American Idol: What Should the Top 7 Sing for 'Classic Rock, No Ballads' Week?

american-idol-classic-rock-no-balladsNo, this is not an April Fool’s Day joke: American Idol has cooked up a fun, fresh theme for next Wednesday’s Top 7 performance episode.

Yeah, I kinda wish Nigel Lythgoe & Co. hadn’t added the “Classic” modifier to “Classic Rock, No Ballads” night — why not let the kids go current, if they’re so inclined? — but still, we won’t get seven consecutive ballads. (What-what?) And as long as Nigel isn’t maniacally offering a meager list of 15 or 20 pre-approved songs, it’s a pretty broad theme, too, with plenty of opportunities for brilliance and/or catastrophe.

RELATED | American Idol Season 12 Top 8 Results Recap: Did the Right Singer Go Home?

Because I already spend half my day daydreaming about The House That Kelly Clarkson Built, here’s my dream set list for the episode. (And yeah, I’m not sure if some of those ’80s ditties qualify as “classic,” but they’re mostly older than Idol‘s desired screaming-teen demo, so I figured “why not?!”)

RELATED | Ratings: Modern Family and Nashville Return Down, Arrow Slips, Idol Hits a Low

Burnell Taylor: Mungo Jerry’s “In the Summertime” or Donovan’s “Sunshine Superman

Janelle Arthur: Three Dog Night’s “One (Is the Loneliest Number)” or Guns N’ Roses’ “Paradise City

Lazaro Arbos: Bruce Springsteen’s “Tunnel of Love” or INXS’ “Need You Tonight

Amber Holcomb: John Mellencamp’s “Paper in Fire” or Prince’s “When Doves Cry

Angie Miller: Pat Benatar’s “All Fired Up” or Yes’s “Owner of a Lonely Heart

Candice Glover: The Rolling Stones’ “Gimme Shelter” or Fleetwood Mac’s “Gold Dust Woman

Kree Harrison: Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers’ “Don’t Do Me Like That” or Don Henley’s “Dirty Laundry

What do you think of my picks for “Classic Rock, No Ballads” night? Genius? Deranged? Worthy of a crisp slap? Sound off in the comments, then sound off with your the fruits of your own brainstorm! And for all my Idol news, interviews, recaps and commentary, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Comments (175)

• “GImme Shelter” for Candice is brilliant, although I wonder if it would be a bit too similar to her last two performances to stand out for her. I wish contestants got all of the themes ahead of time because Candice did a rock song two weeks ago and then did a sort of blues/rock version of her song this week, so now next week’s theme won’t be as fresh for her as the others.

Comment by Matt – March 29, 2013 07:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’d like to see her maybe cover Red Hot Chilli Peppers’ “Give It Away”. Not sure if it falls under the umbrella of classic rock, but it’s an awesome song, and she’d kill it.

Comment by Trouty Mouth – March 29, 2013 10:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They do actually know at least 1 week in advance what the next theme will be and they pick their songs which very often the outed Idol will tell what they’d planned to do for the next theme week.

Comment by Angel – March 30, 2013 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, it is kinda stupid how Nigel is doing all this. First, it’s Beatles week, which is classic rock, then it’s Motown week, and finally it’s back to classic rock week. What is an R&B or country singer supposed to do?

BTW, aren’t Tunnel of Love and Gold Dust Woman ballads?

Comment by Lee – March 31, 2013 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Somebody to Love (Jefferson Airplane) would be great for Candice or Kree — they could slay the high notes. I would love it if Burnell would sing something from Damn the Torpedoes (one of my favorite albums).

Comment by Scott – March 29, 2013 07:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • AGREED

Comment by just saying – March 29, 2013 07:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Also took my words away. I’ve been commenting that someone should do Grace Slick for years now.

Comment by gregk – March 29, 2013 08:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, yes, YES! Kree in particular would be awesome.

Comment by CK – March 31, 2013 05:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My, my, no ballads night. Where have I heard that suggestion before? :)

It’s about time! Here’s hoping for a good one (or at least an entertaining one) next week…

Comment by Blinged Up – March 29, 2013 07:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I never know any of these songs you pick, Michael.

Comment by Kenya – March 29, 2013 07:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • and Paradise City would be an awful choice for anyone. Total Karaoke moment.

Comment by just saying – March 29, 2013 07:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah but then you look them up and discover great music. Thanks!

