Mel – April 2, 2013 03:02 AM PDT
          • Mel that happened the next day , not right after the show no ?

Comment by Rami – April 2, 2013 03:49 AM PDT
          • Lol all of the crazy stuff you think sounds terrible is why I love Mariah. She’s so beautifully alien to the lives of us normals. The Obsessed video anyone?

Comment by TB – April 3, 2013 12:25 PM PDT
        • I’m okay with her shrouding her advice in positive feedback. Where she struggles is thinking and talking off-the-cuff. She starts with one thought, doesn’t finish it, then moves to something else. She was never paid all those millions of dollars for her public speaking skills, yet that is what Idol is paying her to do. It’s where Steven Tyler and JLo struggled. How do you make a salient point in 20 seconds or less?

Comment by Name That Tune – April 1, 2013 05:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She’s making me miss the days of Steven Tyler. he said the same thing over and over to but at least he was succinct about it!!! She has this weird mix of being full of her self but being unconfident about it!

Comment by JASon – April 1, 2013 06:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Not only that, her comments are boring and hard to follow. I usually mute her when her turn comes up. Steven did say the same thing every time, but sometimes he came up with some hilarious zingers so I always listened to what he had to say.

Comment by Jim – April 2, 2013 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amber does not have the most real world sales potential. Has anyone seen what Jessica Sanchez is selling?….yeah that. Janelle has a shot because she is country and Angie has the most current look and sound when she’s allowed to do what she wants. Kree and Candice are talented vocalists but as Slezak said, easy listening.

Comment by QueenJ – April 1, 2013 07:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Is Jessica’s album even out yet ?

Comment by Rami – April 1, 2013 07:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Her single is out, but I think that’s it.

Comment by Dan – April 1, 2013 07:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I don’t think it is selling well at all. Maybe when she is on Glee it will get some life back into it. Her fans are still really nasty and are constantly downing Phillip and making fun of him because he won and she didn’t. They constantly talk about Is Filipino pride forgetting that she is born and raised in the United States and is also half Mexican by descent. It turns a lot of people off.

Comment by MB – April 1, 2013 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • And Phillip fans are coming onto Jessica-related news stories and message boards and whining about the lack of Phillip. That’s just as off-putting.

Comment by Trouty Mouth – April 1, 2013 06:54 PM PDT
          • It’s crazy, those Jessica fans. They made her trend in Twitter, about her first single, but they don’t go out and buy it? I think they all just illegally downloaded her first song.

I really don’t get the Filipino pride thing. (And I’m Filipino). It’s not like she was an athlete who represented her country. She joined a singing competition. She joined AMERICAN Idol. Get a grip. She’s only proud of her Filipino roots after she found out she was gonna be popular here.

Comment by LOLOL – April 1, 2013 10:55 PM PDT
    • Angie’s sound is only current for the Christian market. Janelle, Kree, Candice all have more mainstream potential, in my opinion.

Comment by Anna – April 1, 2013 09:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Of course, you can say somebody ” is only” current for jazz or R&B or rock rap or hip hop or whatever. They all sell records. The executives in the music business don’t care as long as it’s profitable. And I am guessing that is where Angie wants to be anyway.

Comment by Name That Tune – April 1, 2013 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree about Amber having NO sales potential. I hardly remember that she is a contestant most of the time and have never listened to a full performance of hers because she is just Boring! I don’t get the Amber love at all – she needs to step it up and do something interesting or she will be the first girl gone.

Comment by kb23 – April 1, 2013 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How is Angie the most current??

Comment by deedee – April 1, 2013 03:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great Idology. I am concerned about Angie. She is my favorite but I feel she is on a downward cycle. I think she peaked too early. I am hoping she has a comeback like Phillip did last year. As far as the rest of the girls I can’t seem to warm up to them. Candace is great but I can’t seem to get on her train, same with Amber. Kree was one of my favorites but her performances are starting to blend together. Janelle is beginning to interest me with her creativity. Lazaro needs to go NOW. Burnell sounds the same every week.

Comment by MB – April 1, 2013 07:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I kinda feel like Angie peaked early too. And she doesn’t know how to modify the genres to fit her style – like say, Mr. David Cook. I guess that takes time to learn how to do – but I think she is running out…

Comment by Teeny Bikini – April 1, 2013 07:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes, PLEASE do a review for The Voice (as others have said already). That show is overall much better than Idol, in my opinion.
    I wish the Idol “judges” and Jimmy Iovine would watch The Voice coaches, and learn from them how the job should be done. The only Idol “judge” I don’t put on mute is Keith.

