Happy Endings Boss Teases Weddings & Break-Ups, Reacts to 'Odd' Save the Show Promo

Happy Endings Season 4Something ah-mah-zing is happening tonight at 8/7c on ABC: Happy Endings finally returns with new episodes!

But does the series’ recent two-month break and a move to dreaded Friday night spell doom for the ratings-challenged cult comedy?

PHOTOS | Happy Endings Season 3 Spoilers — Max’s Girlfriend Abby Elliott

“ABC truly loves the show and they tell us that all the time, and I completely believe them,” maintains executive producer David Caspe. However, television is a business, so “they have a lot of things to consider.” Still, he points out that “they obviously could have just canceled us and they haven’t. So I think it’s a testament that they’re trying to figure out a way to make it work.”

The network is even airing a “Save Happying Endings” promo, which may be a first for a bubble show.

“You got to hand it to them,” says Caspe. “That’s the most press that a promo has ever gotten that I’ve seen in my lifetime. … It’s quite effective. It might seem a little odd, but it’s kind of working.”

You know what else is effective in getting folks to tune in? The following scoop on this season’s remaining episodes, courtesy of the EP:

BABYNAPPING | Megan Mullally and Michael McKean return as Penny’s mom and Dave’s dad, respectively, and they’re still happily in love. In fact, “they’re actually thinking about adopting a baby, which throws Penny and Dave into a crazy tailspin that ends with them attempting to kidnap a baby.”

ANDY RICHTER TAKES BROADWAY | Well, maybe not so much takes Broadway as takes a Broadway legend’s rain gear. The Conan funny man plays Penny’s dad, who’s “been estranged from her ever since he left her as a baby with her mom to go pursue his Broadway dreams. But the closest he ever got to doing anything major on Broadway was accidentally stealing Stephen Sondheim’s umbrella at the door to Studio 54 because he thought it was a give-an-umbrella-take-an-umbrella situation.”

RELATED | May Sweeps Scorecard: Who’s Dying, Who’s Getting Hitched, Who’s Breaking Up and More!

Happy Endings Season 4LOVE AND HEARTBREAK | Alex and Dave “are in a good place, and they have a very major revelation in the finale,” while Penny and Pete’s engagement may be on the rocks as “the Year of Penny starts anew.” As for whether there will be more hints of feelings between pals Dave and Penny, “that you’ll just have to watch and see.”

IT’S ALL TALK | Ever wanted to get out all your feelings about your friends behind their backs? That’s what Alex and Jane do when RuPaul guest stars as their “longtime hairstylist who they talk s–t to constantly.” But their secret trash talk is uncovered when Max gets a haircut there and “gets that s–t talking out there, which triggers a gigantic fight between Alex and Jane.”

EVEN MORE GUEST STARS | Mark Paul Gosselaar is back in an attempt to ruin his former roomie Max’s life; David Alan Grier (In Living Color) plays Brad’s dreamer boss, who needs his employee’s business acumen to save the gym; and Stephanie March (Law & Order: Special Victims Unit) arrives as the third Kerkovich sister, who’s getting married to her own Brad, played by James Lesure (Las Vegas), in the season finale. When the eldest sis is around, “Jane becomes Alex, but Alex stays the baby,” and her nuptials send Jane “into a tailspin.”

NIGHTTIME TEXTING | “Penny introduces Max to a very special, unique way to regain the power in a relationship. Max has just started dating a guy and, as everybody can relate to, Max over-texts the guy.” So Penny decides to let her friend in on her secret: “An outlawed, off-brand Mexican version of NyQuil. Basically, take that at 4 pm and go to bed early because nighttime is the hardest time not to text. This is a real thing based on something my sister did when she was single. … Obviously, it goes terribly wrong.” The romance with the texting guy doesn’t work out, but there are “some good Max plots with guys that he meets coming up.”

1. rebecca says:

Release the first few seasons on Netflix.. that could help with viewers. It’s how I started watching SOA and Parks & Rec. Happy Endings is my FAV comedy, keeping my fingers crossed.

2. Eric says:

Yay!!! Happy Endings is back!!! Finally!!! This is honestly the funniest show on television!!! No other sitcom makes me laugh out load besides Happy Endings

• Amiee says:

I know what you meant to say but “laugh out load” sounds so much like something Max would say to describe laughing till you made a mess in your pants that I’m going to pretend you did this on purpose

3. Scott says:

The Friday night slot rarely works out well for shows that aren’t on CBS. I love Happy Endings but if the worst case scenario does happen, I hope TBS can pick it up and pair it with Cougar Town – which TBS renewed for a 5th season! – or at the very least, Damon Wayans Jr returns to New Girl as Coach, who hasn’t been seen since the pilot. And I read somewhere Casey Wilson could be lined up to be the mother on HIMYM. Eliza Coupe will probably turn up on Cougar Town because she was on Scrubs. So if HE isn’t renewed, I hope the cast find new roles but it would be a shame to split up such a great ensemble.