Comment by sg54 – March 29, 2013 07:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would murder for Amber to do When Doves Cry, but I don’t think Prince lets Idol use his music.

Comment by TB – March 29, 2013 07:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No, Prince is tight with his catalog. I was stunned when he deigned to appear at the finale in season 5.

Comment by deedee – March 29, 2013 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Since when it When Doves Cry rock? there isn’t even a guitar on that song!

Comment by JASon – March 29, 2013 08:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I had the same thought with Donovan’s “Sunshine Superman”…Donovan? Rock??

Comment by The Beach – March 30, 2013 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • LOL. Holy cow, when I think of Classic Rock I do NOT think of Donovan. Doesn’t he fall in the Folk music category? Or something similar.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – April 1, 2013 08:39 AM PDT
          • And Mungo Jerry? WTH ever happened to him, anyway?

Comment by darcy's evil twin – April 1, 2013 09:21 AM PDT
          • Check out “Barabajagal” by Donovan…Jeff Beck is wailing on guitar near the end of the song.

Comment by Var – April 3, 2013 06:52 AM PDT
    • Exactly, Prince would not let Idol clear his music. Last year, Jessica Sanchez wanted to do “How Come You Don’t Call Me Anymore” (which she later performed in their tour), which was written and originally sung by him.

Comment by JR – March 29, 2013 08:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anything Tom Petty would be great for Kree! I think Janelle could add her own spin on “Jack and Diane” that would be pretty great.

Comment by Lauren – March 29, 2013 07:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Both of these are interesting choices.

Comment by just saying – March 29, 2013 07:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FREEBIRD!

Comment by just saying – March 29, 2013 07:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • In 90 seconds?

Comment by The Beach – March 30, 2013 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think you missed the joke. :-)

Comment by Joy – March 30, 2013 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael I think Uncle Nigel is listening to you! Now get him to clear more and better songs!!

Comment by Valerie – March 29, 2013 07:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Or “more better” songs. ;)
      But seriously, I honestly thought it was just more of the running joke/lament in this room when I saw the “No Ballads” addendum to the theme. Do not tell me that it was serendipitous that Uncle Nigel just “happened” to include that based on his own observations! No way! Either Michael’s not telling us he’s on the AI Payroll or Uncle Nig has figured out where to look for the best & brightest AI insight!!

Comment by MamaLis – March 30, 2013 10:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just want to say first it sucks Devin had to go. It was like it was written in the stars before he even chose his song that week. Anyhoo if he was still there I had “Only the good die young” by Billy Joel for him.
    Candice-Superstition by Stevie Wonder
    Kree-Some kind of wonderful by Grand funk
    Burnell-Jamming by Bob Marley
    Angie-Hit me with your best shot by Pat Benatar
    Lazaro-Rock the casbah by The Clash
    Janell-Crazy little thing called love by Queen
    Amber-Free Ride by Edgar

Comment by Johnny – March 29, 2013 07:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ooo, I like Free Ride for Amber, even though it’s a cheesy song. It’s melodic, and she needs that for her voice to shine.
      Superstition and Crazy Little Thing Called Love — overdone.

Comment by deedee – March 29, 2013 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes Superstition and Crazy little thing are overdone. Just trying to be a little realistic of what songs they may have at theiir disposal and what I think will fit thheiir personalities best as well as be easy for them to pick up and do with all the other things they have to do there in a weeks time.

Comment by Johnny – March 29, 2013 05:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Absolutely agree.

Comment by Brenda – March 29, 2013 05:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You picked the better Pat Benatar for Angie, but I’d actually go Heartbreaker. Anything from her, though, would really suit Angie well.

Comment by Ben – March 29, 2013 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Heartbreaker is pretty awesome too. I chose Hit me though because I think with the natural way she poses, smiles, and gestures when singing it can work with a little sex appeal in that song.

Comment by Johnny – March 29, 2013 05:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Please not “Only The Good Die Young”. I’m still recovering from Deandre doing it last season.

Comment by Trouty Mouth – March 29, 2013 10:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh, and on the topic of past alums wouldn’t it be great since its a girls year and all if they were to reunite the 3 divas of season 3 with all the controversy that went on with them not making up the top 3 that year? I specially want to hear Latoya London voice again and see what she been up to. Also how about letting Laz sing with Sanjaya so that Sanjaya can take a break from singing on the subways? I also want to see Doolittle,Syesha Mercado,Pia,Justin Guarini,TaMyra Gray,Constantine to name a few.