Comment by Mia – April 1, 2013 07:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL. I do love Keith. It think this is one of the reasons why this is best panel since Simon left (minus Mariah, of course. I can’t really deal with her babbling anymore…)

Comment by Teeny Bikini – April 1, 2013 07:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Do you mind if I spam the voice blog with comments about idol. So annoying!!

Comment by chitta – April 1, 2013 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ugh, please no. The Voice judges are obnoxious and self-centered and intolerable. They sit there all smug and all, “I will rip everyone’s face off to have you on my team because you are an international superdupermegastar!!1!!” … and meanwhile, nobody’s ever heard a peep out of any of their “proteges” or winners. Please.

Comment by deedee – April 1, 2013 04:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • * After I heard Lazaro call Randy “boo,” I was done with any empathy that I had. That kind of arrogance and misguided self-importance is not acceptable. Just j’no. Next.

* Melinda thank you for nailing the energy level thing with Kree and Amber. They don’t realize that the ease with which they reach those notes so beautifully is starting to register as low energy and sleepy and just not exciting. That must stop Ms. Kree. You must be in the final. Step it up, NOW!

* The clip of Devin made me sad. He deserved another week.

* Angie just needs to sit at that the durn piano and sing. All of this other stuff is just not registering and I don’t care about her being sexy. It’s just weird. She needs to stay in her pocket where she shines.

* Janelle’s performance still gives me chills. What a turnaround. I could not stand her at all until last week. She seems to be peaking at the right time as well. Brilliant strategy. I wonder if it’s on purpose (but I guess it doesn’t matter…)

Michael and Melinda -best reviewers ever. You rock!

Comment by Teeny Bikini – April 1, 2013 07:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with all of this except I never had any sympathy for Lazaro. Bye-bye, Lazaro.
      Another great idology, Mr. Slezak and Melinda!
      I must be one of the Odd Men Out but I actually enjoy Mariah Carey on this show.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – April 1, 2013 08:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Do ya? I really want to like Mariah, I promise I have tried. But there is something “off” for me… ;)

Comment by Teeny Bikini – April 1, 2013 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • hey, I didn’t say I could explain it. Perhaps it’s because Steven Tyler and Jennifer Lopez got so darned exasperating last season. She at least says something of substance most of the time.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – April 1, 2013 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • DET, you are not alone. When the season first began, I wasn’t impressed with Mariah (although that may have had more to do with the editing), but she is providing some critiques with substance on a fairly consistent basis of late. You may have to sift through a lot of chaff, to get to it, but it’s there.
            Nikki, on the other hand, (for me — I know many still like her comments) has gone from maybe providing some good feedback to rude. And that gawd awful nasalized voice of hers is more unpleasant than nails on chalkboard.

Comment by My Alter Ego – April 1, 2013 05:35 PM PDT
          • I feel the same way about Nicki. I went from detesting her, to loving her, to being really annoyed with her and her pompous attitude. Sometimes she is just sitting there with this angry face on. She is as rude as they come and even though she sometimes gives good feedback, all the other stuff attached to it is just not worth it. The bad just out ways the good far too much.

Comment by MB – April 1, 2013 05:44 PM PDT
          • @MB — yup!

Comment by My Alter Ego – April 1, 2013 06:42 PM PDT
          • I didn’t find JLO all that bad. She did talk a lot, but that didn’t really annoy me. I thought she was fairly intelligent, actually. I don’t mind Mariah either, but she does need to stick to one point at a time. She’s a nice person who has plenty of wisdom to draw from – if only she’d not be so afraid to express her criticisms with confidence.

Comment by deedee – April 2, 2013 07:13 AM PDT
          • The other judges are too nice, or when they criticize are too vague about it. Nikki goes straight to the heart of it, brutally honest. These kids need to hear the brutal truth now, because the entertainment industry is a brutal industry.

Comment by Jim – April 2, 2013 02:13 PM PDT
      • I’m kind of on the fence about Mariah. Yes, she sometimes does have some worthwhile advice for a contestant about his or her technique – and I’m SURE she DOES know her stuff from a technical end – but she takes SOOOOO long to get there…
        I guess I prefer her to JLo and even Steven, and I think that compared to those two she is a flat-out font of musical knowledge and advice, but she’s probably my least favorite judge on this year’s panel.

