Exclusive

Exclusive: Syfy Picks Up Continuum Season 2, Sets Premiere Date

Continuum Season 2 Premiere Date SyfyOne week after broadcasting Continuum‘s freshman finale Stateside, Syfy has picked up Season 2 of the Canadian-produced, Rachel Nichols-fronted sci-fi series.

TVLine can also exclusively report that the aforementioned 13-episode second season will premiere on Syfy June 7 — in a new time slot, Fridays at 10/9c.

VIDEO | Warehouse 13 Promo: Myka Slugs Spike! Pete Touts Testosterone!

During its first season, Continuum averaged 1.4 million total viewers, with 540K landing in the 18-49 demo (where it ranked No. 10 among all cable fare in its time slot).

RELATED | Lost Girl Finds a Fourth Season on Syfy

Preceding Continuum‘s return in the Fridays-at-10 spot, Syfy’s Merlin will unspool its final five episodes starting May 3.

1. Lisa says:

tvline has been really confusing me lately in regards to what they cover and what they dont. for example one week theres a great recap of the following, the next week nothing. would anyone like to shed any light on why this is?

• Alan says:

its down to page views, if they dont get enough people clicking on an article then they are less inclined to make more about that topic. also the personal tastes of the people who work there come into play as well, nobody wants to do work they dont like so they wouldnt want to be writing articles about something they dont have interest in

2. xaverie says:

Always confuses me when we get American coverage of Canadian shows with messed up dates.

3. erinlikestv says:

Still no word on the renewal of Being Human? Come on, SyFy :(

• jbarker says:

It is renewed for a 4th season! it will come out in 2014 I have seen it on a couple of different sites that cover more sci-fi related things.

4. Mark says:

So they have finally learnt that the popular shows have to be shown on or at as near to the same time as they are in Canada to stop Downloading — So there isn’t another repeat of primeval: New World cancellation, a little to late, for some shows but this will boost Continuum ratings on SyFy hopefully guarantee a third season…..

• mia says:

Its not airing that close – Continuum season 2 starts in early April here. But I agree they should air closer to the real date (like Lost Girl does now). And I didn’t hear Primeval had been cancelled.

• Maryse_once says:

I agree. I’m Canadian so I don’t care about the US ratings, but it’s nice that US viewers have access to this amazing show! Happy to see the ratings have improved, the US premiere wasn’t as strong.
        S you’re right, Syfy doesn’t control the production and it’s probably better that way because it cost them a lot less to just buy the rights instead of producing it. And since Continuum is a hit in Canada, I don’t see that show ending anytime soon. My guess is as long as it airs in Canada, Syfy will buy it.

• S says:

Continuum is entirely a Canadian production. Syfy’s ratings have nothing to do with whether or not a third season will be made, just if Syfy will buy the rights to air it.

• Ally Oop says:

You are wrong. American ratings hugely influence whether or not a show gets renewed in Canada. However, Continuum has done really well in overseas sales and is doing good in domestic ratings so was renewed in Canada early on.

• Maritime Miss says:

No I think you’re the mistaken one Ally Oop. S is right, Continuum is 100% Canadian and it was renewed for a second season before it even started airing in the US so clearly American ratings don’t matter to Showcase. As long as Continuum is succeeding in Canada, SyFy will buy the rights.

5. Em says:

I’m really pumped about this! Continuum really impressed me, and I can’t wait to see what season 2 brings.

6. Roger Canada says:

Promo for the season 2 here : (with the canadian premiere date)

7. Danyelle says:

This is great news, tho I assumed as much. And I love the move to Fridays, Mondays get tough. (Not sure what any of this has to do with the Following tho LOL.)

8. Meredith says:

Sooo excited!! Hopefully more people tune in for Season 2. Can’t wait to see how Kiera and 2012 Alec are tied in to future Alec’s plan!

• I just watched the entire first season on Netflix in one day and am thrilled I don’t have to wait long for season 2. I love the cast, especially Rachel Nichols, and find the story addicting. I gave it five stars. Friday at 10 is perfect for me. I hope it finds a larger audience and is around for the long haul. I couldn’t place the actor who plays Alec til it dawned on me he was in Jericho, another show I loved. He’s totally believable as Alec. Just read that Rachel graduated Columbia with a double double major in math and economics. I now have a girl crush on her, lol.

• Kat says:

Too true! Eureka was almost cancelled like a half dozen times but kept sliding in under the radar…I just finished watching Continuum whole first season on Netflix and I am hooked…BAD. LOL Cant wait and will now be setting my DVR for Fridays at 10 and hoping I can find the last few episodes I missed online somewhere first.

9. dkd says:

An underwatched show in the U.S….and not because of downloading. There’s low awareness of this show.

• Elyse says:

I think there’s a low awareness for Syfy shows in general.

• awesome canadian says:

Agreed, just look at Lost Girl such an amazing show ! well written, great actors and so underrated IMO

• Leah says:

True. I’m only aware of Syfy shows because of my browsing habits, and I’ve never been inclined to watch them. Partly because the rebranding of Syfy makes it hard for me to take the network seriously in general, but the pundits already covered that back when the change was made.

• Shaun says:

doesn’t matter much,Syfy paying peanuts to air this show.Showcase making good choices on the scifi front.

10. Shaun says:

What Syfy should just do is go halfsies on Lost Girl and Continuum.Who could complain about a show costing half?XD

11. kirads09 says:

I am so :-D to hear this news. ♥ Continuum ♥

12. Roger says:

Great news. Love Rachel Nichols as Kiera in the black suit.

13. juan says:

please renew Being Human, it and Alphas have always been my fav. on Syfy and was very sad when that was cancelled, I do like Continuum too though

• Kristen says:

I was soooo mad when Alphas was cancelled! Gary was one of my favorite characters EVER. He made me lol every single episode. Been loving my SyFy Mondays this season: Continuum, Being Human, Lost Girl. Was thinking that Continuum season 2 would be starting in US closer to Canadian start date, mad I have to wait so long!

• Maritime Miss says:

Really? You’re mad you have to wait 2 weeks for Continuum? In Canada we had to wait a week for Showcase to air Haven, and we had to wait 2 MONTHS for Showcase to air the first half of season 4 of Warehouse 13. So you hardly have to wait at all.

• Pistol Pete 305 says:

Is That true, Alphas has been cancelled?

14. Alan says:

finally going to actually start airing season 2, i saw the first season months ago due to living in ireland so im dying to see more, seems to be a really intriguing story of cause and effect building up.

15. M3rc Nate says:

Very excited. I really enjoyed this show. However like most shows, after a few episodes i pretty much knew the “mysteries”.
    Its a personal taste thing but i was really disappointed with the writers having Kiera sleep with the slimy guy (Matthew Kellog). I get she kinda did it to get the time-machine piece back…but not really. I get they don’t want a relationship between the typical couple, her and her cop partner (Carlos), but id rather them have gone the typical. At least hes a good, honest guy.
    Overall though, excited for the next season, i had no clue about the show until it premiered on SyFy, which sucked that they had it listed as re-run because my DVR wouldnt record them cause its set to record new episodes only. Anyways, i love the show, how its shot and how its not really dumbed down to get a bigger audience.
    SyFy has and has had some amazing shows, it sucks they dont stick behind them. I loved Alphas and that got cancelled, i love Being Human and hopefully that gets renewed, i was starting to enjoy SGU and that got the Ax. I REALLY worry about Defiance. Especially because some people will not only be watching the show and investing and if the numbers arent high enough (and it seems like a high budget show, lots of CGI) it will probably get cancelled. But i also worry about the people that watch/love the first season, pay $60 for the video game, and then S2 performs lack-luster and gets cancelled.

16. TVDIVA says:

Great news. I will buy a season pass on ITUNES like I did for the first season, for Haven and for Lost Girl.

17. mia says:

And thanks tvline for how this article was written. Really respectful of its Canadian origins. Much appreciated :)

18. joterri says:

thank you syfy! finally a nice awesome show! Just made my Apr, better! now rooting for a season 3!

19. Mikael says:

I’m glad they’re not waiting until next year for season 2! The only annoying thing is that I have to manually record every episode on my dvr because DirecTV has the initial airdate as when it aired in Canada, so it thinks every episode is a repeat. And if I set it to record repeats, it would every episode every time they aired. Regardless, Continuum really grew on me and I’m excited to see where it goes. More Kellogg, please!

20. Sam Tree says:

SyFy had nothing to do with Merlin…..

21. Derek117 says:

If memory serves, when Syfy first picked up Continuum, the announcement stated they would run seasons 1 and 2 back-to-back. Which is kinda what’s happening here. However, the move to Friday at 10 p.m. is a Show Killer!

I had thought the Syfy Channel was supporting the show–but, I’m now having second thoughts because of the new date/time.

But since Continuum is a solid hit in Canada (and has good worldwide distribution) the show will go on…though maybe on a different channel in the U.S. after this year. Which is OK with me–I always wanted it on a Premium cable channel like Starz, Cinemax, of Showtime. Now that may happen.

• KevinO says:

10PM Friday is a show killer??? Didn’t Battlestar run late on Friday nights? I DVR everything–so day & time don’t really matter.

22. jim says:

love continuum. afraid that “they” dont care for the demographic that im in and hope that does in the right demo. kep it going. i intend to purchase season one on blue ray.have the same problem have to mannually record or set direct tv to record all.

23. Dave says:

Fridays at 10pm?
    Are Friggin Kidding?
    Why not just cancel it now?
    While I don’t think it’s nearly as good and I know it’s already gotten more mileage, but does anyone remember what Friday night did for FIREFLY? Obviously the network bean-counting idiots are at it again.
    Despite a number of annoying requirements to suspend disbelief and put my brain in neutral, I really like this show. I just know the Network Douchbags will screw it up.