Comment by Johnny – March 30, 2013 04:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Superstition – Classic Rock?

Comment by forwarddad – March 29, 2013 08:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s been done too much already. I don’t think it would be a good move for her anyway.

Comment by MB – March 29, 2013 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • One thing I think we should have noticed with Candidates so far is that she not going to try to be anything outside of what she just is. Plus with her own admission I feel being a shy type, I think she will likely do Superstition and slaughter it once and for all if she had it available to her this week.

Comment by Johnny – March 29, 2013 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • There’s also Stevie Wonder’s “Higher Ground”, which has a rock edge, and is not overdone like “Superstition”. Candice can do that one justice.

Comment by deedee – March 29, 2013 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Stevie Wonder is funk! Not rock! MAybe if they do the Red Hot CHili Peppers Funk rock version!

Comment by JASon – March 29, 2013 08:43 PM PDT
    • Do a search on 500 greatest classic rock songs and you will find Superstition on that list.

Comment by Johnny – March 29, 2013 05:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Superstition is a fantastic song .. no doubt about it….. but …. is one of the songs that should be laid to rest on AI because it’s been done, done and overdone for many years now.

Comment by Brenda – March 29, 2013 05:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Frankly, I think they need to lay their whole musiic department or whoever is choosing the songs and themes to rest because they are killing the show, really. I love the fact that they went to a rockk theme even though pretty much none of the singers up there strike us as a rocker. It makes it more interesting, even though, I have a crazy feeling that Charlie would have kicked butt on this theme week ijs.

Comment by Johnny – March 30, 2013 12:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Someone could try Stevie Ray Vaughn’s cover of “Superstition.”

Comment by houster – March 30, 2013 01:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Best suggestion so far. It’s more blues than classic rock, though, IMO.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – April 1, 2013 09:23 AM PDT
  • If they were going to pick a week where they couldn’t sing a ballad I’m not sure this is the greatest week to do it, but that said, I’m happy they’ve chosen that theme.

Comment by Damien Roberts (@dam744) – March 29, 2013 08:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes! Rock ballads are the least boring ballads. At least that would give some variety. They should have done a “current music, no ballad” kind of week as its own theme. That way, Janelle could go country, Burnell could do R&B, etc., and we’d get different genres without ballads.

Comment by Markus – March 29, 2013 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yeah, you’re basically taking away almost everything Heart did in the 80s with this theme. Which, with an almost all female cast, would’ve been great for them to sing. But….

Comment by Julie Taylor Says – March 29, 2013 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kree Harrison- Pat Benatar’s “Promises in the Dark”

Comment by Michael Rabara – March 29, 2013 08:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amber – “Sweet Child O’ Mine” (Guns N’ Roses)
    Candice – “Cryin’” (Aerosmith) . . . if this is considered a ballad, then “We’re Not Gonna Take It” (Twisted Sister)
    Angie – “Piece Of My Heart” (Janis Joplin)
    Janelle – “Crazy On You” (Heart)
    Kree – “Dreams” (Fleetwood Mac) [stripped down]
    Burnell – “One” (U2) . . . if this is considered a ballad, then “Come Sail Away” (Styx)
    Lazaro – “Love Is A Battlefield” (Pat Benatar)

Comment by Jake – March 29, 2013 08:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “Dreams” is a ballad. Kree would be better of with “Sara”, “The Chain”, or “Gold Dust Woman” (Michael got one right).

Comment by houster – March 30, 2013 01:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I disagree that “Dreams” is a ballad. I like all of these picks.

Comment by Amy – March 30, 2013 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • These are great picks – sorry MS

Comment by Wendy L – March 30, 2013 05:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There’s bound to be a Queen song or two on a “classic” rock night. Not much change at all

Comment by Christina – March 29, 2013 08:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amber looks gorgeous in that picture.

Comment by Pati D – March 29, 2013 08:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed! Ever since they removed that god-awful streak from her hair, she has looked incredible!

Comment by Jake – March 29, 2013 08:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know i’m going to Hell for saying this, but Lazaro doing “Movin’ Out” from Billy Joel would be an Idol moment like none other.

Comment by Joe – March 29, 2013 08:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m going there with you, because this comment made me sputter my coffee! :D

Comment by BrazenSongBird – March 29, 2013 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • We’re so doomed. Dress light.

Comment by Joe – March 29, 2013 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There’s better songs than “Movin Out” for that epic type moment. “You Ain’t Seen Nothin’ Yet” by Bachman Turner Overdrive would be at the top of my list. Add Phil Collins’s “Susuddio” and “Crimson and Clover” by Tommy James and The Shondells.

Comment by houster – March 30, 2013 01:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Su-Su-Sudio… that’s just cruel! :O

Me likey! :D

Comment by whosays – March 30, 2013 08:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh, houster, we are all going to H-E-doubletoothpicks and you get a Made Me Laugh! :-)

Comment by darcy's evil twin – April 1, 2013 09:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Made Me Laugh, Joe! :-)

Comment by darcy's evil twin – April 1, 2013 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this theme. This is a theme they could repeat every year!

Comment by teatime – March 29, 2013 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This might be a little too obvs, but with that gorgeous upper register, Kree must do some old school Heart. Maybe Barracuda or Magic Man.

And I’d love for Candice to have at some Jefferson Airplane. Or really go off on some of the Doors. “Light my Fire”?

Janelle? She could continue the cool, sexy vibe she’s got going now and sing “Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around”.

Amber needs to “get crazy” on a song, so I’d love to see her tackle “Me and Bobby McGee”.

This is a little more obscure, but Angie’s voice reminds me of Annie Haslam’s from Renaissance. So going a little Boho might be good for her, since the sexy strut doesn’t seem to work. Also, she could lend some real drama to “Ashes are Burning”.

Even though it’s been done quite a bit, I think Burnell’s tone would work well on Bohemian Rhapsody.

Lazaro: I really don’t know at this point. I’m at a loss.

Comment by BrazenSongBird – March 29, 2013 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh, I am so there with Heart for Kree, and I was thinking of Magic Man for her last night. Perfect.

Lazaro can do the Jose Feliciano version of Light My Fire.

Comment by deedee – March 29, 2013 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You two beat me to the punch. Magic man would be perfect for Kree.

Comment by Elsa – March 29, 2013 09:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OMG! You read my mind. As I was scrolling down the comments I kept thinking that Renaissance would be wonderful with this group of women!
      But please, do not let Lazaro do anything by INXS. I have always loved Michael Hutchence’s voice and I just do not want to hear that!

Comment by Molly – March 29, 2013 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Please no Bohemian Rhapsody. It’s layers are too myriad to be cut off. That’s why no matter how well a contestant sings that song, it would always be underwhelming to me.

Comment by Adam Fachry – March 29, 2013 04:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If Kree does Heart, she should sing “Straight On”.

Comment by houster – March 30, 2013 02:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want Kree to do Crazy on You by Heart and Candice to do Separate Ways by Journey

Comment by Landon Cox (@bluinjewin) – March 29, 2013 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I LOVE these choices for Candice and Kree.

Comment by Jake – March 29, 2013 10:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES X 10000

Comment by noa – March 30, 2013 05:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lazaro could take the Speed Racer theme song:
    Go, Speed Racer!
    Go, Speed Racer!
    Go, Speed Racer, go^o^o^oh!
    (repeat)
    Admittedly it does not entirely fit the theme, but he’s likely to remember the words.
    (Sorry to be mean. I like the guy as a person, but as a professional singer, well, it ain’t gonna happen. Two have already left when he should have gone — sympathy vote being what it is. Devin likely got booted as a direct result of Lazaro not knowing the words for their group song. My sympathy has lapsed.)

Comment by rwfblog – March 29, 2013 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • lol. Maybe he could do, “Crimson and Clover, over and over, Crimson and Clover, over and over.”

Comment by teatime – March 29, 2013 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Nope, that’s a ballad! Uncle Nigel won’t let it happen next week.

Comment by Lisa – March 29, 2013 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Queen Bitch by David Bowie —- Amber, not because she’s bitch, but because she’d rock it.

Voodoo Chile by Jimi Hendrix—-Candice, she’d kill it.

Purple Haze by Jimi Hendrix—–Angie, because it’d make me laugh.

Don’t Eat the Yellow Snow by Zappa—–Lazaro. The song’s a joke and so is Lazaro.