Comment by marie – April 2, 2013 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I could see Angie being successful in the singer/songwriter or Christian music genre but I could also see her doing Broadway. I know “Broadway” is seen as almost a curse word on AI but it is a legitimate genre.

And everyone (justifiably) talks about the super high heels hindering their stage performance but what is the excuse for the boys who just stand in front of a mic every week and have no stage presence?

Comment by The Beach – April 1, 2013 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The judges chose those guys intentionally.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – April 1, 2013 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Paul had stage presence and was criticized for his “dramatics”. So there you go.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – April 1, 2013 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • LOL. The boys have no excuse. I really was stunned by the lack of stage presence and the stoic, rigid stances of the boys this year. It really made miss Adam Lambert or anyone who moves, for that matter. At least Burnell moves his arms a lot ;) Does that count?

Comment by Teeny Bikini – April 1, 2013 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Well, as Darcy’s Evil Twin (my dear DET) stated above, Paul did have that stage presence (and a darned good voice as well) and was consistently criticized for being too “theatrical.” The poor guy didn’t stand a chance.

Comment by My Alter Ego – April 1, 2013 07:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No. Ms. Miller didn’t “get it.” or…perhaps was just trying to “remain sunny” about it all.
    But it was one of the worst things I’ve ever heard on Idol. ..to steal from Nicki..”Just get off the stage!!”

Ok, about that Angie mess…(haters be “danged”) gotta say it..
    this is the way it’s done.

… those 17 y.o. nerves might of shown just a bit..but who cared, the rythm n’ blues groove was right on and there was no denying that last killer note.

Comment by Amy – April 1, 2013 07:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I actually really liked David’s version of that song. This was the first week of the semifinals and he did awesome.

Comment by Trouty Mouth – April 1, 2013 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I loved it too…he was awesome.
        Only even mentioned the nerves to offset anyone possibly “nitpicking” it…just to say, that nonwithstanding…he nailed the essence of that r&b song and vocals. Yes, was first week of semi-finals, and he made quite the first impression with that.

Comment by Amy – April 1, 2013 10:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Agreed. I think people forget about it because “Imagine” was his big moment, but he was soulful, he sang it really well, good stage presence, and he did well with the tempo of the song too (even though everyone criticised David in his season for singing ballads).

Comment by Trouty Mouth – April 2, 2013 03:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • oops-”not”withstanding!

Comment by Amy – April 2, 2013 05:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think we all agree that one of the girls should be winning this season. But if they don’t step up with stage presence and personality/energy, winning American Idol will mean nothing very quickly. I hate to say this, but it’s much harder for a female performer to sell tickets to their concert unless they have a “Big” personality or some other unique quality that draws people in. The average concert goers, with the exception of rap or rock fans, are younger females who typically prefer to spend their money watching 1D and JB. Although country fans may be more forgiving, these two fantastic country singers this season need to loosen up and move on that stage. Have they not watched Skylar showing how country music should be performed? This season’s female winner could very quicky join the winner of the first U.S. X-Factor with the big voice but drab stage presence (what’s her name again?) up in reality competition heaven! These girls need to be sat down like a football team and watch videos of previous AI women who know how to perform!

Comment by Luann C. – April 1, 2013 08:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WGWG for the win. Janelle really made an impressive leap with that performance. My hunch is that the white GIRL with guitar takes it.

Comment by JW – April 1, 2013 08:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m down with that. Our of the five women, I think she has the biggest chance of winning right now, while Amber has the smallest chance (past weeks show that her fan base isn’t as big as the others). Kree could easily snatch it from her, though, so she better watch her back.
      Angie’s popularity is waning because her she’s being too rigid, but her fan base is still pretty big, so we’ll see. I agree, she needs to get back what she had early on.
      Candice may be the best singer, but I don’t see America voting someone who looks like her to victory (which is stupid but our society is judgmental).
      The two boys, on the other hand, look very tasty to the elimination bear right now. Based on the size of fan bases, I say Burnell is in the most danger right now.

Comment by LeahKittyS – April 1, 2013 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I turned on the captions for the video for a minute because I needed to turn the volume down. Does an actual person caption these videos or is it just voice recognition? At the end, when Michael started a sentence with “the vocal on,” the caption read, “the bulls won.” HA!

Comment by madgem – April 1, 2013 08:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL! I’ve never used those captions before, but now I know :)

Comment by LeahKittyS – April 1, 2013 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Melinda thank you for reminding us that Candice gave us the best vocal of the night. I have come to love that version of Grapevine and I don’t want to hear it any other way. She showed that she can sing anything. And we’re going into Rock week and sister can rock the house. I think her only real competition will be Kree.
    I’m trying to figure out how Angie is gonna rock the house sitting at the piano ‘cuz this is not in her wheelhouse. And will we see a new side of Burnell and Amber?

Comment by Name That Tune – April 1, 2013 08:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How can Angie rock it at the piano? See: Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard, Dr. John, Bruce Hornsby, or even Billy Joel, it can be done. I could also see her doing something from The Band, Little Feat, or even Chuck Berry at the piano.

Comment by Tahoe Mike – April 1, 2013 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ii knowI but the judges have sentenced her to stay right there. Last week was the second time they told her to get back to the piano. Unless she goes Elton John on Friday us, she’s going to have a hard time. I don’t think even a Billy Joel song is going to cut it.

Comment by Name That Tune – April 1, 2013 03:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Angie isn’t at the level of those people though.

Comment by Trouty Mouth – April 1, 2013 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Kree— incredible performance. Absolutely lover her tone.

I don’t know what Melinda was referring to… Kree’s performances are chalked full of emotion. Think she is letting her Candice-colored glasses color her commentary. Two different genres…country vs. R&B. Both are wonderful at their respective genres.

Kree for the win although I love Candice too.

Comment by Katie – April 1, 2013 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If you’re keeping track of the numbers, people are having a problem connecting with Kree. Since we’ve hit the live rounds, she has the lowest number of views on YouTube. She is outpaced by Angie, Candice, Burnell, and Amber (who is finally getting some attention on YouTube). And that reflects how I feel about her performances. I hear how good she is, but I am not all that interested in watching them again. Both Michael and Melinda are right in spotting this. She’s headed towards a 5th place finish if she can’t pick it up.

Comment by Name That Tune – April 1, 2013 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • People can’t connect with Kree? Uh oh. That’s a surprise, I find her one of the more relatable ones. How did YouTube views do predicting the outcomes last season?

Comment by LeahKittyS – April 1, 2013 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I know that is a surprise but she’s not getting the hits on YouTube. So when M&M are discussing song choices and a “lack of energy” they’re not wrong. We have 5 girls who are very close in technical abilities. It’s the small things like song choices and energy that are going to be the deciding factor.

Comment by Name That Tune – April 1, 2013 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Slezak is a bit of a hypocrite–lambasted Burnell for adding “M” to the lines, while his pet, the bellowing Allison Ireheta couldn’t say a vowel without adding and “H.” And he attacks his hand motions while whatshername, the rough looking one from last season, poked the air all last season and he thought she was all that.
    Melinda is perfection. She’s still the standard; we say, “she’s good, but no Melinda,” or “Almost Melinda quality.”

Comment by perfesser – April 1, 2013 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t Melinda sing songs that were not all that youthful on her season? Love you Melinda but my guess is that is why you left in position 3, so what’s with the Amber comment on old songs?

Also…I’m betting Smokey was back on Season 8, when there were great singers interpreting Motown…like Kris Allen, etc.

Comment by GinnyB – April 1, 2013 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No. It came down to appearancces. I remember the Internet was lit up with comments about No-Neck Doolittle. If we are going for a repeat of Season 6, then Amber or Angie will win. But I have been okay with a 3rd place finish for Candice since the season started. She will hit her stride post Idol. She reminds me of Jennifer Hudson. She is such a powerful singer she will do well no matter what.

Comment by Name That Tune – April 1, 2013 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Perhaps. It might also have something to do with Melinda knowing what diminished her own chances.
        No-neck Doolittle?? How unkind. But not surprising in a society that continues to view itself as egalitarian/meritorious and, yet, comes no where close to either.

Comment by My Alter Ego – April 1, 2013 07:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Slezak hinted at it, but the girls need to take a note from Fantasia, who advised former contestants to get ugly. Kree, candice and amber take note! Let your hair get messy, smile more, flirt with the band, let loose!

Comment by NJ idoloonie – April 1, 2013 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think the rock no ballad theme will help with this , here’s hoping

Comment by Ramification – April 1, 2013 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just don’t understand why people are continuing to vote for Lazaro. He is a weak singer, he makes excuses about everything — nothing is ever his fault. And now he’s becoming a bit cocky. I think the fact that he hasn’t been kicked off yet despite several poor performances has gone to his head and given him a sense of entitlement NONE of these contestants should have — let alone the worst one in the whole bunch.

