Grey's Anatomy Casting News: White Collar's Hilarie Burton Lands 'Special' Sweeps Role

Get More: Casting News

Grey's Anatomy Cast Hilarie BurtonHilarie Burton is scrubbing into Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital.

The White Collar actress has landed a recurring role on ABC’s Grey Anatomy, E! Online reports.

RELATED | Save the Dates: Our Calendar of More Than 100 Season and Series Finales!

Burton will make her debut in early May as a craniofacial specialist who visits the hospital to work on a case.

In addition to USA Network’s White Collar — where her character, Sara, appeared to be saying her goodbyes in the Season 4 finale — Burton starred on One Tree Hill. She recently booked a lead in the Fox drama pilot The List.

Comments (43)

• Obligatory Denny Duquette/Jeffrey Dean Morgan comment!

(Also, yay! Love her!)

Comment by Amanda – March 28, 2013 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hilarie just had a kid with Jeffrey Dean Morgan. so there’s that…

Comment by rebecca – March 29, 2013 05:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Recasted Izzie!? I kid i kid

Comment by ggny – March 28, 2013 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ooo. I like her! She has such a beautiful face. I am looking forward to her storyline. I hope she’s also there to put another spanner in ‘Jolex’

Comment by MadamePom – March 28, 2013 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is it bad if I wish now that her show on FOX wouldn’t get picked up and she’d stay on GA for next season? ;)

Comment by SylwekG – March 28, 2013 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She needs to stay on Greys! :)

Comment by Arie – May 11, 2013 04:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope she’s had a snack since “White Collar,’ where she grew increasingly, scarily skeletal.

Comment by Lyn – March 28, 2013 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS!!!

Comment by Paul – March 28, 2013 08:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope this takes her off of White Collar permanently. Can’t stand her.

Comment by lyn – March 29, 2013 07:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I hope she is off white collar.I. didn’t. Like her character.

Comment by Sam perrty – May 5, 2013 06:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My hubby and I talked about this during the last run of White Collar. She looks gaunt and ill. She’s beautiful but she’s so thin it’s taking away from her beauty IMO.

Comment by MissMe – March 29, 2013 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She is either another love interest for Alex (they meet through the Africa program) which I’ll hate since I think him and the intern (can’t remember her name at the moment) are great together….or Merideth and Derek’s baby is going to be born with a cleft lip which I’ll hate even more because they need a break at some point…

Comment by Billy – March 28, 2013 06:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Surely Avery can sort out a cleft lip?..

Comment by MadamePom – March 28, 2013 06:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh, I hated her on White Collar and I am not looking forward to her Grey’s stint.

Comment by Katie – March 28, 2013 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yep. She can’t act. So glad she left White Collar.

Comment by dee123 – March 29, 2013 03:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now she would be perfect for Alex, hope they pair her with him!

Comment by chris – March 28, 2013 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Absolutey. The. Worst. Idea. Ever. Worse. Than. Work. It. On. ABC.

Comment by dude – March 28, 2013 08:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hilarie Burton is a horrible actress! Can’t stand her! Ugh.

Comment by Kelly – March 28, 2013 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love her…but I cannot imagine her playing a doctor …

Comment by Vdforme – March 28, 2013 07:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Craniofacial specialist I think means she’s a plastic surgeon, which somehow seems more plausible. Also, have you SEEN the other doctors on this show? Let’s just say she won’t look terribly out of place.

Comment by wordsmith – March 29, 2013 02:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Good to hear this, Love her big time

Comment by uggie – April 10, 2013 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hilarie Burton is a lovely actress, I absolutely adore her. I’m proud to see her picking up these roles because she does so well with them. Can’t wait to see how this Grey’s Anatomy role plays out :) keep up the good work hilarie

Comment by Deb – March 28, 2013 07:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Hilarie, and think she is beautiful and a very talented actress. Can’t wait to see what her storyline is!

Comment by Tracey – March 28, 2013 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh NO! She’s such a bad actress. I had to endure 6 years of her ruining One Tree Hill, she was awful on White Collar and now she’s crapping on Grey’s too? Wish she’d stay on her stupid pilot so I could avoid her like the plague.

Comment by dude – March 28, 2013 08:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LMFAO! I totally agree. She’s a terrible terrible actress! Annoying too!

Comment by Kelly – April 2, 2013 08:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It is too bad that they didn’t use her sparingly in White Collar because the character she played (Sara) and HB’s portrayal of her fell flat in my opinion. Lessened the enjoyment of my favorite show with the episodes that she was in. I had never seen her on any other show, so I must say that tainted my view of her acting. Maybe these other roles she is getting will suit her better. I have never seen Grey’s Anatomy either.

Comment by JBC – March 28, 2013 09:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this is a great news, love Hilarie and I can’t wait to see her in GA

Comment by simy – March 29, 2013 01:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • love her!!! can’t wait :) :)

Comment by Elyse – March 29, 2013 02:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This will be fun to see :)

Comment by Ted – March 29, 2013 04:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so happy for Hilarie… i hope that she return in white collar season 5 because i love sara ellis and i love neal and sara together…

Comment by Virginia Rebel – March 29, 2013 07:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best news ever! can’t wait. I love hilarie

Comment by Toms1€ – March 29, 2013 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh I totally love her! She’s great on White Collar (everybody should know because everybody should watch this amazing show!!) and I really like seeing her in Grey’s for a visit! Looking forward to it.

Comment by Caro – March 29, 2013 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nice! I like her. Pretty funny that she is with Denny in real life.

Comment by LaurenMC – March 29, 2013 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like this. I loved her on OTH, wasn’t too much a fan of her character on White Collar. I don’t think the character was written that well, it wasn’t much the acting but the character. I can’t say I’d of liked her more if someone else played her. So i look forward to this and her pilot.

Comment by Cat – March 29, 2013 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For starters, she’s an ATROCIOUS actress…..for seconds she sent an audition tape in for Greys in 2009 when she first dropped pregant with Denny’s kid…and now she finally gets the role? Hummm….no guesses for who’s back she rode in to this role on!

Comment by Ano – March 29, 2013 08:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It couldn’t have been said better.

Comment by Glock – March 30, 2013 06:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yayyy!!! LOVE Hilarie, so glad to see she’s doing awesome gigs since leaving crappy One Tree Hill.

Comment by Ella – March 31, 2013 11:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t stop laughing at all the comments. Saying you can’t stand a person b/c you don’t like their acting is heavily overstated. Most people who don’t like her acting skills are either fans of Brooke and Lucas (OTH) or didn’t want her with Neal (White Collar). I find it hysterical that people can base their opinion of an actor’s skillset by which pairing they ship. Obviously she isn’t a horrible actress, or she never would’ve been given a role in the first place, let alone a recurring one. To whoever said that she road in on JDM’s back to get this role is being absolutely ridiculous. How is she going to ride in on anyone’s back when that person isn’t even on the show. JDM was killed off himself, so I don’t see him as having much say in the creative writings of this show. If you don’t like her acting, that’s fine, but don’t dispute the validity of such a statement b/c it’s merely opinion. Not to mention, it’s a television show… it’s meant to entertain. If it’s bothering you THAT much that you feel you need to quit watching a show b/c of it, then you really need to take a better look at your life. Stop watching a show b/c it’ll no longer entertain you, as it’s meant to, not b/c you have such personal distaste (which in itself is hilarious unless you know Hilarie Burton personally) for one particular character/actor.
    Speaking for myself, I’m excited to see her debut on Grey’s Anatomy. I loved her in OTH, and while I loved seeing her on White Collar, I didn’t love her character – it’ll be nice to see her try something new. Craniofacial specialist isn’t so much a plastic surgeon – it’s a specialty that focuses more on the congenital defects that might occur. While they can surgically improve the face, they also specialize in finding/treating the underlying issue that caused the individual to have the need for this type of care in the first place. So, maybe she’ll be an option for Avery? April gets on my nerves.

Comment by Kristen – April 1, 2013 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well said! People generally lash out b/c they are jealous anyhow. She’s a great actress! If she wasn’t….she wouldn’t get offered roles. Who cares if her baby daddy has ties to a show that she’s going on? Jealous people. Just jealous. :)

Comment by Nicky – June 13, 2013 11:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I Love grey’s anatomy and am happy you’re part of the show because i love you big acting

Comment by uggie – April 10, 2013 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I personally can’t wait for Hilarie to be on Grey’s. I think she was great in OTH and White Collar. I think if people are this upset about her being on it, don’t watch those episodes?
    She’s so pretty, which will mean she’ll fit in great there and in my opinion, is a very talented actress.
    However, I agree with people that she looks unhealthy thin. Eat a cake or something please Hil.

PS, please stay away from Avery, he belongs with April!!

Comment by Albie – April 12, 2013 12:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You people are harsh… I am a Tree Hill fan but there were many times I found Peyton annoying… But that was the character.. I also think there were a lot of important storylines that she did very well… I don’t think anyone ever claimed it to be Emmy worthy.. but it was great for what it was and deserves its cult following… I loved seeing her on WC.. I love seeing her in a mature role and I think her and Neal are great together… She’s got his # and I think she keeps him honest… And he shows her everything is not black & white…. They balance each other. I think she is a very good actress..and has improved since OTH… Some of you are too critical and down right rude. Have your opinion.. don’t like her.. Don’t watch.. but don’t be so cruel… I for one am open and excited to see what she does next. you don’t have to watch.. the up & down keys on your remote change the channel..

Comment by kari – May 1, 2013 10:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Kari, no one should be rude about the actress, but honest critique of her acting is good. I never saw her before White Collar, but as an original fan, the character and the acting were both a put off… The character she plays Sara never had a gradual build up and many original fans tried and expressed their opinion and say they didn’t like her character and people who were her fans and jumped on board with the show when she came on started saying everyone who didn’t like her were Haters, which was absolutely an insult to the fans who were invested in the show from season 1…. HB’s fans were loving Neal and Sara together whether it made sense or not… You say she’s got his number and keeps him honest.. exactly what I don’t like about her.. Neal Caffrey is suppose to be a romantic who can flirt effortlessly whether in a relationship or not, and Sara weighs him down. Fun, flirty romantic, and absolutely not HONEST, is the Neal Caffrey that was portrayed from the start and the character of Sara didn’t compliment the show’s premise and took a lot away from the focus of Neal and Peter, I blame the writers for that by the way…. ANYWAY, that is just my take about her in the only show I have seen her in…., I wish Hilarie Burton well in all her endeavors as she continues in her acting career. No one should be mean or rude, but everyone can critique any character or acting job of any actor or actress.

Comment by JBC – May 2, 2013 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post