Sweet Home Alabama by the group I can’t spell the name of—–Burnell. Louisiana is close to Alabama.

Like Rolling Stone by Bob Dylan—-Kree. I don’t know why. They have two freakin’ hours, so let the kid sing a great song.

Old Time Rock and Roll by Bob Seger—Janelle. Why not?

Comment by Joey – March 29, 2013 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Haha, Amber would be sure to win over voters by choosing a song called “Queen Bitch.”

Comment by Amy – March 29, 2013 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think they should all stay with recent songs if they can.Maybe some Daughtry or Whitestripes(I think I’d love to hear Angie do this)or Evanescence?

Comment by Shaun – March 29, 2013 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • White Stripes? Can Kree sing “Icky Thump”? Can Lazaro sing “I Don’t Know What To Do With Myself”?

Comment by houster – March 30, 2013 02:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank goodnes Uncle Nigel has realized that we need more uptempo songs! Clearly banning ballads is the only way to ensure that this will happen. Though with two weeks in a row of older songs, I was hoping that they’d get to do more current stuff this week, so I wish it wasn’t restricted to “classic” rock songs. Oh well, you have to pick your battles I guess!

Comment by sdexta – March 29, 2013 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kree – I Love Rock and Roll. Show a little sassy, rocker chick vibe.

Comment by JKR – March 29, 2013 09:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You really want rocker chick vibe, then Kree should sing “Bad Reputation.”

Comment by houster – March 30, 2013 02:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This going to be a very interesting week. There are a couple of contestants that don’t know or do anything but ballads. I can’t wait to see how they do. I think Kree and Candice are going to shine next week. Though we may see sides of some of the others we never imagined possible.

Comment by MB – March 29, 2013 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ok, my attempt at Rock picks for the group:
    Burnell – “Steamroller” – James Taylor
    Lazaro – “Light My Fire”, Jose Feliciano version
    Angie – “We Belong”, Pat Benatar
    Janelle – “One Way Or Another”, Blondie
    Amber – “Heartbreaker”, Pat Benatar
    Kree – “Magic Man” – Heart
    Candice – “Brass In Pocket”, The Pretenders

Comment by deedee – March 29, 2013 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I freakin’ love the idea of Candace doing “Brass in Pocket”. Great idea.

Comment by Brenda – March 29, 2013 05:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Better Pretenders songs: “Don’t Get Me Wrong”, “Middle Of The Road”, “Mystery Achievement.” I’d vote two hours straight for the contestant who sings one of those three.

Comment by houster – March 30, 2013 02:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like your suggestion for Janelle, deedee.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – April 1, 2013 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • American Idol needs to dump Nicky. Who tell a contest to flat out get off the stage and the things she say behooves a judge, she does not give fair judgments to a singer she flat out insults people , bring back last year’s judges

Comment by gary – March 29, 2013 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Good Lord, man. She is the best thing on that judging panel. She knows exactly what she believes and she’s not afraid to say it. Kudos to her. And as for the judges last year ……. I consider the use of the term “judge” to describe them very loosely. They rarely critiqued anything. Everyone’s song was “beautiful”. They rarely ever constructively criticized anyone .. even when they obviously had a bad day. It was beyond irritating. Give me a judge who knows how to compliment as well as how to constructively criticize anytime. Sure Nicki was frustrated with the trio’s song, but damn, they really did sing like Hollywood week. It was like a bad high school glee performance. She called it as she saw it and I think she’s a refreshing voice on that panel. Praise to the judges who actually JUDGE.

Comment by Brenda – March 29, 2013 05:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thank you Brenda. I couldn’t have said it better myself.

Comment by Lisa – March 29, 2013 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • #TeamLeftSide!!!

Comment by JR – March 29, 2013 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Plus she calls out Randy and Keith on their BS and pretty much ignores Mariah (which has got to be driving her crazy) while completely showing her up. Mariah is awful though. She needs to go with one thought. Not 10 thoughts in a row and keep telling the contestants to stick with what they do every time they try something new.

The bussing of Angie started last night. She was very good yet got criticized!

Comment by JASon – March 29, 2013 08:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • You call legitimate, well-deserved criticism “bussing”?

Comment by deedee – March 29, 2013 11:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t call them Judges. They’re Stooges, because they mostly act asi nstructed by the Producers. Besides, on the original panel, Moe fit Simon like a glove, Curly fit Paula, and Randy was Larry by default.

Comment by houster – March 30, 2013 02:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d love to hear Candice do “Let Me Entertain You” by Queen. Damn that would be amazing.

Comment by Mellie – March 29, 2013 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ooh, and Janelle doing People Are Strange by The Doors.

Comment by Mellie – March 29, 2013 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No, Lazaro would have to sing that. Janelle can sing “Waiting For The Sun.”

Comment by houster – March 30, 2013 02:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dirty Laundry for Kree Harrison? Michael, what planet do you live on? Also, “When Doves Cry” by Prince is hardly classic rock. Definition, please.

Comment by karen – March 29, 2013 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What part of when doves cry isn’t classic rock? It’s over 25 yrs old so definitely classic and Prince rocks it pretty hard.

Comment by The Brad – March 29, 2013 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought that Dirty Laundry was the ONLY song choice that made any sense.

Comment by Leah Hoffman – March 29, 2013 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Janelle–Caught Up In You, .38 Special; Jack and Diane, John (Cougar!) Mellencamp; I’ve Got a Rock & Roll Heart, Eric Clapton

Burnell–Late in the Evening, Paul Simon (except he’d have no idea who Paul Simon is) or Brown-Eyed Girl, Van Morrison

Kree–Waitin’ On A Friend, Stones; The Waiting, Tom Petty; Winning, Santana

Candice–Glory Days or Hungry Heart, Bruce; Down on the Corner, CCR; Summer of ’69, Brian Adams

Amber–Edge of Seventeen, Stevie Nicks; Shadows of the Night, Pat Benatar

Angie–Come Sail Away, Styx; Give A Little Bit, Supertramp; Say That You Love Me, Fleetwood Mac

Lazaro–Rock and Roll All Night, Kiss (very few lyrics); Just A Gigalo, David Lee Roth :)

Girls’ Trio encore–Queen, Somebody to Love

Comment by ali427 – March 29, 2013 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know why people are having a hard time finding something for Lazaro. Bachman Turner Overdrive’s “You Ain’t Seen Nothing Yet” would be perfect.

Comment by ThatBob – March 29, 2013 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • …Ha. All the internets for you, sir.

Comment by Mellie – March 29, 2013 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Excellent, ThatBob!
      Runner-up choices: “My Generation” by The Who; and “Bad To The Bone” by George Thorogood ;)

Comment by deedee – March 29, 2013 12:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • We are all going to Hell in a H-h-h-handbasket!

Comment by darcy's evil twin – April 1, 2013 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • And don’t forget The Kinks’ “Lola”. L-L-L-L- Lola.
        Packing my flame retardant suit now…

Comment by darcy's evil twin – April 1, 2013 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know what you people have been watching Wednesdays evenings, but it sure hasn’t been season 12 of AI. There is no originality on this cast or this show. You are going to hear the same tired songs that are heard every year. Forget the “no ballads” qualification. If I know anything about this season, it will be ALL BALLADS.

I can’t predict the singers, but here are the songs (including group numbers):

Elton John – Don’t Let the Sun Go Down on Me
    Heart – Alone
    Billy Joel – New York State of Mind
    Phil Collins – Against All Odds
    Aerosmith – I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing
    Janis Joplin – Me and Bobby McGee
    Journey – Don’t Stop Believin
    Foreignor – I Want to Know What Love Is
    Bob Seger – Against the Wind
    Jackson Brown – Doctor My Eyes

Comment by Mark – March 29, 2013 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Against All Odds, Don’t Stop Believing, and Don’t Want to Miss A thing belong on the list of “songs that have been done ad nauseum” to me. I hope to never ever hear these again on Idol.

Comment by Brenda – March 29, 2013 05:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This thread makes me happy. Now I have all these great tunes running around in my head.

Comment by teatime – March 29, 2013 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If we’re stretching the years of classic rock to include older stuff i would love breaking the girl by RHCP for kree

Comment by stm – March 29, 2013 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Uhm, let’s see.