Comment by Anna – April 1, 2013 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. He’s got to go. It’s top 7 week, aka the week Sanjaya and Tim Urban were sent home in their seasons, so I’m hoping that this week’s the week we give Lazaro the flick.

Comment by Trouty Mouth – April 2, 2013 03:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The 7th week is also the week that Jennifer Hudson and Colton Dixon were sent home, so anything could happen. I do hope Thursday is the last we see of Lazaro though.

Comment by Jim – April 2, 2013 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope the girls stop wearing such high heels…while they may be nice to look at, I really think it’s affecting their performances! How can you fully get into the performance when you can’t even move properly? Carly Smithson talked about this when she was an Idology guest back in season 10. One of her points of advice was to ditch the stilettos.

Comment by sdexta – April 1, 2013 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • At this point Candice and Kree deserve to be in the final – they’re the only two who are consistently great every week and seem to be on a different show. Real women with grown-up talent.
    Angie is the emperor’s new clothes, seems to be missing some life experience.
    Amber seems to be in it a year too soon – arguably the best voice/tone, but skipping on versatility.
    Janette had a great week, first time I’ve been drawn to her since Hollywood Week, and I wouldn’t mind her as #3 if she keeps it up. I could also accept Amber as #3 if she finally rocks out this week.
    I’m picking Candice for the win, but a Candice/Kree 3-song showdown would be a win for the viewers.

Comment by Markopolis – April 1, 2013 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Markopolis, great assessment! Candice and Kree came in with a bar so high for themselves that I’ve been worried for them that they wouldn’t be able to keep it up. But so far, so good! It is a delight to hear two women with such wonderful voices and, as you said, “grown up talent.”
      Your “emperor’s new clothes” reference in regards to Angie is perfect! That expresses the disconnect I’ve had since the beginning. Thank you!
      I love Amber — love her tone and how she can sing really difficult stuff flawlessly and effortlessly. Coming from a music background, that’s supposed to be a good thing. She probably doesn’t connect with the lyrics quite as much as many seem to need, and waiting another year would probably have been a good thing for her. I’m worried for her this week, because I suspect rock isn’t “her thing.” But like Mr. Slezak, I think Amber is the one with the most potential of commercial viability, although I’m not sure that’s good for the AI winner.
      So that leaves us with Janelle, who, if she keeps up what’s she done the past couple of weeks, will likely see that confetti shower in May. Which means the “WGWG” will win again, even if the first “G” now has a different chromosome. Not sure how I feel about that.

Comment by My Alter Ego – April 1, 2013 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Unsurprisingly, (to me) Amber has the highest number of views for this weeks performance, more than any other contestant, on Youtube for “Lately.” No other contestant comes close. Some, very vocal, internet fans of the show have been insisting that she is not a contender for over a month now, and have been wrong for over a month now.

I personally don’t see anyone on the show, other than Janelle, “connecting” with the lyrics.

Comment by lemon – April 1, 2013 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • This is good news, lemon. Thanks.

Comment by My Alter Ego – April 2, 2013 04:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Slezak has a busy enough schedule as it is. No need for a po-dunk show like “The Voice” which will off the air in a year or two to have its own video segment.

Comment by Vice – April 1, 2013 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes, Slezak!! Kree really needs another EH-VU-DENCE type of performance. I’m getting a bit bored by her performances, seriously. She needs to go back to what she showed us in the previous rounds.

Comment by Mafs95 – April 1, 2013 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The top 7 has a history of some surprising eliminations. But since the save is still waiting to be used, it’s likely that most of the remaining girls would get saved if a save was needed.

Pre-performance polls indicate that Lazaro, Burnell and Janelle are all within the bottom 3 range – but performance and entertainment appeal could make a difference, even if they don’t have perfect pitch or sing every word spot-on.

Comment by Guitar Blue – April 1, 2013 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Candice was perfection, as she has been…I haven’t heard a “glitch” all season…every performance of hers has been professional status, to my ears. I close my eyes and hear a clean cd cut. About her “energy” level this week…was it Melinda who commented?….I don’t agree….I felt her energy was fine and intentional. To me it was appropriately lilting for the swag & sway of the song. That’s how I heard and saw it. I loved it.

