Castle Episode 100 Delivers Easter Eggs for Fans and a Lot of 'Caskett' Fun

Get More: Previews

Castle Episode 100 PreviewThat the 100th episode of ABC’s Castle is airing when it is seems fitting, given the “Easter eggs,” medium and small, that observant viewers might spy during the milestone hour.

“There are a lot of references and callbacks for the hardcore Castle fans,” shares series creator Andrew W. Marlowe. “We’ve peppered it with little pings from earlier episodes.” (At least one of the special nods, we can report, will necessitate hitting the “pause” button.)

PHOTOS | Castle Episode 100 Preview: Rear Window-Inspired Episode

Per Marlowe, another priority in marking the milestone was — amid a run of “big episodes” (including the two-part kidnapping arc) — “to do something that really focused on our central cast, to give each of them a chance to shine. And we’re really, really happy with what we did.”

As well reported, Episode 100 finds Castle a couple weeks into recovering from a broken kneecap — and getting a bit stir-crazy. But when he begins to while away his isolation by training his binoculars on an apartment in the building next door and witnessing what appears to be a murder, friends and family are left to fret that he’s gone plain crazy. Or at least is having his perception compromised by meds.

“He’s on pain pills, so I think we know what Kate Beckett thinks about what Castle is seeing,” Marlowe says. “What are the odds you’re at home with a broken kneecap and you’re looking across the way and you see a Rear Window scenario play out? She’s pretty skeptical until some things happen that make her realize that maybe Castle’s not as crazy as she thinks.”

So though Rick and Kate share several scenes where it’s just the two of them, her reluctance to subscribe to his murder theory “is a bit of a dividing factor,” says Nathan Fillion. “It’s a bit of a tough go when your friends or the people you rely on deny you your credibility. So he’s miffed.”SEAMUS DEVER, STANA KATIC, JON HUERTAS

Rick crying murder while Kate swats away every piece of perceived evidence results in “a lot of Castle/Beckett fun,” Marlowe promises. For Episode 100, “What we wanted to deliver is something that was classic Castle-and-Beckett, something that felt like it could have played in [the] first season or now. And we were really excited to have found it.”

RELATED | Save the Dates: Our Calendar of More Than 100 Season and Series Finales!

But as stated above, every member of the ensemble figures into this Rear Window homage. Though already busy working a separate murder case with Beckett, Ryan and Esposito, says Seamus Dever, spend time “running down these leads that Castle keeps sending to us,” yet to no avail. “He keeps seeing things, and we’re like, ‘No, it didn’t happen. [The neighbor] is alive, we got her on the phone.’ Stuff like that.”

As Beckett & Co. express their frustration with Castle’s flurry of false leads, “It seems like he’s on his own and helpless, until almost the end of the episode,” says Jon Huertas. “Then we finally come back and help him through what he’s going through.”

Elsewhere, Molly Quinn describes Alexis as “the nurse character” in this Rear Window scenario, including in one sequence where she helps her father with a bit of hands-on snooping — no easy feat when a fella has to stay off his feet. “I get to do some fun, little comedic bits that I’m excited about,” the actress smiles. Martha, meanwhile, “is involved in her own sort of oblique way” despite having left town during her son’s recuperation, Susan Sullivan assures.

All told, this hour of Castle is very Castle, giving the mystery novelist perhaps his greatest mystery to single-handedly solve.

“You’re going to see Nathan in his element once again, which to me is fabulous because the [February] two-parter set the bar pretty high,” says Penny Johnson Jerald, whose Captain Gates is afforded a primo opportunity to rip into the 12th precinct’s resident, over-imaginative WRITER. “I think the fans will be pleasantly surprised.”

Want more scoop on Castle, or for any other show? Email mattmtvguy@gmail.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

Comments (28)

• Aaah cant wait to watch it! Castle deserves 1000 more episodes. The whole cast is so good.

Comment by Sally – April 1, 2013 04:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait to see it! :D

Comment by Astrid – April 1, 2013 04:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay episode 100! And thank you Matt for all the castle coverage. Congrats to the cast and crew for an excellent 5 seasons. :D

Comment by leigh – April 1, 2013 05:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome! This ep is totally getting me through my Monday!

Comment by Becca – April 1, 2013 05:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cannot be anything but amazing. This show is at the top of its game at the moment and is always a must see for me. I do have a theory about this celebratory episode but am happy to see how out it plays out and of course to see if my theory is correct. Will watch on iTunes tomorrow as I’m in the UK and we are only up to episode 3 here!!!

Comment by CarlagUK – April 1, 2013 05:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think there is any possible way I could be more excited about this!! To 100 more episodes!!

Comment by Christy – April 1, 2013 05:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Getting back to Castle being Castle is a good plan. Making him into nothing more than a dofus boyfriend was really annoying.

Comment by tvwillrotyourbrain – April 1, 2013 06:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not to be a PITA. but isn’t using binoculars to spy on neighbors a crime in NYC?

Comment by lyn – April 1, 2013 08:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Really? That’s what you’re going with?

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – April 1, 2013 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • calling it now the case the detectives are working on is related to whatever rick is seeing.
    i love the rear window scenario so im really excited to see how this plays out.

Comment by Alan – April 1, 2013 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So excited. Early reviews have said it is one of the best in the series.

Comment by Lisa – April 1, 2013 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope they do a better job at a spoof of “Rear Window” than Psych did on their 100th Episode when they spoofed “Clue”. Looking forward to seeing this.

Comment by GinnyB – April 1, 2013 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Apparently Caskett fun this year means Rick & Kate barely acting like they’re a couple or awkwardly kissing at the end of the episode. Still love the show but they’ve really taken the spark out of the core relationship.

Comment by Peter – April 1, 2013 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s not true at all, they have plenty of couple moments this season/

Comment by Mike – April 1, 2013 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How would you do it? They can’t let the boss know, and it’s still a cop show with crime.

Comment by David4 – April 1, 2013 09:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loving how they handled Caskett this year, been great.

Comment by Sam – April 1, 2013 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • oh gosh I can’t wait!!

Comment by Mari – April 1, 2013 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looking forward to tonight’s episode,congrats to the cast and crew 100 episode that’s no small feat it’s really awesome I’ve been along for the ride and have enjoyed each and every episode for 5 yrs with a great cast that Castle has it could go for 5 more again congrats!!!

Comment by Bren – April 1, 2013 04:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just finished watching the episode, and I didn’t notice any easter eggs. I mustn’t be a very good fan. :-( ;-)

Comment by TV Gord – April 1, 2013 04:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I point out a few in the recap I just wrote/will be live in three hours. But I am sure (or am hoping) there were others.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – April 1, 2013 05:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • There were, I’m sure. I got caught up in the mystery, so I stopped paying attention for them a few minutes in. I’m looking forward to your recap (and comments from others who caught them, too)!

Comment by TV Gord – April 1, 2013 05:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Which was the pause worthy easter egg?

Comment by Nicademus11 – April 2, 2013 07:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As a huge Rear Window fan, I’m pretty excited for this episode so I’ll see if I can spot any eggs while I watch. However, I’ll probably just be geeking out at how well (or not) the adapt the film. I assume it’s the film and not Woolrich’s short story…?

Comment by Rae. (@brokenbydesign_) – April 1, 2013 05:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • *they

Late night spelling fail, how I don’t miss you.

Comment by Rae. (@brokenbydesign_) – April 1, 2013 05:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • :-) Don’t be so hard on yourself. That’s a typo, not a spelling mistake. We all make ‘em. :-)

Comment by TV Gord – April 1, 2013 06:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i loved the episode but how did they know when castle was going to look at the window at the exact moment they started the acting,,, he was playing with the helicopter ,,, either way love love the show still original every weeke

Comment by TONI – April 1, 2013 08:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post