Amber: Fire – Bruce Springsteen (The Pointer Sisters cover)
    Angie: You Give Love a Bad Name – Bon Jovi (Demi Lovato’s version) or Knockin on Heaven’s Door – Bob Dylan?
    Burnell: Walk This Way – Aerosmith or Are You Gonna Go My Way? – Lenny Kravitz
    Candice: Whole Lotta Love – Led Zeppelin (Tina Turner cover)
    Janelle: I Hate Myself for Loving You – Joan Jett & the Blackhearts
    Kree: Piece of my Heart – Janis Joplin (Faith Hill cover) or Sweet Home Alabama – Lynyrd Skynyrd (Jewel cover)
    Lazaro: One – U2 (but that’s a ballad), Somebody to Love – Queen. I have no idea, I’m sorry.

I can’t see them doing the more “obscure” choices, if you know what I mean.
    But I’m hoping for the best. Hello everyone, please take risks. Thank you.

Comment by whatshouldbe – March 29, 2013 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Demi Lovato has a version of Bon Jovi’s “You Give Love a Bad Name”? If you want to be classic, stick to the original.

Comment by duranmom – March 29, 2013 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Demi has a version, but it was live. They don’t necessarily have to adapt the classic rock way of singing the songs. They can make it their own. I think Angie can do that pop version of that rock song justice.

Actually, I Hate Myself for Loving You seems a better fit for Kree.

Comment by whatshouldbe – March 29, 2013 11:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OMG. Lazaro can sing the Robin Williams version of “Fire” as Elmer Fudd!

And, if he sings a U2 song, it has to be “Sunday Bloody Sunday” or “Pride In The Name of Love.”

Amanda Overmyer retired “I Hate Myself For Loving You.”

Please, no Piece of My Heart, especially the Faith Hill cover. Way overdone.

Comment by houster – March 30, 2013 02:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Candice: Rod Stewart “Jane” she would rock it out …
    Amber: Fleetwood Mac “Go Your Own Way”
    Angie: Pat Benetar “Love Is A Battlefield”
    Burnell: Michael Franti “Say Hey I Love You” cool vibe for Burnell
    Lazaro: Huey Lewis “Power of Love” or Eddie Money “Shakin”
    Janelle: Jessie James “Wanted”
    Kree: Heart “Magic Man” or Joan Jett “I Hate Myself For Loving You” Kree has a strong upper register to sing these song!!!

GOOD LUCK to all contestants on ROCK WEEK my favorite genre of music …

Comment by JP – March 29, 2013 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Angie Miller – “Call Me When You’re Sober”, Evanescence
    Amber Holcomb – “Edge Of Seventeen”, Stevie Nicks
    Burnell Taylor – “Folsom Prison Blues”, Johnny Cash
    Candice Glover – “Cry Baby”, Janis Joplin
    Janelle Arthur – “Have You Ever Seen The Rain”, Credence Clearwater Revival
    Kree Harrison – “Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door”, Bob Dylan
    Lazaro Arbos – “Waiting For A Girl Like You”, Foreigner

Comment by JR – March 29, 2013 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “Waiting For A Girl Like You” is a ballad. Lazaro should sing “Hot Blooded”, “Jukebox Hero”, “Head Ganes”, or “It Feels Like The First Time”.

Comment by houster – March 30, 2013 02:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Angie should definitely sing an Evanescence song!!! I’d prefer “Everybody’s Fool”, though.

Comment by Mafs95 – April 2, 2013 04:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does Friday I’m In Love count as a ballad? I think Lazaro could do that on well.
    I think Candice will want something gospel-ly after Nikki told her to go back to that…

Comment by robinlemke – March 29, 2013 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nigel is reaching out to his younger viewers with this theme…meaning the 50 year olds.

Comment by Timmah – March 29, 2013 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank God NO ballads – so many are sung that I am falling asleep!!! How about Proud Mary???? I’m talking THAT type of tempo!!! Let’s pick it up boys & girls ….. and remember the words!!! Good luck!

Comment by soxfan – March 29, 2013 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Proud Mary needs to be banned from Idol.

Comment by deedee – March 29, 2013 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Candice – Tom Waits’ Big Black Mariah or David Bowie’s Moonage Daydream (the latter would probably be too R-rated for Idol though)
    Amber – Led Zeppelin’s Misty Mountain Hop
    Janelle – Neil Young’s Southern Man
    Angie – U2′s Where The Streets Have No Name
    Lazaro – Something not so bombastic like Queen’s Crazy Little Thing Called Love
    Burnell – Fleetwood Mac’s You Make Loving Fun
    Kree – AC/DC’s Shoot To Thrill

Comment by Adam Fachry – March 29, 2013 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What do people make of Nicki blasting Devin on twitter? I guess we shouldn’t be surprised she has no class considering the footage of her going off on Mariah.

Comment by Matt – March 29, 2013 04:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What did she say?

Comment by Adam Fachry – March 29, 2013 05:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll pretend “classic rock” just means rock that uses the same style as the 70s and 80s and actually choose some current songs.

Candice – Ain’t No Rest for the Wicked

Kree – Bring Me To Life by Evanescence (Moment material)

Angela – Move Along by All-American Rejects

Amber – Flourescent Adolescent by Arctic Monkeys

Janelle – Home by Edward Sharpe

Burnell – Short Skirt/Long Jacket by Cake

But if they’re stuck to U2, Rolling Stones, Fleetwood Mac etc. these will do:

Candice – Surrender by Cheap Trick

Kree – Try (Just A Little Bit Harder) by Janis Joplin

Angela – Heartbreaker by Pat Benatar

Amber – Roxanne by the Police

Janelle – Rag Doll by Aerosmith

Burnell – Here I Go Again by Whitesnake

Comment by Harvey – March 29, 2013 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • FYI, “Ain’t No Rest For The Wicked” is a song by Cage The Elephant.

Comment by houster – March 30, 2013 02:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d love to hear Angie Miller sing Pat Benatar! That would suit her perfectly.

Comment by Leah Hoffman – March 29, 2013 05:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Burnell: Joe Walsh “All Night Long” Or Michael Franti & Spearhead “Say Hey I Love You”
    Lazaro: Don Henley “Dirty Laundry” or Huey Lewis “Power of Love”
    Amber: Shandi “Manhunt” from flashdance
    Candice: Bon Jovi “It’s My Life”
    Angie: Chrissie Hynde “Angel In The Morning” or Pat Benetar “Love is a Battlefield”
    Janelle: Stevie Nicks “Leather and Lace”
    Kree: Pat Benetar “FIRE and ICE” Kree would bang this song out with her great voice Or Heart “Magic Man”

ROCK is the hands down the biggest/widest genre of music and my favorite! GOOD LUCK to all the contestants especially Kree my favorite to win this year (ړײ) (ړײ)

Comment by JP – March 29, 2013 05:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Your picks are fine except for Burnell. both of those songs are practically ballads they’re so slow and laid back…………. rock……….. they need to ROCK!

Comment by Brenda – March 29, 2013 05:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 80s U2 are the king of ambiguous ballads. They’re adept at delivering torch songs that are construction-wise, uptempo. Given how badly Angie butechered uptempo rock-esque arrangement with Shop Around, I’m starting to doubt her ability to do straight-up uptempo, that’s why I picked one of U2′s most deceptive song ever in terms of the “ballad or not” notion, “Where The Streets Have No Name”. i also doubt Janelle’s ability to perform uptempo songs, that’s why a midtempo tune like Neil Young’s Southern Man (which also suits her roots really well), would do her justice.

Comment by Adam Fachry – March 29, 2013 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just want a week for “no slow songs” None. None. Absolutely none. Nothing that even smells like a ballad. Not one that is slow in nature. Nada. (I can dream can’t I?)

Comment by Brenda – March 29, 2013 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amber is amazing, everyone please listen closely, she is the best singer in the competition and it should be a showdown between amber and candice

Comment by Jake – March 29, 2013 08:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Candace – ANother Brick In the Wall – Pink Floyd

Angie – Angie – The Rolling Stones

Jannelle – Gimme All Your Loving – ZZ Top

Burnell – Rock N Roll – Led Zeppelin

Kree – Crazy On You – Heart

Amber – Light My Fire – The Doors

Lazaro – You Can Go Your Own Way – Fleetwood MAc

Comment by JASon – March 29, 2013 08:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Angie? Anything we slow danced to in high school is a ballad…

Comment by McJagger – March 30, 2013 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Here’s an idea for a theme night. Take a classic album like Sgt.Pepper, Thriller, Appetite For Destruction, Rumors and have the Idols cover the whole album!

Comment by JASon – March 29, 2013 08:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, that would be great. I once said that they should have a Beach Boys night, but if they can’t, a Pet Sounds night alone would already be brilliant

Comment by Adam Fachry – March 29, 2013 08:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How about Frank Zappa’s “Sheik Yerbouti”?

Comment by houster – March 30, 2013 02:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post