Dancing With the Stars Week 2 Results: Did the Right Couple Go Home?

DWTS-results-season-16Just two performance shows into Dancing With the Stars‘ intriguing Season 16, it seemed almost impossible to predict the poor souls destined for a humiliating lead-off heave-ho.

Many of the judge’s early accolades focused on 16-year-old Disney star Zendaya Coleman, whose surprising, out-of-the-gate prowess — what about last night’s jive-tacular performance? — has already provided some welcome buzz after the predictability of much of last year’s All Stars themed season.

Better yet, with Idol alum Kellie Pickler, Olympian Aly Raisman and NFL star Jacoby Jones also dazzling early, things are looking competitive (and glittery) atop the standings.

On the flip side, the bottom of the leaderboard was littered with prospective also-rans: Comedian D.L. Hughley had the lowest two-dance tally, followed closely by Dorothy Hamill, Wynonna Judd, Victor Ortiz, Lisa Vanderpump and Andy Dick. As a result, I tuned into tonight’s first live results show with rapt anticipation and more than a little sweaty-palmed confusion.

While we waited, the usual DWTS results show preliminaries – an encore dance by top Twitter fan faves Zendaya and Val, non-stop highlight (and lowlight) clips, and performances by the DWTS Troupe/pros and special musical guests Icona Pop and Josh Groban – kept the fast-paced proceedings (relatively) interesting.

But without further ado, here’s the real moment of truth — tonight’s results:

FINAL THREE COUPLES LEFT “IN JEOPARDY” (note that the neophyte pros were the ones in danger)
Victor Ortiz and Lindsay Arnold
Lisa Vanderpump and Gleb Savchenko
Andy Dick and Sharna Burgess

FINAL TWO COUPLES LEFT “IN JEOPARDY”
Victor Ortiz and Lindsay Arnold
Lisa Vanderpump and Gleb Savchenko

ELIMINATED
Dorothy Hamill and Tristan MacManus (withdrew)

“I’ve taken the advice of my spine surgeon and I need to withdraw from the competition,” said a gracious but emotional Hamill, who’s suffering from a cyst in her back. “I have an injury that could be irreparable…it would be completely unfair of me to stay in this and have any of these people go home. I can’t do what I need to.”

“I wish I could give it my all but I can’t,” added Hamill, to a standing ovation from the crowd.

Tristan was equally classy in his comments. “It’s a decision that has to be made. I’m certainly not frustrated at her, I’m frustrated with her,” added Tristan. “There’s something a lot bigger going on than this competition.”

Tom then reminded Victor and Lisa to take full advantage of this highly unexpected one week reprieve. “Use it well,” warned Tom.

And with that, it’s your turn. Which couple should have really gone home tonight? Will Sean Lowe go shirtless before his Mirrorball dreams are dashed? Who’s your early favorite for Mirrorball glory? Sound off in the comments!

1. Jake says:

We’re victor and Lisa official bottom 2? So sad to see Dorothy and Tristan go!

• Meg says:

They only said “in jeopardy,” and not bottom 2. It’s possible they weren’t the official bottom 2.

• Stacie says:

I thought they said after Andy Dick survived Jeopardy that Lisa and Victor made up the Bottom 2. I believe they did this because they knew that Dorothy was withdrawing so they wanted to show where the votes did end up going.

• MaryAnn says:

They DID say bottom two.

• chistosa says:

Not true. After Tom announced Andy safe he announced that the last two were the actual bottom two in votes. He actually said it twice so they were the bottom two.

2. Angela says:

Sorry to hear that about Dorothy having to drop out, though I fully understand why. Ihope she manages to heal up as soon as possible.
    And I feel bad for Tristan, too. I like him, it’d be nice if he got to actually stick around for a good length of time with his partner on the show.

3. forwarddad says:

How did DL escape?

• Meg says:

The three people in the bottom all had a pro who was new to DWTS. DL is paired with Cheryl. I’d guess Cheryl’s popularity was one of the factors keeping him on the show.

• Stacey says:

Also there was backlash over the scores last week. Feeds the feeling they need to be saved. Although DL’s attitude might hurt from here on in, Cheryl’s fanbase can only take you so far. You need to behave like you want this… Or they knew Dorothy would withdraw, so they played with the bottom 3 and put only one of the real in dangers out so not feed the sympathy vote…

4. Stacey says:

It was really a reunion of So You Think You Can Dance alumni LOL. Whitney of last year’s summer edition is in the dancing troupe. While Lindsay also of last summer’s edition is one of the new pro’s. While both danced as they introduced the new dancers… Dimitri and Chelsie also alumni of So You Think You Can Dance also performed to Josh Groban’s song. I figured the show knew way earlier than they made it look that Dorothy couldn’t continue… So they used it as drama to give the in jeopardy celebs and dancers a warning to pick up their act… To bad, both new pro dancers were in jeopardy. Hopefully the one week reprieve and tonight’s introduction helps them…

5. april-ann says:

Lame, lame, lame, lame, lame, lame, lame and more lame. Total bull****, and totally planned and produced to the hilt. I like Ingo, but he’s the one who should have been sent packing, not this week but last week! Right after the show or during. The rules should not only have been bent but thrown right out the window in his case. I was so embarassed for Kim (Kym?) who not only looked but clearly WAS horrified that he was the least engaging celebrity of the night, if not EVER in the history of this show. He tried to look a little more interested at the closing when the cameras were on them, but wow that was bad, when they were awaiting their scores talking to Brooke. I don’t think I have ever seen anything like that, one of the celebrities showing little or no regard whatsoever to be the LEAST BIT engaging, and making NO EFFORT WHATSOEVER to be. After all, isn’t that the whole idea of the show and why the celebrities are on there in the first place?

• big cheddar says:

Whaaa? Are we watching the same show?

• Meg says:

Worse than Master P of season 2? I think not.

• Jen says:

Even though you started your rant with “I like Ingo…” I don’t think you do, ha. He was middle of the pack as far as dancing, and I didn’t notice the horrible attitude that you seem to have. These people have to interview with Brooke 60 seconds after dancing, so we could cut them some slack in case they might be winded!

• chistosa says:

What are you talking about? There was no attitude at all. Ingo was engaging enough. Who were you watching? His dancing is middle of the pack and he is affable. You sound like you are describing D.L. Hughley.

• april-ann says:

Don’t take my word for it. Find it and see it for yourself. Last week, the premiere, the first dance. I never said there was “attitude”. I would have preferred “attitude” to the nothing I saw from him.

• trixie says:

First of all, no one was sent home the first week, so how could have Ingo been sent home? Second, he is not the worst ever. And last, he was better than several others, attitude has nothing to do with whether someone stays or goes. They never send anyone home during the show, always after, so those points were invalid. You must not know too much about the show to make most of your comments. Sorry, nothing against you but, know the facts before posting

• april-ann says:

Wow, you’re wrong. Read it again and try to comprehend. I know the rules. I basically said in this case ignore the rules. And my post was never about his dancing, nor was it about him having “attitude”. I was merely thinking of an episode of American Idol where a contestant showed up and showed no interest whatsoever, made that clear, and Paula sent him away without even allowing him to sing. Good for her. (Yes I know those are two separate shows which have nothing to do with each other — too bad I feel it necessary to even qualify that).

6. gabby says:

I’m sad that once again Tristan is gone :( Cant he get a better partner?

• MaryAnn says:

Dorothy would have been a fantastic partner if this problem had not taken her out. She is an Olympic gold medalist, and knows what it means not to be a quitter. She didn’t have a choice. We’re talking about her spine. The show is not worth getting paralyzed over, which could certainly happen with the type problems she is dealing with.

• Adora says:

Is it me or is there something not too smart about someone with a severe health issue (such as spinal surgery etc) to subscibe to a competition as physicaly demanding as “Dancing with the Stars ???? Just saying……

7. Mo says:

I’m so ready for DL Hughley to go home

8. tammy says:

Me to please can dl.can not wait for him to go.

9. Jennifer says:

I think it’s sad that the three new pros were all in the “bottom 3″, with two of them being the actual bottom two. It just shows that the pros popularity is a big factor. They almost have to put the most popular celeb with a new pro to give them a chance.

• chistosa says:

The pros all have a solid fanbase and it is a reality show so voters will vote for their favorite pro. But last night Lisa really deserved to be in the bottom two. The 3 worst dancers over the two weeks were D.L., Lisa and Wynona. And Wynona has a good sized fan base so she won’t be leaving that early.

• MaryAnn says:

Agreed.

• april-ann says:

No she didn’t. She was very engaging. It has nothing whatsoever to do with dancing. It’s not that the pros have a solid fanbase; it has everything to do with what is in their contracts with regard to how long they will stay. Just as it has everything to do with the “stars” contracts and how long they will stay, the big names anyway. No producer worth beans to a network would allow the public to have any say whatsoever in how a major show plays out.

10. Brett Heitkam says:

It doesn’t seem fair at all for Tristan to lose out on the Mirrorball this early. He is extremely capable as a pro partner. Unfortunately, since he started with the show, he’s never had a celeb partner who could possibly win the show until this season. Nancy Grace? Close but no cigar. Gladys Knight? Please… she was precious, but not a winner. Pamela Anderson? Eliminated in the first week during all stars after already proving she wasn’t that great the first time she was on the show.

He finally gets a capable, if a bit aged, Olympic athlete as a partner, and he gets screwed. I really wish they would have a couple of back-up celebrities just in case something like this were to happen. I was looking forward to seeing Tristan make it pretty far this season… They need to stick him with a Kellie Pickler or Melissa Rycroft type for next season so we can really get a chance to see what he can do.

11. robinepowell says:

While I’m sorry they had to withdraw, why sign up when you have this cyst? Feel bad for Tristan though.

12. scooby24210 says:

How many athletes play through an injury? Yes she was diagnosed prior to he start of the show but I’m sure at the time it was thought the cyst wouldn’t impede her dancing. She did say that her Dr. advised her not to continue. I’ve heard nothing that said her Dr. advised her not to compete at all. Give her credit for sticking with her commitment to the show. At leas she gave it a shot but once she found it was too much & too strenuous, she bowed out. What if she had stayed in another week or longer (if she was able to handle the pain & her scores were high enough)? I’d have questioned that decision moreso but it wouldn’t have really bothered me if she stayed. She’s talented, she has great poise & artistic impression & she’s an American icon.