Ratings: Modern Family and Nashville Return Down, Arrow Slips, Idol Hits a Low

JULIE BOWEN, WENDI MCLENDON-COVEY, ERIC STONESTREETThe finale of ABC’s The Neighbors and NBC’s spin-off bait Chicago Fire were among the few shows to see ratings gains this Wednesday. Modern Family and five others, meanwhile, hit or tied season/series lows.

Going network-by-network….

ABC | The Middle opened the night with 6.8 million total viewers and a 1.8 rating, down 15 percent from its last fresh eppy and hitting a season low in the demo. The Neighbors‘ freshman finale did 5.5 mil/1.5, up 16 percent and a tenth week-to-week. Modern Family returned to 9 mil and a 3.2, down 15 and 18 percent to its lowest rating since November 2009 (yet beating Idol for the night). Suburgatory, finally with a fresh lead-in again, rose 27 percent to 5.4 mil/1.9. Nashville, opposite a CSI rerun, matched its most recent audience (5.14 mil) but ticked down a tenth to a series-low 1.5.

RELATED | Nashville Recap: A Dog Named Sue

CBS | Survivor (9.1 mil/2.4) dipped two tenths to match its series low.

NBC | Whitney’s double-episode finale (3.1 mil/1.0, 3.1 mil/1.1) was on par with last week’s season low. SVU (6.53 mil/1.7) saw gains of 19 percent and a tenth. Chicago Fire (6.9 mil/1.8) rose 8 percent and a tenth, matching the CSI repeat’s audience and winning the 10 o’clock hour in the demo.

RELATED | TVLine’s 2013 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled?

FOX | American Idol’s Top 8 sing-off drew 12 mil and a 3.1, down 7 and 14 percent and hitting an all-time demo low for a Wednesday show.

RELATED | American Idol Top 8 Recap: This Theme’s a Mystery, Every Contestant Must Stand Alone

THE CW | Arrow (2.6 mil/0.8) dropped 14 and 20 percent, Supernatural (2.25 mil/1.0) added a few eyeballs while steady in the demo.

Want scoop on any of the above shows? Email mattmtvguy@gmail.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. ollie says:

yay for supernatural and suburagtory

2. Justin says:

Yikes! Kind of a low night all around. Did I read that right? Did Modern Family beat Idol?

3. Ashley says:

So SPN is now the second highest rated show on the network, 8 seasons later

• Lena says:

A little premature to label it “second” highest rating show just because of one week.

• Ashley says:

it tied Arrow in the demo last week, and beat it this week. So, yes, as of right now SPN is the second highest rated show on the network

• Lena says:

It did tie with Arrow last week, but the week before that when arrow had a new episode, Feb. 27, it was above SPN in final ratings. What’s the point? When a show ties last week and only beats Arrow just one time, it does not mean it is the “second” highest rating show. If it beats Arrow more than once…fine. Right now, nothing. Feb. 27th final ratings. Arrow: 1.0, SPN: 0.9 Arrow has beat SPN many times. Hence, it is premature to say SPN is second.

• Lena says:

*Excuse me, the last time Arrow had a new episode (other than last week) it did beat SPN.

• The Arrow-Supernatural combo is a great one, so no need to get defensive or competitive. They’re both already renewed. :)

• Lena says:

I was trying to correct the wording in one of my sentences since there is no “edit” on posts here.

• Ashley says:

Not sure why you’re being defensive, since I wasn’t actually trying to put down Arrow (I’m a fan of both shows). My point was more like “wow, look at how well that old show is doing!”

• Lena says:

@Ashley: You did not see my remark above, did you? Plus, I have noticed that people misinterpret comments on the net all the time. In your case, you especially did. Making a point about ratings is not being defensive. Sorry, if you felt that way.

4. sarah says:

That is not good for Arrow, Modern or Nashville, but it is great news for Chicago Fire!

5. Gillian says:

Nashville was great last night! I wish there weren’t so many hiatuses for shows like Nashville, Revenge and OUAT. It has become tedious. Watch one or two episodes then the show is gone again for a series of weeks. You would think with so many replacements like Red Widow and The Anthony Edwards show, that the alphabet network would figure out how to air shows more consistently.

• Kathryn says:

This ^^^. I totally agree!

• Elyse says:

totally agree. they need to stop giving shows such big breaks. it isn’t good for them!

• Lisa says:

this It took a few minutes to figure out where the story was on Nashville after being off for 4 weeks. The episode before hiatus and this one were among the strongest of the series, but the momentum was broken. The impact would have had more impact had they been shown a week apart. Does anyone know why ABC is having the long breaks with OUAT,Revenge and Nashville? There has to be a strategy behind this program decision.

• Gail says:

No secret. They need fresh episodes for sweeps months November, February and May . That can be 14 episodes out of 22 to 24 produced for the season and only 8 to 10 shows for the other months of the year. Ether they run a show from January to May (Lost, 24) ,they have a Fall finale (Revolution, Grim) and stay of the air for months, or they mix reruns, fresh episodes, and specials (Once Upon A Time, Modern Family, Nashville) They can also have recap shows with old clips like Once Upon A Time will have the first week it next returns.

• Boiler says:

Also agree. There is so much evidence yet the networks doin’t seem to get it or don’t care and ABC seems to be the worst. At least both MF and Nashville do real well with DVR for whatever that is worth

6. eridapo says:

Horrible ratings all around.. MF down and with it the ABC lineup. Idol is close to going below a 3 for a Wednesday show which could happen in as little as two weeks. NBC is NBC.

7. Elyse says:

YAY for Chicago Fire :) :)

• Trent says:

Chicago Fire was fantastic last night. So intense and emotional. I love all the characters, from Severide, Peter Mills, Dawson and Shay to Mouch and Pouch. And the storyline about the poor little boy in the trash chute, followed by that full dress firehouse salute just reduced me to tears. LOVE this show!

8. Jared says:

I’ve officially given up on Nashville. Love both Connie and Hayden but this show BORES me to death!

• Eric says:

I’m with you Jared! The past 3 Nashville episodes plus this one are just sitting in my DVR, because I have been bored by this series. Thank you for letting me know that I can safely delete them from my DVR.

• Toni says:

Are you kidding?! Those episodes are some of the best. Don’t delete them just yet!

• Eric says:

Okay Toni, I’m going to take your advise. But if I waste 2 hours of my life this weekend, I’m going to think twice before taking your advise again ;) J/K

• wrstlgirl says:

Good luck. While I agree that some episodes are better than others for me that does not make the series itself a winner. For the most part Nashville, as a whole, is boring.

• Abby says:

The last three episodes have been the strongest of the series. Has Def gotten better.

• dmac says:

Agreed, I have given it more than enough chances and I am still bored with it. Last night I finally deleted the taping of future episodes on my DVR. I have never really warmed up to Rayna and it kills me because I usually like the women that Connie plays, but her character in Nashville is neither sympathetic or compelling.

9. Meg says:

I know you only do cable ratings for “special” episodes and I’m fully aware the ratings for cable come in later than the network ratings, but will you be updating with the ratings from Psych’s 100th episode?

10. Babybop says:

I’m not surprised The Middle was down considering it was a repeat for the last couple of weeks. It was confusing because the other Wednesday shows weren’t repeats… I think that hurt it.

11. Maggie says:

bummer about Arrow, that was a really good episode last night!!

12. wrstlgirl says:

Haven’t had a chance to watch last night ep of Chicago Fire but I’m sure it was fantastic. I did watch Nashville and for the most part enjoyed the episode. I basically ignore Rayna and Juliette and focus on Deason/Scarlett/Gunnar and yes, Avery. Interesting how now Scarlett is in the same position that Avery was in when he abandoned his band. Funny how the tables turn :-) Shocked to see Arrow drop that much. Personally I’m way more interested in the show now that Manu Bennett has been made a regular for next season.

13. TV Gord says:

Chicago Fire was GREAT last night! I’m glad more people were watching!

14. Scott Jones says:

I agree with the previous posters. ABC yanks shows for weeks at a time, then they come back with little to no promotion. I had no idea that Nashville was new last night until I checked the guide. Every time a show gains momentum it goes off for weeks at a time. I can’t tell you how many shows had me until they took a long hiatus, then once they came back I had lost interest, or said “I’ll just catch up on DVD later.” With shows like Scandal finally gaining some attention and buzz, why in the world take it off for so long? I get they want to save new episodes for May sweeps, but come on, there has to be a better strategy. I’d prefer a shorter tv season with less hiatuses than this current model. Give me 22 episodes straight then take off for a few months – fine. Just don’t yank me in and out of a story and expect me to still care when you come back 4-6 weeks later.

15. Jim says:

ABC’s scheduling is horrendous. If you don’t have a DVR, you can’t possibly be expected to keep up with their shows, period. If you do have a DVR, you probably don’t watch their shows when it counts. There needs to be some house cleaning over at ABC.

16. Madeline says:

Nice to see SPN steady as she goes! Hoping to see an uptick in the finals for Arrow.

17. David4 says:

I really find it interesting that no show after Modern Family really does amazingly well, everyone seems to just shut the TV off. However The Voice bumps everything on NBC through the roof.

Also watch The Neighbors people! It’s the best new comedy of the year. Just don’t watch the pilot. The season finale was great fun “I plan on staying here for 6-7 more seasons… I mean years”, too much fun.

• Nero theTVFiddler says:

I’m glad you brought this up, because this segues into what I was going to mention: next Wednesday [April 3], 9:30pm/ABC, Sarah Chalke’s ‘How To Live With Parent’s debuts. This is it – it’s show time for ABC. They need to hit this out of the park – the entire lineup next Wednesday. They’ve got all new episodes, with Suburgatory moved back into the 8:30 slot.
      We need to see ratings improvement across the board next Wednesday night – Middle, Suburg, ModFamily, Live w/Parent and Nashville – clean sweep. If we see ratings decline on all these shows next week, panic time. A big night for Suburgatory, Live w/Parents and Nashville. especially for Nashville. If ModFamily and Parents do well next Wednesday night (I think they will), Nashville really needs score big. This is it.
      FYI – Sarah’s big guest spot on Grey’s is tomorrow night/Thursday – should be a good show, and I assume (hope) ABC will be in overdrive promoting this coming Wednesday’s shows and ‘Parents’ premiere.

18. Jon Bentley says:

Agreed with David4 about The Neighbors. So hope it gets renewed; such a fun show and Simon Templeton continues to win me over each week.

19. Jenn says:

Chicago Fire last night was amazing. I cried at the end. Very emotional. I am glad to see the ratings go up. It’s a show that needs to stick around for a while. Excellent cast and writing.

20. Bobby says:

Chicago Fire was fantastic last night. Glad to see it get an uptick but I really think these breaks tend to kill a shows momentum =/

21. Britta Unfiltered says:

Modern Family was new last night? That’s weird, my DVR didn’t catch it. I’m starting to intensely dislike Comcast’s DVR service. I had three nights last night where it went on the fritz and didn’t record a single thing, and one of those nights was a Community night, and another night was Justified night, so Comcast is on my crap list right now. You do not get in between me and Justified or you will lose a finger.
    Brought to you by “cool story, dude.”

22. Melody Paris says:

Don’t get me wrong, I love Arrow, but heck, I have to praise Supernatural and the fans (of whom I’m among) for actually beating out its lead-in. I hope Arrow comes back up of course, but it’s still cool to see those numbers for such an old show. Just simply awesome SPN Family!

23. Ethel says:

I thought the Neighbors was great last night. It has finally hit its stride and the lead Aliens become more likable by the week. The actress who plays Jackie Joyner Kersee is one of the prettiest women on TV. Get rid of Dick Butkus…..he annoys me as I spend more time trying to determine if it is a boy or girl in the role. Hoping it gets renewed