Barbara Walters to Retire -- Should She Be Replaced on The View? And If So, By Whom?

Barbara Walters RetiresVeteran journalist Barbara Walters will retire next spring, TVLine has confirmed.

The move means she’ll also step down from her position as co-host of The View in May 2014, according to our sister site Deadline, which first reported the news.

RELATED | Is Elizabeth Hasselbeck Leaving The View, Too?

ABC is reportedly planning retrospectives and specials to commemorate Walters’ 52-year career in television; that content will air in the weeks leading up to her final broadcast.

Whether Walters will fully retire or appear occasionally for special reports is unknown.

The pioneering journalist was the first female co-host of NBC’s Today and the first female co-anchor of an evening newscast at ABC Evening News. She also led ABC’s news journal 20/20 for two decades. In 1997, she co-created The View, the daytime talk show she co-hosts and executive-produces.

RELATED | ABC Sets Season Finale Dates

Walters suffered a fall and a bout with chicken pox earlier this year but has since returned to her full workload. Her retirement is the second confirmed View exit this month: Co-host Joy Behar recently announced that she would leave the popular panel show after this season.

Do you think The View should replace Barbara Walters? If so, who would you like to see fill her seat? Sound off in the comments!

1. Yet Elisabeth Hasselbeck is still running rampant…

• dude says:

I’m not a conservative but I like Elisabeth on the show. It’s good to have both sides and I do like her as a person. She seems nice if misinformed quite often. I don’t think there’s need for all the hatred she gets. She’s not heading Al-Qaeda, she just has a different opinion from you.

• Cory Myers says:

I like Elisabeth. She can get on my nerves occasionally, but I feel she is great for the show. I just wonder who the new faces will be once Joy and Barbara are gone.

2. ed says:

she’ll be back.

3. A says:

Can she please take Hasselbeck with her!

4. Joe says:

Jay Leno :)

5. Tvfan2011 says:

Now she is free to run for president in 2016. I knew it.

6. Mark says:

She’s been saying for a long time that she had a date in her mind of when she was going to retire, I guess this was it. I just hope she makes it to that date. It would be a shame if she didn’t get to retire. She’s been having a lot of accidents lately though. I have to say though, I watch the View religiously and I don’t really enjoy when she’s on. She monopolizes the conversation and doesn’t always let the girls get their opinions across. So, I won’t exactly miss her. I will however miss Ms. Behar. Love her and Elizabeth’s banter. I hope Elizabeth doesn’t leave either…

7. Annette says:

Please take Elizabeth with you next May& bring on Sophia Vargas as a guest host from time to time.

8. BrazenSongBird says:

I think it would be fun to offer Kathy Griffin the gig and watch Barbara’s head spin! ;-)

9. No need to replace her. The show was designed to have 4 hosts, with her coming and going as she wants. If she’s not coming anymore, they can just replace Joy (and maybe Elisabeth), and call it a day.

10. Kim R says:

I used to watch The View daily until the whole Donald Trump thing. I thought Barbara handled the entire thing so badly that I was done. She lost my respect and after that it was hard to watch her. I tune in on occasion with she is not there but I don’t last long. :)

11. forwarddad says:

Meredith Viera

12. Morganic says:

Ann?

13. mdb says:

Dump the View and the Chew and bring back the soaps???

14. I want Anderson & Meridith! Bye Bye Elizabeth!!

15. Care says:

Stacy London would be so much fun on that show

16. IceMom says:

Time certainly brings about a change. I have watched “The View” since it’s inception; and even with all of the changes to those sitting in the co-anchor spots, I have enjoyed the show. I feel that NeNe Leakes should replace Joy Behar. Ann Curry should be chosen to replace Barbara Walters; which provides a wonderful irony and would give ABC a great advantage over NBC (once again). While I don’t always agree with the viewpoints of Elisabeth Hasselbeck, I would not like to see her leave the show. She brings another perspective to the discussion. Another person should then be added; a man’s point of view, which would be a wonderful & timely change. It should be one of the men that were not given the opportunity to take Regis’s seat opposite Kelly. We should always “take time to enjoy the view” – no matter if you are an ABC producer or a viewer.

17. Blake says:

How about they just replace The View with something actually worth watching?

18. Cici says:

I would actually like to see diane sawyer as a replacement for Barbara walters.

She can’t really express her opinion about things going on in the world on ABC news or else she’d be fired for being bias.

But I think she’d bring a philosophical and intelligent viewpoint to the show.

The whole show needs a reboot and a complete overhaul.

Dump out what’s there now and bring in new hosts who are fresh and vibrant.

19. David S says:

I’m glad we’re finally rid of Barbara Walters. That woman has an insufferable interview style which is condescending to the point of being downright disrespectful. I’m glad she’s gone. Hopefully whoever steps up next is a better person.

20. Lisa says:

The exit of Joy and Barbara gives a chance for the show to reset to its original premise. The show was initially the view from four generations. The cast aged and we lost the younger point of view. i would love to see an even wiser Lisa Ling return. An intelligent, articulate person just out of college to join Woopie, Lisa and Elizabeth would be a good mix. I have no opinion on Sherrie coming back.

21. Leila J says:

Joan Rivers. I just love her. She’s foul and vulgar, but wildly entertaining. Though she would be sure to insult someone within the first 3 seconds and the sensors would have to work overtime, she would definitely change the whole dynamic of the show. She might just be too much for daytime TV, but she definitely would not be a snooze. She would let the other hosts get in their say and still make her opinion known without coming off like a know it all. I know she has Fashion Police, but if hosting The View in addition would not stress her out or create too much of a work load, then bring on Joan! Well, that’s just my opinion…the question was asked after all…

22. Kake says:

Show just needs to go off the air when she does….Don’t need to replace Joy & whether or not Elisabeth is leaving…just all go in May of 2014 & be done with it.

23. DMC says:

I for one am glad Barbara Walters is leaving. I have watched the show from the beginning, but in the past year or so she talks over her co-hosts and interrupts conversations frequently. As a replacement, no to Kathy Griffin because she is better as a solo than with a group of co-hosts. What about a guy??

24. Michelle D. says:

Some real awesome choices to fill Barbara’s seat on the View are Tasha Smith, Kirstie Alley, Tempest Bledsoe (considering she had her own talk show), or ….wait – try this on for size – D’Atra Hicks! Can I get some feedback?? Tell me what you think.

25. Morganic says:

Kirstie all the way! Love her!! And think she’d actually be a really good choice :)

26. Pdeal says:

Anne Curry would be the best choose