The Walking Dead: 15 Most Memorable Moments of Season 3 [Updated]

UPDATE: We’ve tweaked our lineup of The Walking Dead‘s Most Memorable Season 3 Moments to include two developments from the finale, plus one Episode 4 heartbreaker that readers demanded we add!

Yes, folks, it’s telling that two of our three add-ons all involve titular walkers finding situations (aka characters) into whom they can sink their teeth.

RELATED | TVLine Honors The Walking Dead‘s Norman Reedus (and Southland‘s Michael Cudlitz) as Its Performers of the Week

Click through the photos below — and be sure you’re not chowing down on bolognese sauce while you do so. You’ll find zombified loved ones, gouged eyeballs and one or two sweet moments to break up the unrelenting horror. When you’re done reading, hit the comments and tell us which Season 3 moments would make your highlight reel!

VIDEO | New Spoiler Alert! Previews Killer Justified and Walking Dead Season Finales

1. Dominique says:

Really? T-dog’s sacrifice to make sure Carol would be alright has been left out?
    Well then…

2. Elyse says:

Glen and Maggie :) :)

3. Amy says:

My favorite moment was when Carl & Maggie walked outside with Judith and no Laurie. That mostly silent scene was heartbreaking and so well done.

4. omabin says:

Killer Within is the mot heartbreaking episode ever. This season has been splendid, one of the best seasons of any show I have memory ever since Lost left my screen. So looking forward for the finale tomorrow.

5. Kyle says:

It’s pretty bad when Merle’s death was sadder than lori’s.

• Mike says:

I don’t consider Loris death sad at all, it was more the effect her death caused that was sad, Rick finally breaking and Carl having to prevent her from turning.

• Nancy says:

I agree. Merle’s death left me sad and heartbroken. Not just sad that Merle died but because Daryl was crushed and sadden by his brothers changing and death. That is my highlight of season 3.

6. ggny says:

lol. The Black Man always forgotten about

• Walter Lee says:

4 black men got left off the cut the to be exact and at least two of them shouldve made the cut….brother can’t even get a break in a zombie apocalypse!! lol

7. wanderlust91 says:

Finding out what Morgan has been up to. His son’s fate and his mental state. Clear was one of the best episodes of the series.

• Olivia says:

Michel Jayne (AKA The Parent Fairy) has 22 years parenting experience, with a teenager and preschooler under her wings.
      Infant formula is, in most cases, not necessary and cannot (given medical research findings) be
      considered an alternative that is in any way preferable to human milk.
      Whichever way you choose to learn you just need to apply a few
      simple principles and then you are ready to give your child a gift that lasts a lifetime.

8. andrew says:

Where is Morgan’s return? That is the most memorable part of the season to me (along with Lori’s death RIP).

9. Mike says:

Glenn and Maggie, I’m worried about them, they seem too happy…

10. ledra says:

Predictions: Glen and Maggie die along with Judith. Heshel w/ baby daughter. Daryl riding away on his motorcycle from Carol. Morgan saving Rick and son also with Ty and michonne. Gov. And his group destroyed by the zombies in the tombs. Laurie is shown as a zombie in the tombs because Carl couldn’t kill his mother. Best episodes are Clear and Merle’s Sorroowful Life.

• Mike says:

Lori was eaten whole by a zombie, that Rick killed in episode 305.

• ledra says:

If Lori was eaten whole, then where were the bones? Most of the dead had flesh and organs consumed, but if Lori was consumed whole then there would have been so type of evidence besides a small blood trail leading toward the zombie Rick found. Zombies don’t eat bones. Morgan even gave a clue when he explained to Rick how his own son cold not shot his own mother standing in front of him. Also, why was the actress not on Talking dead and she is listed in the finale on IMd’s list of cast members. Everyone who had or will dead has made an appearance on the show ( Merle, T-Dog, and Axel). The whole farm survivors had made an appearance along with Glen and Andrea. Michonne has sat on the set as well, but I doubt she will be killed off. The romance btw Glen and Maggie is a handicap and will get them killed. Hershel will dead by sacrificing himself for his family to survive. Tonite’s episode will be a tension and nail biter for me.

• Danielle says:

No? She died during pregnancy because of lose of blood. And then Carl had to shoot her to prevent her from turning.

• Nancy says:

Why are you predicting Glen, Maggie and baby Judith die? Daryl and Carol will be together is my prediction. Yes, the stupid Gov. and his whole gang will be killed.