• Justin says:

Eliza Coupe would be awesome on Cougar Town. She could move into the neighborhood and be a foil for Ellie!

• Amiee says:

She played a med-student on Scrubs. Maybe they could bring back that character instead and have her date Travis because I am really unhappy with the Lorrie/Travis thing. She is like his big sister.

• Jen says:

Agreed about Laurie/Travis. I know there are some people who like the pairing, but I don’t. I like them as friends or like a big sister. I don’t like that they’re embracing the romance with these two.

4. Ben says:

Back-to-back episodes! Can’t wait!

5. Belle says:

So how can we save this show when none of us are counted in the ratings??? Seriously, what steps do we need to take other than watching it or DVRing it everytime it’s on like we’ve been doing since it started???

• Belle says:

Just a gimmick to blame the viewers for the show getting canceled. Put it back on Wednesday nights and kick The Neighbors to Fridays!!!!

• Drizz says:

Hell to the NO!
        As much as I love Happy Endings, The Neighbors is the most intelligently written half hour on TV currently. If you don’t get it, sorry, you just don’t get it.
        That said, Do save H.E.!

• Tvfan2011 says:

The Neighbors is already over anyway. The season finale was on Tuesday.

• Tvfan2011 says:

And by Tuesday I meant Wednesday

• Belle says:

Oh I get it alright…but it’s no Happy Endings which I feel deserves that time slot more, just my opinion so no need to get angry – I just want to know what we can do to save it other than watching it as we have been for 2+ years…My TV doesn’t count in their ratings so there is no way if I tune all my TV’s to it tonight that it’ll make a bit of difference that’s what is so sad!!!

6. Ellen says:

ABC’s “Save Happy Endings” promo shows that ABC doesn’t understand how to mobilize a fandom. You don’t say, “Here audience – save your show.” The network is supposed to promote and support THEIR show. When a network tells fans to “save the show,” they are already stepping back from it and disavowing ownership of it. That’s not a good sign.

Consider Fox’s “Death Slot Promo” for Fringe a few years back. That was an example of a network not saying “Here fans – save your show,” but the network saying, “*We’re* going to make this show work on Fridays – come along with us.” It totally gave the fans confidence that Fox cared about Fringe, despite the scary move to Fridays. The result? Fringe survived long enough on Fridays (2 seasons) to be granted a proper ending – a very positive outcome considering the show’s low ratings.

7. Fabe says:

I love Happy Endings and hope that people watch!!!!! Let there be another Year of Penny!!

8. schu says:

Love Happy Endings! So glad for fresh episodes! Save this show!

9. Dane says:

I hope this show makes it. I love it.

I do NOT – however – love Dave and Penny as a couple or possible couple. I just think it’s so wrong. Friends first.. Penny can’t snake Alex like that! Even IF Dave and Alex were over it would just be wrong in my mind. I couldn’t get behind it.

Poor Pete.. the only one who isn’t completely self centered – he was never going to last!

10. Rob Watkins says:

I’m sorry but I’m not a fan of “Am-ah-zing”, it’s annoying. I like Dave and Alex together and would rather they not go any further with the Dave/Penny attraction.

• Justin says:

I kind of liked the Dave/Penny attraction at first but now I agree that Dave and Alex belong together. Expecially since the writers are progressively making them dumber as the show goes on.

11. megs says:

Funniest show on television. I took ABC’s “save happy endings” thing as a positive at first, but I don’t know… I still think its leaning toward cancellation. I don’t think it’s completely DOA, though so I’m keeping hope alive!
    That said, I’m just gonna enjoy the hell out of the rest of this season. Love that there are a couple of Kerkovich sister story lines coming up- they’re exactly like my sister and I, so it’s fun to relate to them. Sad that penny’s relationship doesn’t work out, but I feel like there’s more comedy potential in her staying single.

12. John says:

Sadly pre-empted in the DC region tonight. Apparently not the only market not airing it until Sunday afternoon. Not ah-mah-zing.

13. Drizz says:

You know, as much as I like the show, I will say season 3 hasn’t been as good as 1 and 2, it feels *too* “in-jokey” to the point that even the viewer is sort of left out. It’s like they juwst decided to go balls-out silly.

14. Ella says:

I love this show so much. I really hope it stays. Season 3 hasn’t been as good as seasons 1 and 2 but I still adore it, it’s hysterical.

15. Mikael says:

I have a feeling ABC is doing this so they can say “Well, we tried to save it and it didn’t work.” But they flat out removed Don’t Trust the B and kept Happy Endings, so maybe they really do like the show and want it to succeed. But it’s a tough show to market. It doesn’t belong in the TGIF slot.

16. brian skeet says:

best show ever love it. the kind of show that friends wanted to be but never was

• Robbie says:

Nah, Friends was still better. I enjoy Happy Endings, but Friends didn’t have a weak link, whereas I’m not fond of Penny.

17. I want to implement fruta planta tablets….will they result my possibilities of aquiring a little one?