Chicago Fire Spreading? NBC Considering Police-Centric Spinoff Series

Get More: News, Pilots

chicago-fire-nbc-spinoffSome infernos are just too hot to extinguish. And that seems to be the case with NBC’s Chicago Fire.

The network is reportedly considering the idea of turning the freshman drama’s Season 1 finale into a pilot episode for a spinoff series centered around the Windy City’s police department, according to our sister site Deadline.com.

RELATED | May Sweeps Scorecard 2013: Deaths, Weddings, Births, Sex, Resurrections, Firings and More!

Executive producer Dick Wolf, who’s had past successes with franchise extensions (Law & Order, Law & Order: SVU, Law & Order: Criminal Intent) for the Peacock net, will reportedly helm the spinoff along with Chicago Fire creators/executive producers Derek Haas and Michael Brandt and executive producer Matt Olmstead. Deadline reports that it’s unclear which, if any, Chicago Fire cast members would jump ship to the police-focused series.

Chicago Fire recently got its initial 22-episode order extended to 24, and despite its most recent episode cooling down 4 and 15 percent in the overnights to 6.33 million total viewers and a 1.7 demo rating, it’s been a bright spot for struggling Peacock NBC.

Would you watch a Chicago Fire spinoff? Or is it too early for the network to be extending the brand? Hit the comments with your thoughts!

Comments (64)

• Wasn’t that called “The Chicago Code” before?

Comment by Spits M Aster – March 27, 2013 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally and that show was killed too soon.Lead was in a friggin oscar nominated film!!

Comment by Shaun – March 27, 2013 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yep exactly lol

Comment by Mareesa – March 27, 2013 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • One of Fox’s many recent mistakes. Great show

Comment by Boiler – March 27, 2013 04:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I miss that show!

Comment by Robin – March 27, 2013 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was thinking the exact same thing. Man, I loved The Chicago Code. It got the boot way too soon.

Comment by Tenney – March 28, 2013 06:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Actually they could build it around Dawson’s brother. They have already had some cop centric story lines so it wouldn’t be that ‘out there’.

Comment by Tom_b – March 27, 2013 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • love this idea!

Comment by Elyse – March 27, 2013 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This, he’s a great actor, would love to see that role expanded in it’s own series.

Comment by Vinicius – March 27, 2013 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Actually it was called third watch

Comment by Tami – March 27, 2013 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Um, third watch was set iin NYC

Comment by Erin – March 27, 2013 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Whatever. Police and Firemen in the big city. Same thing.

Comment by Jeff – March 27, 2013 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yep! Although with Chicago there are some interesting ways to go.

Comment by Robin – March 27, 2013 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree! I love that this show is bringing back an element of Third Watch which I very much miss.

Comment by Amanda – March 27, 2013 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d absolutely watch a spin off. Especially if there’s the small chance that there’d be cross over episodes involving Jesse Spencer and Taylor Kinney. ;D

Comment by Sara – March 27, 2013 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would watch this in a heartbeat. Despite critic’s opinions of the show, it’s actually among the best of the season.

Comment by Esaul – March 27, 2013 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not that there was much doubt, but I’m assuming this means CF is getting renewed? And I agree, Dawson’s brother is the ideal segue for the potential new show.

Comment by Michelle – March 27, 2013 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yep, Dawson’s bro would be perfect for this. I’d watch. Have to agree that Chicago Fire is one of the best newbies this season. I look forward to watching it every week.

Comment by wrstlgirl – March 27, 2013 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i couldn’t agree more :)

Comment by Elyse – March 27, 2013 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would absolutely watch it! Chicago Fire is my husband and I’s favorite new show this season!

Comment by Alisa – March 27, 2013 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not against this idea. But having the planted backdoor pilot this season just feels too rushed – especially if they’re thinking of doing it for the finale. If they held off until early next season to do it, it would be more thought-out.

Comment by BH – March 27, 2013 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was thinking this too. I wouldn’t mind a spinoff centering on the police department at all (Dawson’s brother is a good starting point for that cast) but it seems awfully early to plan for something like that to happen this year heading into the fall season. Maybe they should hold off on the spinoff until next season when they can flesh things out better and use CF a little more to build into it. =)

Comment by HeatherC – March 27, 2013 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Exactly what I was thinking!

Comment by Jules – April 9, 2013 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this idea. NBC doesn’t have a good police procedural now, and CF really needs a good lead in.

Comment by Jaime – March 27, 2013 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • @Jamie, the spinoff will always be the ‘lead-out’. I’m amazed at how many people who think that the spinoff will lead into to the original. That makes no sense.

Comment by SP – March 27, 2013 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Pompous

Comment by B – March 27, 2013 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You make no sense, know it all. I agree with others: Pompous.

Comment by Star – March 27, 2013 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And then they spin THAT off into a show about the laywers the cops work with, surely Dick Wolf has some experience there.

Comment by J – March 27, 2013 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Clearly since L&O lasted twenty years, SVU is on its 14th, and CI went for ten. If I were NBC, I’d go to Wolf too for a show/spinoff.

Comment by Esaul – March 27, 2013 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, a second spinoff about the doctors who save the fire/police patients or lawyers who represent them. I like the former.

Comment by SP – March 27, 2013 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why doesn’t Dick Wolf just Buy NBC and get it over with.

Comment by Jeff – March 27, 2013 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If the spinoff happens can we agree to call it Law & Order: Chicago?

Comment by CoryB – March 27, 2013 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That would make sense if Chicago Fire had anything to do with the L&O universe. But since it doesn’t…

Comment by Esaul – March 27, 2013 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No, but Dick Wolf, creator of both, certainly does!

Comment by meem – March 27, 2013 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Also, they would have to use that “Chunk Chunk” sound inbetween scenes. :-)

Comment by Justin – March 27, 2013 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah, because we certainly don’t have enough cop shows on TV right now…..

Comment by Amanda – March 27, 2013 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Inferno, really? LOL! How could you possible call a 1.7 an inferno. On any other network this show would have been cancelled. It’s only because it is on pathetic NBC that it has even survived and now they want to make a spin-off! Poor NBC, what has become of you.

Comment by Justin – March 27, 2013 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There’s actually a little bit of a misconception. It’s not always about going against shows on other networks. It’s also how the shows perform internally within the network. Yes, a 1.7 would get cancelled on any of the networks (excluding CW) in a hearbeat, but for NBC, that’s exactly what they need. If their shows were getting a 2.3+, then CF wouldn’t stand a chance.

Comment by Esaul – March 27, 2013 11:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree, I would like for it to follow Jon Seda’s character, since he’s the prominent police officer on “Chicago Fire.” I’d definitely watch the spinoff; I’ve liked these types of shows ever since NBC’s “Third Watch.”

Comment by indigo15 – March 27, 2013 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why can’t NBC just send all its viewers the same drugs their executives must be taking? Then, at least, we’d all be on the same delusional page. I think one of the reasons Chicago Fire has seen some success is because it’s a little bit different than the usual police procedural (and the fact that it’s in a time slot without any real competition). But really NBC? Another police show? You really think that’s a winner?

Comment by Tom – March 27, 2013 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would watch it. I love Chicago Fire :)

Comment by Elyse – March 27, 2013 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would watch it for sure! I am actually quite excited!

Comment by sarah – March 27, 2013 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Are they crazy. A spinoff for a 1.7HH rated show? Stupid.

Comment by Stacey – March 27, 2013 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How well do you know NBC’s ratings for their other programs?

Comment by Esaul – March 27, 2013 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Chicago Fire, but I won’t watch any cop centric show based in Chicago, simply out of loyalty to The Chicago Code and my love for Jennifer Beals and Matt Lauria.

Comment by Amy – March 27, 2013 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seriously! The Chicago Code was a FANTASTIC show that was on just 2 years ago! Where were all these people then??

Comment by Vanessa – March 27, 2013 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree that Chicago Code was a good show but you’re seriously going to refuse to watch another Chicago based cop show just because one that you liked got cancelled? How is life in that box?

Comment by wrstlgirl – March 27, 2013 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep CF. Make a decent spinoff. Cancel SVU. NBC, you may finally have an idea that could produce a good police drama.