I LOVED Janelle this week. Ab-so-lute-ly perfection. That it was her own arrangement (from 14 y.o.? really?!)…was a beautiful arrangement…and those high yodely runs..country as it gets. Keith articulated perfectly what I was feeling….”she brought out the angst in the lyrics I hadn’t heard before in that song.” She made the song better than the Supremes version for me. I never loved the song…Janelle gave it a new spin for me. And…doesn’t hurt that she’s sweet, uncensored, seems authentically nice and home-spun…that’s how America likes their “country chicks.”

Still love Kree too. Have no problem with her.

Laz…not worth the energy…it’s all been said. Something’s amiss…and it will play out as it will no matter how we kvetch. But, this from Melinda I’d agreed with on other threads: he did start to get an attitude, (maybe false bravado to overcome last week’s tears); enough of the retro lounge-Elvis poses (I never understood that choice in 2013?!); and “didn’t know the lyrics” is NEVER a “reason” for an idol contestant…much less week after week.

Comment by Amy – April 1, 2013 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope Burnell was watching and took note about the M thing. And I agree, Kree has gotten kinda boring. Really good, but boring. Get rid of the shoes and add in some emotion and energy.

Comment by dj – April 1, 2013 03:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Funny about the shoes. (Funny peculiar.) I think the entire audience is fixated on them; I know I am. Those are some awful shoes: Fire the stylist, who I am sure is the one that thinks club feet are an in style.

Comment by Yo – April 1, 2013 04:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t they all watch? Or can they not handle the truth?

Comment by deedee – April 1, 2013 05:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d love to pop a bottle of wine and settle in to watch an episode of Idol with Michael and Melinda. Looking forward to the recap after classic rock – no ballad week.

Comment by CK – April 1, 2013 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Edited to add: I’ll take a raincheck on any chance to hang out with M & M if Lazaro makes it through another week…my very old cat Bob may not be able to handle the fallout.

Comment by CK – April 1, 2013 05:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • LOL! Is your very old cat Bob usually on your lap as you watch AI and the brilliant Idology recaps by Michael and Melinda? Or is Bob in danger, simply because he’s in the vicinity? (I’m a cat lover; methinks Bob doesn’t deserve this.)

Comment by My Alter Ego – April 1, 2013 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Bob is open to an Idology interview to answer these and other questions. However, he’d insist on a proper grooming and nail trim before any such interview. He’d also object to high heel shoes as this inhibits his ability to properly work the stage.

Comment by CK – April 2, 2013 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe I’m just so bored out of my skull with all the ballads but I actually didn’t think Angie was that bad. MAybe it’s because she looked so hot but she didn’t seem that much worse than anyone else!(Except Jannelle who was great)!

Comment by JASon – April 1, 2013 06:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • JAS…she was THAT bad. It’s ok. It was the dress. You can get one pass on that.
      But for me…it should be stricken from the Idol archives & YouTube.
      (and I started out an Angie fan this season. She lost footing after her original song for me, in both her choices and style…and I’m not saying overall I’m judging her on SA…just that I never, ever…ever.. want to hear it again.) That said…she could still win…I think she has a following.

Comment by Amy – April 1, 2013 11:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It wasn’t THAT bad. It was her worst and it wasn’t good, but come on, there have been sooo many total disaster and so much has been worse. Already this season alone, even in the top ten alone, we’ve seen so much worse. So while maybe the dress adds a few points for some, I think it also takes away a few points from those from the other side.

Comment by HitTheGroundRunning – April 2, 2013 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I just listened to the studio’s for top 8. To tell you the truth I did not like any of them. I know everyone is saying how great the girls are this year but last year the girls were better and without a doubt the guys were tons better. There is not one person this year that I would support and buy their music. I have not voted since the top 20 and I power voted for Phillip last year and Haley the season before. I am just so disappointed in the talent, the judges except for Keith and the whole manipulation with TPTB thing. Idol has always been my favorite show but I just can’t say that anymore.

Comment by MB – April 2, 2013 04:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Yeah, I had never actually voted, ever, until Haley and then last year Elise eventually suckered me into voting again too hah. This season nobody has quite had a enough pull on me, especially since with the stupid voting system you feel like it is pointless unless you are willing to spend the time voting 200 times. On The Voice I am more prone to vote no matter what since the process is so much easier.

Comment by HitTheGroundRunning – April 2, 2013 06:14 PM PDT
    • I feel the same way Jason but I am an Angie fan . So, I guess everyone will think I am bias. But to me, her worst performances were ‘I surrender’ and ‘I was here’. I actually really love her this week. She looked way more current. Everyone is saying she should go back to the piano. I personally think not yet. Even when Nikki is saying they did not ask for new side. This is the platform to keep growing and discover who you are. If you kept on doing the same thing each week, people will be bored. Going uptempo a week before she had to go uptempo will bring experience IMO.

Comment by Nephtalia – April 2, 2013 12:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Your bias against Mariah is really apparent in this; you edited it to make it seem like Mariah praised Angie. She didn’t. She told her she wished she had sat at the piano and done “I’ll Be There.” That is literally the same thing Nicki said (which you praise), just said in a more respectful manner.

Comment by Matt – April 1, 2013 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There are several levels of success in the music business. Level 1. is the main, nationally popular act. Level 2. is the opener, with some moderate success and name recognition.,

. Level 3. is not a national sensation, or is waning from higher recognition – but making a fair living in the biz.

Level 4. is someone who can make a living on regional tours and moderate sales of personal albums on the internet and at their gigs. We have a number of them that come through the area, but use smaller venues without the overhead of a larger facility.

Level 5. is a person or group that enjoys the performing, but needs to have a husband or wife that earns money, or financially well-off parents, as well as doing part-time work in another area.

Then some simply have to get a full-time job somewhere and sing on weekends. Where are these 7 headed?

Comment by Guitar Blue – April 1, 2013 11:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The drop in ratings season to season is not the alarming part. Its the 1/3 to 1/2 drop in ratings since the season started, especially in the 18-49 “demo”. I think there are several reasons.

Blatant selection of inferior male singers to get a female winner. There were plenty of good male singers in Hollywood (Gabe Brown, Marvin Calderon, Bryant Tadeo, David Willis). It insults the audience’s intelligence to water down the male talent to the degree the producers have in their quest for a female winner. If there is a sufficiently talented female, I think she can win.

Too much focus on drama instead of singing — the bad auditions and drawn out Hollywood weeks are not working anymore. Contestants should get two full minutes per song instead of 90 seconds.

Less audience participation in the voting. By the producers narrowing the field down to 20 (again, to prevent talented males from getting in), the audience has less of a reason to participate. Bring back the way it was done is Season 1 — 30 semifinalists, 10 for 3 weeks, top 3 make the top 10, then have a Wild Card week.

The sob story contestants turn off more viewers than they attract. Stop “pimping” people like Lazaro Arbos, and don’t advance them to the voting rounds. Lazaro is not entertaining the way Sanjaya was.

Update the themes from the beginning of the Top 10/11/12. Former Idol winners’ songs was an awful theme. Motown may have worked well in 2002, and Beatles a few years later, but many Motown and Beatles fans are, sad to say, dying off, and others are aging. Viewers in the 18-49 “demo” don’t want those themes. If American Idol becomes the 21st Century Lawrence Welk Show, cancellation is near.

Spend money to make money. Nine of the eleven songs performed last week have been performed during previous seasons. Five of them were performed in Season 1. The show has made hundreds of millions of dollars. Spend money for rights for songs never performed on the show — example: the other night on the voice, a dup performed a Tom Petty song.

On last week’s festivities: Candice did fine. Its good that Amber will not be able to sing a ballad this week (see Toscano, Pia). As someone on board since Season 1, Kree’s song wasn’t nearly as good as Kelly Clarkson’s version in Season 1. She needs to sing something that packs a real punch.

Janelle has excelled the last two weeks.

Angie may not be the pro everybody thought she was — when you bop around the stage, your breathing can go haywire, resulting in bum notes. Does Angie know that?

Burnell is doomed.

Who knows how far Lazaro will go with a billion sympathy votes, even though he doesn’t deserve them.

Comment by houster – April 1, 2013 11:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL, how old are you, houster? (That’s a rhetorical question,btw.) I agree completely that new themes are called for, but I assure you that to say in 2013 that “many” Beatles and Motown fans are “dying off” is just a tad premature. The Baby Boom generation, which one could reasonably argue comprises much of the fanbases of both, is huge, and the youngest Boomers turn 49 this year: not particularly grave-bait just yet. I grew up with the Beatles and Motown. Theirs is some of the most significant music of my youth, and I’m 61: not exactly young, no, but I trust I’m still pretty far from “dying off.”
      And I suspect Idol has as many over-49 viewers at this point as it does 18-49.
      SO: This decrepit, dedicated Idol fan would dearly love to hear more contemporary music on the show, both because I love hearing new stuff and because I think the contestants could probably relate better to newer material, but please don’t get out the shroud and shovel just yet, thank you kindly!