• walkingdead fan says:

There is a clip of Daryl on his bike being chased by walkers and a train is crossing on the
        tracks. He’s stuck there on the road until the train clears. Carol is not on the bike with him. Lori I think will be in the tombs. Yes, she died from the birth, heard the gun shot., and saw the bloated zombie. Zombies don’t eat bones.

11. Labpar says:

Rick ‘s reaction to Lori’s death was heartbreaking and the most memorable moment for me. Rick going crazy in the next two episodes was another high point.

12. Azerty says:

When Rick finds Morgan and when he discovers Lori died are in my top 10 moments of the season. But this season is really great so it’s difficult to choose. IMO Daryl crying and killing Merle last week was also one of the best moment in the entire serie.

13. Nancy says:

Daryl and Carol are two of my favorites. Rick’s breakdown was one of the most memorable moments also. The whole season was wonderful and an edge of your seat 3rd season.

• It may be rough initially, but curbing excessive milk intake is the healthiest intervention you can provide for your
      child. Babies sleep more soundly after being fed formula for the same reason that adults
      become sleepy after over-indulging on rich, carbohydrate-filled foods.
      Whichever way you choose to learn you just need to apply a few simple principles and then you are ready to give your
      child a gift that lasts a lifetime.

14. Michonne walking up to the prison with the formula!

15. melissa tinsley says:

I love Daryl

16. Olive says:

Rick’s hallucinations of Lori is one of the worst moments this season.

17. bill says:

I think all of season (3) was great. I didn’t like them killing off Andrea though. But glad to see the others at the prison made it.

18. Cassidy says:

The Woodbury Massacre by their own “governor” didn’t make the list? That left my jaw open.

19. Best moment of the season for me was Daryl crying upon seeing Zombie Merle. Close second not recognized on this list was Rick’s amazing breakdown after realizing Lori was dead. Andrew Lincoln plays crazy so effortlessly that he almost verged on polarizing but not enough to become unlovable. Rick Grimes is such an incredible television character. I’m continuously impressed by him and Norman Reedus – and the rest of the cast for that matter.

20. Bring more people to WD says:

Bring some others characters back
    like Amy, Sophia, Lori, Andrea, or
    bring the Alice character but just like
    one from comic. I have some ideas
    for season 4 soo if you are
    interesting answer here.

21. Shauna says:

When Rick melted down after Lori’s death…”No, no, no” and melted to the ground and cried. At that moment, I thought “My God, that Andrew Lincoln is the most talented actor I’ve ever seen.” He convinced me that he had just experienced the loss of his lady love. His own remaining source of strength. I cried with him, experiencing the loss with him. Good characters are the characters that make us love them or care about them. We love Darryl. We love Rick. While we may not give a crap about Lori or Merle, we do love those two & care about how the loss of those effect Rick & Darryl. (etc). Glen and Maggie…I say keep it. I need something to hold on to. The viewers need it, too (whether they admit it or not). We need some sort of hope in the end of the world. Humanity is not just a bunch of fighting savages (which we are in our primal AND technological states), we also encompass something that the animals don’t possess: Hope. So leave Glen & Maggie alone…let us always have them as our beacon of hope, that even when the world has went to pot….love blossoms & endures.

22. The walking dead season four is how long due to be available in Kenya

23. Paige Stricklin says:

This article was fantastic and I think y’all did a great job running down the best moments of season 3. Great job boys!!

24. John Kinney says:

Wow! This was by far the best show on television this year, and for many years past. My daughters and I would be glued to the couch, mesmerized by what was happening each week on the Dead. Saturday became the day of planning for the following nights show. We are totally bummed that it is over for now. We can take some comfort that we will be able to see a few of our fav characters when they come to our town this Sept. for a “horror” tv , movie convention. God, we cant wait.

25. Kisha from Houston says:

Favorite episode is Clear…saddest moment was when Andrea almost made it to the prison before being captured by the Governor. I am a huge fan of Rick’s character…where are the men like that in real life? LOL

26. Herschel child!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    he will stay alive.
    he himself “Scott Wilson” has said that he may grow an other leg during season 5.
    they had also said season 5 will premiere next year on October the 17th in the UK
    and 11th October in …
    season four will start on my b day aka 18th October ( yay)
    walking dead is awesome
    Andrew Lincoln …….. love so much i have a bed cover of the walking dead!!!!!

27. Mark E says: