Doctor Who News: David Tennant, Billie Piper On Board for 50th Anniversary Special

Get More: Casting News, News

Doctor Who Anniversary Special Cast Tennant PiperAt least one former Time Lord and companion — David Tennant and Billie Piper– are officially on board for Doctor Who‘s 50th anniversary special, to start filming this week in the UK.

Additionally, John Hurt (Alien) has been cast in the BBC America special, which was written by Steven Moffat and will be directed by Nick Hurran.

The news comes just as Doctor Who Season 7 resumes, tonight at 8/7c.

VIDEO | Doctor Who Season 7 Spoilers, ‘Bells of St. John’ Prequel

Tennant made his debut as the Tenth Doctor in June 2005, and last filled the role on January 1, 2010. Since exiting Who, he has appeared in the miniseries Single Father, The Escape Artist and Spies of Warsaw (premiering April 3).

Piper played companion Rose Tyler starting in May 2005, and exited the series with Tennant in his final episode, “The End of Time.” She went on to headline the series Secret Diary of a Call Girl for four seasons.

Also as part of the 50th anniversary plans, BBCA is co-producing a TV-movie chronicling the series’ genesis and the Time Lord’s maiden voyage on Nov. 23, 1963. An Adventure in Space and Time will star David Bradley (aka the Harry Potter films’ Argus Filch) as William Hartnell, the series’ first Doctor.

Which other Doctor Who alumni do you hope sign on for the anniversary celebration?

Comments (119)

• Yes! David Tennant was my doctor, and I’m so glad to see him return to the role. And to hear that Rose will be accompanying him once again? My day has been made.

Comment by Eric – March 30, 2013 07:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ^^^This^^^

Comment by Gillian – March 30, 2013 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • This x2

Comment by Mel – March 30, 2013 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I love these two!!!! …and as much as I love #10, I can’t wait see Rose interact with #11.

Comment by jaimej – April 1, 2013 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This x3

Comment by asniech – March 30, 2013 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Woot!

Comment by Kate – March 30, 2013 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hold up, hold up. The Tenth Doctor won’t be in the special. The Part Human, Part Timelord Doctor that grew out of the hand will be. They’ll be going to that parallel universe. Still, it’s REALLY awesome nevertheless.

Comment by Spirit – April 1, 2013 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • So how do you know this …did you write the episode …I don’t think so…since it’s under lock and key you have no clue but assumption…never ever assume around the doctor …multiple doctors have appeared together before …..its a timey wimey thingy……

Comment by vincent merkel – April 2, 2013 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • David Tennant was definitely my favorite doctor, (even though I swore I would hate him when I found out Christopher Eccleston was leaving the role because I loved him too.), but for some reason I just never much cared for Rose or any of her storyline for some odd reason. I can’t even really explain why. Something about her just didn’t set well with me. I think the Ponds are probably my favorites. Donna and Martha Jones were fun too. Does Captain Jack Harkness count as a companion? (I never really thought of him as one, but I guess technically he was…?) If so, I guess he has to be at the top of the list somewhere as well.

Comment by The Squatch – April 1, 2013 07:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I meant this as a reply to a post further down. My apologies.

Comment by The Squatch – April 1, 2013 07:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m curious to find out when in the character’s history we’ll see the characters, and more specifically which Doctor Tennant is playing, the Doctor or his clone. I for one would prefer it if it was the clone (or maybe it’s both?).

One theory is that the clone is the evil Doctor (Valeyard), so maybe Tennant is playing the bad guy?

Comment by Michael Sacal – March 30, 2013 07:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I gasped out loud when reading this headline. Awesome!!

Comment by Brooke – March 30, 2013 07:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad they’re participating, but unfortunately for me their just my least favorite Doctor and companion. Not that I hate them – just felt their entire arc was dragged out far too long. I don’t know how they can even expand on it further.

Comment by Amanda – March 30, 2013 07:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ^^^This^^^

Comment by znachki – March 30, 2013 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I need Jack Harkness. Period point black. Moffat. Make it happen.

Comment by Becky – March 30, 2013 07:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would really like to see Donna Noble (Catherine Tate) return with her memory back. She was my favorite of Tennant’s companions .

Comment by Gail – March 30, 2013 08:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed! I really want Donna back on! My favorite companion thus far! I love Rose and 10 (10.5) and I would love to see them show where they are at, but I really want Donna to come too.

Comment by Emily – March 30, 2013 09:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But donnaa eel bloww uup

Comment by shania – April 21, 2013 08:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Captain Jack would still be nice, though he has said he isn’t part of it…..

Comment by Dale Haden – March 30, 2013 08:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You never know. Back in January Billie Piper said she would not be a part of the show because she had not been asked.

Comment by Gail – March 30, 2013 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • shes most likely been asked since then then YAYY!!
        David N Rose were and still are to this day my FAV Dr n companion there amazing and i love them no one can ever live up to there standards

Comment by shanazmataz – March 30, 2013 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And John Barrowman said that very recently too. However, he has a nice recurring stint on the sci-fi hit of the current tv season “Arrow” but any Dr Who reunion from the reboot wouldn’t be the same without Captain Jack Harkness. There are still so many things left unresolved with that character such as what exactly is the character’s real name?

Comment by Jeff B – March 30, 2013 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • If Alex Kingston can be in both Doctor Who and Arrow, I don’t see why John Barrowman can’t be.

As for his unresolved mysteries… some mysteries are better left unresolved. The Doctor was created in the sixties and we still don’t know his real name and I doubt we ever will.

Comment by Paul Penna – March 30, 2013 04:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • go back to last season ….the biggest question Dorian repeated over and over as the Doctor left him : Doctor Who ? Doctor Who ? Doctor Who?

Comment by vincent merkel – April 2, 2013 07:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • CAPT. JACK!! … John Barrowman is against appearing – but it wouldn’t be the same without him.

Comment by Shein Die – March 30, 2013 07:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • John Barrowman is NOT against appearing. He has stated months ago that he had already talked to his bosses at Arrow who agreed to give him the time off if the opportunity came up to be in the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special. He would do it in a heartbeat!

Comment by Becky Reeve – March 30, 2013 10:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • oh my GOD, dw writers, LET IT GO ALREADY.

Comment by Betsy – March 30, 2013 08:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • SERIOUSLY. I cannot believe I am gonna have to bear with Ten and Rose fans and their tru wuv for years and years to come.

Comment by Mary – March 30, 2013 08:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • please don’t even remind me. ~the most specialest wonderfulest best companion of ever, y’all~

it makes me sad because I used to love rose, but they just couldn’t leave well enough alone with her.

Comment by Betsy – March 30, 2013 09:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Let what go? Rose was in less episodes than Amy. Her arc rounded out the RTD era. Big deal. It wasn’t dragged out. It was played out in a realistic, proper way. All of the characters in RTD’s run were. They all came back and ended with the eleventh regeneration when Moffat took over. Rose WAS presented as the girl the Doctor was in love with so it couldn’t just be left hanging because some people didn’t like the writer’s creative decision to PURPOSELY tell a love story. So now, why wouldn’t they want to bring back a character that the majority of the audience likes for an ANNIVERSARY special? Rose is a popular companion. She helped bring back the show. And going off your second post with your condescending tone I’d just like to say that I am so sick of certain people always going off about how Doctor/Rose fans are crazy. Most are normal. Sure there are always extreme shipper types who make noise. I could argue that all Doctor/River fans are nuts too based on a few crazies. But I wouldn’t be that inconsiderate or disrespectful to them. Normal, everyday people who love the characters, arc and yes love story that was PURPOSELY presented between the Doctor and Rose on the show don’t like to be grouped together with a few nutsos. And to be frank, whether or not people like their love story it is there. So people screaming about their true “wuv” in an obnoxious way just come across angry that the writers chose to run with that story in the first place. But they did. And Rose remains popular as do the Eccleston/Piper and Tennant/Piper pairings. And according to RTD whenever Rose returned the ratings went up. So on Moffat’s part this seems like a very clever move. Why? Because despite a few loud haters online, most people liked Tennant as the Doctor and most people liked Rose. And yes, most of them are just normal people.

Comment by AT – March 30, 2013 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • A++

Comment by louise – March 30, 2013 03:13 PM PDT
          • Exactly. Well put. And seriously, this could be said about fans and pairings in many different fandoms.

Comment by paula – March 30, 2013 03:15 PM PDT
          • Thank you for this post AT! You’re awesome!

Comment by asniech – March 30, 2013 05:21 PM PDT
          • The Doctor and Rose as a romantic couple are barfworthy!

Comment by Chris – March 30, 2013 07:53 PM PDT
          • Couldn’t have put it better, myself.

Comment by Becca – March 31, 2013 12:21 AM PDT
          • Fantastic reply!

Comment by Jess (@CrashandBurn9) – March 31, 2013 01:30 PM PDT
          • I loved the episode Turn Left …her appearance made my whole family cheer because we knew we were in for a ride of a lifetime ……and I am in my 60′s

Comment by vincent merkel – April 2, 2013 07:46 PM PDT
          • A++++++

Comment by Berenice – June 10, 2013 11:20 AM PDT
    • Why are you such an idiot? Its for the 50TH ANNIVERSARY… TO CELEBRATE DOCTOR WHO. The point is to make it special and to try and get fan loved characters back if they can. I think you’re the one that needs to let it go… your hatred that is.

Comment by tee – March 30, 2013 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • HAHAHAHAHA holy crap you’re serious aren’t you

you are so pathetic

Comment by Betsy – March 30, 2013 09:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • You realize you just made tee’s point, right?

Comment by Temperence – March 30, 2013 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • LOL…Oh sad little betsy, you just got so powned…

Comment by ashley – March 30, 2013 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • You are such an idiot. It’s the goddamn 50th Anniversary, and all you can do is HATE? YOU IDIOT. They are going to get fan loved characters back, because Doctor Who really loves their fans. So if you’re going to hate about it, shut up. Seriously, shut up.

Comment by 15wongnh1 – April 17, 2013 08:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How neat would it be if they got Christopher Eccleston as the 9th Doctor with Rose and the 10th Doctor all in one scene. .

Comment by Gary – March 30, 2013 08:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This would be amazing!!

Comment by KCC – March 30, 2013 08:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That would be awesome!

Comment by AT – March 30, 2013 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It would be neat but likely not to happen. CE hated being The Doctor which is why he only got one season. :(

Comment by Montie – March 30, 2013 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Actually he loved playing the Doctor according to him. He just didn’t agree with some of the behind the scenes behavior of one of the directors and one of the producers. He said as much last year in some acting class. He won’t name names though. It was something to do with how crew members were treated like dirt in a classist kind of way from a specific director and producer. Honestly it’s not hard to figure out who. And then the BBC handled his departure badly and were extremely rude to him about it.

Comment by AT – March 30, 2013 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That would be great, it would be interesting to have Rose with CE’s Doctor and DT’s Doctor with a companion from the specials. Due to the love story arc (which I think the reboot needed) it could offer some great bickering and carrying on between 9 and 10 a la Troughton/Pertwee. Just hope they get my fav doc, Peter Davison and on a side-note it would be cool since he is grandpa to DT’s children.

Comment by Lisa Scrak – March 30, 2013 11:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS. I want this.

Comment by Berenice – June 10, 2013 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t even express how happy this makes me! Tennant was my Doctor, and Rose was my favorite companion- I loved their chemistry! I’m kind of hoping that the story somehow brings back the half-human Ten with Rose, since I’d like to know how their lives have gone since “Journey’s End.”

Comment by Cath – March 30, 2013 08:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This!

Comment by Hodan – March 30, 2013 03:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m thinking that unless we hear of more former Doctors returning that Tennant will be back as the Doctor’s human hybrid clone and not the Doctor himself. It would make more sense to a story involving Rose again anyway, that #11 and presumably Clara would wind up back in Pete’s world somehow and encounter Rose and #10′s clone as (for the sake of the shippers) her now husband. I stil think the anniversary also needs some sort of acknoledgement of more of the past than just the recent run, but having David Tennant and Billie Piper back is a great start.

Comment by Tess – March 30, 2013 08:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NO MORE ROSE!!!!

Any of the previous Doctors can come back, that’s fine, but we do not need Rose!!! No more!

Comment by David4 – March 30, 2013 08:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YAY!! I’m hoping that they all come back for the special: 9th, 10th, 11th, Rose, Martha, Donna, Amy, Rory, River, new girl, Mickey, Jackie, Captain Jack, Donna’s mom & grandpa Wilf, Doctor’s daughter and 10th’s clone

Comment by KCC – March 30, 2013 08:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Totally with you KCC. Not only do I love Rose, but all of the past recurring or regular characters! I hope to see as many as possible. I love to see returning faces.

Comment by AT – March 30, 2013 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It’s the 50th anniversary, not the 8th. They should bring back Jamie, Donna, Ian, Ace definitely, and Jack. They should bring back as many Doctors as they can, and come up with a way to make it seem realistic that the Classic Doctors are older. They did it well in Time Crash. They could do it here.

Comment by Crowley – March 30, 2013 04:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yeah it’s 50 years, EVERYONE knows that, BBC is the one showing they don’t care. But I love the fact for the 50th we get ONE new episode this year, and It’s only 60 minutes long. I do not want to waste time on Rose. If they wanted to do another 50th anniversary series of 13 episodes that would be fine, but it is ONE episode and that’s it. Rose is not need.

Comment by Davvid4 – March 30, 2013 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Um…….we’re getting more than one episode, and what’s your beef with Rose? She was awesome.

Comment by Tom Charles – March 30, 2013 06:23 PM PDT
          • I think people who don’t like Rose are just secretly jealous that it was her and not them. Some characters you project yourself onto/identify with, others you’re mad that it’s not you for some reason, even though it’s fictional so it could never be you anyway. If the person is close to you in look, personality, or something else in their life or essence, you might love or resent them. It just depends. I happened to identify with Rose. Rose brought out the best in the Doctor, that’s why 10 left his clone with her. Partly to make her feel better, and partly because she could do for him what she did for 9 & 10. Rose is a great representative of humans without being some Lara Croft type. She is inquisitive, tenacious, and adapts the way the Doctor imagines we’re capable of doing at our best. If he thinks of Rose as a physical manifestation of what he loves about human beings, and some fans don’t like her, I just don’t know what to do about that. It’s an impasse and they’re just not on the same page he is.

Comment by scooby – March 30, 2013 06:46 PM PDT
          • YOU ARE CLEARLY Not a fan……. it has been said by Moffett that anyone who believes the episode is going to be sixty minutes is well misinformed and not a fan…I guess David4 that makes you the dreaded outsider geek with no clue …..in America we call people like you republicans

Comment by vincent merkel – April 2, 2013 07:53 PM PDT
        • Time Crash was great and PD’s thrill at still being able to fit his costume, with only slight adjustments, very cute. Be a great feate if they got Tegan back, could imagine the grief she would give 5 for being aged 30 plus years for the special. Not sure since the actress in question left acting.

Comment by Lisa Scrak – March 30, 2013 11:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • NO MORE DAVID4 …WE DO NOT NEED DAVID4!!!!! NO MORE !!!!!!!

Comment by vincent merkel – April 2, 2013 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • OH SHUT UP.

Comment by 15wongnh1 – April 17, 2013 08:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Actually, really, really, sorry about that.

I did not mean to tell you to shut up-I mistakenly thought you were another hater. Then, I checked, and you were yelling about that jerk David4. So really sorry about that too. Really sorry.

I regret saying that, actually.

Comment by 15wongnh1 – April 17, 2013 08:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would love to see how their lives have moved on since their last outing with the doctor – Rose and Tenth’s clone (and Jackie), Martha and Mickey, Amy and Rory, Donna, her husband and Wilf.

Comment by TVPeong – March 30, 2013 08:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES!!!!!! Favorite Doctor and favorite companion together again! Woot!

Comment by Michelle – March 30, 2013 08:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jeez a little on the hate for rose. I loved her! Each companion was good for that time. Yes she was prevalent in a lot of the 10 years but only because she was the first one in. We haven’t seen the pond effect. AnyWho love Tennats he my favorite!

Comment by Ashley – March 30, 2013 08:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • rose was a great character for a bit, but her arc ran its course and the writers continue to attempt to resurrect it in increasingly asinine ways — it’s storytelling that very obviously panders to the fans without regard for how things should evolve organically.

Comment by Betsy – March 30, 2013 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She returned ONCE after she was stuck in the parallel universe. The end of time episode was a scene in the past and certainly wasn’t asinine. A time traveler goes back in time to before they met so he can see the woman he loves one more time before he regenerates (symbolic of dying). Hmmm. Yeah, I can see how that’s not “organically” evolving. All of the RTD characters made returns for the end of season four. So why wouldn’t Rose? And as for the anniversary special how can you judge what hasn’t even been presented yet? In translation what you’re saying is that they’re pandering to Rose fans rather than pandering to Rose haters? Considering some “extreme” Rose haters were rudely telling Moffat to never bring back Rose, it’s not surprising that he responded defending Rose and is now bringing her back. Even last year he said he had a story for Rose in his head. I’m interested to see what that is. Everything presented with Rose so far has evolved organically. At least arguably. Of course liking something is always subjective. As for the future, I can’t say. But certainly I’m open to it.

Comment by AT – March 30, 2013 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BEST.NEWS.EVER. seriously, i’m squee-ing over here (sorry, unabashed fangirl). Wonder how they’ll do it – if it will be a timestream cross or the metacrisis doc and rose from the parallel universe – maybe they found a way to cross over to help save the world. that would be pretty cool!

Comment by abby – March 30, 2013 08:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rose is the Bad Wolf destroyer of Dakeks and well fantastic! but man I l

Comment by bright fire – March 30, 2013 08:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would love to see Donna lol she just slapped 10 around all the time!! They are all wonderful! Baptism Jack is fun too hope he shows his pretty face !!

Comment by bright fire – March 30, 2013 08:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best news ever! I love these two together. It wouldn’t have been a good anniversary without them IMO. This is just awesome. :)

Comment by Autumn – March 30, 2013 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder which Doctor it’ll be if they bring back Rose – the original Ten or Ten.2 who stayed with Rose.

Comment by Barb – March 30, 2013 09:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Would like it to be the clone so that we see a continuation of that story. The thing is this story has to serve a lot of characters so most appearances will probably be brief. I wonder how long this special will be. Hope they give a shout out to Sarah Jane.

Comment by Gail – March 30, 2013 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They need to get Barrowman + Kingston involved!!!!!! And as long as I’m wishing, I hope Chris Eccelstone will compromise and join up. He’s my Doctor

Comment by mia – March 30, 2013 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Kingston has already been cast …and was listed for the show since day one

Comment by vincent merkel – April 2, 2013 07:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Ponds said they wanted their ending set up so they could not come back so I guess they will not be a part of this special.

Comment by Gail – March 30, 2013 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Personally, I would love to see (on top of Rose and the Tenth Doctor) Captain Jack, Martha, Mickey, Jackie, DONNA, Wilf, etc…I think it would also be nice to see some kind of tribute to Sarah Jane. Maybe some of the kids from the Sarah Jane Adventures could make an appearance. Oh and of course…as impossible and as unlikely as it seems I would LOVE to see Christopher Eccleston back!!!!!I also think it likely during the anniversary we’ll probably see River Song head off to the library.

Comment by AT – March 30, 2013 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the 50th Anniversary of Who, not the 8th Anniversary of NuWho. At least one Doctor from before 2005 is needed. Tom Baker…please! But since Moffat is clueless since he took over the show, I doubt it.

Comment by David – March 30, 2013 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe he’ll get Davison again. My guess it’s probably harder to get some of the older actors back. Sometimes they can be expensive or perhaps even say no if asked. Hard to say. But I bet there will be at least one from before New Who.

Comment by AT – March 30, 2013 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I hope somebody…though I hope not Davison, he’s my least favorite.

Comment by David – March 30, 2013 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There’s still time. Maybe we’ll get Peter Davison! He was my first Doctor!

Comment by Sheila – March 30, 2013 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The problem is the older doctors have aged so much since they were The Doctor that it would be hard to have an organic storyline with a good portion of them because they would have to address how old they look…especially since they should have stopped ageing when they regenerated andThe Current Dotor would be technically be working with a version of the doctor before the regeneration…I would be all for them coming back if they can find a way to explain why they regenerated and looked 40 and now look 80…in my opinion

Comment by Billy – March 30, 2013 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Moffat’s own “Time Crash” explained the age problem, so problem solved.

Comment by David – March 30, 2013 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh, please. None of them look 80. And it’s a sci-fi show! Why are you so worried and find it so impossible to come up with an explanation for their older appearances? Any fan worth their salt could easily invent five reasons in five seconds!

Comment by Chris – March 30, 2013 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Tom Baker is 79 and most of the others are in their 60s…so they do look totally different than before…plus its not that I’m opposed to it or don’t want it to happen its just they need a great explanation for their aging like they did in Time Crash because I don’t want them to just not mention it at all and pretend they haven’t aged and everything is like it was before because it obviously isn’t

Comment by Billy – March 31, 2013 01:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Also I do have a couple ideas for an explanation…they range from just reusing the Time Crash explication to having either the silence, the great intelligence, or the highly hyped monster from this seasons finale trying to rapidly age the past version of the doctors to kill them…but I don’t like any of my ideas and I want the episode to be the best one ever and if they have a half thought out explanation on why they look the way thru do it’ll ruin the whole episode for me

Comment by Billy – March 31, 2013 01:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I want Paul McGann’s Eighth Doctor for the special. He would be so perfect. They could do so much with him drawing from the radio stories. We don’t know how long his incarnation lasted, so age doesn’t matter, and I so want to see him on our screens at least one more time.

Comment by znachki – March 30, 2013 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • David Tennant should be back as The Doctor!

Comment by John – March 30, 2013 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He’s wearing Eccleston’s jacket in the photo.
    If Nine doesn’t come back for the fiftieth too, I am going to be upset.

Comment by Jack Green (@Jack_of_theDead) – March 30, 2013 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i enjoyed rose and the 10th doctor when they started but i felt they were dragged out a bit too long and was glad to see them go. i really hope their role is small and doesnt overshadow matt smith and jenna-louise coleman by giving the best bits to characters who we wont be seeing again.

Comment by Alan – March 30, 2013 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Again? Did we need to see Rose again? She was dragged on for too long!

Comment by EVPandHC – March 30, 2013 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sylvester McCoy was my least favorite. And since its a 50th special… How bout Tom Baker, with companions Romana and K-9. Or am I just really showing my “old” age of 40. This was the Doctor I grew up with :-)

Comment by scottymac – March 30, 2013 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know how I feel about this. On the one hand, ROSE AND TEN, YOU ARE MY FAVOURITES, on the other hand… I don’t really want Moffat to touch them? Or anyone beside RTD, really, because they might screw it up.. Oh well, I’ll try to have faith :P

Comment by louise – March 30, 2013 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder if we’ll see how things are going with Rose and the human version of 10? I would love to see Donna and Wilfred again; I enjoyed Donna as a companion. I’m looking forward to it, no matter what they do!

Comment by paula – March 30, 2013 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh news on Doctor Who on Tvline :o wtf?
    Great news tho.

Comment by Adam Bramble – March 30, 2013 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • But Cpt. Jack ? =(

Comment by mac – March 30, 2013 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this is going to cause problems because of the awful last few stories from tennats era. why would 10 be running from a regeneration he has already seen and knows must happen? i hated the whole story of him not wanting to regenerate because he likes his current form, it ruined what should have been a great send off for the character.
    at the very least it means moffat gets to write his excellent dialogue for tennant again, i really liked the choices tennant made with the snappy dialogue he was given by moffat.

Comment by Alan – March 30, 2013 06:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Right now thousands of NuWho fans are saying “Who are these people? JAMMY DODGERS! Bow ties and fezes are cool! Stormageddon says it’s a ll abunch of timey whimey nonsense.”

Comment by Tom Charles – March 30, 2013 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • MY DOCTOR!!!!!!! soooo excited!!!!

Comment by MoshiMoshi – March 30, 2013 07:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PEE YEW. Bring back the great classic Doctors and companions, not Farty and the blonde bimbo!

Comment by Chris – March 30, 2013 07:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know fans wouldn’t like it but they should recast the earlier doctors so they are the age they were when they played the part, like the rebooted Star Trek. You could then have the first 3 doctors on the show.

Comment by Gail – March 30, 2013 11:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked Rose. Her fans got on my nerves though. I would love to see Donna and Martha back. They were my favorite companions for Ten. I can’t wait to see River. LOVE her.

Comment by Nicole – March 31, 2013 04:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thrilled about Tennant, definitely not thrilled about Rose. I started out liking her in S1, then they turned her into a selfish, whiny lovesick teenage brat, who brought out those same qualities in the 10th Doctor. And then after she left, they continually kept mentioning her, shoehorning her back into the story over and over again even though it made no sense and there were new companions who deserved their own stories. I never wanted to see her again, and wish they’d chosen someone different to bring back.

Doctor/companion romance does not sit well at all with most Classic Series fans. I always found it somewhat creepy given the age difference between the Doctor and his companions and I never understood why it was Rose who was so “special” and not Sarah Jane, Jo, Leela, Ace, etc. I sincerely hope that they bring back some Classic Series Doctors/companions too. They deserve it and I’ll need something to help me ignore the Ten/Rose/Eleven “twuu wuv/jealousy” story they’ll undoubtedly do.

Comment by Linwe – March 31, 2013 05:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, totally creepy.

Comment by george – April 2, 2013 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aside from this great news about 10 and Rose – I want 9, Donna and Capt Jack back too! And oh how about Craig. But I agree with the one who posted am afraid Moffat is gonna screw it up.

Comment by Joe – March 31, 2013 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • David Tennant debuted in 2006; not 2005. i wonder where this info is coming from?

Comment by Paul – March 31, 2013 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • David Tennant’s first appearance was in The Parting of the Ways, CE’s last episode, which was in 2005, as was that’ year’s Christmas special, which was his first full episode.

Comment by Tikkanen – April 1, 2013 07:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Haters be darned. I love Rose Tyler (with 9 and 10, can’t wait for 11 to meet her)… I expected Tennant to come back, but I was so surprised (over the moon) to see that Billie Piper was coming with him. They were so adorable on screen together and as much as I love Matt Smith, I feel like something has been missing since he took over. I can’t wait for November to get here. I’m rooting for a Pete’s world reunion, but I’ll take whatever I can get.

Comment by jaimej – April 1, 2013 03:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the most epic thing ever, but I also kind of wish Donna Noble would make an unexpected, triumphant, and dare I say, hilarious return.

Comment by Casey Evans-Nielsen – April 1, 2013 06:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d love at least an appearance of many of the old Doctors. With archive footage and dubbed voices or even animation. It could be a brief thing, in a monitor, like in The Three Doctors. It’d be sad if the 30th anniversary special completely eclipses the 50th, but there’s still time to get McGann, McCoy, Davison, and both Bakers on board. (I doubt that Eccleston will do it.)

Comment by george – April 2, 2013 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tom Baker

Comment by Michael Yahwak – April 19, 2013 07:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It just seems like it’s going to be an 7th anniversary, not a 50th, I hope I am wrong about that.
    Errghh why bring Rose back?

Comment by Paul Richardson – April 22, 2013 05:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • a lot of these comments I just don’t get, you guys are sitting over here arguing over who should be in the special. why not just be excited to watch the special. my hat goes off to the true fans who don’t care which companions are in it just that it will do justice to the last 50 years of who! I mean everyone is entitled to their opinions but come ON people each companion and doctor is awesome in their own way and that’s part of what makes te show so great so can we please stop arguing and enjoy the whoness (I am aware that that is a word I made up :) ) of it all!!!!!

Comment by Baffled and frustrated – April 23, 2013 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hov can you list Tennant’s credits and not mention Breadchurch, which was amazing? It’s like you guys don’t even watch tv. :)

Comment by Tennant Fan – May 3, 2013 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post