How I Met Your Mother Season Finale Mystery: Is Happy Endings' Casey Wilson You-Know-Who?!

How I Met Your Mother Season 8 Spoilers Casey WilsonHow I Met Your Mother has landed a simply a-mah-zing guest star.

Happy EndingsCasey Wilson has signed on to appear in the CBS comedy’s May 13 season finale, TVLine has confirmed.

PHOTOS | How I Met Your Mother: 6 Mom Theories Debunked — and Two That Could Pan Out!

According to Vulture, which first broke the news, Wilson and Key and Peele‘s Keegan-Michael Key will play a couple having dinner at the same restaurant as bride and groom-to-be Robin and Barney.

What does it mean? Could Wilson be The One? Is this much ado about nothing beyond a fun one-off appearance? Theories below, please!

1. Nooooooo says:

I like her on Happy Endings– but she is NOT the right choice for TED!
    NO NO NO

• Josh says:

You haven’t even met the character yet, so how can you possibly know?

• Scott says:

Casey Wilson would be exactly the right choice for the mother. In fact, she would be ah-mah-zing! She’s not a completely unknown actress and she is absolutely hilarious on Happy Endings, I think she would fit right in despite the obvious cynical comparisons between Ted/Barney/Robin/Lily/Marshall and Max/Dave/Alex/Jane/Brad which some people might make.

But the simple truth is that Happy Endings is most likely done at the end of this burnt off third season and unless TBS want to show it the same love they showed Cougar Town, then Casey Wilson could do a lot worse than be the mother for HIMYM’s final season. And if not, then how about Elisha Cuthbert for the mother, assuming Bays and Thomas don’t reveal her face until the 9th season premiere (which I can easily see them doing).

• JASon says:

Lyndsay Lohan is going to be the mother!

• Meg says:

I’ve always seen the mother as a brunette. Probably because when they made it seem like Stella was going to be the mother the kids turned from brunettes to blondes. I think Casey would be fabulous as the mother.

• tara17 says:

I agree.

• fabmeq says:

The mother should have blue eyes with a strong probability because her two children have clear eyes. Furthermore she is brown because the children have brown hairs, finally she should look like Robin because A man falls in love with a feminine style generally.
            Then casey wilson is a good choice , I think.

2. lefty says:

Hmm…I feel like she’d be a great addition to the core group. She has a fun sense of humor and could hang with ‘em.

3. Maki says:

OMG! She is perfect! Such a beatiful girl! I LOL my ass off everytime I see her on HE!

4. Mare says:

As much as I LOVE Casey Wilson, unless she shows up at Barney and Robin’s wedding as well as the train station afterwords, she’s not the mom.
    This just shows how devoted I am to HIMYM. And that I need a life XD

• Summer Syn says:

She would need to be the Bass player in the wedding band, that’s the important part.

• april-ann says:

True. We do know that she was Ted’s ex gf Cindy’s friend and former roommate and the reason they’re playing at the wedding is because Ted ran into Cindy and Cindy’s friend’s band had a cancellation that night. Back then, Cindy’s roommate was all kinds of cool, being into so many things Ted liked. But even though she loved and was into cool music, I’m kind of hoping that she’s hoping to get out of the music biz, that she loves music but sucks at playing it. I hope she’s artsy; just that the music thing didn’t turn out and she’s looking to get out of it. Either that, or she really, really hated the architectural course she took as an elective at university.;)

5. Aly says:

Her looks are right, brown hair and blue eyes. Maybe, maybe.

6. Gold Rhapsody says:

For the finale, HIMYM should just cast a whole lot of actresses who could be potential mothers in order to throw everyone off. Everyone would be left wondering after every casting announcement ‘Is that the mother? Is it her?” then in the episode, just have them all at the wedding but at the right moment we will have our answer.

• Wenders says:

THIS WOULD BE HILARIOUS.