Comment by Star – March 27, 2013 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can see it now NBC scheduleing Chicago fire spinoff and the voice all over the schedule …..

Comment by Joe – March 27, 2013 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TWITTER ALERT: Chicago Fire Showrunner/EP Derek Haas tweeted (Twitter: @popcornhaas) earlier this moring the words “Dahh-Donnk!” (The Law & Order card sound) I just would not be surprised if Chicago Fire “spinned off” ‘Law & Order: Chicago’, which isn’t really a bad idea and I’d love to see CF tied with the L&O world (like NCIS: LA did with Hawaii Five-0).

But I want NBC to cancel/end SVU if they go forward with ‘Law & Order: Chicago’. SVU has gotten out of hand under Warren Leight anyway — but that’s a subject for another post on another day. Congrats to Wolf and the multi-talented cast and writing crew of Chicago Fire.

Comment by Joshua Morton (@JoshMortonCI) – March 27, 2013 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • SVU has had its ups and downs this season. There were a few episodes I truly cringed at (which is rare from me). I think the show can still do well if they avoid the obvious ripped from the headlines (Chris Brown/Rihanna).

Comment by Esaul – March 27, 2013 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah, when Elliot left, so did I. I’m sure I’m not alone. Just put it out of its misery already. It’s not like it hasn’t had an amazing run–why run it into the ground?

Comment by meem – March 27, 2013 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • The thing is, the mothership started as a show about the stories and less about the characters, which was why it was so hard to cope with Christopher Meloni leaving (similar with D’Onofrio/Erbe ((though I’d argue that’s more character focused than both SVU and the mothership combined))). Anyway, I digress. xD

Comment by Esaul – March 27, 2013 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I tried to stick it out with S14 of SVU, but when Mike Tyson (convicted rapist/alleged wife-beater) was cast and I saw how show runner/EP Warren Leight handled (or didn’t handle) it on Twitter, it was time for me to dip out of SVU.

Since season 14 started I was looking for a reason to stop watching (because I was getting bored with it), after the episode “Twenty-Five Acts,” (which IMO brought on SVU’s next best ADA, Rafael Barba (Raul Esparza) the season started to go down. Ep 300 had more hype than what was delivered. Lately it just seems SVU has to “rip a headline” or bring some personal drama to someone (mostly Amaro and Rollins)every other week, there is no more original creativeness.

I’m still an SVU-diehard, just of the show’s earlier seasons though. It’s not about Chris Meloni being gone why SVU sucks, it’s because Warren Leight doesn’t have the same “charisma” Neal Baer once had when he first joined the series in 2001. SVU can stay or go as far as I’m concerned. But if “Law & Order: Chicago” is indeed the spinoff of Chicago Fire, I hope CF’s writers head/run the project and nobody frm SVU comes to the show, except casting director Jonathan Strauss.

Comment by Joshua Morton (@JoshMortonCI) – March 27, 2013 01:27 PM PDT
  • And here i was expecting “New York Fire” and “Los Angeles Fire” to be the inevitable spin offs to Chicago Fire ;)

Comment by WiggedyWackYo – March 27, 2013 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Law & Order: Chicago. For the win…YES!!!

Comment by itstime4asitdown – March 27, 2013 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can see the name now: Chicago Police!
    or maybe Chicago Cops!
    Chicago PD
    take your pick!

Comment by lll – March 27, 2013 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would watch another show based on fireman, perhaps Boston fire, Cleveland fire, etc., but I would not watch another police show. There are too many on the air as it is.

Comment by Jon – March 27, 2013 04:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please don’t kill a good thing!! Chicago fire and the actors are amazing. If i wanted to watch a more cop-like show, I’d watch csi or Ncis. I wait 2 weeks for a new episode! (via Hulu)

Comment by Amanda – April 22, 2013 01:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t like the idea of a cop show they suck. So when it comes on I’m not watching it.

Comment by Andrea – May 16, 2013 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it’s a great idea. love this show!

Comment by Ill never tell you – June 3, 2013 11:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVE IT. Chicago Fire / PD both of them – Dick Wolf is a genius and I love all his shows.

Comment by C.Tran – January 8, 2014 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post