Comment by marie – April 2, 2013 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • here, here, marie! I’m 55. Still on this side of the grass! I agree – I would love to hear some more recent popular music!

Comment by darcy's evil twin – April 2, 2013 09:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One addition: Less focus on the Judges. Four is too many. I love Nicki Minaj, but it appears a lot of the home audience does not. A judging panel next season of Keith Urban, Randy Jackson, and Melinda Doolittle would be a huge improvement.

Comment by houster – April 1, 2013 11:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Keep Nicki, ditch Randy.

Comment by Trouty Mouth – April 2, 2013 03:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Keep Nikki and Keith, ditch Randy and Mariah. Add Melinda – or some other former good former contestant – they know what it is like and what the current contestants need to hear.

Comment by Jim – April 2, 2013 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How does Melinda Freakin’ Doolittle even know people who have never watched Idol?

Comment by Scott – April 2, 2013 06:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know, right?

Comment by darcy the slutty twin – April 2, 2013 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Haha that’s what I was thinking :)

Comment by Ramification – April 2, 2013 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh I would love to ditch Randy for Melinda!
    And I know you all are gonna hate me for this, but I do think that trying to judge Lazaro’s attitude from brief moments on stage when the dude can’t really talk, is kinda harsh. It’s painful when he tries to answer Ryan’s questions legitimately. I’d probably communicate with thumbs up and thumbs down in his place. I just think they’re reading too much in. Particularly when Nikki had said not to listen to basically anyone but her.

Comment by Robin – April 2, 2013 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t hate you; I’m actually glad to see someone stick up for Lazaro. Is he the weakest singer in the bunch? Yes. Are Paul and Devin technically better singers? I say so. But considering I literally prayed for him to get into the Top 10, I can’t bring myself to turn completely against him. I was a little bummed to lose Devin now, but I won’t be truly upset with Laz unless he takes out a higher-ranked girl (but the odds of that are very slim).

Comment by LeahKittyS – April 2, 2013 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please don’t rip on Burnell. He is paving the way for his ultimate guest-staring gig on ABC Family’s “Switched At Birth” i’m sure of it. It is the only explanation.

The good thing about Burnell though is I finally have hope that Marlee Matlin could be a guest mentor.

Comment by Steve Z – April 2, 2013 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually, if that joke is appropriate for anyone in this year’s finals, it’s Lazaro. Have you seen the way he moves his hands when he talks? I think he knows some sign language. They probably taught him some when he was little to compensate for the stutter.

Comment by LeahKittyS – April 2, 2013 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lazaro’s problem is that he’s a victim. He also comes across as about 8 in his temperement and behaviour. Lazaro, you are a grown man, grow up and drop the victim mentality! Let’s all remember he was capable enough to apply for one of – possibly THE – top singing competitions in America – not very shy then, was he? But now, to get votes – IMO – he puts on the ‘little boy act’. The fella can’t sing, get him off there, it’s shameful!!! I was amazed he even got past the first audition. And be honest, if he hadn’t got the speach impediment, would have have done?

Comment by Julie – April 3, 2013 12:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A person’s Are generally Weight loss is definitely a practical and flexible an eating plan method manufactured for those who suffer that want to weight loss and therefore ultimately conserve a much more culture. weight loss

Comment by säkerhetsdörrar stockholm – April 4, 2013 06:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Should the Idol competitors be taking advice from someone who said Alison Irihita and Haley Reinhart would be superstars? I don’t think so. Run Angie Miller, run!!!!

Comment by Penny Tration – April 5, 2013 06:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • HR’s release album was one of the best reviewed Idol family produced albums and she is the only contestant to have done Lollapalooza or Carnegie Hall (the latter after a very well respected jazz artist was blown away by her performance with him when she came up to perform in a club). Don’t forget some the big name singers who also tweeted her some major praise.

Comment by HitTheGroundRunning – April 5, 2013 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lots of folks were trying to support Lazaro on Idol mainly because of how he overcame his disability and turned it into inspiration. It was his grandiose attitude that drove many of them away. I’am glad he is gone, it was painful watching him trying to keep up.

Comment by Tere – April 24, 2013 09:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hey, great blog you have here, think I came across it on Google but im not sure nowanyway, Ill check back again! Are guests allowed to post here?

Comment by Sephora Code Free Shipping – June 29, 2013 04:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post