• Emily says:

This is a great idea! Also, they could shoot different endings to really keep everyone on their toes. I think it would be cool if they didn’t even let the actors in on who was the mother until the very end or beginning of next season!

• Devon says:

It’s very possible. Jason Segel never knew that his father died until Lily told him while they were filming.

• Nero theTVFiddler says:

I think this is a strong possibility – they need to keep the id of the mother secret for as long as possible – potentially right up to the weekend before the Monday broadcast. They probably will film a couple of different actresses at the train station platform for the encounter/meeting w/Ted.

• Emster says:

And they don’t have to make a decision until after Upfronts in May when we hear the fate of various shows and pilots! The last shot is a pan of the room with lots of mystery brunettes chatting in the reception, then the first shot of the new season is seeing one of the girls go up to the stage and grab her bass.

• april-ann says:

Yes that would be fun, and we’ve already seen part of our “answer” at play when an ep that already aired shows Ted smiling, staring at a band member.

• megslin says:

YES DEFINITELY. Because I do NOT want it spoiled, only for the simple fact that I’d be sitting around going “no no no it can’t be her” for months.

• Karen says:

I think it would well be Robin and Barney turns gay or something in the end… * *there is just too much history there* *

… remember the photo of Ted’s children with ONLY aunt Robin at the zoo? Why would there be only Robin? Why they won’t draw a pic of their mom instead…

• Ted Barney says:

Yeah I think Barney and Robin break up and Ted marries Lily. Ted and Marshall share a common wife and live happily ever after ;-)
        P.S.: The kids are adopted or just a figment of imagination of Ted

7. Anthony says:

Well, since we saw The Mother’s current boyfriend Lewis(Louis?) last night and he wasn’t played by Keegan-Michael Key, no, she’s not the mother.

• David S says:

Bingo, Big Tone. Definitely not the mother. Probably something akin to Jaime Mays appearance – just someone for Robin and Barney to be foils of.

• Juan says:

That’s exactly what I was thinking, the mother is with a boyfriend we me already

• erin says:

it’s still 45 days away. they could break up between the time we saw louis and the time she has dinner with another man.

8. Sarah Beth says:

I would actually start watching “How I Met Your Mother” regularly again if Casey Wilson was the mother. Only if that didn’t also include the demise of “Happy Endings,” which would be TRAGIC.

9. Andy says:

I’d be happy with her as “the one”, but if the mother ends up being a series regular next season, and Casey is the one, I’d be even more worried about Happy Endings’ chances.

10. Philip says:

An ex-SNLer coupled with an ex-MADTVer??? Interesting!!!

11. A.D. says:

Please GOD No!

12. She’s not, as the role described in this article has nothing to do with being a member of the band at the wedding, and it clearly has more to do with a Barney/Robin plot than a Ted plot.

• Jusa says:

Just because she is at a restaurant as part of a couple does not mean that she cannot be in a band. People in bands have to eat after all. :) Perhaps Robin and Barney are out for dinner and are having a discussion about not being able to get a band for their wedding. Casey, who is at the next table over, overhears them and says, “Hey, I’m in a band, and we’re ah-mah-zing! Hire us!”

I’m not saying that this will happen, but just because the article says they’re a couple in a restaurant does not mean that it’s impossible that she is the mother. After all, I seriously doubt that a news blurb about a casting is going to ruin such a huge thing as who the mother is by saying [insert actress here] has been cast as a bitchin’ bass player at Robin and Barney’s wedding. That would give everything away.

• Jusa says:

Sorry, I didn’t intend for that to sound so harsh.

• it’s cool, heh.

But the show isn’t called “How My Best Friend Met Your Mother While He Was Having Dinner In A Restaurant With My Ex-Girlfriend”. The show is about how the protagonist meets the mother. The show didn’t build up the reveal to have it play out that badly..

Besides, we already saw in the flash-forward to the subway scene that it was Ted who gets the band after he bumps into the mother’s roommate.

• himymfan says:

I read somewhere that there is an a-hole couple at a restaurant where Barney and Robin go to have dinner together and they decide to take this couple down. With this casting news, perhaps this spoiler really is true. So, my theory is that this is the couple who previously had booked the mother’s band and then B/R “take them down” and it causes them to break up. Remember Cindy told Ted that the mother’s band was playing for another gig, but it fell thru? Perhaps this couple was the gig the mother was supposed to play at, but they break up, leaving it wide open for the mother’s band to play at B/R’s wedding.

• That makes sense.

• KB says:

Also in the last episode Ted said that themother was dating a Wall street guy, we saw that guy at the end of the episode when Ted ( in his head) is at her apartment, and that was not Key from Key and Peele.

• That’s an interesting thing. Just because he meets the mother at the wedding it doesn’t mean that it’ll be love at first sight and it’ll jump into a wedding. I bet the next season will be the one in which they date and whatnot.

13. Billy Bob says:

Nope. Not the one. The producers won’t let this one slip through until the second it airs.

14. Mari says:

I thought the mother was blonde.

• Mike says:

No, the miter is definitely not blonde, because we saw what the kids would look like if Stella was the mother, who was blonde

• Eric says:

Is she? I always assumed she had black hair because, in a past episode when Ted imagined what the children he could have with Stella would look like, his imaginary kids had blonde hair (like Stella). So I just figured that, because Ted’s actual children are dark-haired, so is the mom.

• Babybop says:

I thought she was blonde too!

• Tee says:

Yeah I thought we saw the back of her head at some point and there was blond hair. I don’t remember for sure now, but I’ve thought she was a blonde as well.

15. Marta says:

God, I LOVE Casey Wilson. I’d be happy to have her as the mother, but that would mean my precious Happy Endings would have been canceled and that would be tragic.

16. Mike says:

I love Casey Wilson, so I’d be all right with her as the mother.

17. No! No! No! Stay on Happy Endings~~!!

18. Mike says:

Ted said that the mother was the bass player in the band at Barney’s wedding. So if she is in the bass player in the band than she is the mother.

19. rachelle says:

Nooooooo! I want Casey to stay on Happy Endings. I love her. =(

20. Danny says:

Nope. No way. I won’t allow it. She doesn’t seem like a good fit at all. If anyone from that crappy Happy Endings is gonna be Teds wife, it should be Damon Wayans Jr. Now THAT would be a great twist.

21. I am pretty sure she is not the mother.

22. Jessa says:

I can see her singing showtunes with breakfast foods.

23. Zachary says:

I would be shocked to see the mother prior to the finale, but I could see Josh Radnor and Casey Wilson together.

24. jarvo says:

Maggie Wilkes – Episode number: 5×10

25. Allison says:

I agree. They should cast tons of women and then the mother is an unknown actress.

26. Gary says:

She’s probably just gonna be comic relief in the episode like Hurley was. The Mother has already shot her scene, and…. yeah Wilson ain’t her. Leaves much to the imagination though.

27. Tenney says:

I will be so disappointed if she is the mother. Her character is so annoying on Happy Endings that she makes it unwatchable to me.

• april-ann says:

I would be disappointed too. She just doesn’t have “the” look to me. She doesn’t need to be funny herself, so no comedian needed. She just needs to play well off all the others. About the look, I don’t really want to get into looks here, but let’s face it looks play a part or else why didn’t Barney propose to Patrice or why doesn’t Ted fall in love with Patrice. So, looks matter somewhat here. Let’s not forget that up until very recently, Robin was the love of Ted’s life (or so he thinks). And she is absolutely gorgeous. So, we need someone who can at least measure up to Robin. Whether anyone likes it or not, fans will measure her against Robin. I’m sure the girl in the picture above is very nice, but that is not a cute looking girl by any stretch of the imagination.

28. JeniLee says:

I dont think we will meet the mom in the finale. It will end with the scene we already saw Ted looking up and seeing the umbrella at the train station and it will end there. We wont meet mom till next season

29. april-ann says:

If she is, there goes my fond hope of the mom being the expressive, lovely, beautiful and talented Sarah Lancaster.

• Nero theTVFiddler says:

I’ve just read all the comments/posts and many are quite good, but your comments [April-Ann] are closest to mine – you’ve got your head on straight about this. I like what you said in the prior post, and you said it in a delicate manner regarding Casey Wilson. She’s wonderful, a funny actress and now has experience doing a comedy series so she could hit the ground running next fall as the mother. HOWEVER, as you noted perfectly, the number one criteria for the actress who will play the mother/Ted’s wife: how does she hold her own sitting next to Cobie/Robin at the table-read? Ted can’t settle for anyone less, not after all this time. The mother has to be someone who can hold her own next to Robin – ‘a wow moment’ when we all see her. That is a high hill to climb, a real challenge, but there are actresses out there who can do this – who have the look and the skills.
      As you mentioned, Sarah Lancaster’s name has come up – she’s not my #1 choice, but right now, she’s my #2 choice, so that’s fine by me – if it is Sarah L, terrific. Sarah L provides a good example of someone who could handle this role and the dynamic with Robin.
      It will be interesting to see how this all plays out, but at least you’ll know that if you are incorrect in your theory regarding the mother and Robin, at least you won’t be alone because it will mean I’m incorrect in my identical theory as well. I’m betting we’ll both be proven correct in May’s finale. Sarah Lancaster, or someone very much like her in looks, age, etc. will be the mother.
      [BTW, my #1 choice is Erica Durance/Smallville-Saving Hope - probably a long shot, but I think a very, very good choice. She has a 'Robin/Victoria' vibe about her that cannot be denied - I've watched her on Saving Hope recently - it's all there. She and Ted would make a knock-out couple and a fascinating dynamic with Robin.]

• Patrice and her yellow umbrella says:

I think [I know] the mother will be me, and I think the two of you are missing an important aspect of the storyline. I could have had Barney, but I also wanted Barney to be happy and with Robin. I could be the one for Ted. Who has always been there for Ted, or Barney, or Robin when things went badly for them? Who was always there when Ted needed a friend? That’s right – me. You’ll see – I also have a yellow umbrella and I like trains. I don’t play bass, but I do play the harmonica – that’s pretty close. Your theory on who the mother should be will be proven incorrect this May, but I forgive you both just as I’ve always forgiven Robin when she has one of her outbursts. Kindness is the most appealing aspect in a person – Ted will see that.

• april-ann says:

Hey, thanks Nero! I always admire your posts. And I agree with you too about the Robin factor here, and I think you said it best, about Ted (and us fans) not settling for less after all this time. We need the “wow moment”, at least I sure do! I also like your #1 choice, and agree with your post below about the age of the mother. It WILL be interesting to see how it all plays out, and nice to know I’m not alone if this theory doesn’t pan out!

• Nero theTVFiddler says:

Another interesting possibility – Ted will need a date for Robin-Barney’s wedding – I assume he won’t want to go alone. Since we know Ted won’t be dating anyone seriously in the next 45 days, who would be a great date for Ted for that May wedding? Patrice. She was instrumental in getting Barney and Robin together, and I think she would bring an interesting counter-point to the gang. I bet Ted could learn some important life-lessons from her, gain a new perspective on people and on the type of unquestioned kindness that Patrice is all about. It would be pretty cool to have her hang out with the gang and w/Ted for a couple of episodes leading up to the wedding. And her being around would drive Robin crazy. ;)

• april-ann says:

Good points! Patrice would LOVE to go to Robin and Barney’s wedding, and she should of course be there. I really do like Patrice (and probably shouldn’t have used her as an example in my previous post!) and do not think we have heard the last of her (at least I hope not!). And true, she could teach Ted et al a few things. I always thought, especially after this week’s episode (sort of depressing) that Ted will somehow accept it that he has not met the one, stop actively searching and just get on with his life. When he does, that’s when it will happen.

30. JASon says:

Will the mother have any kind of role in the final season or are they just going to have her in the final episode? If that’s the case it could be an extra from central casting and who cares!!

I would like to see someone with comedy ability be the mother. Lyndsay Lohan would be good. Maybe Jenny McCarthy.(or how about her cousin Meliisa MCCarthy) Abby Elliot, Sarah Silverman and Mila Kunis would also be good choices!

31. Billy W says:

She’s a one-off and likely not the last one for the season finale. The writers and producers KNOW that the audience is already expecting to meet the mother on the season finale so if they say _____ is guest starring on the season finale the audience is automatically going to assume ____ is the Titular mother. However if they bring in 3-4 guest stars that still leaves some room for mystery and surprise and a mini debate of “Who among the 3-4 guest stars SHOULD be the titular mother?”

32. cjeffery7 says:

FAN FICTION GOLD.

33. cjeffery7 says:

Penny & Ted? Oh yeah, I SEE IT.

34. R says:

Still hoping the mother is Cheryl Leigh, I miss her on Grey’s Anatomy

35. Ella says:

I LOVE her! Ooh, will she be the mother? The kids’ hair would fit. Still think it should be fan favourite Charisma Carpenter though.

• Nero theTVFiddler says:

Good choices – both your choice [Charisma] and prior post by ‘R’ [Chyler Leigh] – both gals are in my ‘top-10′ list for ‘the mother’. However, and I want to say this as delicately as I can – Charisma is a knock-out, a great looking, talented actress – she’s on fire in Lying Game cable series. HOWEVER, she’s not the right age for this role. Gotta be someone younger than Ted/Josh by at least a couple to a few years [1976-1983 range +/-]. I don’t envy casting directors/agents – it is hard to pick one talented actress over all the others, but that’s what the HIMYM team is facing – they have to hit a home run with this choice. They get one shot at getting this just right.

36. Ryan says:

Please be Zooey Deschanel, please be Zooey Deschanel, please be Zooey Deschanel

37. Joey says:

I think its time to accept that there is no mother. That future ted is telling this story to kids that are not really there. The series finale will show his fall into madness.

38. shuayb says:

As much as I think she would b right for the role, I hope not. When they reveal the mother I want to be gobsmacked and shocked at the choice. The casting nhas to be Super secret

39. greytop says:

I most definitely think that she’s a relative or maybe sister of the mother. And the mother is a brunette so it’s a possibility.

40. Andrew says:

Yes! Penny being the mother will be ah-mah-zing and legendary! :D

41. Patty Stamps says:

I’m just so sick of this damn show. If Casey Wilson became a regular next season as the mother, it would make things so much more interesting.

42. Ray says:

So she just got engaged in Happy Endings and now has a guest role in HIMYM?

Please, let it be the year of Penny all over again!

43. Erika says:

May or may not be. I feel like the creators wouldn’t tell us though – keep it under wraps for the mystery, you know?

44. Woo! says:

Olivia Munn should be the mother, especially if the mother will be a part of the show next season.

45. Your mom says:

she’s not hot enough

46. Karen says:

I think you’re all forgetting that in one of the episodes (I can’t remember which one), but the narrator tells us that we’ve already met/seen her in passing.

47. Martha says:

I think lily is the mother . Why would Ted show her his new house while Marshal is away ?

• LILYPAD says:

I am not the mother!!! I am not the mother!!!! Recollect episode from 60 years from now when I catch my Marshmellow opening my “death folder” …

;-)

48. kfaff says:

It should be Michelly Monaghan or Jennifer Lawrance(although lawrence may be to young to act as a 30 year old maybe).

• jack says:

Oh my god. Michell Monaghan would be absolutely perfect. Of all the suggestions I have read on here that’s the only one that would fit. He needs someone who is funny, but not soooo funny–it can’t be a gimmicky funny like Casey does. It has to be a real life type of funny.