• derek117 says:

I’m happy to see your comment, Dave, agreeing with me about the Friday Night Death Sentence. Maybe if a few others voiced similar opinions Syfy would reconsider. Syfy had a good Monday Night marketing strategy with Continuum, Lost Girl, Being There. To break it up suggests to me that the programming wizards (or HalfWits, IMO) may be attempting to “launch” a second night (Friday) of shows, and hope to use Continuum as a draw. But, pleeease: FRIDAY NIGHT????!!!! Nobody watches TV on Friday nights–especially the Continuum demographics (young, male, 20 & 30somethings). Yes, Syfy, even Nerds go out on Friday nights! Wednesdays would be a better choice.

24. ccorbett says:

Yay! The show got better and better through season 1. Glad Syfy is airing season 2 and that it’s doing well in Canada.

25. derek117 says:

I’m beginning to have less of a problem with WHEN “Continuum” (or most any show) airs on broadcast or cable TV. With iTunes and Netflix, you can pay for a season pass for most shows, including “Continuum,” and watch it whenever you want. Still, until the Nielsen Ratings people figure out a way to capture these online/time shifting viewers, we will not be counted–and this could contribute to a show’s cancellation due to perceived low ratings.

26. butthurt says:

I am still butthurt over Caprica being cancelled

27. Dawoud says:

There is one thing about Continuum that disturbs me. Mind you, I’ve only looked at the first three episodes of season 1. But the underlying message here is that the oppressive corporate world order are “the good guys,” who are protecting everybody, and the freedom fighters are “the bad guys.” Am I missing something?

• derek117 says:

IMO,what you may be missing is that the focal point of “Continuum” (thematically) is less about the evil corporations, and more about the Liber8 fighters. Are the Bad Guys really (kinda) Good Guys is the hook for this show’s first season. The question that “Continuum” plays with is: are the Liber8 members Terrorist or Freedom Fighters–which the writers hope the viewers can see as having parallels to current events. But the question for me is can the writers sustain this “hook” or evolve the show’s themes to embrace more complexity and nuance; and can they develop the characters beyond the comic-book dimensions they’ve presented thus far. Since you’ve only seen three episodes, and I’ve seen the entire first season, I won’t spoil the story lines for you–but, for me, the Jury is still out.

28. Pistol Pete 305 says:

I just started watching continuum on Netflix At like 5 a.m. And I’m up to Episode 6 So far and Im Loving it, this show is awesome so far!!! I read That season 2 is supposed to start on June 7th, is that true or has it already started? Someone please let me know? I’d appreciate it

29. Joni says:

Any idea when continuum season 2 is gonna hit Netflix ??????

• derek117 says:

Season 1 is on Netflix now, and because Season 2 has just begun airing in the U.S. the episodes are very slowly becoming available. On iTunes, the first ep of Season 2 is available–for purchase. You can also purchase a Season 2 “pass” (all the episodes, as they are released) on iTunes.

30. Hi there! I’m at work browsing your blog from my new galaxy III S! Just wanted to say I love reading your blog and look forward to all your posts! Keep up the great work!

• derek117 says:

Thanks for the Shout-Out.

I’ve watched the first two episode of Continuum’s second season, and what’s beginning to stand out to me is how one-dimensional & wooden Kiera is. The girl need humor, some more facial expressions, plus “sass”–and maybe a whole new (sexier) wardrobe, too! As written (and portrayed by Nichols) Cameron is not just an obsessed crime fighter, but cynical & smart-ass with a touch of arrogance–when there could be so much more intelligence and nuance to the character.

During the first season I understood that they wanted to establish that Kiera (like “Cameron” in the “Terminator” reboot a few years ago with Summer Glau) is a visitor from a repressed, conformist society–and all of her body movements and actions are awkward. But at this point in the overall journey of the show, I was hoping that the writers would at least begin to explore her acceptance and adjustment to 2013 morality & culture as a strong sub-text. So far, they seem satisfied to focus on the corporate evil and terrorist as freedom fighter elements; while having Kiera cry, every once and a while, when thinking of her small son who is still in the year 2077.

I’m also concerned with the writers’ decision that Kiera’s only adult (sexual) relationship is with Kellogg. The Good Girl falling for the Bad Boy DOES happen, but it’s still a cliche. And one of the things I felt the Continuum writers wanted to do was to put original spin on common stories. The goal seems to be to avoid a Kiera & Carlos hook-up, that the writers & actors have repeatedly stated at events like Vancouver Expo they believe is a tired cliche. But to me they’ve only substituted the Good Girl/Bad Boy cliche for the Co-Worker Hook-up cliche. And, a cliche is still a cliche.

So, I’ll be watching the final eleven episodes of this season–and hoping to see some Kiera/Carlos action…and Kiera begin to enjoy living in her current time!

31. dmansfield says: