Ratings: Happy Endings Down in Friday Debut

Ratings Happy Endings on FridaysABC’s Happy Endings christened its new time slot with demo numbers that were below its most recent Tuesday broadcasts and well shy of what Tim Allen and Reba McEntire were doing in Friday’s opening hour.

The transplanted sitcom’s first episode drew 3 million total viewers and a 0.9 rating with the coveted 18-49 crowd, while its second installment at 8:30 pm dipped to 2.4 mil/0.7.

For comparison’s sake, Happy Endings averaged 3 mil with a 1.3/1.2 two months ago on a Tuesday, while the Last Man Standing and Malibu Country season finales one week ago averaged north of 7 million and a 1.5.

RELATED | TVLine’s 2013 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled?

Leading out of that, Shark Tank slipped 20 and 15 percent from its last fresh episode, to 6 mil/1.7, yet still managed to lead all non-sports programming in the demo.

Elsewhere….

* NBC’s Fashion Star (3.03 mil/0.8) rose a tenth and drew its largest audience of the season; Grimm ticked down 4 percent and a tenth to 4.8 mil/1.3.

* Fox’s Touch fell 14 percent and two tenths to 2.4 mil/0.5.

* The CW’s Nikita (1.3 mil/0.4) added a few viewers while steady in the demo, but Cult (605K/0.2) dropped 17 percent in audience.

* CBS’ March Madness coverage averaged 6.4 mil and a 1.9 from 8 to 11 pm.

Want scoop on any of the above shows? Email mattmtvguy@gmail.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. rebecca says:

crap crap crap… watch Happy Endings people!!!!!

• Lizabeth says:

I forgot it was back on until I checked twitter last night. I watched it first thing this morning on Hulu, though! My forgetfulness aside, I agree…watch Happy Endings people!!!!!

2. Roger says:

Yay Nikita! Come on season 4! Best show CW has besides Arrow.

• kavyn says:

I think season 1 of Nikita is better than season 1 of Arrow. But I do agree right now, Arrow is better than Nikita, but both are pretty great :). I’ve been enjoying TVD recently too with the return of Katherine.

• Ram510 says:

I agree. Season 1 of Nikita was superb and I enjoyed it more than this season of Arrow. Eventhough Arrow has gotten more intense these past few episodes I would say the past few eps of Nikita have been better especially this past Fridays, which was one of the best since last season. But over all Arrow S1 has been more consistant than Nikita S3

3. Kevin says:

Nikita is doing great for a friday show against Easter and daylight savings

4. Katrin says:

Touch has been SO so good the whole Season… but I’m obviously the only one to see that… I just hope we’ll get a decent ending, when the show gets cancelled… I really want some closure for this show…

5. Star says:

ABC needs to wake up. HE is by far one of the funniest comedies on tv and they’re going to let it disappear into Friday night oblivion. HE would be perfect in the timeslot after Modern Family.

• Dryden says:

HE was behind Modern Family last year and the drop off was huge. Granted, nothing ABC has tried is doing much better…

6. Eric says:

No!!! This news brings us one step closer to Happy Endings’ demise, and that can’t happen! Everyone reading this had better watch it next week, it is one of the greatest comedies currently on television.

• kavyn says:

Unfortunately Happy Endings is done for :/. The producers behind HE are handling Community though and Community is likely to get a 5th season, so maybe you should check that show out to help cope with the upcoming loss.

7. ddddddd says:

Just put Cult out of its misery already!

• Vdforme says:

They have already completed production on a full season so they would lose money by taking it off of the air

• B says:

I wish other networks cared about a waste of episodes. I want a burn off marathon for the rest of Don’t Trust the B!

8. Diane says:

Love Happy Endings. The network has screwed them over so many times. Maybe people probably didn’t know it was back. I have it on my dvr and it did not record the second episode. Last’s night first episode was so funny and I was told by a family member the second episode was even funnier.

9. sarah birkin says:

NONONONONONO NOT GOODDDDD WATCH HE PEOPLE!! And come on give Cult a try…… Its actually decent :/ not the best but definitely deserves a try :( and completely agree touch has been fantastic this season also……I really hope we get a proper ending with it :( x

10. Leah says:

Noooo! I love Happy Endings. Last night was the first time I had watched it with my parents in the room. About 90 seconds in they started complaining they had no idea what was happening. All the quick talk about late night texting and Gangnam Style really throws the older folks off.

11. DavidSask says:

Hating you so much America for killing Happy Endings!!! TBS save the show and ABC finish the entire season regardless of ratings!!!

12. gm465271 says:

Last night was my first time watching Happy Endings. It definitely gave me a few laughs, but the pace and dialogue was just so ..frantic. Everyone involved in the show needs to take a chill pill. I’m used to quick banter and 2-second flashbacks from years of watching shows like 30 Rock, Cougar Town, and Scrubs, but Happy Endings was just too much. Talking fast and having short scenes doesn’t make your show funnier.

• Mike says:

I’m glad you have it a shot, admittedly it is not a show for everybody, it is niche, and the fast talking is part if the appeal.

• kavyn says:

I guess it’s just something viewers need to adapt to. A lot of comedies are really slowly paced, like BBT. I guess that does appeal to the older folk but why should younger viewers suffer because 50+ year olds want a show that takes 5 minutes to complete a single scene?

I do agree though that HE is really quick, but I don’t think it’s unwatchable or deserves low ratings because of it.

• Fran says:

I’m 29 and don’t like Happy Endings- I tried it, it just didn’t do it for me. So I don’t think it’s a question of older versus younger viewers. It just doesn’t appeal to everyone.

• Mike says:

Just because you are an outlier, does not mean it is not a show that appeals mostly to a younger audience that are not home on a Friday night.

• Chris says:

Your ageism is showing. Classy!

13. forwarddad says:

No one prolly knew Shark Tank was not a repeat . I don’t get ABC, they ran Shark Tank on repeats forbweeks. Then they show an original ep against NCAA?

14. Kay says:

ABC please put Happy Endings on after Modern Family again. Please please please

• Ana says:

That didn’t work because the shows are incompatible. MF is more sophisticated, mature and disciplined. The writers create situations and dynamics that are interesting to see as they play out. It’s physical without being ridiculous, it makes a statement without hitting you over the head with it. It’s more middle-of-the-road and thus appeals to a different audience. HE has a very specific audience. It has become like a show about hipsters where everything is supposed to be ironic except that it isn’t. There is no direction, no plot, no situation, it’s just a combination of independent skits thrown together. It’s like SNL with a hotter cast. And some acts work but most don’t.

• Leah says:

Wow. Don’t state your opinion like it is fact. I’ve always thought that HE was funnier than MF. Yes, MF will appeal to more people, but that does not AT ALL mean it is better. If popularity determined quality, junk like CSI and Two and a Half Men would be the greatest shows on tv.

• CJS says:

True, but quality doesn’t determine what stays on the air; ratings do. That’s why the “better” comedies like HE and Community are likely to be cancelled & the “junk” comedies like Two and a Half Men are still on the air & will likely stay on the air.

• Ana says:

Personally, I can tolerate MF but I don’t love it. I loved HE when it first started and I still like some of its elements. And since this is a ‘comments’ section, I am commenting. I’m not writing a dissertation or claiming to have empirical evidence. I commented on how the shows appeal to different audiences and therefore are not really compatible enough to guarantee that HE will succeed if it is scheduled after MF. Try to stay in context…

• Mike says:

Modern Family…sophisticated, what are you on?

• Ana says:

Good lord, you have to read it in context. I’m not saying it’s classier. I’m saying that there is a different level of complexity in how it is written and how the plot is developed. What are YOU on?

15. Ana says:

Well, obviously HE fans are very loyal. This is, IMO, the best looking cast on TV and with the most potential. I love all of them. But that’s not enough. This show is an insult to everyone’s intelligence. It does have some moments of brilliance but then it slips right back to the most ridiculous and unbelievable antics. Some of the comedy is so over the top as to be absolutely implausible and it doesn’t work because this is not a vaudeville act. I love Alex. But she has become so extremely dumb it doesn’t even make sense. She walks into things, she is completely disconnected from reality, she doesn’t get irony or even references to current events, but yet she owns a store. It’s a pity. I’ve watched HE from the beginning. When the ratings first started to really slip I thought that this was just an under appreciated and misunderstood little show. But then it started to get really bad. The only bright spot on the first episode last night I thought was Jane. It’s like she’s funny but she doesn’t try to be. She just shows up and delivers it straight and you get it. She’s super rude and competitive and she doesn’t get people which would make her unlikeable but the irony is that she thinks this is normal and she doesn’t get why people don’t get her. Her cluelessness makes it funny. But the others are trying too hard to be funny or ironic and the over the top delivery fails. And the bad jokes and bad writing doesn’t help. At this point, ABC should put it out of its misery. They have destroyed a show that had so much potential….

• CJS says:

If only every HE fan had as much common sense as you do, then the world would be a much better place. Well said.

• Mike says:

Last nights episodes were great, and clearly your not a fan of the show, it hasn’t changed since the beginning of the second season.

• ChrisGa says:

Yeah, I gotta say last night’s two eps with outrageously funny, maybe the two funniest I’ve seen all season(and exponentially funnier than Modern Family’s current season, which IMO has been pretty underwhelming on nearly all fronts). It’s such a shame that it’s just never caught on with the masses. Considering it pretty much did last night what it was doing on Tuesdays I suspect ABC will burn the remaining episodes off then cancel it.

• Mike says:

Unfortunately I don’t see it getting renewed in any shape or form without a miracle, who knows maybe it will get put on Netflix and attract a cult following one day, it sure deserves it.

• Ana says:

Haven’t missed a single episode since it started, but you know, whatevs…

• Ana says:

Yes. Max licking that girl’s face was hilarious! *gag* And Dave singing incessantly about poop was a classic, and very mature! *seriously???*

16. Christian says:

Modern Family sophisticated and mature? Ok there buddy…

17. ollie says:

YAY NIKITA!! please please cw renew it.

18. Won’t watch CBS until CSI NY comes back! Don’t like Golden Boy and I don’t care for Vegas!

19. Nicole says:

I wish Happy endings wasnt on Friday nights. I work Friday nights and have to miss it. I love the show it is a comedy it should find a place on Wednesday nights with other comedy shows. On Friday nights it is a lot of drama shows it does not fit in.

• Nero theTVFiddler says:

No need to miss any show that is broadcast on a night that you are working or not at home to watch. There are many ways to see HE after its initial broadcast: if you subscribe to a cable service [ie. Comcast, Warner, Dish], they often have an ‘On Demand’ service that will allow you to view shows you may have missed and/or not DVR’ed via TIVO.
      Also, on abc.com, you can stream most any current episode of an ABC show to your PC/mobile device/SmartTV, including HE.

20. Rob says:

I love Happy Endings! It’s my favorite comedy along with Community. It’s too bad people don’t understand the humor.

• Julie says:

I understand the attempt at humor- I just don’t think it’s funny. That’s my personal taste I guess. I don’t think it’s about “getting” it…. it’s just not a show that appeals to everyone. It happens.

21. Jay says:

Wasn’t on in the DC market because the local ABC outlet broadcast a baseball special. Sucks but hopefully my watching online and on demand will help.

• Carm says:

Will be on here tomorrow at 3:00 and 3:30pm. If I did not have it on a season pass I would have never known. What a crazy time for them to show the new episodes.

22. Callie says:

God, what do they expect when they put it on hiatus for weeks only to come back on a totally different night. You can’t expect viewers to know when something is on when they change the schedule so much. (Before this, we had two episodes a week, Sundays and Tuesdays, for what, two weeks?)

23. JAMANDAFAN says:

Of course Happy Endings is down–ABC didn’t let people know that it was back last night!! I only found out right before it started from this website. I never saw a commercial or anything else for it. Come on ABC–put it behind Modern Family and the ratings will jump up again!

• J. Norman says:

Then you don’t watch ABC very much because it was heavily hyped and advertised leading into the Friday episodes.
      I doubt that the other networks (which I guess you watch) are advertising Happy Ending episodes

24. lcoviello says:

Hard to ignore the fact that here in the DC Market they didn’t even show it last night. Scheduled some Nats preview instead. HE is airing Sunday at 3pm

25. Of course Happy Ending was down because it was not on in half of the markets because of other programming. They had on some Skating with the Stars on instead and they are putting Happy Endings on Sunday at 1pm

26. Diane says:

ABC just wants to kill the HE, simple as that. What a shame.

• NJMark says:

Then why did they run so many ads saying “Save Happy Endings”?

• Chris says:

Then why is the show still on the air despite consistently stinktastic ratings? Why has ABC tried it on different nights and at varying times over a period of MANY months in desperate attempts for it to find an audience?

27. maki says:

I’m a CULT watcher and said that it seems to fade away! They are doing a solid job now after the first 2 eps, the cast is pretty good and their are interesting!

Hope they get some good new shows!

28. A says:

Reason why you must watch Happy Endings: Alex watches a Japanese game show where you carry your friend’s cat through a room full of dogs.

29. Danny says:

It’s funny how people always makes it out to be about “not understandning the humor”. We get it fine, it’s just not funny. Happy Endings used to be, in the beginning, a nice little show with potential. But the inconsistent writing ruined it. Alex became a complete airhead for no reason but to justify the lazy writing, and Penny is the most irritating character to cross the small screen since I don’t even know. Everything is just to over the top and it’s a shame, really. It could’ve been great with better writers, because the cast is all kinds of great. Damon Wayns Jr. is pretty much the most likable dude on tv, and Eliza Coupe is hilarious in everything she does. Just put this show out of it’s misery and let’s hope the cast finds jobs on better shows in the future.

• Mike says:

Quality is subjective, BBT sucks IMO, but some people seem to love it, I don’t bash it just because it not my taste

• Ana says:

Quite right. Problem is that the majority of people have subjectively decided that they don’t care for this show and so, they do not tune in.

30. Jay says:

I’m sure the demo for Happy Endings is probably doing other things at the Friday night time slot; why ABC thought they could control human behavior is beyond me… Moving it to Friday will surly doom this great comedy. …and have the same fate as That B* in Apt 23.

31. Lauren says:

Can Brad and Jane just have their own show?! Cause I’d watch that all day. Agree with the people who are frustrated with how the show has gone down hill. The first 2 seasons were excellent. I feel like since then it has turned into a stunt show of who can say a joke the fastest. The writing was on the wall and it was certainly fun while it lasted. If you are even remotely a fan of this show I highly recommend Parks and Recreation. It’s got the hilarious, quick, smart humor. But much better written, has a heart, and the cast is so fabulous!

• Ana says:

Agree, so much! I love, LOVE Brad and Jane. True story: I watched the pilot for New Girl when Damon was on. When they substituted his character I tuned out. I couldn’t watch it without him. :-( I hate that ABC has destroyed HE and we will lose these characters. And Parks and Rec is my favorite comedy, bar none.

32. Ron says:

Two things. One, ABC didn’t even remotely do a good job at promoting the return of HE. I did watch the two shows, but it was by pure accident because I forgot that the show was returning. I thought it was returning in April. So, bad promotion doesn’t help ratings. Two, TBS, get ready …….. please! HE/Cougar Town hour comedy block anyone?

33. David4 says:

Canceled.

Come on TBS or TNT or whomever wants this great new “Friends” style show.

34. Last night was my first viewing of Happy Endings and I don’t regret it. So please, ABC, do not cancel this awesome show!

35. GTS says:

I can’t say I’m surprised. Honestly, the cool people that watch Happy Endings are out Fridays from 8-9(or 8-8:30).

36. Kat says:

Considering ABC moves the night Happy Endings is on every other week, it’s amazing there were 3 million of us watching the new episodes this week. Especially on a Friday night. I wish they would just consistently put it on one night at the same time and stick to that. I really think it would help this great show find more viewers. And why not a night like Mondays too when there’s really so little on? Along with Thursdays, Tuesday is one of the strongest nights of competition for good TV on across the networks. Really hope ABC realizes that if they believed in this show more too, it would prove to be well worth the effort! Fantastic cast and great writing, every episode makes me laugh and want to be friends with the whole gang.

• Chris says:

It’s only YOUR opinion that “little” airs on Mondays. Plenty of people would argue with you. Fox has a well-rated lineup with Bones and The Following, CBS does nicely with its two hours of comedy and decently with Hawaii Five-0, NBC has The Voice and Revolution, which grab high numbers. Seems to me that the Monday competition is pretty stiff since virtually ALL of those shows are already renewed or will be soon.

As for ABC on Mondays, it has DWTS for two hours and then Castle, which do well. Where is Happy Endings supposed to go? There’s no room for it! If it aired in place of Castle, even, people would whine and moan that the timeslot is “too late” supposedly.

Tuesday is a fairly weak night, actually. Fox is not doing much business there, NBC is doing badly except when they have The Voice on, the entire ABC lineup is unimpressive, and CBS gets good numbers from NCIS and NCIS LA except that it’s strongest in older viewers, which leaves the 18-49 demo open for other shows to do well. If Happy Endings can’t do crap on Tuesdays, that’s pathetic!

37. Kimberly says:

I think it’s great that Happy Endings got three seasons and I’ll be sad to see it go, but I would understand if it did. It just doesn’t appeal to the masses but to a certain crowd.

38. Ben says:

I love Happy Endings! It cracks me up like no other show. However, I’m mentally preparing for its cancellation.

39. NJMark says:

Is it even remotely possible that the low ratings had something to do with the fact that it was competing against one of the biggest sports events of the year?

Regardless, the ratings system is a dinosaur, as people no longer watch all their shows the exact moment they are airing. VCRs changed that years ago, and DVRs and various forms of online viewing changed it even further.

40. Muckbeast says:

What?

You mean if you take a show off the air for weeks/months, and then suddenly plop it back on at a different day and time, you end up with worse ratings?

Whoda thunk it?

Network managers are idiots.

41. Gerald says:

Friday night has so much must see TV. Laughed out loud at both Happy Endings. Yes a Cougar Twon team up on CBS would be a great idea.
    I was loving Touch. I hope it gets some closure.
    And Nikita is fantastic. I hope it gets a season 4 and gets syndication.

42. PEOPLE SERIOYSLY WATCH HAPPY ENDINGS… I NEED MY HAPPY ENDINGS… DAMN U …. ok seriously watch it!!! please??? pretty please??? pretty prettyyyyyyyy pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase…….

43. Excellent willing analytical eye to get fine detail and may foresee difficulties just before these people occur.

44. Shona says:

We are a group a group of volunteers and starting a
    brand new scheme in our community. Your web site provided us with valuable
    and paintings on . You have a formidable activity and our all the neighborhood will likely
    be thankful to you .
    Undeniably Account which you stated . Your favorite justification appeared to be at
    the web easy factor to take into account of . I tell you , i certainly annoyed same as any other
    people consider think issues clear that just do not recognize about .

You controlled perfectly as defined everything managed to hit the nail
    on the top without having side effect , people
    could take a signal. Will likely be back to get more.
    Thanks